• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

patapuf

I have no idea what any of this means.

And even if Nintendo is the co owner of the franchise, I'm pretty sure the characters are owned by Tecmo.

I can still dream!

yandere = person who is obsessively in love/infatuated with someone. To the point where it's psychotic.

I'll try to play as many people as possible. I was decent with about half of the cast in past DOA's, i hope to repeat that.

Squire

Banned
I have no idea what any of this means.
Urban Dictionary said:
yandere
Contrary to the popular belief that it is the opposite of tsundere, it describes an anime character who is either psychotic or violent or both, and shows affection to the main character. Became a popular moe genre after the airing of the last episode of School Days. Other yandere characters include Ryuuguu Rena from Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni series.

I wish there was a yandere girl who would love me so much she'll want to cleave my head with a hachet.

Dantis

Oh. So that doesn't apply to anyone from Fatal Frame then.

And doesn't apply to DOA either (The first four at least), come to think of it.

louie

i5RYwXuSEM60x.gif

You can hit a back-turned person into the wall twice now? Awesome.

Skilletor

There's the regular sidestep where you move up and down the back ground and a different one where the character crouch and sidestep. I call it a crouch dash because they're dashing while crouching.

Ayane combo video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5iZAcCXgkA

No, there's the sidestep done by pressing 22_88 or 2_h+p+k. You are not crouching during this. And there's free walking which has been in the series since DoA2. In DoA3.1, tracking sucked, and you could often use this AS a sidestep, but there was never a true sidestep in the series. A crouch dash has always been done by pressing 33_11. And you can do crouch dash and backdash cancels.

You are not crouching during the sidestep.

We don't need obfuscation of terms. :p

DR2K

Banned
No, there's the sidestep done by pressing 22_88 or 2_h+p+k. You are not crouching during this. And there's free walking which has been in the series since DoA2.

You are not crouching during the sidestep.

Free walking now has sidestep properties. The crouch dash I'm referring to is the one where they go lower and which does evade highs as well. There's different utilities for both, but they have similar uses.

DOA community likes being loose with their termonology at times, lol.

Skilletor

Free walking now has sidestep properties. The crouch dash I'm referring to is the one where they go lower and which does evade highs as well. There's different utilities for both, but they have similar uses.

DOA community likes being loose with their termonology at times, lol.

The 22_88 sidestep does NOT evade highs. It is not crouching. You cannot crouching throw somebody doing this, circular highs hit it. I'm telling you your (or whoever came up with it, lol) terminology is incorrect and confusing since you are not considered crouching during the newly added move to DoA5.

It's just a sidestep.

DR2K

Banned
The 22_88 sidestep does NOT evade highs. It is not crouching. You cannot crouching throw somebody doing this, circular highs hit it. I'm telling you your (or whoever came up with it, lol) terminology is incorrect and confusing since you are not considered crouching during the newly added move to DoA5.

It's just a sidestep.

I didn't say it was crouch state, but the animation itself is different in that the character physically crouch and sidestep, and it does beat some highs.

The walking and crouch dash have similar properties, but also different utilities.

Skilletor

I didn't say it was crouch state, but the animation itself is different in that the character physically crouch and sidestep, and it does beat some highs.

The walking and crouch dash have similar properties, but also different utilities.

It also beats some mids...because it's a sidestep. There is no need for any other distinction for the move. (I meant to say that it does not evade CIRCULAR highs above, not that it avoids all highs).

DR2K

Banned
It also beats some mids...because it's a sidestep. There is no need for any other distinction for the move.

In my opinion sidestepping isn't as good at close range as the dash. Of course I'll need to tinker with the final build on Tuesday to see if much has changed.

It only beats linear attacks regardless of height. To call it anything other than a sidestep is confusing to anyone familiar with 3D fighting game terminology and it's official Team Ninja nomenclature (as designated on their website and all in-game references).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I will play this game forever but never with that weird bikini outfits. It just ruins the whole game for me.

Doesn't ruin the game for me, but... yeah, they're pretty dull. As cool as the designs and cloth physics are in this game (something I miss in most of TTT2), stripping everyone down to bikinis ALL THE TIME just looks kinda lame.

I don't know how much I expect to see them online... I've very rarely seen Swimsuits on characters in Tekken. Not even that often in Soul Calibur, or VF...

Oh, dear Ayane, nice to see you back in full force. Some of those new extra blows at the end of strings are very stylish, and her Throw Cliffhanger will almost totally keep me from having to play Hayabusa in order to Izuna-drop of edges now, which makes me happy, lol.

Didn't know that the Lisa Combo Video went up as well, so going to watch that one now...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Man, all this talk about oufits and you guys are forgetting the X-box Booth Girl outfits on DOA2U. I so want those ported to 360 and a PS2-stylized one for PS3 just to be tongue-in-cheek.

Squire

Banned

His claim about it being "the best fighter in the last yen years" sounds like hyperbole from an over-excited fanboy, to be brutally honest.

I'm only really interested in reading Jeff Gerstmann's review on Tuesday.

And of course watching the Quick Look.

So are the CE outfits DLC for everyone that does not get the CE?

Almost certainly, yes. Not for a month at least though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I liked the number crunching further into the article. But ya that was a bold opinion.

