• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Loona

Setting the bar really high there, huh?

But actually, no. MK9 and definitely P4A blow it out of the water. DOA5's "story" is a joke.

My understanding of the story modes in those is that, elaborate as they may be event-wise (haven't played through either) it's mostly animation/visual novel scene -> fight -> repeat until the end, while DoA5 integrates some tutorials along the way, which fighting games often neglect. I kinda sppreciated that.

Reclaimer

Finally picked up the 360 version... But now I'm debating if I should exchange it for the PS3 version. I have a Vita and will most likely get the Vita game as well.

Any advice? I'm assuming both 360 and PS3 perform the same...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finally picked up the 360 version... But now I'm debating if I should exchange it for the PS3 version. I have a Vita and will most likely get the Vita game as well.

Yeah, 360 and PS3 are the same mostly besides minor things.

Major thing is the portable title and cross-save/cross-buy stuff for the PS3 version and the portable version.

Squire

Banned
My understanding of the story modes in those is that, elaborate as they may be event-wise (haven't played through either) it's mostly animation/visual novel scene -> fight -> repeat until the end, while DoA5 integrates some tutorials along the way, which fighting games often neglect. I kinda sppreciated that.

Good for them? P4A actually has a tutorial, so no need to clog story mode with that. If we're talking about the story of story mode, P4A definitely wins. (Dantis is just messing with my head ~_^)

DR2K

Banned

If you're getting it on Vita you should get the PS3 version. Crossave feature, unless you want to unlock everything again.

Dantis

Good for them? P4A actually has a tutorial, so no need to clog story mode with that. If we're talking about the story of story mode, P4A definitely wins. (Dantis is just messing with my head ~_^)

DOA5 didn't break my heart, so it wins. ;_;

Real talk though: I think DOA5 and Arena both have their own failures in terms of their story mode, but I think DOA5's is significantly more approachable and playable, and requires a much smaller time investment (3 hours next to 30 hours). For all the praise it got in reviews, Arena is a pretty text-book example of how not to create a sequel, how not to create a visual novel and how not to create a fighting game story mode. DOA5's story may be incomprehensible, but at least it mostly knows how silly it is, and embraces it. A lot of the fan-service scenes, like Jann Lee's nunchuk scene with Kokoro (Referencing DOA4) and Muramasa's appearance in the Hayabusa village, were genuinely nice little touches for the fans. Hilariously, I found DOA's ending twist where it all comes together very surprising, whilst Arena's story never even made me raise my eyebrows.

Arena's story is bloated and dull (I literally fell asleep a few times when I was watching it), the story is uneventful and what little gameplay is there is redundant. Not to mention that it would presumably only appeal to those who are already heavily invested in the franchise. Its only success is its length, in every other respect it is somewhere between bad and awful.

Squire

Banned
Always. ;)

But what I said is still true. :p

I dunno, I really disagree. DOA5's plot is just wasting my time. P4A isn't Shakespearisn, but it does make sense. That alone puts it above DOA5 since that's what most fighting game "stories" never do: make sense.

But I'll agree to disagree ^_^

DR2K

Banned
The BB text chat story mode set up is straight up lazy garbage. I love Persona, but I'm too impatient for that.

Dantis

The BB text chat story mode set up is straight up lazy garbage. I love Persona, but I'm too impatient for that.

It's worse in Persona because of the monologues. And because the different character's stories don't match up.

I'm playing Corpse Party at the moment, which also has inner monologues, but the significant difference is that they're succinct. I have no idea if its a fault of the translators (Unlikely) or a fault of the Atlus writers (More likely), but Arena is shoddily executed when it comes to story.

I dunno, I really disagree. DOA5's plot is just wasting my time. P4A isn't Shakespearisn, but it does make sense. That alone puts it above DOA5 since that's what most fighting game "stories" never do: make sense.

But I'll agree to disagree ^_^

I'll agree that it makes more sense, but I found it a lot less interesting. I still thought it was a neat twist when it turned out that
Kasumi is Alpha 152, and everyone is manipulating her.
Didn't expect it at all.

DR2K

Banned
It's worse in Persona because of the monologues. And because the different character's stories don't match up.

I'm playing Corpse Party at the moment, which also has inner monologues, but the significant difference is that they're succinct. I have no idea if its a fault of the translators (Unlikely) or a fault of the Atlus writers (More likely), but Arena is shoddily executed when it comes to story.

