• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Does anyone know how to do Eliot's PP<- ->P?

I can't do it for the life of me. For some reason the game doesn't register the back>forward for this combo.

There are little mark things on the P's, but I have no idea what they mean and there's nothing about them in the small instruction booklet.

DR2K

Banned
Does anyone know how to do Eliot's PP<- ->P?

I can't do it for the life of me. For some reason the game doesn't register the back>forward for this combo.

There are little mark things on the P's, but I have no idea what they mean and there's nothing about them in the small instruction booklet.

Press the b f really fast

The marks mean to hold it.

Skilletor

Eliot seems super strong. I'd say his biggest weakness, just looking at him, is his extremely linear and steppable strings. Dat 9 frame palm is amazing. Shades of Feng.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How the hell do you land Lei-Fang's 46F (er-"H") on Mila? It seems any time she kicks I just do a normal hold if I hold 4 to block her first two attacks and then 6F to "expert counter-hold" do you have to do the 46 in one go? No blocking?

TheSeks

Two hardlocks within an hour just searching player matches. WTF at that. :/

Squire

Banned
The people who say this game is bare bones missed when Soul Calibur 5 came out with like 3 modes and the first four had 20.

The people who say the game doesn't have enough costumes specifically are spoiled to DOA. Remember, most fighters have 1p, 2p, and call it quits until DLC. Here, it seems like everyone has four, at least.

kyo27

I know I am gonna get hammered for saying this because some people are very defensive in this thread, but DoA 4 as a whole looks better. And dont't jump on me for complaing about the graphics, because graphics are one of the biggest selling points of this series in particular. Anyways the character models do look better in 5 especially the hair and the faces up close, but during actual gameplay this really isn't noticeable and DoA 4 is better. First of all what the hell happened to the trademark vibrant colors? This game is completely washed out and really loses DoAs awesome visual style. The lighting is clearly not as good. If you don't believe me, pop in 4 and check out the DWA colliseum stage. The same stage is in 5 but its called Fighting Entertainment. The lighting is so much more dynamic and the lights actually reflect off of Mariposa's outfit in 4. You can see characters reflections in water and glass in 4, another missing effect in 5. The textures and resolution are also a lot better in DoA 4. The stages are all very uninspired and boring in 5 with the exception of the raft stage. This was the first time I put DoA4 on in years and I gotta say this is it is probably the best looking 3D fighter to this day which is really impressive considering it came out in 2005.

Skilletor

I know I am gonna get hammered for saying this because some people are very defensive in this thread, but DoA 4 as a whole looks better. And dont't jump on me for complaing about the graphics, because graphics are one of the biggest selling points of this series in particular. Anyways the character models do look better in 5 especially the hair and the faces up close, but during actual gameplay this really isn't noticeable and DoA 4 is better. First of all what the hell happened to the trademark vibrant colors? This game is completely washed out and really loses DoAs awesome visual style. The lighting is clearly not as good. If you don't believe me, pop in 4 and check out the DWA colliseum stage. The same stage is in 5 but its called Fighting Entertainment. The lighting is so much more dynamic and the lights actually reflect off of Mariposa's outfit in 4. You can see characters reflections in water and glass in 4, another missing effect in 5. The textures and resolution are also a lot better in DoA 4. The stages are all very uninspired and boring in 5 with the exception of the raft stage. This was the first time I put DoA4 on in years and I gotta say this is it is probably the best looking 3D fighter to this day which is really impressive considering it came out in 2005.

You're entitled to your opinion.

TheSeks

You just like the real-doll look, it's okay. Some people are into that. Some of us are into either/or.

But really, DOA5's graphical changes are for the better post-Itagaki really.

Pachinko

I agree and disagree with you at the same time, this is clearly a new engine (the same one they used for ninja gaiden 3) and it's built ps3 centric rather then porting xbox middleware to the 360 like they did for doa4. What I will say about the visuals of doa5 is that they are more consistent, everything looks about the same level of good and polygons, textures , special effects have been dolled out in very controlled ways to keep it looking that way in all areas.

