• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

I don't know what stage you're picking, but everytime I start a match I'm either punching someone through a floor or getting blown up by cars, tanks, or RPGs. So many explosions in this game.
Ask yourself how many of the following are left:
Stair danger zones?
Slope danger zones?
Short falls?
Mild Elevation changes?
Partitions (in the form of animals, fallen trees, tables, or walls)?
Mid-stage objects (poles, standing trees, lamps)?
Revolving doors?
Fruit?! Balloons?! Gongs?!

This is a fantastic game and a great improvement over DOA4 but there's nothing wrong with noting and missing elements that were in previous games. Itagaki made shitty fighting games when it came to executing the mechanics, but the man knew how to spice up his stages.

DOA5 is a good foundation for the future; it just feels a little lacking. I still think DOA2U should be held as the standard for single-player DOA content, not just regarding what modes the game had but how it executed them, too.
You can tell which fighting games are timeless and which are stopgaps until the next iteration. Most of that comes down to detail and polish in all of the "little things".
You're holding up the third major iteration of DOA2 as the standard bearer for content that each new DOA entry should live up to. Compare DOA2 for DC to DOA5 and the comparison is more favorable.

That said, I'm happy with the game and hope we get some patches and DLC.
Good to hear. As long as we get access to whatever stuff they add to the WiiU version, and given Team Ninja's past and present (see Ninja Gaiden 3 for WiiU) they will, I'll be happy.

Making the throw command a single button is wonderful, too. Glad you're liking it.

Glad to see so many new people/casuals are getting the game.

Very cool game, my very early impressions. Its 1:30 am here but I'll continue tomorrow :p

You should try Virtua Fighter if you haven't already, it's like the older sister of DoA - punch, kick, guard. I think the Virtua Fighter characters in this game control more or less identical to how they play in Virtua Fighter.

I have VF5:FS, I was very bad at it, couldn't play, I thought the gameplay was very slow. I have yet to unlock Akira and the others :p

Dre3001

So after having this game since release day I have to say I'm loving it.

DOA 4 was most played fighting game for me when I first got 360 and this game easily tops it.

Must say I agree with many of the comments here in that the core gameplay is really good.

Only complaints I have are the music in this game is not good at all and the stages like people have commented are rather forgettable.

Only stage I like so far is the same one they used for the alpha demo.

With DOA 4 many of the stages were memorable along with the music. The game had a somewhat epic feel to it. Like the music got me pumped to fight and there were actually stages where I wanted to play and would actively pick rather then keep stage choice on random as I do now.

I still am loving DOA 5 though just only had two complaints. If I could use any analogy I would say DOA 5 is like a expensive supercar with phenomal handling and driving experience but the car interior is cheap plastic.

Squire

Banned
I have VF5:FS, I was very bad at it, couldn't play, I thought the gameplay was very slow. I have yet to unlock Akira and the others :p

Oh, wow. That's interesting, but I suppose it makes sense. VF is what I'd recommend to somebody for something deeper/more serious than DOA, but similiar. They're basically cousins. VF5:FS I think is the best fighter of the generation.

But I'm loving DOA5. It might just be a close second for me.

Dantis

Same. I don't dislike it, but it doesn't flow nearly as well and I find it really boring. I'm sure it's great if you obsess over frames and balance and the like, but that barely bothers me. I much prefer DOA.

akaoni

Banned
Newbie here. Lots of players seem to be picking Ayane and they steamroll me everytime. I also seem to have problems getting successful holds on her because she attacks so fast. Is there any anti-Ayane strategy from previous DoA's that might be relevant?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Newbie here. Lots of players seem to be picking Ayane and they steamroll me everytime. I also seem to have problems getting successful holds on her because she attacks so fast. Is there any anti-Ayane strategy from previous DoA's that might be relevant?

Do her command training so you can learn what attacks lead to what.

kyo27

Music sux

Stages are ugly brown ass shit

So far I only like the new character models

The graphics are such a mixed bag in this game. Awesome looking character models, but awful uninspired stages. I think a lot of the stages look worse than they should because of the terrible textures, which are the worst you will see for any 3D fighter this gen. Having poor textures in the distance is one thing but the floors are so bad.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Getting all the costumes in this game is just too redundant for me, I know I'll start to dislike it if I try to trudge through the same old Arcade mode with every character. I might get a few costumes that I like and that's it really. I was able to unlock True Master difficulty with Mila. Tina, Bass, and Bayman absolutely destroy me with their grabs, in the right hands these two characters seem like the best in the game. I have so much to learn.

