• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm probably gonna have the game sometime after the 3rd or so. Who want's to train me on psn :D so I can assimilate the game super fast.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
It really is difficult to tell if that's Kasumi, Ayane or a clone. It doesn't make sense for Ayane's character to shed a tear in that situation, but I've heard the artbook has concept art of Ayane wearing a similar cloak outfit. Maybe it was just a piece of concept art left over from NG3 though.

I've wanted a co-op action RPG starring Ayane, Kasumi, Hayate and Hayabusa since vanilla Ninja Gaiden came out. It would pretty much be top-down Ninja Gaiden combat with stats.
DoA5's ending would be a good place to start for a game like that.
I just don't know if I'd trust Team Ninja to make that kind of game after NG3.

I've been wondering why Kasumi, Hayate, and Ayane weren't added as playable characters alongside Ryu ever since the original NG myself. I like that NG Sigma 2 had Ayane, Rachel, and Momoji playable, but they were only restricted to certain levels and the multiplayer mode.

Even if they weren't part of the story and were just bonus unlockable characters, it would really add to the game's replay value, IMO.

Mr Jared

My only complaint about DOA5 (because the game itself is fantastic fun, as usual) is how boring it appears. In previous DOA games you fought on the Las Vegas strip in traffic, knocked your opponent off elephants, giant gongs, dinosaurs, down the great wall of china, surfed your opponents off the side of a mountain.. all sorts of crazy shit and it was ridiculous and always exciting.

In DOA5 you fight from one brown and grey environment to the next brown and grey environment and while there are a few exciting set pieces, none of them really match the over-the-top nature of the previous games. This drab feeling also extends to the hidden costumes, which are always a staple of the series. It's not so much about unlocking "sexy" costumes for the girls, but just sort of the ridiculous nature of it all. I miss Bayman's awesome scuba diver outfit and Zach's alien costumes as much as I miss Tina's catsuits and whatnot.

Dead or Alive has always been one of my favorite fighting series because it was the ultimate escapism fighter. Dead or Alive 5, from a technical standpoint, is probably as tight as its ever been, but I also never cared whether or not it was "competitive," or hell, even if it was remotely balanced or not. I just enjoyed it for the crazy environments, cool costumes and fast, easy-to-play action. I got 1 out of the 3 but DAT MAGIC feels missing.

TLDR: Dead or Alive 5 isn't stupid enough. Needs more scuba diving MMA experts punching dinosaurs in the face.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My only complaint about DOA5 (because the game itself is fantastic fun, as usual) is how boring it appears. In previous DOA games you fought on the Las Vegas strip in traffic, knocked your opponent off elephants, giant gongs, dinosaurs, down the great wall of china, surfed your opponents off the side of a mountain.. all sorts of crazy shit and it was ridiculous and always exciting.

In DOA5 you fight from one brown and grey environment to the next brown and grey environment and while there are a few exciting set pieces, none of them really match the over-the-top nature of the previous games. This drab feeling also extends to the hidden costumes, which are always a staple of the series. It's not so much about unlocking "sexy" costumes for the girls, but just sort of the ridiculous nature of it all. I miss Bayman's awesome scuba diver outfit and Zach's alien costumes as much as I miss Tina's catsuits and whatnot.

Dead or Alive has always been one of my favorite fighting series because it was the ultimate escapism fighter. Dead or Alive 5, from a technical standpoint, is probably as tight as its ever been, but I also never cared whether or not it was "competitive," or hell, even if it was remotely balanced or not. I just enjoyed it for the crazy environments, cool costumes and fast, easy-to-play action. I got 1 out of the 3 but DAT MAGIC feels missing.

TLDR: Dead or Alive 5 isn't stupid enough. Needs more scuba diving MMA experts punching dinosaurs in the face.

Hitomi and Lei Fang both got their explorer outfits still. Also hitomi can be a clown. Those are both pretty silly. But overall yeah the game is lacking

zlatko

Banned
Hitomi and Lei Fang both got their explorer outfits still. Also hitomi can be a clown. Those are both pretty silly. But overall yeah the game is lacking

It's kind of what we touched on earlier today in the thread: the game feels like a rushed project. You can see it all over, even in simple things like user interfaces and menus.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's kind of what we touched on earlier today in the thread: the game feels like a rushed project. You can see it all over, even in simple things like user interfaces and menus.

