• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Camp Lo

Banned
I told you guys. People that are saying the netcode is bad are either playing in poor connections (their fault) or have no idea what bad netcode is (again: their fault).

DOA5's netcode, like other fighters, is based on connections. It's decent. Could it be better? Yeah but is it passable/work-able? Yes. Totally.

Someone spoil me: How do you get
Pai
? Is it through the story mode like most other unlocks or what?

100 titles per Prima Guide. I have her; she's GDLK.

Mesharey

I played 4 ranked matches and it was smooth, my connection is not so good (5MB) and I live in a far place (Kuwait if you know that :p).

I told you guys. People that are saying the netcode is bad are either playing in poor connections (their fault) or have no idea what bad netcode is (again: their fault).

DOA5's netcode, like other fighters, is based on connections. It's decent. Could it be better? Yeah but is it passable/work-able? Yes. Totally.

Someone spoil me: How do you get
Pai
? Is it through the story mode like most other unlocks or what?
A wired 35mbps setup is a poor connection? I got great matches in SCV and VF5FS and essentially flawless matches in TTT2. And as for it being our fault, if the game showed connectivity data beforehand then some of these issues wouldn't be such a problem.

BTW, if you think "passable" performance is acceptable for a fighting game then it's obvious you expect different things from playing than I do.

OSHAN

Anyone have any odd pausing in this game?

Playing on PS3 version and occasionally the action will just stop for a split second then return. It's bizarre.

Xevren

Netcode is ok, not great. Get the most random lag spikes at times but when i play other games with the same people it's fine. Online is just spotty at best here.

Camp Lo

Banned
Anyone have any odd pausing in this game?

Playing on PS3 version and occasionally the action will just stop for a split second then return. It's bizarre.

Yeah, some people are saying to turn off the ... what's that thing called. I can't think of the name, it's the fight invitation on the menu.

What? So somehow my good connection against other people decides to take a shit when I put in the DOA5 disc? wow I need to call my ISP right away.

DOA5 has a mediocre netcode at best. Its not even close to SC5, P4A, or TTT2. Hell it isn't even close to AE2012.

It somewhere around the levels of umvc3 and vanilla mvc3. Playable at a mediocre level of execution and reaction at best. It can be decent if the players are close together and have solid connections. Otherwise you're rolling a dice and hoping that shit isn't laggy.

edit

Also rank not letting you see your opponents connection or round option is stupid. I can't believe they missed that out of all things.

ITT: People do not understand what "smooth" actually means. I just had a match where the input lag was so bad, I could actually count in real life seconds when my hits would register. I have a 150mb FIOS connection. I assure you that is not the problem.

What? So somehow my good connection against other people decides to take a shit when I put in the DOA5 disc? wow I need to call my ISP right away.

DOA5 has a mediocre netcode at best. Its not even close to SC5, P4A, or TTT2. Hell it isn't even close to AE2012.

It somewhere around the levels of umvc3 and vanilla mvc3. Playable at a mediocre level of execution and reaction at best. It can be decent if the players are close together and have solid connections. Otherwise you're rolling a dice and hoping that shit isn't laggy.

edit

Also rank not letting you see your opponents connection or round option is stupid. I can't believe they missed that out of all things.
[Clark Gable];42546488 said:
ITT: People do not understand what "smooth" actually means. I just had a match where the input lag was so bad, I could actually count in real life seconds when my hits would register. I have a 150mb FIOS connection. I assure you that is not the problem.
Bingo bango bongo, these guys get it.

Camp Lo

Banned

THAT pisses me off more than anything in this game. I just can't fathom how they didn't add a simple "YOUR RANKED OPPONENT HAS {SHIT} CONNECTION. DO YOU WANT TO CANCEL?"

That's Online Play 101 right there. Playing Ranked is a fucking crapshoot now but luckily most players mash buttons.

THAT pisses me off more than anything in this game. I just can't fathom how they didn't add a simple "YOUR RANKED OPPONENT HAS {SHIT} CONNECTION. DO YOU WANT TO CANCEL?"

That's Online Play 101 right there. Playing Ranked is a fucking crapshoot now but luckily most players mash buttons.

Don't forget space, they love to space when they know their connection is shit.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I didn't expect the Premium Swimsuit DLC code to expire so soon so I'm just wondering if it is safe to wait until the 30th to redeem it as I don't have access to my PS3 beforehand.

Not only that. I'm ok with 2, 3, 4, and 5 round games.