Have a friend coming over tomorrow, and we're gonna go through Story mode for the first time. Excited to see the terrible incomprehensible story everyone is talking about lol

Yuripaw

Banned
Getting all the costumes in this game is just too redundant for me, I know I'll start to dislike it if I try to trudge through the same old Arcade mode with every character. I might get a few costumes that I like and that's it really. I was able to unlock True Master difficulty with Mila. Tina, Bass, and Bayman absolutely destroy me with their grabs, in the right hands these two characters seem like the best in the game. I have so much to learn.

Have a friend coming over tomorrow, and we're gonna go through Story mode for the first time. Excited to see the terrible incomprehensible story everyone is talking about lol

Yeah...this was the problem with DOA2U and DOA4 with me also. I played through it so many damn times, and I was just so burned out by the time I was done that I didn't care to play it anymore.

Edit: This is partly why I got the CE. I wanted some silly costumes available for most of the characters right away that I didn't have to worry about unlocking. I'm just so past the point in games where I wanna play them repetitively like that just to unlock stuff. I wanna enjoy my games first now.

Ended up grabbing the PS3 version earlier. Sucks to hear that the soundtrack is pretty terrible. Does anyone know if the PS3 version supports custom soundtracks? If not, I may swap it out for a 360 copy. Bad music can really put a damper on an otherwise enjoyable experience.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Ended up grabbing the PS3 version earlier. Sucks to hear that the soundtrack is pretty terrible. Does anyone know if the PS3 version supports custom soundtracks? If not, I may swap it out for a 360 copy. Bad music can really put a damper on an otherwise enjoyable experience.

Nope change for the 360.

Edit: I enjoy the soundtrack but it isnt for everyone.

DR2K

Banned
Minus Chosen1s rap song the soundtrack is very good. I love the Sakura stage music, I also love it when the music kicks up when you hit a partition.

Squire

Banned

I actually like the OST when I didn't expect to at all. I have it on 360 though, so I've still been using custom soundtracks half the time.

I miss this stage so much.

lKHu6l.jpg

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Who's maining Sarah? Any tips? I really like her but she feels so stiff, like I'm fighting with a tree.

DR2K

Banned
Now that's just being contrarian.

There are some shitty tracks in there, sure, but I like the fact that it isn't techno rave music in every stage(aka DOA4, Tekken). It actually matches the stage. It kicks up when the stage kicks up. I'd pay $10 to get rid of Chosen1s song from the online menu and replace it with the DOA2U lobby theme(which DOA5 uses for stats section).

JordanN

Banned
In DOA5 you fight from one brown and grey environment to the next brown and grey environment and while there are a few exciting set pieces, none of them really match the over-the-top nature of the previous games.
What's up with this? Past DOA games were full of vibrant colors but this game, it's nothing but putrid dark brown. Are they trying to appeal to dudebro's like all the other current gen games? If so, lame.

Mesharey

Can someone re-quote the tag teams from a few pages back?
1. Sarah/Akira
2. Sarah/Pai
3. Pai/Akira
4. Rig/Bass
5. Hitomi/Lei fang
6. Tina/Sarah
7. Mila/Tina
8. Bass/Mila
9. Helena/Kokorro
10. Rig/Jann lee
11. Akira/Kokoro

How can I make my tag partner enters with an attack ? like DOA4 when you hold the d-pad and they enter with a punch or kick.

Astery

costumes ain't hard to unlock imo, the time required isn't that much really as well.
Now, 300 titles is one whole pain in the ass.
I'm stucked in Hayabusa's command training, it took me almost 30 minutes to pull off the 3 stage throw, and I have to do it again in story mode? god :[.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
1. Sarah/Akira
2. Sarah/Pai
3. Pai/Akira
4. Rig/Bass
5. Hitomi/Lei fang
6. Tina/Sarah
7. Mila/Tina
8. Bass/Mila
9. Helena/Kokorro
10. Rig/Jann lee
11. Akira/Kokoro

How can I make my tag partner enters with an attack ? like DOA4 when you hold the d-pad and they enter with a punch or kick.

In the middle of the combo hit R1(Ps3)or RB(360)

costumes ain't hard to unlock imo, the time required isn't that much really as well.
Now, 300 titles is one whole pain in the ass.
I'm stucked in Hayabusa's command training, it took me almost 30 minutes to pull off the 3 stage throw, and I have to do it again in story mode? god :[.

Do random 360 Movements with the stick. It works.

raven777

Is zooming in one character's face during powerblow random? Sometime I get it, but sometimes it never zooms in, even when I don't press anything to skip it.

KSai

Ask yourself how many of the following are left:
Stair danger zones?
Slope danger zones?
Short falls?
Mild Elevation changes?
Partitions (in the form of animals, fallen trees, tables, or walls)?
Mid-stage objects (poles, standing trees, lamps)?
Revolving doors?
Fruit?! Balloons?! Gongs?!