I get the feeling they rushed it out because of TTT2, really wish companies would stop doing silly shit like that. Thankfully the gameplay seems really solid and that's what maters

Persona7

Banned
So is this better on 360 or PS3? I have a stick for both consoles. I am leaning towards 360 because it will probably have a larger community.

zlatko

Banned
I hope this game sells well (more online players). EU release tomorrow.

I don't think it'll do well at all. Decent reviews, niche, and talks of poopy net code.

Also, I feel they wasted resources on that facebook feature. Are any of you going to use it? I much prefer what Namco did with WTF.com for TTT2.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Call me crazy but I actually really like Hitomi's clown outfit once you remove the nose with right trigger.

Also, I feel they wasted resources on that facebook feature. Are any of you going to use it? I much prefer what Namco did with WTF.com for TTT2.
Twitter + Twitpic uploads would've been all I wanted.

Plus I'm guessing they had extra budget due to the last few being launch games for MS consoles. Re-using the cutscenes from the previous games in the story mode, even with the filters they use over them you can still tell they're super high quality. The presentation for the story mode was pretty poor and boring overall. It's not the "real doll" aspect I miss from the older games but the bright and colorful presentation Jared mentioned. I'm going to play it tonight with friends and that'll be the deal breaker. If they're not into it then I'm trading it.

Levito

Banned
So what exactly is the easiest way to unlock costumes in this game?

I'm about half way through the story mode and played about 9 matches online last night and didn't get a single one.

zlatko

Banned
So what exactly is the easiest way to unlock costumes in this game?

I'm about half way through the story mode and played about 9 matches online last night and didn't get a single one.

Arcade, score attack, time trial. Complete any of them on Rookie = you get a costume for that character each time, so you can get 3 per character quickly doing that.

Giolon

I'm loving the story mode. Yes, it's hilariously awful, but I love that about it. The Brad Wong / Elliot dumpling scenes have been my favorite so far. Absolutely classic.

I've played all the other DOA fighting games, and the boobs have always been a bit ridiculous, but these are on a whole new level. They move on their own, even when no other movement is going on, and they keep going...on, and on, and on. It's moved beyond joke/fanservice territory to bizarre/creepy. I wish there were a way to turn it down.

zlatko

Banned
I'm loving the story mode. Yes, it's hilariously awful, but I love that about it. The Brad Wong / Elliot dumpling scenes have been my favorite so far. Absolutely classic.

I've played all the other DOA fighting games, and the boobs have always been a bit ridiculous, but these are on a whole new level. They move on their own, even when other movement is going on, and they keep going...on, and on, and on. It's moved beyond joke/fanservice territory to bizarre/creepy. I wish there were a way to turn it down.

I thought I was the only one. When Helena in some of the first story cut scenes was jiggling at a crazy velocity when she was literally standing still with her arms crossed I was just like..."Wtf..has it always been like this in these games?" This is my first DOA game I bought, and up to now only mashed at friends' homes.

zlatko

Banned
DEATH™;42607213 said:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/178358/Team_Ninja_learns_to_fear_its_fans.php#.UGSxsRgjz2h

Good read... is there anyone here on Gaf complained when that toning down sexuality thing is being discussed?

I'm for the toning down. I'm fine with some bounce, but characters like Christie in her outfit 1 are literally jello just in permanent oceanic wave mode with her chest.

It's whatever, but I think a fair compromise is always just giving players more options and in this case it'd be via costumes. Give me a ton of less revealing/bad ass ones, and then some bikini fap material for the neckbeards. Everyone wins. Maybe even give players playing online the option to see opponents costume selections or have it pick only ones you pre determine for each character. That'd be a nifty feature.

I agree with this. This is sort of what happened in Tekken 6 from an aesthetic standpoint. I like these kind of realistic and gritty stages, but hate when it's unbalanced and there aren't enough of the bright and vibrant of stages as well. Hopefully DLC will sort this out. :/

Levito

Banned

I've played all the other DOA fighting games, and the boobs have always been a bit ridiculous, but these are on a whole new level. They move on their own, even when other movement is going on, and they keep going...on, and on, and on. It's moved beyond joke/fanservice territory to bizarre/creepy. I wish there were a way to turn it down.

