• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Probably didn't help that the DOA rap in the game is performed by one of the members of the DOA tournament scene.

He did one song and it is the worse. I don't want them to use him for DOA6 and hopefully no Rap. While the stage music fits the stage it could have been way more since some are just too calmed to actually pump you up. I did like the credits song even if it had rap on it.

KageMaru

Beat story mode last night and have been playing arcade trying to unlock outfits. Loving the game so far, but the AI just seems cheap, or is it just me? I'm mixing up my moves well enough, or so I think, but I'm still getting countered left and right.

Also I'm hoping they eventually allow us to just pay to unlock the outfits. I don't really care to play arcade or time trial on the hardest difficulty levels to unlock everything.

Also yeah the music is pretty bad, and unless I'm mistaken some are just recycled from DoA4. Thank god for custom soundtracks.

FTFY. You're welcome. :)

Yeah, I'm really disappointed Ein isn't in the game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They play completely different
If we go by the story this might be Gen Fu Last game afterall he did said Eliot was worthy to be his successor

I will miss the old bastard if that's true. :( Eliot is not a suitable replacement since they both play fundamentally different even if they have the same style of Kung-Fu. I mean just look at their stances and pokes. Completely different, or maybe I'm just going insane.

I will miss the old bastard if that's true. :( Eliot is not a suitable replacement since they both play fundamentally different even if they have the same style of Kung-Fu. I mean just look at their stances and pokes. Completely different, or maybe I'm just going insane.

This actually always bothered me that Eliot is considered the apprentice of genfu since their fighting styles in game are completely different.

Mr_eX

He did one song and it is the worse. I don't want them to use him for DOA6 and hopefully no Rap. While the stage music fits the stage it could have been way more since some are just too calmed to actually pump you up. I did like the credits song even if it had rap on it.

Needs more Aerosmith

zlatko

Banned
Played a good amount last night, and the online only had 1 laggy game really. When it is laggy it does suck major balls, but the rest were just fine.

A lot of the game gives me the impression of a rushed product. This game needed another 6 months to a year in the oven to polish itself off. Even simple things like menus in this game are atrocious. They serve their purpose, but the game lacks stylizing for interface to make it pop.

The actual fighting is top notch, although I am flustered when I play against people who just mash mid punch reversals since that's how I try to set up pokes/pressure. Throws seem hard to implement at the scrub level due to mashers.

Game overall feels worth the 60 bucks to me so far, but I am having trouble finding a character that "clicks" with me. :(

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Played a good amount last night, and the online only had 1 laggy game really. When it is laggy it does suck major balls, but the rest were just fine.

A lot of the game gives me the impression of a rushed product. This game needed another 6 months to a year in the oven to polish itself off. Even simple things like menus in this game are atrocious. They serve their purpose, but the game lacks stylizing for interface to make it pop.

The actual fighting is top notch, although I am flustered when I play against people who just mash mid punch reversals since that's how I try to set up pokes/pressure. Throws seem hard to implement at the scrub level due to mashers.

Game overall feels worth the 60 bucks to me so far, but I am having trouble finding a character that "clicks" with me. :(
Yeah. I do feel that it's rushed, or at least not up to standards I'd place on a game today. It's a fun and gorgeous game but a dated package.

My girlfriend decided to pick up Brad Wong last night. We had a great time watching Drunken Master 2 and finding some moves in there, especially the one where he forced Andy Lau into a handstand and kicks him in the gut.

zlatko

Banned
Ya, it feels rushed. Christie is cool, I just feels like she lacks options.

She does strike quickly and her stance stuff at first glance seemed good, but you get bopped out of it quickly attempting to use it lol.

I did enjoy Hitomi and Mila though. Tried Rig a lot too, but he feels too slow or maybe it's his recovery on moves. Brad is cool, but too complex for me lol.

Going to unlock Akira tonight to mess with him, and also give some time to the rest of the cast to find who fits me. Right now I enjoy Mila.

Mesharey

Thanks... So let's say I want to get all of the costumes for one character... Can I do one round of arcade on the easiest setting, then one round of tag on the easiest setting, getting two costumes, and then I have to raise the difficulty to keep getting more?

One more question, can I play tag mode online with a friend against the AI? Or is that local only?
Don't know about tag, but regarding the costumes, yes.

Dany

Banned
I remember being semiactive on Doacenteral. I played against him quite a bit I recall. Along with a few other 'pros' its weird seeing folks I played on DOA2U and 4 are pro's.

segarr

Does anyone have a DOA5 Gamestop Angel Bunnies swimsuits code?

I'd trade an Amazon ‘DOA Devils’ black bunny swimsuits code for one

*Oh, this is for PS3 version btw

zlatko

Banned
Could someone explain the training mode notations for punches/kicks? Like the small little arrows and what they mean. I know a big white arrow over it means hold down, but what do the rest mean?

Skilletor

Could someone explain the training mode notations for punches/kicks? Like the small little arrows and what they mean. I know a big white arrow over it means hold down, but what do the rest mean?

Do you mean the ones actually on the buttons that look like carats? Those indicate which hit level the attack is blocked/countered.

The directional arrows mean press (white) or hold (black).

Sora_N

Does anyone have a DOA5 Gamestop Angel Bunnies swimsuits code?

I'd trade an Amazon ‘DOA Devils’ black bunny swimsuits code for one

*Oh, this is for PS3 version btw

Dammit I didn't know Amazon had the devils one, I hope I can purchase those later. I would have traded you tho if I hadn't used my code. :/

zlatko

Banned
Do you mean the ones actually on the buttons that look like carats? Those indicate which hit level the attack is blocked/countered.

