• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

dreamfall

I'm really enjoying Story! Just hit Bass, it feels good to see these characters we've grown up with all in some crazy mode. I'll miss the Arcade endings, but I think this is better. Some of the Bonus missions have felt really trial/error but it's awesome.

And Online over here feels Solid. Some major lag in the first couple matches, smoothed out on my fourth match. Hit those lobbies!

I've gotten back on and started only playing 5 bar matches in lobbies, which essentially boils down to only playing people in my state. It sucks that I can't play the guys I want to play but at least it's something. Starting to enjoy myself again.

hao chi

Having a lot of fun with the game so far now that it's working right for me. Having difficulty choosing a main though; Kasumi, Ayane, Hitomi, and Ryu are all really fun.

I absolutely hate having to unlock characters in fighting games with online modes. It's tedious, annoying and plenty of fighting games this gen have spoiled me by not adding artificial longevity this way. I don't think I would mind as much if DOA5's story mode wasn't a lengthy slide show of random nonsense. I think I prefer the short, pretty character endings from the former titles by far. They were equally nonsensical but at least they didn't constantly tear me away from the game.

I absolutely hate having to unlock characters in fighting games with online modes. It's tedious, annoying and plenty of fighting games this gen have spoiled me by not adding artificial longevity this way. I don't think I would mind as much if DOA5's story mode wasn't a lengthy slide show of random nonsense. I think I prefer the short, pretty character endings from the former titles by far. They were equally nonsensical but at least they didn't constantly tear me away from the game.

yeah. Characters should not be unlockable for multiplayer. P4A did it best. Characters are all available in versus mode and online but not available in story until you unlocked it.

Dantis

yeah. Characters should not be unlockable for multiplayer. P4A did it best. Characters are all available in versus mode and online but not available in story until you unlocked it.

I don't mind that Alpha is locked, but Akira, Sarah, Pai and Gen Fu shouldn't be.

Moofers

I only spent an hour with it last night, but my initial impressions are a bit mixed:

GOOD:

Character models are rad! Have you guys SEEN Tina? I mean holy hell! Dem tittays! Seriously though, the outfits are great and I love the new hair this time.

I beat arcade mode and new outfits unlock. This is good!

Love the destructible stages. Some of them feel like a return to the "danger zones" from DOA1, so that's really cool.

BAD:

Music sucks. Its especially noticable after playing Tekken Tag 2 for the last 2 weeks.

VF characters are locked! D'oh!

Story mode is duuuuuumb. I was bored about 5 minutes into it. What a bunch of nonsense. I just couldn't take it seriously. I'd rather just have them bring back classic arcade mode where you fight the boss and get an ending.

Overall, I don't regret my purchase, but the $80 I paid for my CE seems a bit extravagant right now when I consider that its directly competing with a better fighting game for my time. Oh well. That game doesn't have quite the hot models anyway. ;)

HoodWinked

jeff gertsman has been eluding in podcasts and the monday video that the story mode in doa5 is batshit crazy and in a good way. and probably the best way to approach a story mode in fighting games for example MK9

Character models are rad! Have you guys SEEN Tina? I mean holy hell! Dem tittays!

This is why I wanted the game so much but the bad netcode just makes it seem like a waste of time.
You got the CE? Do Tina and Christie have thong action going on on the back of their CE swimsuits? Also, I heard Lei fangs CE swimsuit isnt a thong anymore (as that particular suit was in DoAX2). Can you confirm this?

Galdelico

This is why I wanted the game so much but the bad netcode just makes it seem like a waste of time.
Don't want to be the troll here and it's not even about you (your post just made me think about it), but I can't help to notice a good part of community's disappointment sounds to me like 'I got this game to see online tittays, but the netcode is crap and offline tittays are boring'.

I don't get it. Do these people even care for actual gameplay/fighting mechanics?

Esura

Banned
The matches I played with some Gaffers yesterday were satisfactory (played about 20 games) but with one session that was considerably laggy. Then again, the guy who was playing while I was spectating had a red bar connection thing next to his name but while I was playing it was cool. It wasn't TTT2 or SCV good but nowhere near bad as SCIV or Tekken 6 or any of the current gen KOFs. So I guess it depends on the connection. Never played DOA4 so I can't compare it (well, I did years ago at Gamestop but never online).

Haven't tried Ranked yet.

Don't want to be the troll here and it's not even about you (your post just made me think about it), but I can't help to notice a good part of community's disappointment sounds to me like 'I got this game to see online tittays, but the netcode is crap and offline tittays are boring'.

I don't get it. Do these people even care for actual gameplay/fighting mechanics?

For me personally, I love seeing good looking/hot females. Gamepley matters alot but if the look of the characters doesnt interest me (no hot females, too anime-ish etc), I wont play the game at all (ie Blazblu).
If SC4 & 5 didnt have create a character I wouldnt have touched them, but they did, and I enjoyed both immensely.

alstein

Bad netcode ruins good mechanics a lot quicker than it ruins titties.

I'm going to wait for another patch before deciding on this. I really wanted to get this game, but the impression I"m getting is that it isn't ready for 2012.

Kinyou

So how are the online lobbies? Does it still have that silly "walking around in a room" like in DoA 4 or does it go straight to the action? And how does the netcode/lag compare to DoA4?

Yeah, it seems like it's the best in the series and was downgraded for just being the same, which IMO, is not really a bad thing. Yet Modern Warfare 3 gets 10s and 9s!

