• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Asriel

The biggest change I noticed in my initial playthrough is much less reliance on counters. If I saw a predictable string, sure I threw one out there, but otherwise it's not worth the risk to spam. You'll get owned if you do.

Critical Bursts are not easy to get a hang of. You really need to know your character's stun game in order to take full advantage of them. And since just about all of the Power Blows are predictable middle punches, CBs are crucial to using them.

Also, not every character has advanced holds.

Squire

Banned
Hayashi said on an interview that they won't be selling DLC characters or unlocking them.

Speaking of Hayashi I was just wondering if he realized this was his last chance.

But the game appears to be great based on impressions, so I guess it's a moot point.

I'm down for any DLC costumes. It's unlikely, but it'd be cool if they sold unlocks for the rare costumes. No way I'm getting those.

I've been playing for 7 hours non stop. O_O
I have to sleep now so quick things:
- the game is SUPER smooth.
- graphics look better than alpha build.
- it's hard if you play it like DOA4 (if you play on hard and above), I didn't do a single CB, and when I use PB it makes the match easier (was playing with friends so no time for training).
- Sarah is my main in VF but here I'm having a hard time to win in Hard, and no problem when I choose Ayane and Hitomi (my mains).
- ahem .. they "move" in story cut scenes even if the girls walk !! didn't like that at all, they say "hands on" huh ..
- I'm not really sure but I think VF characters have 2 costumes only (3rd is bikini), finished hard with Sarah and nothing unlocked.
- There's a stage (Fighting Entertainment) for Tag and it's good, it's calm and at morning.
- Kasumi's "Gaiden" costume could be number 5 or more.
- Hitomi's safari costume is playable.
- Mila is not easy use and she has many throws, Rig is niiice to play with (his costumes aren't good though).

I'll try to add some more when I wake up, BTW, unlocked 5 costumes for Ayane and we saw all of them, I hope there's more and a costume that was not revealed.

Hurry up and unlock the rest of Eliot's outfits!

Please :D

louie

What was the GSP reference? Are you talking about the red gi top? 'Cos that's actually a dobok Rig is wearing. #pedantic

Galdelico

What was the GSP reference? Are you talking about the red gi top? 'Cos that's actually a dobok Rig is wearing. #pedantic
Yeah, it was that few seconds of the video where he seemed to be wearing something like

Georges-St-Pierre-UFC-831-200x300.jpg

louie

I thought it was a reference too initially, but later just dismissed it when it turned out be a taekwondo top. I suppose it still could be though, one of the fighter chronicle episodes mentions that one of the designers is a mma fanatic.

Skilletor

I would wait till the game is actually out.

Why? TTT2 had great early impressions. Persona's netcode issues on 360 were early impressions. SC's early impressions were good.

This is definitely enough to make me hold off on buying it for both consoles and see how it pans out.

Edit: I mean I will only buy it on one console, not cancel my preorders altogether.

Why? TTT2 had great early impressions. Persona's netcode issues on 360 were early impressions. SC's early impressions were good.

This is definitely enough to make me hold off on buying it for both consoles and see how it pans out.

Edit: I mean I will only buy it on one console, not cancel my preorders altogether.

Well I canceled mine. I guess if it were to get patched and it was much better than i'll pick it up from a black friday sale.

Galdelico

Early netcode impressions are making me :(.
Was kind of expecting it but I couldn't care less: with fighting games my online/local multiplayer expecience has always been totally in favour of local vs.

I'll feel sad, tho, if the game should end up being generally too bashed and overlooked - like KoFXIII - because of that.

vocab

Not enough people on. People may judge netcode based on Europe to US. TT2 was expected to be good, and so was P4 because they were tested with another game that shared the same code.

Esura

Banned
Wait, why is people so skeptical on DOA5's online? I heard DOA4 had a great online system. Or rather I never heard anything bad about it.

Also, do the characters have the same movesets in this as Dimensions? Decided to pop in Dimensions for some training so I can just jump right in on Tuesday.

Grisby

If I remember correctly DOA4 actually had some bad lag at launch. Or was that just the lobby system?

I'm pretty sure it got a patch.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Gonna copy paste what I said in FSD

I'm gonna guess the effects might be hurting the online. The game has tons of things going on with the stages and their effects add up the sweat and hit sparks that maybe cutting them down to 50% probably might help the online be more stable. Afterall you got Ends of the World with all those particle effects which while not be the best looking thing toning things down can help the game. Not completely turn off effects on all areas but Hit Effects, Sweat and maybe even characters getting dirt on clothes off might help off the game be more stable online.