Yeah the breast physics are comical, they don't even jiggle realistically, it's like 2 lumps of butter sliding around in a frying pad. Has no one at Team Ninja seen a woman go jogging?

This is a conversation I never though I'd have.

Dantis

The interface and menus seem fine from what I've seen. What are you comparing them to?

Skilletor

This game needs DLC soundtrack lol. Stages that are here are cool to me, but more the merrier.

I don't care about music in fighters. I think most of it is horrible.

Unless it's full of nostalgia (old capcom games), I typically couldn't care less.

Except for Soul Calibur series. I fucking love Soul Calibur music.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't care about music in fighters. I think most of it is horrible.

Unless it's full of nostalgia (old capcom games), I typically couldn't care less.

Except for Soul Calibur series. I fucking love Soul Calibur music.

My love for Guilty Gear makes me angry at this statement. I'm going to go write in a blog about how people on the internet make me angry now. * sarcasm*

zlatko

Banned
The interface and menus seem fine from what I've seen. What are you comparing them to?

They serve their purpose, but have no flash or style to them. Compare them to menu's for say UMvC3 which have a comic book feel, or the cool animation art in the background for Street Fighter 4. Tekken Tag 2 even changes the background a great deal and has various font styles, etc.

It's just bare bones with what is provided with DOA5 in that regard. Won't effect gameplay sure, but it just makes me feel more and more this game was rushed.

Dantis

They serve their purpose, but have no flash or style to them. Compare them to menu's for say UMvC3 which have a comic book feel, or the cool animation art in the background for Street Fighter 4. Tekken Tag 2 even changes the background a great deal and has various font styles, etc.

It's just bare bones with what is provided with DOA5 in that regard. Won't effect gameplay sure, but it just makes me feel more and more this game was rushed.

I'd be inclined to disagree... They fit the aesthetic of the rest of the game, and DOA has always had a very simplistic HUD.

I haven't played it yet, but from what I've seen, it doesn't look rushed to me.

This game is bare bones to hell and back. Does anyone else get the impression that they're holding back costumes, stages, and maybe even game modes for DLC?

Dantis

This game is bare bones to hell and back. Does anyone else get the impression that they're holding back costumes, stages, and maybe even game modes for DLC?

This is what I mean. I really don't understand. Doesn't it have like fifteen stages? And a similar amount of costumes to DOA4? What was everyone expecting?...

And in terms of modes, doesn't it have more content than every fighter except for MK9?

Some comments are seriously confusing me.

This is what I mean. I really don't understand. Doesn't it have like fifteen stages? And a similar amount of costumes to DOA4? What was everyone expecting?...

And in terms of modes, doesn't it have more content than every fighter except for MK9?

Some comments are seriously confusing me.

A lot of the outfits are ones that are palette swaps. Some of the outfits were contingent upon people preordering from multiple places. So I'm not impressed by the variety of outfits or the lack thereof. Some things are puzzling. Why offer swimsuits and not have a beach stage? Especially since one was in DOA4? It just seems like they they didn't retain a lot of stages from DOA4 that should have made the cut. A lot of the outfits are color variants and it makes me think that a lot of the more interesting ones are being held back for DLC.

Dantis

A lot of the outfits are ones that are palette swaps. Some of the outfits were contingent upon people preordering from multiple places. So I'm not impressed by the variety of outfits or the lack thereof. Some things are puzzling. Why offer swimsuits and not have a beach stage? Especially since one was in DOA4? It just seems like they they didn't retain a lot of stages from DOA4 that should have made the cut. A lot of the outfits are color variants and it makes me think that a lot of the more interesting ones are being held back for DLC.

That makes it barebones to hell and back?

I feel like people are really exaggerating flaws here. I mean, didn't MvC have like six stages, all miles less ambitious? No alternate costumes. Less modes.

Man, I almost feel like the Internet as a collective likes to over-complain about things.

Skilletor

A beach stage is boring? DoA rarely retain levels from previous DoA games?

