• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

raven777

So i haven't had a chance to play it much since I got it last night, but I've been messing around with arcade mode trying to familiarize myself with playing the game...I'm noticing a bit of a big nuisance with the game so far.

I'm playing on the PS3 version, and occasionally in the middle of the fight...frames will just stop. The game literally freezes for like maybe 0.5-2 seconds at a time every so often. This is really annoying in a game so timing based. Has anyone else experienced anything like this??

Oh...this sounds like it might be it

Time to pay it forward: turn off Throwdowns. The next time someone brings this up, it will be your responsibility to inform them.

pass-it-on.jpg
They really should fix this problem with patch soon.

KSai

After a crippling losing streak last night, I went into training mode today and had some practice in Simple Match. I have a new main now, Ayane. Spinning towards freedom! (I almost forgot, dat hat! For the love of God man, everyone wear hats on your characters.)

If you take pictures in Photo mode, you can try copying the data to a USB and it'll give you a thumbnail at the very least.

KSai

It also did it in Street Fighter IV if you turned Fight Request on. I always used Arcade mode to wait for challengers instead of Training.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
For the regular costumes, just beat Arcade mode multiple times? Does it have to be on increasing difficulties?

Skilletor

awwwww, Skilletor has a heart.

I'm not afraid to amend an opinion. Yesterday was horrible, today was good. This is my favorite series; nobody was more upset than me for the negative experience.

Hey man let's get on it right now! I'm probably off since I haven't touched it in awhile but don't care!

Can't right now, maybe this weekend. Or we could try DoA. :) Who are you using?

This is pretty much what I do now. Holds from what I've seen is pretty much lucky guessing due to how fast the attacks in this game are. Coupled with them working only half the time I'd rather not get frustrated and try to focus on other things like not pressing buttons while blocking which I can't help doing right now.

It really just sounds like you need experience. Lucky guessing is going to get you high counter thrown. Although doa doesnt have the technical requrirements of other fighters, you do need to be familiar with everbodys movelists. I recommend doing command training with characters giving you problems.

DR2K

Banned
For the regular costumes, just beat Arcade mode multiple times? Does it have to be on increasing difficulties?

Doesn't matter which difficulty as long as it's different.

You can also unlock costumes in any other mode. Survival, time attack, single, or tag(only first chaarcter gets costume).

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So I upload my save file to the cloud, go over to his place where we play a bit of the story mode. I then re-upload my save so I can download it when I get home. Now at home the game shows that I've unlocked Akira and Sarah, but the trophy remains unlocked. The trophy unlock message popped up when I was at my buddies though, so this is weird. How do I get those trophies to unlock?

KSai

It's a synchronization problem. If you didn't sync at your friend's place, it's not going to show up. I've lost a lot of Portal 2 trophies to de-syncing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So I upload my save file to the cloud, go over to his place where we play a bit of the story mode. I then re-upload my save so I can download it when I get home. Now at home the game shows that I've unlocked Akira and Sarah, but the trophy remains unlocked. The trophy unlock message popped up when I was at my buddies though, so this is weird. How do I get those trophies to unlock?

Delete your save and do the story mode quickly ignoring the missions. So long as you turn off "save back-up of your save" your save in the cloud won't be updated. It'll be like 1-2 hours story work unless you skip the cut scenes to get those again.

Then delete that save, restore your save from the cloud and make sure you sync trophies next time.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Delete your save and do the story mode quickly ignoring the missions. So long as you turn off "save back-up of your save" your save in the cloud won't be updated. It'll be like 1-2 hours story work unless you skip the cut scenes to get those again.

Then delete that save, restore your save from the cloud and make sure you sync trophies next time.

That would work. Thanks :)

Man, I'm feeling really deflated. Second day of DOA5 and I can count with two fingers the number of perfectly lag free matches I've had. There was an undeniably huge jump in art direction from 4 to 5 but overall the sequel is starting to feel much less... polished? Certainly doesn't help that I jumped from P4A to this. Talk about stark contrasts...

I think I'm going to give it a break for a day and sulk.

KSai

I think you really had to have played DOA4 to get used to this game. A ton of the moves are easily recognizable from the last game so I've had a great time countering nearly everything. Running into the Virtua Fighter characters wasn't too bad. I have difficulty with people that I suspect were above B rank in DOA4 because of the way they pause their movements.

TheSeks

Any character that isn't Ryu is pretty good to start with. I'd probably avoid Bass and Tina (okay maybe only Bass) due to their holds, but any of the characters is a good place to start since you're going to be learning P/K's before doing Holds and Free/Throws.

Any character that isn't Ryu is pretty good to start with. I'd probably avoid Bass and Tina (okay maybe only Bass) due to their holds, but any of the characters is a good place to start since you're going to be learning P/K's before doing Holds and Free/Throws.
Only a masochist would start with Bass. :/

TheSeks

Jann Lee, Kasumi, Hayabusa

Good characters to begin with and learn the system.

I see you, stirring shit.gif

Ryu requires too many holds and throw commands for newbies to start off with.