Tekken Tag Tournament in order to keep the Online smooth they sacrificed to some extent the visuals elimination objects and NPCs can be seen and same goes for some particles effects getting tone down. DOA5 might need in tone down some things to make it work at optimal conditions as posible. Hopefully nothing extreme like Tekken on tone downs but find a way to keep it into properly smooth gameplay. It can be done and I expect people to voice their opinion so they fix the online if its as messed up as it is being mentioned.

And I think DOA4 did had lag issues in the beginning that were fixed with a patch but still DOA4 Online System was great at that time because not a lot of games did what DOA4 did at the time and was one of the most stable (Also not a lot of fighters in the beginning) until later fighters came to the business. What was great back then isn't necessarily great by today standards. DOA4 today its not acceptable compared to TTT2, SCV and Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown.

A patch might help it but we'll see what happens in the end the online might be better than the initial impressions as it can be worse.

Skilletor

If I remember correctly DOA4 actually had some bad lag at launch. Or was that just the lobby system?

I'm pretty sure it got a patch.

I don't remember that, but it was 7 years ago.

I'm gonna guess the effects might be hurting the online. The game has tons of things going on with the stages and their effects add up the sweat and hit sparks that maybe cutting them down to 50% probably might help the online be more stable. Afterall you got Ends of the World with all those particle effects which while not be the best looking thing toning things down can help the game. Not completely turn off effects on all areas but Hit Effects, Sweat and maybe even characters getting dirt on clothes off might help off the game be more stable online.

Tekken Tag Tournament in order to keep the Online smooth they sacrificed to some extent the visuals elimination objects and NPCs can be seen and same goes for some particles effects getting tone down. DOA5 might need in tone down some things to make it work at optimal conditions as posible. Hopefully nothing extreme like Tekken on tone downs but find a way to keep it into properly smooth gameplay. It can be done and I expect people to voice their opinion so they fix the online if its as messed up as it is being mentioned.

And I think DOA4 did had lag issues in the beginning that were fixed with a patch but still DOA4 Online System was great at that time because not a lot of games did what DOA4 did at the time and was one of the most stable (Also not a lot of fighters in the beginning) until later fighters came to the business. What was great back then isn't necessarily great by today standards. DOA4 today its not acceptable compared to TTT2, SCV and Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown.

A patch might help it but we'll see what happens in the end the online might be better than the initial impressions as it can be worse.

This is entirely possible, and to be honest I don't even notice the stages losing stuff in Tekken online.

Not enough people on. People may judge netcode based on Europe to US. TT2 was expected to be good, and so was P4 because they were tested with another game that shared the same code.

I never expect netcode for an online game to be good. It's a pleasant surprise if it is. Early impressions have generally been accurate for fighters as far as I can tell. I can't remember a case where people said the netcode was great and it turned out to be garbage or vice versa.

I'd love to be wrong.

Asriel

To be honest,

My online experience has been just fine. My very first match started incredibly slow and I was ready to quit, but it straightened itself almost immediately.

vocab

The toning down stuff only improved the performance, and not the way the game handles the packets. It frees up CPU resources. What they did is to off set the technical limitations of the console specs. For the netcode, they completely redid the way the game handled inputs since Tekken 6, and compressed the information being sent down to very minimal levels. Plus the game now syncs between rounds and stuff.

If they are using the same netcode they were using since Doa4, I'm worried because FG netcode has came a long way. Not if I should cancel more order or not =/

I never expect netcode for an online game to be good. It's a pleasant surprise if it is. Early impressions have generally been accurate for fighters as far as I can tell. I can't remember a case where people said the netcode was great and it turned out to be garbage or vice versa.

I'd love to be wrong.

Ya same.

It can't be as bad as mk9/T6 though right? :(

Vazra

This is entirely possible, and to be honest I don't even notice the stages losing stuff in Tekken online.
I never expect netcode for an online game to be good. It's a pleasant surprise if it is.

Well on the school stage and the plaza stage and some others effect or object heavy you can see they cut down object and effects. (NPCs, pots, Flowers falling, even in some cases the hit sparks might be softened up a bit among other things) The players won't notice some stuff since they are into the match and not much time to focus on the scenery that much. Do not cut stuff from the characters visuals and most people will be fine.(Sweat, Dirt and hit sparks are not important to the game so they can surely go offline) I hope TN manages to see what makes TTT2 and SCV online systems good and study the compromises or tricks used to get the Online system on the most optimal conditions.

To be honest,

My online experience has been just fine. My very first match started incredibly slow and I was ready to quit, but it straightened itself almost immediately.
So it'll pretty much vary from user to user. I usually have a good connection, even on the JPN servers in MGO so hopefully this game won't be that laggy.

