• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

AdamMPSP

Played a bunch last night as Tina, who I used to stay away from because I always thought of her as a grappler. She seems faster now, though, or maybe that's just my imagination. I thought I was getting pretty good, then I did some random lobby matches and got destroyed.

I kind of like how the achievements are setup. There are all the easy ones that encourage you to explore the modes. I've only had the game for a couple days but I already feel like I understand all that it has to offer, thanks to getting those easy cheevos.

Don't know if it's already posted. But does anyone has the problem that the game does not save the language setting when changed to Japanese?
Although it says that it does so, every time when I start up the game they are back to English... weird!

Skilletor

Don't know if it's already posted. But does anyone has the problem that the game does not save the language setting when changed to Japanese?
Although it says that it does so, every time when I start up the game they are back to English... weird!

This is a known glitch. There's also a problem with the sidestep settings randomly changing. I don't know if it does in vs. mode, but it seems to be random in story mode.

Been hearing lots of reports on that. Most likely a bug.

G-Fex

Seriously considering picking this up now, I have and love DOA: Dimensions for 3DS and the last DOA game I played was DOA 3.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

It's a known bug. Same for the game not saving titles. Don't bother with EITHER right now.

Shadybiz

Timezone?
I'm from EU :D

I have the PS3 version btw. Didn't know the install is optional (improved loading times?)
So, the netcode is ok I guess. If you fight against someone with a bad connection (red symbol) you will have lags. Otherwise it runs great.
Didn't touch the story mode yet.
Had one ranked match....and won...lol I'm a total beginner

Just missed you; had to eat lunch real quick. I am on now though, probably for the next hour or so.

zlatko

Banned
Played a lot more last night. Trying to get into Mila as my main, but I'm finding a lot of her follow up throw locks when you ground an opponent are pointless/easy for players to escape. Still a really fun character all around with good tools though.

Online was about 80% good matches, and 20% laggy ones. Had the game freeze up on me last night twice too once because someone quit online and it stayed frozen, one other time just at a menu online for some reason.

My biggest issue on getting decent at the game right now is that I completely lose to people who are god like at holds. I fought several people last night who just knew everytime and whatever string I picked, when and which hold to use to get out of it. I've basically stopped ever doing a wake up kick of any kind due to this too.

Can anyone tell me if we can do anything with the photos we create/save on Xbox 360, or is it like only PS3 could make them into XMB wallpaper?

wtf I just beat Arcade on all difficulties and I got the Arcade master title but for some reason the arcade master trophy didn't unlock .............wtfffffffff

G-Fex

wow oh wow this game looks amazing, I don't know why I haven't looked up this thread or any media before.

I'm sold on it.

zlatko

Banned
wow oh wow this game looks amazing, I don't know why I haven't looked up this thread or any media before.

I'm sold on it.

It's definitely a looker and fun to play. Be aware that the biggest problem this game does run into is that net code can be spotty. When it lags, it really is a slideshow, but when it runs fine it's smooth as it needs to be to do all your combos, etc.

There's one thing in one stage...that looks....well...ugly...so...what's going on wih the fire? I mean what is this? This doesn't even look like fire. I know you shouldn't say that but.....PS2 ...
Other than that it's one of the best looking games this gen.

wtf I just beat Arcade on all difficulties and I got the Arcade master title but for some reason the arcade master trophy didn't unlock .............wtfffffffff

I did the same thing last night. Have you beaten all of Arcade mode with Tag Matches or just Solo Matches? I'm gonna tackle Tag Matches this weekend. I'm assuming the achievement/trophy will unlock after that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Can you play this with tag in any mode, single player, and online? Or are there weird limitations like DoA Dimensions on 3DS?

Galdelico

Damn Amazon... You lied to me: yesterday you said my DoA was 'shipping' but today I got nothing. T_T

My weekend, thanks to you:

tumblr_m6rl9nXf8V1rry2qj.jpg

This is a known glitch. There's also a problem with the sidestep settings randomly changing. I don't know if it does in vs. mode, but it seems to be random in story mode.
It happened to me once randomly in an online match, after I just finished a match with the 2_8P+K+H method.

Played a lot more last night. Trying to get into Mila as my main, but I'm finding a lot of her follow up throw locks when you ground an opponent are pointless/easy for players to escape. Still a really fun character all around with good tools though.?
They're inescapable if you learn the timing.

zlatko

Banned
Damn Amazon... You lied to me: yesterday you said my DoA was 'shipping' but today I got nothing. T_T

My weekend, thanks to you:

tumblr_m6rl9nXf8V1rry2qj.jpg

Buy it from wal-mart/target. When Amazon copy shows up, take that copy with the receipt from your wal/target copy, and go get a full refund.

Weekend of fun incoming.

G-Fex

It's definitely a looker and fun to play. Be aware that the biggest problem this game does run into is that net code can be spotty. When it lags, it really is a slideshow, but when it runs fine it's smooth as it needs to be to do all your combos, etc.

Ah I see.

Watching this stream right now, it looks like it runs fine.

This guy is a fucking beast with Helena.

Which reminds me I used to be a beast with her too back in DOA3

http://www.twitch.tv/peacefuljay

zlatko

Banned
Ah I see.

Watching this stream right now, it looks like it runs fine.

This guy is a fucking beast with Helena.

Which reminds me I used to be a beast with her too back in DOA3

http://www.twitch.tv/peacefuljay

Yeah, I'm just echoing what the few of us here on GAF have said about the net code who have it, and also based off my own experiences.