Ditto. An of course the info on the training mode.

But... every fighitng game thread has it's fans claiming their game of choice to be the Best fighter in the past 10 years... Either of 3D, 2D, or just in general. Let the series fans have their honeymoon phase, things will normalize after everyone gets their hands on the game...

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Let me repost what I posted in another forum.

Pupi18 said:
Lets wait a month and see if the impressions are still the same as they are at the moment. Don't wanna be negative but sometimes people overreact positively or negatively and later on will notice some things that might or might not affect the perception of the game. Anyhow still nice to read the game seems nice and it fixed tons of things.

DR2K

Banned
Perfect Legend is one of the first "pro" DoA players. He goes back to DoA 3. His opinion is biased. :p

He's the EVO MK9 and DOA4 champ as well. He's in the games credits, so he's been playing the game for a while, lol.

As for the crouching sidestep and the regular one. Only the crouch step could evade the jab at close range. So yeah 100% different utilities at least in the alpha build. The jab also doesn't track, but it hits freestep regardless.

Skilletor

I remember people talking very positively of Dead or Alive Dimensions... Just saying...

DoAD is amazing...for a handheld fighter.

My expectations are different there. :p

Of course, with amazing ports of T6, SC4, UMvC3, SF4, and lololol SxT, those expectations are changing.

Vazra

DoAD is amazing...for a handheld fighter.

My expectations are different there. :p

Of course, with amazing ports of T6, SC4, UMvC3, SF4, and lololol SxT, those expectations are changing.

If you like playing DOA4 portable for most of the part sure lol.

SxT lololololol DOADimensions can be DOA4 x3 and still be better and more enjoyable.

EDIT: You realize T6, SC4 and SF4 came way before DOAD (SCBB still surprises me)

Skilletor

If you like playing DOA4 portable for most of the part sure lol.

SxT lololololol DOADimensions can be DOA4 x3 and still be better and more enjoyable.

EDIT: You realize T6, SC4 and SF4 came way before DOAD (SCBB still surprises me)

Yeah, but I couldn't play those online. :p

They were useful only as portable practice modes.

Squire

Banned
Let me repost what I posted in another forum.

A month is too long a wait to critique any game in any genre. Period. (I saw some people suggest this when Final Fantasy 14 released.)

It's bold claims you should avoid making in general. Those are the ones you sit on and really consider.

But if people's first impressions are that the game's good or bad, that's all that matters; that's what's happening now.

remz

A month is too long a wait to critique any game in any genre. Period. (I saw some people suggest this when Final Fantasy 14 released.)

It's bold claims you should avoid making in general. Those are the ones you sit on and really consider.

But if people's first impressions are that the game's good or bad, that's all that matters; that's what's happening now.

....except it's a fighting game. what makes the game good or bad isn't readily apparent, usually.

Vazra

Lets not forget there can be a nerfing patch (like Soulcalibur V)

....except it's a fighting game. what makes the game good or bad isn't readily apparent, usually.
Exactly lets remember when someone later found out something that helped Helena and the same can be said on some other fighter where people find out some things later on.

DR2K

Banned
Lets not forget there can be a nerfing patch (like Soulcalibur V)

Exactly lets remember when someone later found out something that helped Helena and the same can be said on some other fighter where people find out some things later on.

What does Namco's bad poor balance choices have to do with what DOA5 represent to PL now?

All fighting games get new discoveries with months/years of practice.

Casual DOA5 video review.

Details the game pretty well.

DR2K

Banned
In a month, DoA5 could be much worse (or much better)? We don't know what they'll decide to do with a potential patch.

Definitely, but PL has been playing this longer than we know and as a top level player it's telling that he thinks so highly of it.

branny

Definitely, but PL has been playing this longer than we know and as a top level player it's telling that he thinks so highly of it.
IDK

Deeming it the best fighting game released in the past ten years may be a bit enthusiastic.

In any case, yeah--it's still nice to hear that he's liking it.

I wouldn't trust PL with anything to be honest.

Have you seen some of his actions and things he has said over the years?

Out of all the DOA heads I would trust Rikuto, and Dr. Dogg the most. Masters, PL, Tom Brady and all them are severely bias.

Esura

Banned
Doesn't ruin the game for me, but... yeah, they're pretty dull. As cool as the designs and cloth physics are in this game (something I miss in most of TTT2), stripping everyone down to bikinis ALL THE TIME just looks kinda lame.

I don't know how much I expect to see them online... I've very rarely seen Swimsuits on characters in Tekken. Not even that often in Soul Calibur, or VF...

The few matches I played online in TTT2 I used Asuka and Jun in their bikinis. Might as well get my money's worth before they release the bikinis to everyone else. I love the praises I get on PSN too for having my mains work it.

Ayane will work it on the 25th that's for sure. :p

Squire

Banned
This is so wrong it isn't funny. Did everyone know MVC2 was a 3 character game littered with infinites it the first week?

You act as though you need to know every single little secret, glitch, and nuance to know if the gsme is good or bad overall. You don't.

And the longer it takes you to find the good in the game in question, the less any is there, if at all.

So again: "Just wait a month!" is a dumb philosophy.

Top Bottom