Doa4 has worse character art and modeling but higher quality textures and more expansive stages but out of it's 10 stages (I think) half looked great and half looked kind of fugly. Doa5 kind of sits in the middle where all the stages look good, just as I mentioned above and no particular aspect of it's graphics is jarringly better- the characters all look good, backgrounds all look good. As for the lighting model, I think the vibrancy has been toned down a bit because they were trying for a more realistic visual tone to suit the more realistic character models , I think it works myself. Not to mention there seems to be much less clipping problems on hair and clothing here as well as the sweat and dirt added to the fighters outfits and skin AND , unlike doa4 their are self casting shadows as well as proper ground shadows. It's just a much more technically impressive game on the whole that beats doa4 visually 90% of the time... Doa4 though... with la mariposa and christie in her biker outfit fighting in the market stage does visually trump most things these days.

raven777

I agree with you to certain extent. The colors in DoA4 look more vibrant, and the game looks more sharp and bright. But DoA4's character model is really old school. TBH it looked like super high resolution of DOAU with more polygons. The overall sharpness is still looking good, but the models look outdated for me.

fernoca

Can someone explain why MK9 is being held up as the gold standard for story mode in fighting games now? It was just a bunch of random fights and a forgettable story. When I think of strong story mode I think of ASW games, BlazBlue in particular (character-specific, branching/conditional paths, actually good, etc.).
In my case I just said "-Story Mode is nice...not like MK but close."
The comparison to MK was simply because through the thread it was described as "like MK9".

It kinda is, in that in a basic way is: cutscene->fight->cutscene->fight.
Except that in MK9 the transitions between them was smoother and everything was part of a cohesive story from the beginning even when changing characters it was just one main story (so it kinda felt like a movie rather than playing each character's story). Plus game loaded in said cutscenes, so it added to the experience.

In here (at least the beginning part) is like..cutscene->flashback cutscene->different location/character cutscene->loading->cutscene->loading->fight. :p

Kinda disjointed, which is no biggie.
For example: the Story Mode starts with
Bayman been attacked by "something"..then changes to Mila, you play as Mila; then go back to Bayman, then goes to Helena...talking to Bayman.

Also in my case, I didn't specifically said "MK9"..since that wasn't even the first MK game that did it. :p

Played some more DOA, and still enjoying the heck out of it. Still loving the new faces. Such a small yet awesome change.

Guess I'll main Brad and Rig; and use Jann Lee and Kasumi for old time's sake here and there. Kinda weird how back in DOA2/3, Lei-Fang was my main yet after 4, barely used her (though she looked cute with all pink, a tan and glasses in Xtreme Beach Volleyball. :p)

...and I'm gay anyway, so I rather have Brad with a tan and speedo, just saying that she looked cute.. :p

DR2K

Banned
The colors are more saturated in DOA4 and the back grounds have better AA, but that's where the flattery ends as far as visuals are concerned.

kyo27

I agree and disagree with you at the same time, this is clearly a new engine (the same one they used for ninja gaiden 3) and it's built ps3 centric rather then porting xbox middleware to the 360 like they did for doa4. What I will say about the visuals of doa5 is that they are more consistent, everything looks about the same level of good and polygons, textures , special effects have been dolled out in very controlled ways to keep it looking that way in all areas.

Doa4 has worse character art and modeling but higher quality textures and more expansive stages but out of it's 10 stages (I think) half looked great and half looked kind of fugly. Doa5 kind of sits in the middle where all the stages look good, just as I mentioned above and no particular aspect of it's graphics is jarringly better- the characters all look good, backgrounds all look good. As for the lighting model, I think the vibrancy has been toned down a bit because they were trying for a more realistic visual tone to suit the more realistic character models , I think it works myself. Not to mention there seems to be much less clipping problems on hair and clothing here as well as the sweat and dirt added to the fighters outfits and skin AND , unlike doa4 their are self casting shadows as well as proper ground shadows. It's just a much more technically impressive game on the whole that beats doa4 visually 90% of the time... Doa4 though... with la mariposa and christie in her biker outfit fighting in the market stage does visually trump most things these days.

