• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

A lot of the outfits are ones that are palette swaps. Some of the outfits were contingent upon people preordering from multiple places. So I'm not impressed by the variety of outfits or the lack thereof. Some things are puzzling. Why offer swimsuits and not have a beach stage? Especially since one was in DOA4? It just seems like they they didn't retain a lot of stages from DOA4 that should have made the cut. A lot of the outfits are color variants and it makes me think that a lot of the more interesting ones are being held back for DLC.

DOA1, DOA3 and DOAU also had beach stages!

<3 DOA3 Beach

On one hand, I desperately want DLC stages. But I don't think pointing out that the game has 15 stages or whatever tells the whole picture. For instance, the Home stage alone is comprised of 12 different stages. So I'd say more work goes into making DOA stages than anyone else's. But we know for sure we're getting DLC costumes and I hope stages are on that list, too.

On a side note, the official guide has an interview with Shimbori and he said that Ein, Leon, and Tengu were cut because they ran out of time and said that he'd like to include them in future iterations. He then said that Mila was originally going to be a boxer but he thought she wouldn't have a big enough arsenal so they made her full blown MMA. The last really interesting thing he said that he wants to do more with the VF characters, so take that how you will.

if only there was a way to add them after the game was released...

c'mon Shimbori!!!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
^Online seems fine from my experience, but I set it to only look for opponents nearby.

Popped in to see how this thread was doin. Saw no Brad Wong. Son I am disappoint.

There was a Brad Wong player in like the top 4 at a $7k release tourney a couple nights ago (stream was posted here). Seems like a cool character. (other 3 characters were Hitomi/Jann Lee, Bayman, and Hayabusa IIRC with Bayman winning the whole thing)

Esura

Banned
Whoo boy, I go from one day of straight wins to a day of almost straight losses, usually because I end up getting the lead and get too careless and arrogant and get messed up on some small stuff.

I need to work on my Kasumi game. Still working with Ayane too. I think I'll only stay focused on playing efficiently with these characters first. I should probably do the same in TTT2 in hindsight.

I like how people are spamming holds like crazy. It leaves you open heavy so I just throw all day. Even got a title for it.

suikodan

Argh, I wanted to avoid buying this game but I got a DOA rush. I thought that buying DOA Dimensions for 3DS would calm me but it didn't. Fortunately I had a 20$ rebate on DOA5.

My impressions so far
- Feels like DOA
- Little lag while playing solo is annoying (did install the game but didn't restart the PS3 so I'll try to notice if the lag is gone next time I play)
- Music is annoying, definitely the series' worst.
- Graphics are a mixed bag. Characters are nice but the stages are simple. I was amazed that the bricks in one stage don't crack as they did in DOA3 on... Xbox1.

I don't regret this impulse buy but I don't think I'll play it for long...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DOA1, DOA3 and DOAU also had beach stages!

<3 DOA3 Beach

I didn't really like DOA3's beach. IIRC you couldn't get into the water. DOA2U's was totally in the water with too few sandbars. I want a mix of the two...

if only there was a way to add them after the game was released...

c'mon Shimbori!!!

Tecmo can't let you do that Shimbori, not without charging for it. :(

I miss the days when DLC was able to be gotten for free. Killed Assassin's Creed's multiplayer community because of publisher greed. :(

Vlaphor

Got a quick question here about the unlockable swimsuits. From what I've heard, you have to play arcade on legend, plus while playing it you have to come across a character wearing the swimsuit (which has a 30% chance of happening). I played through Legend with Christie and beat a swimsuit wearing Tina at the end, but the swimsuit didn't unlock for Tina. Do I have to unlock the rest of Tina's outfits before the new one will show up?

TheSeks

I think you have to be playing as the character to get it.

And/or no continues.

kyo27

I didn't really like DOA3's beach. IIRC you couldn't get into the water. DOA2U's was totally in the water with too few sandbars. I want a mix of the two...

You could get in the water but it was only like ankle deep. Similar to the market in DOA4.

Mesharey

You can use any character to unlock it, but not sure if you have to finish it without continue, maybe you have to because I finished it 5 times with continues and no luck.