The directional arrows mean press (white) or hold (black).

Yeah the little tiny ones on the actual P or K. So they just tell you if the attack is done high, mid, or low? Cool. Thanks for the heads up. :D

Also, when it comes to counter holds, are most of you guys just mashing back and hold so if the opponent is mashing standard P attacks they will get countered?

Yeah the little tiny ones on the actual P or K. So they just tell you if the attack is done high, mid, or low? Cool. Thanks for the heads up. :D

Also, when it comes to counter holds, are most of you guys just mashing back and hold so if the opponent is mashing standard P attacks they will get countered?
Yeah, you can mash. Eventually though, you will start to catch on and be able to counter without having to mash. It's just a matter of playing more and learning what types of attacks the opponent is constantly using against you.

alstein

Yeah. I do feel that it's rushed, or at least not up to standards I'd place on a game today. It's a fun and gorgeous game but a dated package.

My girlfriend decided to pick up Brad Wong last night. We had a great time watching Drunken Master 2 and finding some moves in there, especially the one where he forced Andy Lau into a handstand and kicks him in the gut.

If it was rushed, that would be beyond moronic, as they could have delayed, and released away from TTT2.

That may rank up there with DLC gems as the boneheaded FG decision of 2012.

Skilletor

Nope. Mash hold against me and you'll eat a 40% grab. :)

I typically don't counter until I notice my opponent has certain tendencies. You can usually tell pretty early in a match how your opponent will play the stun game.
Having a lot of trouble trying to learn how to do holds. I just don't know when/how to react and use them properly.

That comes from experience, usually. Is there anything specific you're having trouble with?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I really wish training mode had a list specifically to tell you which moves transfer into which stances. Having a hell of a time turning Gen Fu around. And searching just brings up a ton of DOA fanfiction.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit.
Kasumi (or is Ayane, the colors are a little off but I think it's Kasumi) is the one behind Bayman's scar
!? That ending, DOA6 needs to happen now. :(

Damn, I really need to stay out of this thread until my copy shows up.

Pro tip: Never buy anything from GameStop online. I should of just did in-store pick-up, but work schedule doesn't allow such frivolities. I should get my game Friday, but am obviously way behind the curve.

Damn, I really need to stay out of this thread until my copy shows up.

Pro tip: Never buy anything from GameStop online. I should of just did in-store pick-up, but work schedule doesn't allow such frivolities. I should get my game Friday, but am obviously way behind the curve.

I preordered mine on amazon and they didn't ship it till yesterday.

Mr_eX

Nope. Mash hold against me and you'll eat a 40% grab. :)

I typically don't counter until I notice my opponent has certain tendencies. You can usually tell pretty early in a match how your opponent will play the stun game.

I think I should play with you sometime since you seem to know what you're talking about. 99% of the people I've played online are terrible and provide 0 challenge.

I preordered mine on amazon and they didn't ship it till yesterday.

Sent you a PM.

I think I should play with you sometime since you seem to know what you're talking about. 99% of the people I've played online are terrible and provide 0 challenge.

Damn... now I'm afraid to play against you lol. Who do you main? We need to get a 360 GAF lobby going, if not tonight then this weekend.

Raiho

Neo Member
Holy shit.
Kasumi (or is Ayane, the colors are a little off but I think it's Kasumi) is the one behind Bayman's scar
!? That ending, DOA6 needs to happen now. :(

It really is difficult to tell if that's Kasumi, Ayane or a clone. It doesn't make sense for Ayane's character to shed a tear in that situation, but I've heard the artbook has concept art of Ayane wearing a similar cloak outfit. Maybe it was just a piece of concept art left over from NG3 though.

I've wanted a co-op action RPG starring Ayane, Kasumi, Hayate and Hayabusa since vanilla Ninja Gaiden came out. It would pretty much be top-down Ninja Gaiden combat with stats.
DoA5's ending would be a good place to start for a game like that.
I just don't know if I'd trust Team Ninja to make that kind of game after NG3.

kyo27

Yeah I've been watching DoA5 streams for quite awhile and what stuck out was just some absolutely awful music. It's like anti-fighting game music that gets me unexcited for a match.

I forgot how awesome DoA2 was in this regard. Pretty much everyone had an A-class theme that brought the hype.

Yea the music is pretty bad. Also there is NO INTRO. WTF. Those Aerosmith intros or even the one from DoA2 with that exciter song were always amazing.

galvatron

Is there a way to get hit sparks that tell you the height of an attack (low, mid, high) in training mode?

Pardon me if this is super obvious, but I've been really busy with work and only had time to do training mode with Tina and a few story chapters.

Skilletor

Is there a way to get hit sparks that tell you the height of an attack (low, mid, high) in training mode?

Pardon me if this is super obvious, but I've been really busy with work and only had time to do training mode with Tina and a few story chapters.

No. That would be really useful.

I've never actually thought about how difficult it must be for new players to tell the height of attacks. :/

Right now Brad Wong but I'm thinking of switching to Rigg. I'll be playing some tonight after I get home from work.

Feel free to add me. Skillzilla81 on PSN/XBL. I won't be on much in the next week or two. Lots of homework. :( But if I'm on, just send an invite.

Mr_eX

Sent you a friend request on live.

I really hate having to unlock characters in fighting games. I just want to play multiplayer.

Top Bottom