A lot of stage options are still there. It's just more divided up and not as flashy as say dinosaurs. I know the building that Brad and Eliot reside in has chairs and tables as well as breakable walls. I believe there is a lower area as well. The Bruce Lee Game of Death stage even has stairs. The top floor of the Bar has a bunch of pipes to fall through after being knocked off the stage like that old DOA 3 level where you fall out the window and go crashing through signs.

The MGS4 level has a partition, that barricade you knock your opponent over that has the tank roll over the second time you fly into it. Ends of the Earth also has that slope similar to the snow level from 2. The level gimmicks are there, you just have to play on each variation of the stage.

Squire

Banned
1. Sarah/Akira
2. Sarah/Pai
3. Pai/Akira
4. Rig/Bass
5. Hitomi/Lei fang
6. Tina/Sarah
7. Mila/Tina
8. Bass/Mila
9. Helena/Kokorro
10. Rig/Jann lee
11. Akira/Kokoro

Thanks a lot. Hmm. I wonder is Helena/Lei fang will work.

Mesharey

Is zooming in one character's face during powerblow random? Sometime I get it, but sometimes it never zooms in, even when I don't press anything to skip it.
If it's the finishing blow it will zoom.

Thanks Pupi but I mean when I switch to Ayane, for example, in tag I want her to enter and attacks the other character directly with a kick or a punch, in DOA4 if you press left and switch the character she will enter with a kick.

For titles, you can use another controller to do cliffhanger attack and throw for all characters to get more titles, also you can do power blow.
I'm at 270 and I'll do the rest of the characters' cliffhanger to unlock the last character.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Network lag-o-meter in training mode doesn't work. It doesn't even slow input speed down or I'm REALLY not experience input lag.

Okay, I have to rant just a bit on this game. First though, I want to point out I LOVED DOA4. It was the one game I wanted when the 360 came out and, boy, it delivered.

This game though....I'm having mixed feelings. Perhaps its nitpicking from being spoiled with VF5:FS over the past few months, but still...issues are issues.

When I loaded the game up for the first time and started playing a match, during the match the game would freeze for like a half to full second. I would expect this if I were playing online but it was during the arcade mode! It has continued to do this each time I have played it.

Why in the world do you have to watch the intro for the fighters before matches and not skip through them?

During the training mode, why did they take out the feature of hitting the "select" button to reset the fighters? If I feel like practicing my holds on other characters' attacks, I want to repeatedly do it, not watch their hold animation then have them continue to do down attacks. Yes, I know I could just set the command for the computer to "strike" then select which level of attack I want it to use, but that is only one instance of each attack and doesn't do much to help spot one of the many "high", "mid", or "low" attacks from an opponent in a real match.

In the arcade mode, why does the game have to save everytime the player loses? Granted, it is only about 5 seconds, but it is still a pain.

Again, maybe these are just nitpicks, but VF5:FS seemed to flow SO much better. I just cannot get into this game like I could get into DOA4 (and I put some major hours in DOA4). I doubt this makes a difference, but I have the PS3 version of the game.

DR2K

Banned
Okay, I have to rant just a bit on this game. First though, I want to point out I LOVED DOA4. It was the one game I wanted when the 360 came out and, boy, it delivered.

This game though....I'm having mixed feelings. Perhaps its nitpicking from being spoiled with VF5:FS over the past few months, but still...issues are issues.

When I loaded the game up for the first time and started playing a match, during the match the game would freeze for like a half to full second. I would expect this if I were playing online but it was during the arcade mode! It has continued to do this each time I have played it.

Why in the world do you have to watch the intro for the fighters before matches and not skip through them?

During the training mode, why did they take out the feature of hitting the "select" button to reset the fighters? If I feel like practicing my holds on other characters' attacks, I want to repeatedly do it, not watch their hold animation then have them continue to do down attacks. Yes, I know I could just set the command for the computer to "strike" then select which level of attack I want it to use, but that is only one instance of each attack and doesn't do much to help spot one of the many "high", "mid", or "low" attacks from an opponent in a real match.

In the arcade mode, why does the game have to save everytime the player loses? Granted, it is only about 5 seconds, but it is still a pain.

Again, maybe these are just nitpicks, but VF5:FS seemed to flow SO much better. I just cannot get into this game like I could get into DOA4 (and I put some major hours in DOA4). I doubt this makes a difference, but I have the PS3 version of the game.

Turn off throwdown, lag goes away.

Press select and r2 to reset in training mode.

You should install it's like 2 seconds to save.

There are a ton of changes that have changed the way the game is played, you just have to get used to them. This is not DOA4 or VF5.

Turn off throwdown, lag goes away.

Press select and r2 to reset in training mode.

You should install it's like 2 seconds to save.

There are a ton of changes that have changed the way the game is played, you just have to get used to them. This is not DOA4 or VF5.

Thanks!

But I don't have throwdown on.

Top Bottom