Mesharey

Hitomi is very good to start with too.

Sarah is my main in VF and I'm good there but I'm lost with her here. :x

What is the best way to slow escape ?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Has this happened to anyone, and is there a fix: my movelist when using Leifang is locked to neutral punches.

Scratch that, every character only has neutral punches appearing in the on screen movelist. And whatever setting governs this sticks through a restart. Back to mashing I guess.

Skilletor

I see you, stirring shit.gif

Ryu requires too many holds and throw commands for newbies to start off with.

You don't need Ryu's advanced holds to win, and the Izuna Drop can be done by mashing 360 and pressing h+p when combo throw comes up.

Hayabusa is fast, safe, has excellent combo and striking capability that are not difficult to learn. It's hilarious that they qualify him as a grappler. He's the poster boy of the series. They're usually not too difficult to learn.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I think I found what is one of the most annoying players online.

Pai Chan and Jann Lee users.

Pai users spamming a freaking long juggle and Jann Lee Dragon Gunners like crazy. I managed to win some but Jesus they are annoying most of the ones I played.

I found 1 Mila user annoying but I havent really encountered more annoying Mila players.

Any characters you seem to be having problems with?

TheSeks

So what's the consensus on the easiest/fastest way to unlock costumes? Also how many do each of the characters generally have? 4?

If you're wanting outfits you have to beat arcade mode ONCE EACH CHARACTER PER DIFFICULTY.

4-7, more on the girls obviously.

Mesharey

So what's the consensus on the easiest/fastest way to unlock costumes? Also how many do each of the characters generally have? 4?
Play arcade or time attack with tag, the first character gets the costume, but you can play the same difficulty once for time attack and arcade.
Number of costumes :
Kasumi 6
Ayane 6
Helena 5
Hitomi 6
Mila 6
Rig 4
LeiFang 8
Jann Lee 5
Alpha
Sarah 2
Pai 2
Hayabusa 4
Hayate 4
Bayman 5
Eliot 5 
Brad 5 
Akira 2
Gen Fu 2
Zack 4
Bass 4
Tina 7
Christie 6
Kokoro 6
Lisa 7

Got my copy from jbhi fi, had both angels and devils dlc included, good to see none of that preorder bs down here.

Living in Sydney, this was my plan too... until i heard about the netcode.
Does the DLC give you swimsuits for ALL the girls? (Tina and Lisa being my priority).

TheSeks

Play arcade or time attack with tag, the first character gets the costume, but you can play the same difficulty once for time attack and arcade.
Number of costumes :
Kasumi 6
Ayane 6
Helena 5
Hitomi 6
Mila 6
Rig 4
LeiFang 8
Jann Lee 5
Alpha
Sarah 2
Pai 2
Hayabusa 4
Hayate 4
Bayman 5
Eliot 5 
Brad 5 
Akira 2
Gen Fu 2
Zack 4
Bass 4
Tina 7
Christie 6
Kokoro 6
Lisa 7

That doesn't unlock the skimpy bikini's on the girls, though, does it?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Any word yet on which version is better?

Maybe I'm going crazy, but I spent several hours playing the 360 version today, then popped the PS3 version in and thought that it looked sharper and had a noticeably better picture. Seemed a bit more colorful.

FroJay

Banned
Got my copy today, not sure if I should open it? Maybe the netcode of Tekken Tag 2 has ruined me, but I want to make sure this isn't lag fest.

Got my copy today, not sure if I should open it? Maybe the netcode of Tekken Tag 2 has ruined me, but I want to make sure this isn't lag fest.
It varies as it really depends on your connection. For me, 3 bars is good. Lower than that, it will lag but it's playable. From my experience, I had a few lag free matches today. Most of them did lag a bit.

Looks like a new patch is needed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS4Msf-Z05o&feature=youtu.be

Pachinko

Well , I'm taking my time with this game and just playing story mode an hour a night combined with some random other playing.

I think I've spent enough time now to give at least an overall thought -

It's good but something feels off. I'm not 100% sure what exactly, possibly it's that it feels like this game is a bit rushed. I'm all for making ps3 the lead platform since it tends to be beneficial for both consoles but I can't help but feel that the graphics would be better if they'd made this xbox exclusive like 4 was. I had the option of buying it on either console but I've invested in an arcade stick only on xbox and even though it's hardly necessary for this game I figured, whatever I'll buy it on 360 in case I feel like using the stick.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned how they found doa4 looked better in a few ways and the more I play this the more I'm finding I agree with that assessment. There's certainly MUCH better character models in doa5, no contest and of course the shadowing is better but man the textures really do look bad in many places - just compare the streets level in doa4 to the new york stage in doa5 , or the monkey mountain stage to the chinese hamlet level in 5. The good looking stages in doa4 just flat out look much more polished even with pre-baked lighting. I'm not 100% sure what's to blame here- the obviously low budget 5 must have had or having to design it first for ps3. Also something to be said about 5 hiding the stage design behind flashiness. You can still fall off ledges or crash through ceilings/walls /etc and it looks really flashy when it happens but it doesn't feel otherwordly like it did in the past.

