• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

DR2K

Banned
It'll probably tank in all honesty. Their goal is 1m units sold world wide though. That seems reachable. But I don't they'll be close to that even after only s month.

They've already shipped more copies than NG3, lol.

Eh they've shipped a million and it'll most likely sell through that via holiday.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It'll probably tank in all honesty. Their goal is 1m units sold world wide though. That seems reachable. But I don't they'll be close to that even after only s month.

We'll see lately some companies are happy doing 200k on the first week and maybe reach 500k on the first month. I do hope DOA ends up reaching their goal in the first 3 months.

Eh they've shipped a million and it'll most likely sell through that via holiday.

I think they said they would like the game to sell 1 million. Did they shipped already 1 million copies? o_O

KSai

The road to glory is fraught with peril. After a long day of losses and making friends with a fellow Zack Beamer, I made it to C- rank. Kokoro is so damn aggressive, she's racking up a lot of points for me.

Just started playing today (360 version).

Man, I suck. Getting used to everything, but still trying to figure out hold timing. My only real DOA experience was Dimensions.

You're going to get rocked. Good luck with your training.

Mesharey

I unlocked
Alpha-152
FINALLY ! :D
Also, I can confirm you don't need all titles to unlock the trophy/achievement, just unlock that character.

raven777

For Japan sales we will have to wait and see until next week, but according to some major shops its mixed results. In some shops its sold out, while in other shops its not selling too well. It has a gundam game going against, so its not going to be top seller this week.

Squire

Banned

I highly doubt that, but I suppose we'll see. I expect the price to drop in a sale or two pretty quickly.

I think they said they would like the game to sell 1 million. Did they shipped already 1 million copies? o_O

Yeah, 1m is their ultimate sales target. No way they'd ship out that many copies to start,

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/10/tecmo-koei-aims-to-sell-a-million-copies-of-dead-or-alive-5/

Pachinko

1 million sales target eh ? so for tecmo koei that likely implies profitable as well, like say a 100% return on investment. 35 million in revenue (taking away retail and manufacturing costs) then ... minus what I'm guessing was a 2 year development cycle with a staff of roughly 50 people, japanese salary is lower the american salary for game development, perhaps 50,000 a year for each staffer, that implies 100K multiplied by 50 which would end up with a 5 million $ development budget and I'd wager 2-3 million spent promoting the game ... maybe even an extra million spent because it was ported from ps3 to 360. So let's call it at a 10 million dollar total budget.

So yeah I could see 1 million being an internal goal for huge profitability , especially when the enhanced wii U version comes out 6 months from now :p. Really though, if they could even sell 300,000 worldwide across both platforms they'd probably be breaking even on this game. None of the dead or alives were really high budget titles but I imagine doa4 sold well over a million since release and it was a much smaller user base then. Even doa3 sold over a million. I seem to recall that doa ultimate did NOT sell to that level but none of them compare to the success of DOA2's non ultimate versions- the original US dreamcast port, the later limited japanese edition as well as the near launch japan ps2 version and finally the US release of DOA2 hardcore. It must have sold north of 3 million copies if you add all of those up.

Finally managed to get to the store and pick up my collectors edition. I also started 2 weeks annual leave today, so I may actually be able to put some time into one of my new games for once lol -.-(Tekken tag, im looking at you)

Any Aussies that wanna beat up a newb, add me on 360 - DreWz12000

Squire

Banned
1 million sales target eh ? so for tecmo koei that likely implies profitable as well, like say a 100% return on investment. 35 million in revenue (taking away retail and manufacturing costs) then ... minus what I'm guessing was a 2 year development cycle with a staff of roughly 50 people, japanese salary is lower the american salary for game development, perhaps 50,000 a year for each staffer, that implies 100K multiplied by 50 which would end up with a 5 million $ development budget and I'd wager 2-3 million spent promoting the game ... maybe even an extra million spent because it was ported from ps3 to 360. So let's call it at a 10 million dollar total budget.

So yeah I could see 1 million being an internal goal for huge profitability , especially when the enhanced wii U version comes out 6 months from now :p. Really though, if they could even sell 300,000 worldwide across both platforms they'd probably be breaking even on this game. None of the dead or alives were really high budget titles but I imagine doa4 sold well over a million since release and it was a much smaller user base then. Even doa3 sold over a million. I seem to recall that doa ultimate did NOT sell to that level but none of them compare to the success of DOA2's non ultimate versions- the original US dreamcast port, the later limited japanese edition as well as the near launch japan ps2 version and finally the US release of DOA2 hardcore. It must have sold north of 3 million copies if you add all of those up.

I think there's a multitude of reasons that'd keep it from hitting 1m, but I agree with you're assessment. They could totally hit 300k.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I realized my High Holds and mid kicks hold needed some more practice. Gotta love the training mode. Save some combos from one of those characters with nice highs and mids and practice away.

Definitely getting better with the timing and soon will take it out with some of my friends.

DonMigs85

I'm not terribly good at fighters, but I wanted a new one since the last 3D fighter I ever bought was Soul Calibur 4, so I just got this today. Also loved Hitomi ever since DOA3 came out.
Might get Tekken Tag 2 for Wii U instead somewhere down the road.

bon

Ah okay. I wasn't sure if difficulty or mode would effect what costumes unlock. I'm trying to learn how to use her in this game, so It'd be disappointing if she got short-changed on outfits.

FroJay

Banned
Bringing my Christie to the online arena tomorrow, played some offline/arcade mode this evening after arriving home from a movie. I was thinking DOA5 was going to be a letdown after Tekken Tag 2, but it seems pretty smooth gameplay wise so far. Hopefully the online is a good experience tomorrow.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Got my CE from Amazon UK today. Boy that thing is huge.
After what I've read here, I'm not really sure if I should be glad that there's a soundtrack CD included.
Looking forward to play later on.

Dantis

Got my CE from Amazon UK today. Boy that thing is huge.
After what I've read here, I'm not really sure if I should be glad that there's a soundtrack CD included.
Looking forward to play later on.

The three vocal tracks that were written for it are really good (False Fate, Let's Get It and I'm A Fighter). Beyond that... Well, the main theme is good. The rest is mediocre.

DR2K

Banned
The three vocal tracks that were written for it are really good (False Fate, Let's Get It and I'm A Fighter). Beyond that... Well, the main theme is good. The rest is mediocre.

I love the ending theme. Gosh darn Chosen1 theme being online, hate it.

ok so i spent 4 hours on the game and here is my review of the game.

- not worth 60$

the game has technical issues. i mean. is that a 30 fps ?

why its as smooth as DOA4 ? hell even the graphics are not impressive at all outside of the character models. specially the stage @ the jungle. for a second i thought its an Xbox 1 game.

this game went against Tekken Tag 2. yet its not as nice in terms of graphics, numbers of players etc. and not even as smooth as TTT 2.

i am fan of both games but if i have to pick one. DOA5 isnt it. heck i would pick DOA 4.5 over this

- not worth 60$

why its as smooth as DOA4 ? hell even the graphics are not impressive at all outside of the character models. specially the stage @ the jungle. for a second i thought its an Xbox 1 game.

this game went against Tekken Tag 2. yet its not as nice in terms of graphics, numbers of players etc. and not even as smooth as TTT 2.

i am fan of both games but if i have to pick one. DOA5 isnt it. heck i would pick DOA 4.5 over this

What???
This is not true

- not worth 60$

Agree with technical issues. But graphics not impressive? They're great. What do you mean number of players? Smaller userbase?

Top Bottom