Helena is the 1 character who is giving me massive troubles online when I play. I swear she has no damn hit box when I try to attack her. ; ;

G-Fex

Yeah, I'm just echoing what the few of us here on GAF have said about the net code who have it, and also based off my own experiences.

Helena is the 1 character who is giving me massive troubles online when I play. I swear she has no damn hit box when I try to attack her. ; ;

lol.

Getting it tomorrow for 360, i'm game to play it tomorrow morning.

Pretty much. I can't pull off my combos with Ayane when it lags. So most of the time, I just go with Hitomi.

By the way, anyone want to sign up for the tournament tomorrow? 2 people had to dropped due to certain circumstances. Can't really have a tourney with only 4 people.

OSHAN

Buy it from wal-mart/target. When Amazon copy shows up, take that copy with the receipt from your wal/target copy, and go get a full refund.

Weekend of fun incoming.

This.

Though I did that once with Batman Lego and the UPC was different on the Amazon copy. First time it has happened.

It's either your connection (maybe your nat type set to strict?) or a bad connection from the other player.

Had 50 !!! Online matches today, maybe 8 matches with lag

Don't think its my connection, had about 90 matches today(got the rival rampage trophy lol). Even offline the game sometimes freezes for a second.

sublimit

Banned
2 questions guys:

1)I've never played a DOA game before but i'm a Tekken veteran since T3 (i hated T6 though).Is this game similar to the fighting style of the Tekken series?The gameplay i've seen so far looks kinda similar IMO..

2)How's the online matchmaking compared to Tekken 6?I thought it was awful in T6.

zlatko

Banned
The one thing I want to praise this game for that other games within the genre should take note is how they did the online lobby system. So many good options, can swap them on the fly, the ability to go in as just a spectator and switch to a fighter at any point, and the other plethora of options within is fantastic and easy to access.

Big ups to that.

ugghh called ebgames customer service and they told me they didn't get any backup codes from the manufacturer. I got to wait a couple more days to wait for my pre order bonus.

zlatko

Banned
2 questions guys:

1)I've never played a DOA game before but i'm a Tekken veteran since T3 (i hated T6 though).Is this game similar to the fighting style of the Tekken series?The gameplay i've seen so far looks kinda similar IMO..

2)How's the online matchmaking compared to Tekken 6?I thought it was awful in T6.

It's really not that similar to Tekken imo. I am currently playing TTT2 too, and both are very different beasts.

A great comparison is Virtua Fighter, hence why two VF characters are within the roster for DOA5. You have 3 buttons, and super easy juggle combos.

In a lot of ways this game is the SF3 of 3D fighters. Holds I feel are like parries from Third Strike. (Totally my opinion, I doubt many would agree with this statement)

It's much simpler to get into than Tekken as well, but there are things here that mastering I feel may be on par with Tekken. The hold system is one thing that takes a lot of practice and reactions to get down pat to make great use of.

As for matchmaking---when picking ranked for myself and even leaving it to just "any" for all options, it can take a good long while to find matches. Luckily, there is another matchmaking option called Simple Match, where when the match is over, you can just do character select or straight rematch the person. This is one of my favorite features. I don't have to worry about virtual internet points, and can finally keep rematching someone who is on par with my skill level without having to friend list them and make private lobbies.

sublimit

Banned
It's really not that similar to Tekken imo. I am currently playing TTT2 too, and both are very different beasts.

A great comparison is Virtua Fighter, hence why two VF characters are within the roster for DOA5. You have 3 buttons, and super easy juggle combos.

In a lot of ways this game is the SF3 of 3D fighters. Holds I feel are like parries from Third Strike. (Totally my opinion, I doubt many would agree with this statement)

It's much simpler to get into than Tekken as well, but there are things here that mastering I feel may be on par with Tekken. The hold system is one thing that takes a lot of practice and reactions to get down pat to make great use of.

Ah thanks man.It sounds good.

As for matchmaking---when picking ranked for myself and even leaving it to just "any" for all options, it can take a good long while to find matches. Luckily, there is another matchmaking option called Simple Match, where when the match is over, you can just do character select or straight rematch the person. This is one of my favorite features. I don't have to worry about virtual internet points, and can finally keep rematching someone who is on par with my skill level without having to friend list them and make private lobbies.

So can you make a room and be able to see the other players playing while you wait your turn?
Also is it possible to kick someone out of your room?

Fruitster

Been playing this today for the first time - the character models are truly fantastic. Fun game and it feels a return to form after DOA4.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I'm so behind. I haven't had time to play much due to 2 jobs, but this Saturday I'll put a bunch of time in. I'm afraid that I'll get dominated if I go online now.

AdamMPSP

Did anyone pick up the strategy guide? I'm into the game right now in a way I haven't been for a while, and although I'm traditionally anti-guides, I'm kind of thinking about picking it up so I have something DOA5 to look at when I'm not actually playing DOA5. Thoughts?

Skilletor

Did anyone pick up the strategy guide? I'm into the game right now in a way I haven't been for a while, and although I'm traditionally anti-guides, I'm kind of thinking about picking it up so I have something DOA5 to look at when I'm not actually playing DOA5. Thoughts?

It's a great guide with color coded frame data (red = unsafe, green = safe, yellow = guard crush). Lots of character and stage information.

I highly recommend it.

It's a great guide with color coded frame data (red = unsafe, green = safe, yellow = guard crush). Lots of character and stage information.

I highly recommend it.

I never really understood the frame data stuff does it explain it all from the basics in the guide or does it assume the people reading it know all about it?

Top Bottom