But if I do 5 round games I get almost nobody. So I pick any and you wouldn't believe how many 1 round matches I played. It was like really you motherf.ckers really?

DR2K

Banned
Not only that. I'm ok with 2, 3, 4, and 5 round games.

But if I do 5 round games I get almost nobody. So I pick any and you wouldn't believe how many 1 round matches I played. It was like really you motherf.ckers really?

I remember that option in SFIV, 1 round 30 seconnds Blanka players was way too common on any round settings.

Wow, this game is a MASSIVE disappointment for me.

- When I'm playing offline, for some reason, there is a random pause in the middle of the round that occurs once and only once. It happens whether I'm in arcade mode, tag...it's truly bizarre. I disabled the sweat and dirt effects, and it didn't stop it.

- It goes without saying, but the online is crap. Almost 20 games so far, and I have yet to encounter a round I'd even consider passably stable. This is unplayable.

I can't see myself sticking with it, especially with the first problem? Anyone else get a glitchy one-second pause offline, once per round?

- When I'm playing offline, for some reason, there is a random pause in the middle of the round that occurs once and only once. It happens whether I'm in arcade mode, tag...it's truly bizarre. I disabled the sweat and dirt effects, and it didn't stop it.

- It goes without saying, but the online is crap. Almost 20 games so far, and I have yet to encounter a round I'd even consider passably stable. This is unplayable.

I can't see myself sticking with it, especially with the first problem? Anyone else get a glitchy one-second pause offline, once per round?

The first problem is turn off the online invitation thing. Takedown or whatever its called.

Thank god I got this game with the mindset of a fanservice fighter and buying a modern DOA fighter that I can just dick around with due to the ease of access. Also getting it for 45 bucks helped a lot.

The online is just booty butt cheeks compare to other fighters.

Camp Lo

Banned

Turn off throwdowns for offline play.

With the awesome implication that if you think the netcode is bad, it's because you either:
a) Aren't winning.
b) You must have a shitty connection.

I love how people are implicating that Maximillian and Skilletor don't have any idea what they are doing as well.

Maximillian says the netcode is T6 quality. People retort with "It's good, I'm winning".

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Has there ever been a patch to an online fighting game that has substantially improved the quality of play? I'm still buying this baby on Thursday or Friday but I was wondering if there was any chance of the problem being rectified short of a hypothetical entirely new version/Wii U port.

Skilletor

Has there ever been a patch to an online fighting game that has substantially improved the quality of play? I'm still buying this baby on Thursday or Friday but I was wondering if there was any chance of the problem being rectified short of a hypothetical entirely new version/Wii U port.

Persona! Blazblue...um, ASW games. lol

DR2K

Banned
With the awesome implication that if you think the netcode is bad, it's because you either:
a) Aren't winning.
b) You must have a shitty connection.

c) Just having bad matches, while some hare having good ones. No need for either camp to talk down to the other like the other is retarded.

At this point, I'd expect them to do something where you can tell you're gonna have a terrible connection ahead of time with some marginal performance improvements but that's about it. I'd love to be wrong, though.

c) Just having bad matches, while some hare having good ones. No need for either camp to talk down to the other like the other is retarded.
We didn't have anything directed to people who had "good ones" until they gave us reasons why we (apparently erroneously) thought it was bad.

GorillaJu

People praise Street Fighter 4 despite the formula not being drastically different from Super Turbo because Super Turbo was a fantastic, timeless formula, and SF4 was a fresh foray back into the 2d fighter genre, which had been dry for awhile.

They hound DOA5 for not doing enough because the DOA formula has never been that great. They added in a few gimmicks that don't change the overall flow of battle to any significant degree, and sidesteps, which have been present in the competition forever. They also still haven't fixed the uninteresting character dilemma. DOA characters chronically resemble background/supporting characters and lack the personality or uniqueness of a good strong cast, their only distinguishing features being the melon-sized tits they bounce around in. They're all throw-away designs, but the quality of modeling and texturing is pretty high. They also haven't fixed the frustrating lack of reactive options and set-ups after knock downs and blocks, outside of the rock-paper-scissors system.

It's a fun game in the end but the 6s and 7s it's been receiving are spot-on in my experience.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just how small was the budget for the game? Package is MvC3 level. Few tracks, few FMV scenes, barely any costumes (poor Helena). It's so bare bones.

I'm very angry that I can't remove the helmet from Mila's yellow outfit. Also, Japan, the generation is 7 years in. I know about auto saves.

Top Bottom