Just like Blazebore. I like the way they handled arcade mode though. That's the ideal set up for story mode ina fighter.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Cross-play and cross-save for PS3/Vita is going to be awesome, but if you keep the game on 360 and get it on Vita, you'll have a larger amount of people to play the game with. The online play is better on 360 and I always find more players on 360, although since the patch hit, there do seem to be more players on PS3 now too.

If you think you're going to want to buy outfits from PSN and don't want to have to unlock stuff twice, definitely return the 360 version for the PS3 version.

DR2K

Banned
Number 53 on PS3 ranked. Number 11 in North America. I just want Lisa's swimsuit.(+ the trophy) God damn it.

TheSeks

Number 53 on PS3 ranked. Number 11 in North America. I just want Lisa's swimsuit.(+ the trophy) God damn it.

Further proof no one is playing ranked, I guess. But soon the online will be jumping (hopefully)?

TheSeks

I'm just trollin'. I stick to player matches since ranked is too scary for me. There's only like 9 lobbies open at a time.

TheSeks

Play ranked, you can unlock new costumes, and it's fun not scary. :p

Getting my face punched in isn't fun. :(

Plus I hate getting PSN messages from random people that are the ass end of the FGC.

Skilletor

I have yet to receive a nasty message. I've received lots of ggs and even a few asking me for help playing Tina.

I even received one person who wanted to get in some longer sets since he was new.

TheSeks

I've had baddd experiences with SF3, SF4, BB, GG, VF5, ...

DOA5 would just be adding to that list. D:

Mesharey

Getting my face punched in isn't fun. :(

Plus I hate getting PSN messages from random people that are the ass end of the FGC.
Don't worry about msgs, I played more than 600 matches and received only once, I was happy about it lol. :p

Don't take rank too serious and you will have fun.

I usually send GG if the game was good.

TheSeks

I still hate ranked mode, nothing is going to change that. D:

I have yet to receive a nasty message.
I find that hard to believe. This was after my first ever ranked match and rematch immediately after with the same guy: link. I went one-to-one with his buddy too and the shit he talked would make you think he got 100 perfects on me in a row and then they both continued to dodge me and talk shit. I went from F to E to D in three matches, haha. I'll put up the match videos in a bit. The funny thing is I know I suck. I haven't really put too much time into this but now I want to just to mess these guys up even more the next time I run into them.

Edit: Here's the video of the first guy. I'll put up the other ones later.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I feel like posting up some images.
67959_338223639628808_1296292622_n.jpg

148760_338227189628453_1772768583_n.jpg

485952_338219286295910_2139779444_n.jpg

484761_338218089629363_502850229_n.jpg

387015_337714086346430_1918238415_n.jpg

66997_335806069870565_1364284965_n.jpg

Loona

I still hate ranked mode, nothing is going to change that. D:

Messages shouldn't be an excuse though, I only started doing ranked since the patch, played enough to unlock Alpha tonight, and the closest I got was a comment about tauting - I was aiming for the 100 taunts title while I was at it.

Mesharey

Grap3
LOL. from the FIRST match ? did he send you more messages ? I'd like to read it all. :p

The question is, what will he say if you beat him with Akira ? XD

Pupi
Good images, I don't like Pai but that's a good one.

Who bought the new bikinis ? Ayane images please !

TheSeks

You're not playing with a stick? Going by that video you already play better than me. D:

Leona's honestly probably one of the best players I ran into tonight. There was like one or two others but Leona's definitely up there.

You're not playing with a stick? Going by that video you already play better than me. D:
Despite how much you think I hate DOA, I have over a decade experience playing it on pad right now and basically zero experience with it on stick minus dicking around with Akira's knee in training a few times. I'm also doing really basic Hayate stuff that works in DOA3/4/D. I haven't quite gotten the hang of him yet and the CB set-up I put together today that I thought was guaranteed actually isn't and I'm quite disappointed. =(

Now here's the kicker: I'm kind of having a good time right now. I don't quite believe it myself. There's definitely some bullshit but I'm not losing to it right now so I'm okay. Once I do I'll come back in here and rage like usual.

TheSeks

Damn, that come back from 0% health on that Zakk match.

I was #7875 when I started playing earlier today and now I'm up to #2636. I think that'll cut it for tonight but I wonder how much longer until I have Alpha unlocked.

Top Bottom