• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Agree with technical issues. But graphics not impressive? They're great. What do you mean number of players? Smaller userbase?

I think he means number of playable characters. Actually, I am glad that it has less characters than Tekken Tag 2. Makes it easier to learn and fight against everyone. Yes, it does have technical issues, but the game is excellent imo,

When I first loaded it up it ran like shit, restarted after install and it ran beautifully. Best looking fighter this gen.

There are still many people who don't install the game. You notice it when the loading times are long online.

@Rhazer: Agreed, TTT2 just has the most content in a fighter. I'm okay with DOA5 list though. I hope they patch in custom soundtracks for ps3 folks.

Agree with technical issues. But graphics not impressive? They're great. What do you mean number of players? Smaller userbase?

year. the numbers of players are few.. which is to be expected i guess, not complaining.

This game is smooth....like 60 fps smooth
It looks fantastic
There are lots ofp layers online at the moment

60fps, full HD, highest quality character models this gen, etc. . . some levels do look like shit up close though.

can't be. i mean its really not as smooth as DOA4. if DOA4 is 60fps. then not sure what is this.

and highest quality character models ? i don't think so, the bodies of TTT look better than DOA5, but the faces / Hair in DOA is better than tekken.

and yes this is what i mean when graphics arent that great. some of the levels really look like shit.

oh and i am running the game from HDD

DR2K

Banned
year. the numbers of players are few.. which is to be expected i guess not complaining.

can't be. i mean its really not as smooth as DOA4. if that is 60fps. then not sure what is this.

and highest quality character models ? i don't think so, the bodies of TTT look better DOA5, but the faces / Hair in DOA is better than tekken.

and yes this is what i mean when graphics arent that great. some of the levels really look like shit.

oh and i am running the game from HDD

It's 60fps, turn off throwdowns, lol

Nah not really.

I think they said they would like the game to sell 1 million. Did they shipped already 1 million copies? o_O
It's nice to see that most fighting devs/pubs have reasonable estimates. It's better for the long term health of the game and genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exsIdD6jCHU

Test w/ my hauppage. Looks pretty good. :)
Very very nice

I've been wanting to buy one of these for a while, but I also want something that can record footage on my laptop as well. Would you happen to know anything about a machine or software that can do that for the PC? Recording footage for GG, BB and SG would be awesome, but I'd also like to have the ability to record VSav footage.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Does Arcade Mode not have a boss fight? I was kinda surprised when it just said "you beat Arcade Mode" or something like that.
Also, it seems it's not really a series of fights that get more and more difficult, but just a number of fights on the same level. Took me three tries to win the first fight, had no problem with most of the others.

Dantis

Does Arcade Mode not have a boss fight? I was kinda surprised when it just said "you beat Arcade Mode" or something like that.
Also, it seems it's not really a series of fights that get more and more difficult, but just a number of fights on the same level. Took me three tries to win the first fight, had no problem with most of the others.

They definitely get harder. You'll notice it on the higher difficulties.

And no, no boss. On the one hand, it feels like there's no conclusion to arcade mode, on the other hand, the boss in story mode is pretty unfair, and on Legendary would be mode-destroying.

You're talking out of your ass, ll_l_x_l_ll.

He very much is. Just ignore him.

Skilletor

It's nice to see that most fighting devs/pubs have reasonable estimates. It's better for the long term health of the game and genre.

Very very nice

I've been wanting to buy one of these for a while, but I also want something that can record footage on my laptop as well. Would you happen to know anything about a machine or software that can do that for the PC? Recording footage for GG, BB and SG would be awesome, but I'd also like to have the ability to record VSav footage.

I asked a friend the same thing before I bought this. He recommended Xsplit for the PC. I know you an do it with fraps, but the file sizes get huge. I'm new to all of this, so not really sure what to recommend. :/

Having a gathering today. Going to try and upload DoA, P4A, and TTT2 footage this weekend.

jediyoshi

For a laptop you'd need an external hardware solution to actually handle the capturing, so something like the elgato game capture or hauppauge hd pvr would work.

Mangotron

Does anyone know what the full list of costumes/how to unlock them yet? I think I got all of Kasumi's minus the bikini, but I'm interested in some of the other characters.

Mesharey

Does anyone know what the full list of costumes/how to unlock them yet? I think I got all of Kasumi's minus the bikini, but I'm interested in some of the other characters.
Kasumi 6
Ayane 6
Helena 5
Hitomi 6
Mila 6
Rig 4
LeiFang 8
Jann Lee 5
Alpha 3
Sarah 2
Pai 2
Hayabusa 4
Hayate 4
Bayman 5
Eliot 5
Brad 5
Akira 2
Gen Fu 2
Zack 4
Bass 4
Tina 7
Christie 6 
Kokoro 6 
Lisa 7

To unlock the costumes play survive, time attack, or arcade but the same the same difficulty once.

