• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Skilletor

I love how people are implicating that Maximillian and Skilletor don't have any idea what they are doing as well.

Maximillian says the netcode is T6 quality. People retort with "It's good, I'm winning".

Thespian is as good as I am or better. We have great a great connection on SC5 and TTT2, but DoA5...lol.

The worst part are the random lag spikes that literally pause the game.

Just how small was the budget for the game? Package is MvC3 level. Few tracks, few FMV scenes, barely any costumes (poor Helena). It's so bare bones.

I'm very angry that I can't remove the helmet from Mila's yellow outfit. Also, Japan, the generation is 7 years in. I know about auto saves.

yeah the costume count is really disheartening. Thank god leifang got the black dress and Kokoro has her kimono outfit.

DR2K

Banned
Just how small was the budget for the game? Package is MvC3 level. Few tracks, few FMV scenes, barely any costumes (poor Helena). It's so bare bones.

I'm very angry that I can't remove the helmet from Mila's yellow outfit. Also, Japan, the generation is 7 years in. I know about auto saves.

More content than DOA4, but this is Team Ninja's first multiplatform fighter(ever) or in a long time.

fernoca

Tried the game earlier (30 minutes) before leaving to work.
-Great visuals and menu music is cool.
-Story Mode is nice...not like MK but close.
-Online had no problems...the one match I played anyway.
-Like previous DOAs, I still suck...but really like the series and is the reason I bought the game.
-Haven't tried the white bunnies/preorder costumes...wish a few guys had one like it. (Brad looks sexier too...used him and Rig mostly)
-Full color manual is always a plus. :p

On my way back...to play some more. The game so far is as great as I was expecting.

I remember playing DOA2 for hours and hours at a time.

This feels to much clunkier than DOA Ultimate or DOA 4. Will take time to adapt.

This just doesn't feel right. Ugh.

Well, I'm experiencing lag. It's playable but it lags. I played a friend who was experiencing lagless games(on a wired connection) until he played me. I am on a wireless connection and I just got a new modem. Perhaps once I portfoward it, it'll be better.

I also got a free tekken poster when I went to pick up my pre-order.

branny

Can someone explain why MK9 is being held up as the gold standard for story mode in fighting games now? It was just a bunch of random fights and a forgettable story. When I think of strong story mode I think of ASW games, BlazBlue in particular (character-specific, branching/conditional paths, actually good, etc.).

People praise Street Fighter 4 despite the formula not being drastically different from Super Turbo because Super Turbo was a fantastic, timeless formula, and SF4 was a fresh foray back into the 2d fighter genre, which had been dry for awhile.
You make it sound like there was some empty void between ST and SFIV. Also, plenty of people bitched about vanilla SFIV being ass-backward compared to SFIII, the Alpha series, more grounded versus games that followed like CvS2, and even the EX series to a lesser extent.

The genre was advancing just fine in SF's absence with franchises like Guilty Gear, Melty Blood, King of Fighters, Arcana Heart, etc. 3D fighters were in the spotlight (Tekken, DOA, SC), but 2D wasn't dry at all. There were even like thirty-seven MK games and the whole Smash Bros. thing if you count those.

SFIV did help reinvigorate interest, yes.

Ken

Can someone explain why MK9 is being held up as the gold standard for story mode in fighting games now? It was just a bunch of random fights and a forgettable story. When I think of strong story mode I think of ASW games, BlazBlue in particular (character-specific, branching/conditional paths, actually good, etc.).

Comparisons to Capcom fighter "story modes" make MK9 look amazing.

And no one plays ASW games oh ho ho. ;_;

So many pop ups every time I start the game...

Ken

So many combos in command training @_@.

How important is learning the stuff in command training or combos compared to other games like MvC3 or P4A where you need to know combos and BnBs to do a lot of damage and win. This is my first DOA (and 3D fighter) I'm trying to seriously learn so I don't know what to expect.

Man, Im disappointed to hear about the poor netcode.
I live in Australia too, so if I cant even see other peoples connection status, theres no way I'd be able to find locals consistently.
I guess I'll just continue perving on SC5 custom chars instead :(

Just played an hour. I'm now at Zack's chapter. I think it freaking rocks so far. The graphics are beautiful, the characters are incredibly well detailed and the gameplay is just plain fun. I currently don't have Gold though so I can't give an opinion for online matches.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
There are definitely problems with the online mode. When I was reviewing the game, there were even more problems so.... yeah. If that gives you an idea.

I had pre ordered this but I think I'll be holding off picking it up till I hear more about the online portion. It sucks to hear that the netcode is crummy :(

I'll be playing this myself as my friends are not DOA fans...

branny

and do they use just 3 buttons mapped or a bunch of macroed buttons.
Also, do you claw the controller like Tekken players?

PS3 players fill me in. thanks
There's no point to claw with DOA unless you're using a third party six-button layout pad where a regular grip would be awkward. Just use macros for things like P+K and K+G on the shoulder buttons. :)

With Tekken you have all sorts of combinations like 1+2, 1+3, 1+4, 2+4, 3+4, etc. so claw is necessary because macro wouldn't be enough.

DirtyLary

There's no point to claw with DOA unless you're using a third party six-button layout pad where a regular grip would be awkward. Just use macros for things like P+K and K+G on the shoulder buttons. :)

With Tekken you have all sorts of combinations like 1+2, 1+3, 1+4, 2+4, 3+4, etc. so claw is necessary because macro wouldn't be enough.

So do you just remap to 3 buttons like the arcade sticks ? thanks

Top Bottom