Damage. And the more you do it, the more you get.
You're thinking of the wrong game, you're in the DOA5 thread.

So how many iterations has this perceived issue been a problem for you in this franchise?
While present in DOA++, DOA2 and DOA3 it was manageable, to an extent, in all three. It didn't get really crazy stupid ridiculous until DOA4. Though I think I like DOA++'s system the most and I'd like an XBLA/PSN release of that.

Probably every single game after the DOA1/DOA++?
"DURR HURR HURR." Please stop talking because you're a moron.

It's VF For Dummies People with Developmental Disabilities.
Fixed that for you.

Found some Alpha-152 gameplay. She still seems to play the same unfortunately :(
If she's anything like her DOA Dimensions self then she'll be one of the worst characters in the game.

I just hope to dear god that it literally doesn't become a game where its "well I'm committed to my string now and I have to guess mid or low hold counters all day while you have to guess if I delay my strings"

I already accepted the fact that holds while in hitstun are in the game but low holds ducking highs is just...why?
You accepted the wrong part. The other part is frustration^∞.

Early netcode impressions are making me :(.
I'm going to laugh if the fighting series that pioneered smooth online play is going to have the worst netcode this generation.

Vazra

If you dislike the game so much which you have since a very long time ago why the hell are you bothering so much with the game? You are just being whiny all the time and adding nothing besides repeating the same things over and over like a broken record. The game was not made for you move on and don't be a douchebag insulting people around because the game is not what you wanted it to be.

I am not insulting you on that comment to deserve the insult so please hold up that talk for when someone actually insults you.

Asriel

Learning the new play style is so much fun. Team Ninja has really done an excellent job turning the focus from spamming counters to trying to get stuns.

I find myself concentrating and getting to that critical burst point more and more; and less so on countering.

And please don't listen to grapefruitman. He's a troll. He's been a troll on other DOA sites, too.

Grape I find it funny that you have had the same argument for the past 7 years... Man when will you decide to drop it or move on to something else.

Moofers

So is it considered spoiler talk if I ask about the final boss? I'm just wondering who it is if its a returning character or a new one or what. Sounds like its not Tengu?

Vazra

So is it considered spoiler talk if I ask about the final boss? I'm just wondering who it is if its a returning character or a new one or what. Sounds like its not Tengu?

Alpha 152 from DOA4 and it changes forms

Vazra

Kinda disappointed :/ First main DOA without a unique boss?

Pretty much but storywise makes sense since Alpha escaped in DOA4 and wasnt destroyed like the other bosses

If the netcode blows, my hype is gone and I'll pass.

So far mixed reactions from all I have seen. Some have had smooth matches while others havent gotten the same results at it. Hopefully things get fixed with a patch quickly.

alstein

Pretty much but storywise makes sense since Alpha escaped in DOA4 and wasnt destroyed like the other bosses

So far mixed reactions from all I have seen. Some have had smooth matches while others havent gotten the same results at it. Hopefully things get fixed with a patch quickly.

The standards for 3D fighters are pretty high. SC, VF, and Tekken now have butter smooth netcodes. A FG has to be excellent for me to take it seriously these days, and next month there's Guilty Gear- a game I've hated for years, but would give one last chance.

I hope the initial reports are wrong and there is a day-0 or day-1 patch. I can wait a couple of days for that, I can be patient- VF allows me to be patient.

I'm curious as to why people think DoA4's netcode doesn't hold up to other 3D fighters today. I was playing the other week in a 4 man lobby and it wasn't noticeably different to modern 3D fighters to me. Admittedly the game had issues if you were running 16 man lobbies, but if you were playing with a reasonable number of people it worked great.

It would be hugely disappointing to me if the sequels netcode doesn't live up to its predecessor or modern 3D fighters.

Mesharey

Finally unlocked Pai will test online in a bit.
How did you unlock her ?

BTW, for trophy/achievement hunters, it's impossible in this game to get them all, there's a trophy that asks you to get all titles and these titles include play all characters 1000 times for each one of the them!

Vazra

How did you unlock her ?

BTW, for trophy/achievement hunters, it's impossible in this game to get them all, there's a trophy that asks you to get all titles and these titles include play all characters 1000 times for each one of the them!

I can do that in 1 month if I get into it lol

How did you unlock her ?

Crap like this! So stupid cause they force you to play characters you dislike.

How did you unlock her ?

Isn't there really a 3000 win online title for all characters? Now that's way too much. Unlocking that final character will be too tedious if you need to get those titles to unlock her. Plus, there's no way I can win 3000 matches with Mr. Armstrong. :\

raven777

How did you unlock her ?

for real? thats just crazy. I will forget about trophy in this game.

Top Bottom