Previous DoAs have had lots of color/palette swap costumes?

Preorders from multiple retailers is commonplace this gen. I think it's stupid, but that's not something specific to this game.

I mean, let's look at DoA4:

http://www.doawarzone.net/doa4_costumes/doa4_LeiFang.html

Lei Fang has 3 outfits if you don't want to count palette swaps.

Helena had 3 outfits:

http://www.doawarzone.net/doa4_costumes/doa4_Helena.html

Kasumi had 4 if you don't want to count palette swaps:

http://www.doawarzone.net/doa4_costumes/doa4_Kasumi.html

And, yeah, going through these the number of outfits is completely comparable. Most of the guys have 3. Ein had 2. lol The girls have more, but many are palette swaps.

I kind of think people only remember DOA1 and DOA2U as having lots of outfits, but DoA1 was pretty barebones for the guys and DoA2U was building on, like, 10 different versions of DoA2 lol.

On one hand, I desperately want DLC stages. But I don't think pointing out that the game has 15 stages or whatever tells the whole picture. For instance, the Home stage alone is comprised of 12 different stages. So I'd say more work goes into making DOA stages than anyone else's. But we know for sure we're getting DLC costumes and I hope stages are on that list, too.

On a side note, the official guide has an interview with Shimbori and he said that Ein, Leon, and Tengu were cut because they ran out of time and said that he'd like to include them in future iterations. He then said that Mila was originally going to be a boxer but he thought she wouldn't have a big enough arsenal so they made her full blown MMA. The last really interesting thing he said that he wants to do more with the VF characters, so take that how you will.

Skilletor

On one hand, I desperately want DLC stages. But I don't think pointing out that the game has 15 stages or whatever tells the whole picture. For instance, the Home stage alone is comprised of 12 different stages. So I'd say more work goes into making DOA stages than anyone else's. But we know for sure we're getting DLC costumes and I hope stages are on that list, too.

On a side note, the official guide has an interview with Shimbori and he said that Ein, Leon, and Tengu were cut because they ran out of time and said that he'd like to include them in future iterations. He then said that Mila was originally going to be a boxer but he thought she wouldn't have a big enough arsenal so they made her full blown MMA. The last really interesting thing he said that he wants to do more with the VF characters, so take that how you will.

Do want: Ein, Leon, Boxer.

DO not want: Tengu

The bottom row IS conspicuously empty.

Dantis

I don't think I'd be too interested in Leon, Tengu and Ein. If they were going to do any DLC characters, I'd rather they were either new or Ryo.

Hope we hear about DLC over the next couple of weeks. I'll buy pretty much anything beyond swimsuits.

Skilletor

I don't think I'd be too interested in Leon, Tengu and Ein. If they were going to do any DLC characters, I'd rather they were either new or Ryo.

Hope we hear about DLC over the next couple of weeks. I'll buy pretty much anything beyond swimsuits.

Isn't Ryo pretty much Akira?

Dantis

When I played through Shenmue, I knew nothing about Virtua Fighter, so I genuinely can't remember much about how he actually played. I just really like the character.

I'mma go watch some videos of the combat on Shenmue right now.

EDIT: Okay, so you were right, he's pretty much identical. Even so, that just makes it more doable! As a side-note, Shenmue's combat engine has aged horrendously.

Do want: Ein, Leon, Boxer.
I don't think they will as long as they have 4 point holds.  I suppose they could make a character that has the refined punches of a Steve Fox and then give them Miguel's sloppy looking kicks.  

Mila's boxing technique is really crisp, though.  I'd rather they just expanded her punch arsenal going forward and just left her kicks alone since she has enough of those to mix the punches up (kind of like how I want them to expand Lisa's capoeira stuff).  And let her add the submissions after either of the first two strikes in the ground positions, maybe with stricter timing required.

The bottom row IS conspicuously empty.
Maybe after they give the WiiU version a handful of new characters they won't fuck us over by not at least offering them up as some form of DLC. Preferably free, but not everyone can be Tekken God Harada.

Isn't Ryo pretty much Akira?
Yes. They should just give Akira a Ryo "costume" akin to La Mariposa and Mr. Strong.

Top Bottom