You make some good points but I disagree with DoA5 being more consistent. Just look at the textures on Street, it is really bad(like PS2 bad)and looks out of place with the characters especially with the lack of AA in the background. There are several ugly stages in doa5. Street, sweat, scramble, sanctuary, depth.

Skilletor

You make some good points but I disagree with DoA5 being more consistent. Just look at the textures on Street, it is really bad(like PS2 bad)and looks out of place with the characters especially with the lack of AA in the background. There are several ugly stages in doa5. Street, sweat, scramble, sanctuary, depth.

That's entirely subjective. Those are some of my favorite levels.

Lack of AA and resolution kill the graphics, but that's the console's fault.

I wish we could get more fighters on PC.

Sora_N

I got my CE, greatly disappointed. What a fucking horribly designed case, mine was dented to hell on the back. I hope it's not just me, or is it lol. Oh well, I just wanted the DLC + artbook so the box doesn't matter. It takes up so much space anyways...

AdamMPSP

Played the story mode for about 3 hours. Digging it okay, but wish it was even more ridiculous. Also, yeah, wish it was more like MK9 where we seamlessly transition between cutscenes and fights.

Anyway, anyone pre-order from Amazon and actually get their swimsuit code? I'm still waiting on mine.

Enojado

I got my CE, greatly disappointed. What a fucking horribly designed case, mine was dented to hell on the back. I hope it's not just me, or is it lol. Oh well, I just wanted the DLC + artbook so the box doesn't matter. It takes up so much space anyways...

Mine was dented to hell on the front. Want to trade? :p

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

My box was perfect. I guess some people were not lucky?

DR2K

Banned
RIKUTOOOOOOOOOOOO!

success_baby.jpg

fernoca

No prob, wasn't picking on you. I see what you mean now. :p

and lol practically all of gaygaf plays doa smh
Yeah, no biggie. Re-reading it now, I sound like bitchy or something...noticed that I forgot to add a few more ":p" faces. .... :p

And yep...just noticing that. Interesting. XD

TheSeks

So, guys, what's the idea of expert holding 46F/H-ing Mila's kick while avoiding her mid-punches since they apparently won't count for the expert hold. :/ I'm getting annoyed sitting here getting beaten while trying to do these missions. I hate defensive missions, they're so pointless since you have to turtle and then rush to beat the enemy down in their life lead.

DR2K

Banned
So, guys, what's the idea of expert holding 46F/H-ing Mila's kick while avoiding her mid-punches since they apparently won't count for the expert hold. :/ I'm getting annoyed sitting here getting beaten while trying to do these missions. I hate defensive missions, they're so pointless since you have to turtle and then rush to beat the enemy down in their life lead.

Just advanced mid kick hold out of the punches that stun you.

TheSeks

Just land the hold, it should count regardless.

Weird, because I've hold'ed Mila's punches but it didn't count as an expert hold. Same for the kick. Either I'm not doing the 46 right or miss-timing. Really funky. :/

DR2K

Banned
Weird, because I've hold'ed Mila's punches but it didn't count as an expert hold. Same for the kick. Either I'm not doing the 46 right or miss-timing. Really funky. :/

Advanced mid kick hold is back and then forward hold. It's impossible to to do a mid punch hold if you're doing an advanced kick.

raven777

for those who have played the alpha demo:

Doesn't the visual look better than alpha demo? I don't know technically, but it seems its little lessy jaggy than alpha. It still is really jaggy, but not as much as alpha it feels.

Also, the character introduction scene seems to run smoother.

Sora_N

Mine was dented to hell on the front. Want to trade? :p

My box was perfect. I guess some people were not lucky?

Pupi, so lucky. you can't tell if it's busted till you cut the tape and pull the sleeve out, sadly.

Anyways online is pretty good, i managed to win my first round videochatting on skype with lots of lag. After i turned it off it was fine. Loving this game so far, and I rarely play fighters!

Top Bottom