What determines the after fight winning animation? Does it have anything to do with button presses? Sometimes I get different ones and sometimes I don't.

I asked a friend the same thing before I bought this. He recommended Xsplit for the PC. I know you an do it with fraps, but the file sizes get huge. I'm new to all of this, so not really sure what to recommend. :/

Having a gathering today. Going to try and upload DoA, P4A, and TTT2 footage this weekend.
I think the file size restraint shouldn't be too huge(pun not intended) an issue with fighters. Fifteen minutes of Skullgirls is quite a few matches. I pity the fool who tries FRAPS with KOF though lol.
For a laptop you'd need an external hardware solution to actually handle the capturing, so something like the elgato game capture or hauppauge hd pvr would work.
Yeah, these would be awesome for recording console footage, but I'm primarily looking for something that can record console and PC footage. Xsplit seems like it would be a good PC solution so I wouldn't mind using two different things. That elgato device looks like a sleek solution.

Edit: Oh damn they are xbox huge file sizes lol.

Mesharey

What determines the after fight winning animation? Does it have anything to do with button presses? Sometimes I get different ones and sometimes I don't.
Most of the time it's random, some characters have special winning animation if you have a perfect win.
Also, some characters have a different winning animation if they win against certain characters, for example, if Ayane wins against Hayabusa or Hayate.

raven777

1348937531-doa5.jpg

from FSD. is this the DLC?

I just got the game today and played a huge set. It's enjoyable but as somebody who mained Ein and used Lisa as a secondary the roster/balance changes they've made kind of suck. Why they nerfed one of a low tiered character's best attacks whilst giving he nothing but a useless run stance I'll never know. Might switch to one of the VF characters, my friend was using Sarah and she seems to have some ridiculous pokes.

Also classic Tina should have brown hair...

jediyoshi

Yeah, these would be awesome for recording console footage, but I'm primarily looking for something that can record console and PC footage. Xsplit seems like it would be a good PC solution so I wouldn't mind using two different things. That elgato device looks like a sleek solution.

What's the distinction? They would do both, the devices won't differentiate between what's plugged into them, they just look at the video feed. XSplit is a bit overkill if you're only planning on recording, there's free alternatives like Dxtory.

Haliela

I just came in here to say this...

Ayane is such a brat. She is a brat in the most adorable way possible. That taunt she does where she flips her hair and snubs her opponent... <3

That is all.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Just unlocked Christie's rare costume by spamming Hayabusa's P+K+left (L2 or LT and 4) without continue, I'm not even good by using him.

We can unlock them through tag? May go that route and see how it goes. These legendary CPUs are driving me up the wall. :lol

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I just came in here to say this...

Ayane is such a brat. She is a brat in the most adorable way possible. That taunt she does where she flips her hair and snubs her opponent... <3

That is all.

I whip my hair back and forth song on the background for Ayane lol

We can unlock them through tag? May go that route and see how it goes. These legendary CPUs are driving me up the wall. :lol
Nope just Solo. Use Hayabusa and spam <- Punch+Kick

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
60fps, full HD, highest quality character models this gen, etc. . . some levels do look like shit up close though.
It does look pretty good, but I'd argue that Soul Calibur V actually looks quite a bit better in motion. Better skin shaders, more detailed environments (though more limited as well), camera motion blur, god rays, great depth of field and better lighting.

DOA5 looks great in its own right but it doesn't strike me in the same way as SC5. It's one of the best looking fighters this gen, however. I just wish they had used some FXAA or something else to clean up the image a bit.

Now, if they could have implemented that killer motion blur technique from Tekken 6 and Tag 2 THAT could have pushed things in its favor. Absolutely amazing effect.

kuroshiki

It does look pretty good, but I'd argue that Soul Calibur V actually looks quite a bit better in motion. Better skin shaders, more detailed environments (though more limited as well), camera motion blur, god rays, great depth of field and better lighting.

DOA5 looks great in its own right but it doesn't strike me in the same way as SC5. It's one of the best looking fighters this gen, however. I just wish they had used some FXAA or something else to clean up the image a bit.

Now, if they could have implemented that killer motion blur technique from Tekken 6 and Tag 2 THAT could have pushed things in its favor. Absolutely amazing effect.

Soul Calibur's 3D female modeling (especially face) was utterly shitty besides the final boss (cough...) so DOA5 wins hands down for me.

Seriously what's up with namco's modelers? They can't translate 2D art to 3D well at all.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Starting to think there's something wrong with my connection. Lagging in every match. Could the beta dashboard be the cause? Because I get full bars on my wireless, it's only 10 meters away, and marketplace downloads are also taking a lot longer (download should be 2MB down and 600KB up) .

Dantis

SC's skin shader is a lot worse.

Also, DOA5 has 'God rays' (Where did this term come from? It's volumetric lighting :/) as well.

Top Bottom