DR2K

Banned
Fuck these last 3 costumes.

Lisa is literally impossble to get, survival mode without tag, fuck that omission. The AI will always get that 1 win against you in 7th match. There is no 30% chance, you have a better chance of winning the lottery, fucking a supermodel, then getting struck by lighting 6 times before you unlock anything by chance.

Fuck you Team Ninja.

Sincerly yout biggest fan.

Squire

Banned
Hahahahaha!

Seriously, TN, sell unlock keys. I don't care if they're $2.99 per, just do it. Nobody wants to deal with this shit.

TheSeks

I'm sure they'll have an "unlock all outfit" DLC thing for $.99-$9.99 and like a sucker I'll totally buy it. ;___;

DR2K

Banned
I'm sure they'll have an "unlock all outfit" DLC thing for $.99-$9.99 and like a sucker I'll totally buy it. ;___;

Eh, what they need to do is have the content available without dealing with an AI that reads your input. It literally reads your move at the very last frame, this way it can guarantee an attack on you if you try and throw it.

A lot of stage options are still there. It's just more divided up and not as flashy as say dinosaurs. I know the building that Brad and Eliot reside in has chairs and tables as well as breakable walls. I believe there is a lower area as well. The Bruce Lee Game of Death stage even has stairs. The top floor of the Bar has a bunch of pipes to fall through after being knocked off the stage like that old DOA 3 level where you fall out the window and go crashing through signs.

The MGS4 level has a partition, that barricade you knock your opponent over that has the tank roll over the second time you fly into it. Ends of the Earth also has that slope similar to the snow level from 2. The level gimmicks are there, you just have to play on each variation of the stage.
The chairs and tables you refer to on the home stage either have no gameplay effect or are on near the walls. The partition on the warzone stage is a one use item as is the one on the second level of the ice stage (believe me, I'm familiar with the stages). And I said "how many are left?" because the number has been drastically reduced.

One stage with stairs which you can't access directly or land special throws.
No slopes that allow you to land special throws.
The only mid stage objects are the lamps in the sanctuary stage.

Esura

Banned
I'm freaking loving playing this game online more than any other game right now. It's weird, its not as polished as TTT2 online and lacks a WTF-like site but, its just fun. I got like five people adding me to their friend list on Ranked now.

I'll probably give online a try after work tomorrow. I need to put in some more time in training mode especially after finding out that I like Mila so much. I have to get back into my previous mains too.

KSai

Anyone? Im looking for an excuse to buy this game.

Lag is all over the place. I just had four good matches with a Japanese player, and then three matches with an American player whose connection conked out on the last match. It's not consistent.

Brad Wong is annoying...
I can't counter him, Helena, or Kokoro. It's a tough fight when I have to force myself to not hold.

No slopes that allow you to land special throws.
I'm going to miss body surfing with Zack too. That sucks.

I have one major issue with the game. I don't know how to clear titles. I used to just have "I love DOA," but then I hit the second title as "Clowning Around." I want to go back to just using "I love DOA."

I have one major issue with the game. I don't know how to clear titles. I used to just have "I love DOA," but then I hit the second title as "Clowning Around." I want to go back to just using "I love DOA."
Extras -> Mission

You change the titles in there.

EDIT: I misread your post but I gotcha covered below.

Fuck these last 3 costumes.

Lisa is literally impossble to get, survival mode without tag, fuck that omission. The AI will always get that 1 win against you in 7th match. There is no 30% chance, you have a better chance of winning the lottery, fucking a supermodel, then getting struck by lighting 6 times before you unlock anything by chance.

Fuck you Team Ninja.

Sincerly yout biggest fan.

Shit, didn't think unlocking costumes would be a pain in the ass. All the other trophies seem so easy.

Dantis

So my copy is out for delivery, but nobody is going to be in between 11 and 1, and you just know that's when it's going to arrive.

So that's frigging great. :(

Alastor Mused

Neo Member
Any Bayman players? I can't pull off his Break Shot in Command. I know its Hold 3 Kick but is there a trick to the timing or something? Im stumped.

Top Bottom