I personally think too much innovation in a established fighting game can kill a series. You can't alienate the fanbase which is what was so disappointing about SoulCalibur V: too many new characters nobody cared about.

I've said this before but having VF characters guest star in DoA5 was a awesome addition. It's a great way of adding new characters without taking any risks of adding more generic characters.
I agree. After all do I want to play a DoA and not something else. Also I think a huge set of characters like in the new Tekken can be rather intimidating.

Slathe

Question about the online - is there anyway to do tag matches with two people per team? All the lobbies I've been in have only one player using two characters per team in tag fights. More specifically, I'm wondering if a friend and I can play off my tv/xbox online and do tag fights against others.

OSHAN

Played for about two hours last night, and man it feels totally different from DOA4.

I'm not sure what it is.

I agree. Granted, I haven't played DOA4 in at least 5 years, so I'm not sure how my memory is holding up (poorly, I'm sure), but it definitely feels a lot different.

I felt I was getting into it around hour three of playing, but then I had to get to bed because unfortunately, I require sleep.

If you care about gameplay and don't get much (or any) offline play then bad online means you very rarely (or never) get to play the real game versus other people. But sure, make it about the breasts.

Galdelico

Bad netcode ruins good mechanics a lot quicker than it ruins titties.
I must say I've never especially cared for online multiplayer in fighting games this gen, in terms of crucial deal-maker/breaker: I'm part of that minority of players who still are all about local vs, so I couldn't physically force myself to drop a game I'm genuinely interested in due to crappy netcode. But then again, it's just me and I totally understand people not buying this game since they planned to use it 99% online.

For me personally, I love seeing good looking/hot females. Gamepley matters alot but if the look of the characters doesnt interest me (no hot females, too anime-ish etc), I wont play the game at all (ie Blazblu).
If SC4 & 5 didnt have create a character I wouldnt have touched them, but they did, and I enjoyed both immensely.
That's quite an interesting perspective, which I agree with to a certain extent, although the 'hot chick' factor it's not as decisive to me.

OSHAN

Got the email with the code for my dumb amazon pre-order costumes.

It's even more nonsensical than the previous ones

I'll take those dumb costumes off your hands.

And I don't know if nonsensical truly encapsulates the story mode; I feel something like schizophrenia does a better job.

Initially I thought it was terrible with no redeeming qualities. I'm on chapter 35 now or something, if you want to call them chapters, and I can't say I'm not amused, because I am, but man, the idea that someone actually wrote this is mind boggling.

Mr_eX

I know the #1 ranked player on the worldwide leaderboards and he said that he's been getting spammed with messages from people wanting to fight him. I believe he said he got 50 messages during the span of one fight. There should be something in place on Xbox live to prevent stuff like that from happening.

It is? Seem pretty straight forward to me compared to what I've played of previous DOA's story stuff in Dimensions. I wish it was more nonsensical.

Rigg and Bass fought because Rigg said Bass' motorcycle wasn't going to do him any good on an oil rig.

Mr_eX

I really need to go into training and learn the new stuff in this game. I was playing online last night as Brad Wong using my DOA4 set ups and I only lost once in ranked, can't imagine how I would of done had I known how to do his new stuff.

Esura

Banned
Um...is it normal to play someone in a ranked match and for them to do nothing other than block? I don't get it. I got two Greats on this dude. What the hell was he trying to do?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The CE is much bigger than I expected!

mKtUdl.jpg

Played both versions for a few hours last night, mostly in quick 1v1 matches online. The game froze up several times on both PS3 and 360. This is inexcusable and Team Ninja needs to fix whatever is causing these bugs to occur ASAP.

Online was, overall, good- there were some pretty bad matches filled with noticeable lag, but the majority of the matches I played went pretty smoothly. This game is nowhere near as bad online as some reported it to be yesterday. I made sure to only search for matches in the same region and also disabled the throwdown setting when available.

As for the game itself, I don't know yet. The game is solid, but something just feels...off. Whereas I was pretty excited when I started playing Tekken Tag Tournament 2 two weeks ago, this game felt like I was playing a slightly-slower DOA4 with the added power blows and (slow!) side-stepping. I do like that countering seems to be more difficult than previous games...it always felt too easy before. I think I may prefer TTT2 to this game right now, which is surprising given that I've always tended to prefer DOA over Tekken in the past, but I definitely need to keep playing more. Haven't even tried all the characters yet.

Doomshine

Um...is it normal to play someone in a ranked match and for them to do nothing other than block? I don't get it. I got two Greats on this dude. What the hell was he trying to do?

Does the game have any trophies/achievements for doing X number of matches? I've run into people in other games who did nothing and their explanation was that they just wanted the trophy.

Jayhawk

I beat story mode last night, but I didn't complete about 7 of the bonus missions. So I'll have to redo those missions I missed after practicing the execution for those missions (e.g., Hayabusa's Izuna combos and Hitomi's 7-hit juggle combos).

But first, I think I will work on unlocking more costumes by beating Arcade mode with various characters.

OSHAN

Does the game have any trophies/achievements for doing X number of matches? I've run into people in other games who did nothing and their explanation was that they just wanted the trophy.

Yes, play 10/100/1000 matches is unfortunately a trophy. No winning required.

Esura

Banned

Yeah, there is a trophy for it. But still, they could at least play. Not playing ain't gonna make getting the trophy any faster and it would be boring in the process.

Top Bottom