It's like... I'm not sure but .. it's almost like DOA5 feels like a prototype / reboot but it also has to attempt to be similar to the old games. It's certainly still fun to play especially now that I've seen some of the newer moves and tried them out for myself but I just can't shake that feeling that it's missing something or it feels off.

Also my budget complaints , I'm basing that almost entirely off the hilariously awful story mode, no CG whatsoever , everything is in game and instead of using some consistent stages like MK did last year they have levels all over the place so they constantly have to subtitled " a few days later in XXXX" to cover up the 3000 mile distance difference. When I say awful I mean that in an entertaining way , like it's so bad it's funny but still.

Either way I'm glad I bought it because it's still fun but it's not doing it for me like I thought it would , I kind of hope this team gets a chance to make either a deluxe version of this game or a port to next gen systems where I think they'll be able to fully pull off stages as large as doa2/3/4 with the added flashiness of 5 AND have high quality textures everywhere while keeping the better character models.

I'd still say it's worth grabbing for DOA fans if for nothing else then to see someone elses take on the franchise and that IS what's going on here on some level , it's noticeable, like when twisted metal 3 and 4 were made by 989 instead of singletrac but not nearly that disastrous.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Bought this baby today, lovin' it so far! It is my first DOA.

Sticking with Mila, she seems like a great starter character. Plus boobs and dat wink.

Going online and selecting opponents nearby. Out of the 6 matches I played, I'd say 2 of them were too laggy, with my first one barely having any (noticeable from me anyways).

So far my favorite boobs are Kasumi, Tina, Mila, and Lei Fang. I think Tina's will win out in the end though. Advanced American weaponry! I don't think I've played as a male character yet lol

Vazra

Well , I'm taking my time with this game and just playing story mode an hour a night combined with some random other playing.

I think I've spent enough time now to give at least an overall thought -

It's good but something feels off. I'm not 100% sure what exactly, possibly it's that it feels like this game is a bit rushed. I'm all for making ps3 the lead platform since it tends to be beneficial for both consoles but I can't help but feel that the graphics would be better if they'd made this xbox exclusive like 4 was. I had the option of buying it on either console but I've invested in an arcade stick only on xbox and even though it's hardly necessary for this game I figured, whatever I'll buy it on 360 in case I feel like using the stick.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned how they found doa4 looked better in a few ways and the more I play this the more I'm finding I agree with that assessment. There's certainly MUCH better character models in doa5, no contest and of course the shadowing is better but man the textures really do look bad in many places - just compare the streets level in doa4 to the new york stage in doa5 , or the monkey mountain stage to the chinese hamlet level in 5. The good looking stages in doa4 just flat out look much more polished even with pre-baked lighting. I'm not 100% sure what's to blame here- the obviously low budget 5 must have had or having to design it first for ps3. Also something to be said about 5 hiding the stage design behind flashiness. You can still fall off ledges or crash through ceilings/walls /etc and it looks really flashy when it happens but it doesn't feel otherwordly like it did in the past.

It's like... I'm not sure but .. it's almost like DOA5 feels like a prototype / reboot but it also has to attempt to be similar to the old games. It's certainly still fun to play especially now that I've seen some of the newer moves and tried them out for myself but I just can't shake that feeling that it's missing something or it feels off.

Also my budget complaints , I'm basing that almost entirely off the hilariously awful story mode, no CG whatsoever , everything is in game and instead of using some consistent stages like MK did last year they have levels all over the place so they constantly have to subtitled " a few days later in XXXX" to cover up the 3000 mile distance difference. When I say awful I mean that in an entertaining way , like it's so bad it's funny but still.

Either way I'm glad I bought it because it's still fun but it's not doing it for me like I thought it would , I kind of hope this team gets a chance to make either a deluxe version of this game or a port to next gen systems where I think they'll be able to fully pull off stages as large as doa2/3/4 with the added flashiness of 5 AND have high quality textures everywhere while keeping the better character models.

I'd still say it's worth grabbing for DOA fans if for nothing else then to see someone elses take on the franchise and that IS what's going on here on some level , it's noticeable, like when twisted metal 3 and 4 were made by 989 instead of singletrac but not nearly that disastrous.

Gameplay wise the game is way better than DOA4 maybe on tie with U2 or may I even dare say 3.(not 3.1) The complaining seems to be around the visuals which when you are fighting you probably won't be focusing so much on that. Overall better direction art direction and the game feels as good as usual.

This is messed up. I cannot do Senko Izuna at all, not in training not during Ryu's fight where it's the bonus mission. I know I'm doing the command right and I have no issues doing the regular Izuna nor do I have problems in the previous games completing it. I can never do the final part to it and it's driving me insane.

Vazra

This is messed up. I cannot do Senko Izuna at all, not in training not during Ryu's fight where it's the bonus mission. I know I'm doing the command right and I have no issues doing the regular Izuna nor do I have problems in the previous games completing it. I can never do the final part to it and it's driving me insane.

Do random 360 moves it works

Edit: Oh that one...

Top Bottom