• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Skilletor

Well that seems disappointing as all hell. So if that's useless, then I suppose its just a better playing DOA4 or are there broader system changes that I should read up on? The OP is kind of scarce on the nitty gritty details on the added mechanics.

They're definitely not useless. Especially if you've got a character with a launcher throw and you're in a room with a ceiling <3 Rig.

The game overall feels much tighter than DoA4. Movement isn't as loose without feeling restricted. It feels more difficult to counter, as if you can't counter immediately from some strings. The timing doesn't feel as lenient as past DoA games (although it's not as difficult as other fighters. There are less stuns in the game, so less reliance on guessing. Unlike DoA4, there are lots of natural combos and normal hit launchers. The wall game is back to being a threat again.

This feels more like DoA3 than DoA4. I love it.

DR2K

Banned
Well that seems disappointing as all hell. So if that's useless, then I suppose its just a better playing DOA4 or are there broader system changes that I should read up on? The OP is kind of scarce on the nitty gritty details on the added mechanics.

Power Blow has sevral uses. For one if you land a charge on a blcoking opponent you get enough frames to follow up on a guaranteed attack. It can be linked into a critical burst and it can whiff punish other CBs. The Cb is only used up on full hit. You can also side step cancel out of the charge.

Sidesteps actually work so you have to watch out for linear moves or full circle property moves. You can evade linear, but there are moves you can't evade. (training mode specifies which is which)

Natural combos, new stuns that lead to new set ups, new dangerzones that lead to different types of launchers/stuns.

Various character changes from new stances for old characters, to new moves, to property changes to old ones.

Slippery surfaces(wat/ice) grant you new stuns that lead to guaranteed damage like in DOA2 and DOA3.

Walls can not be held out of, so all wall damage is guaranteed.

There's a new crouch dash side step for characters that is different than regular sidestep. It can be buffered into sidestep.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, but the system has been changed drastically since DOA4.

Power Blow has sevral uses. For one if you land a charge on a blcoking opponent you get enough frames to follow up on a guaranteed attack. It can be linked into a critical burst and it can whiff punish other CBs. The Cb is only used up on full hit. You can also side step cancel out of the charge.

Sidesteps actually work so you have to watch out for linear moves or full circle property moves. You can evade linear, but there are moves you can't evade. (training mode specifies which is which)

Natural combos, new stuns that lead to new set ups, new dangerzones that lead to different types of launchers/stuns.

Various character changes from new stances for old characters, to new moves, to property changes to old ones.

Slippery surfaces(wat/ice) grant you new stuns that lead to guaranteed damage like in DOA2 and DOA3.

Walls can not be held out of, so all wall damage is guaranteed.

There's a new crouch dash side step for characters that is different than regular sidestep. It can be buffered into sidestep.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, but the system has been changed drastically since DOA4.

Cool. All I need now is a slightly more in depth explanation of what you're talking about when you're saying critical bursts. Those cause stun? Are are caused by stun?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

It's not useless, the thing is you have to find the appropriate time to use it and depending the players it might be a hard thing to do. Stun someone or in some cases launching them up against the ceiling might give openings for Power Blows. Obviously the mechanic is not meant to be overused per round which makes sense since it makes a lot of damage and people spamming would hurt the experience or the balance of the game.

Edit: Beaten multiple times.

Extra edit: Added some of those things that were missing on the list of changes.

DR2K

Banned
Cool. All I need now is a slightly more in depth explanation of what you're talking about when you're saying critical bursts. Those cause stun? Are are caused by stun?

Critical burst is a type of stun that causes an explosion, number of hits it takes depends on the character. Some can do it in 3, some need 4, some need 5. They each have a specific move that causes this burst.

http://youtu.be/fNh1w-6izmQ?t=27s

4th hit of this combos causes a critical burst. Huge sound effect and stun animation signify it.

How is this performed?

It's like in the alpha demo as up or down f+K+P DOA5 final build gives you the option to set it to up up or down down.

GrayFoxPL

Few gifs I made from new vids. Hope you like it. More will be coming.

ij7t2xXSMqN6r.gif

ibei1Lj3GjTPbQ.gif

iwMhHAmTRZnux.gif

DR2K

Banned
getting those skimy swimsuits is going to cause people a lot of tears.

Tina: Beat Legendary Arcade mode

Chrsitie: Beat Legendary time attack

Lisa: Beat Legendary survival

rvy

Banned
getting those skimy swimsuits is going to cause people a lot of tears.

Tina: Beat Legendary Arcade mode

Chrsitie: Beat Legendary time attack

Lisa: Beat Legendary survival

I thought the swimsuits weren't unlockable? You need to buy the CE?

Squire

Banned
New costumes is all good, but personally I hope that we don't get anymore swimsuits. Some of the new costumes in DOA5 are great (like Kasumi's black ninja outfit) and I hope team ninja keep their creative hats on and don't just go for T&A.

Each girl is gonna get at least one more swimsuit, regardless of how anybody feels; probably two.

It's Team Ninja. They've designed while games around the concept.

GrayFoxPL

Guys do not go gif heavy as much as I like them I think we do not want this thread to be closed over it.

Thread can be closed over gifs? Tekken community thread has hundred gifs. I don't know I never got a warning msg and I post tons of gifs.

alstein

Crouch dash side step, how you do that?
Hopefully it's not some super complicated stuff.

Squire

Banned
I just thought of more costumes I want: Fatal Frame crossover costumes.

Mio and Mayu costues for Kasumi and Ayane please? :)

Genius! Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Nintendo co-owns the IP now.

Maybe they could give Mila a Rio costume. Hmmm.

Vazra

Oh baby, got a text from my gamestop. . . DoA5 midnight! SO EXCITED.
My gamestop used to do midnight launches until they had had to pay for security or do no midnight launches. Guess what happened? T_T

Sucks having your nearest gamestop inside a Mall.

kuroshiki

I just thought of more costumes I want: Fatal Frame crossover costumes.

Mio and Mayu costues for Kasumi and Ayane please? :)

You know Mayu (older sister) is hardcore yandare to Mio, right?

So Kasumi is hardcore yandere to Ayane? I thought it was the other way around?

vocab

I'll really gonna make an effort to learn a character. Not sure who, but I want to pick just one character and stick with them.

I'll really gonna make an effort to learn a character. Not sure who, but I want to pick just one character and stick with them.

I was thinking of making a concentrated effort to learn everyone, since I usually only stick with one. Gotta get my random select on.

vocab

I was thinking of making a concentrated effort to learn everyone, since I usually only stick with one. Gotta get my random select on.

I'm really bad at 3d fighters. Move lists that exceed over 50+ are really fucking with me. In most 2d games ill mess with everyone.

Vazra

I'll try to learn most of them but I'm set on Kokoro, Eliot and Mila. There is an opening for Hitomi since she was my main on DOA3.

I'm really bad at 3d fighters. Move lists that exceed over 50+ are really fucking with me. In most 2d games ill mess with everyone.
You don't have to learn everything of each characters. Just look around what tools work and what not. Heck I used to had a notebook before with my own annotations of what worked for me and what not.

Dantis

You know Mayu (older sister) is hardcore yandare to Mio, right?

So Kasumi is hardcore yandere to Ayane? I thought it was the other way around?

I have no idea what any of this means.

And even if Nintendo is the co owner of the franchise, I'm pretty sure the characters are owned by Tecmo.

I can still dream!

Top Bottom