• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

zlatko

Banned
Ah thanks man.It sounds good.

So can you make a room and be able to see the other players playing while you wait your turn?
Also is it possible to kick someone out of your room?

When creating a private match lobby you can have up to 16 players. Anyone in the room, yourself included, can just remain a spectator as long as you like, and at any point switch to being a fighter and get put into the rotation for matches. You can kick people out of your room as host.

sublimit

Banned
When creating a private match lobby you can have up to 16 players. Anyone in the room, yourself included, can just remain a spectator as long as you like, and at any point switch to being a fighter and get put into the rotation for matches. You can kick people out of your room as host.

Excellent! I wish T6 was like that...
I think DOA5 will be my first game in the series.

zlatko

Banned
Excellent! I wish T6 was like that...
I think DOA5 will be my first game in the series.

Just keep in mind also that online net code can, and has been, ass when it is running like ass. The game runs smooth for me 80-90% of the time and has no hiccups, but if it is that 10-20% of fuck up time, then it runs like total dog shit.

zlatko

Banned
Just finished Story Mode. I feel people have been way too harsh on it. As a fan of the series, I absolutely loved it.

I don't know what to expect for the story mode when compared to past entries. I just know when you reach the Kokoro chapter,
and the explosion happens behind her, then her reaction which is meant to be fear is not expressed at all in her face, and has like a 10 second delay to her ducking in fear, then just randomly fights what's her tits for no real reason in the moment...well that's when I realized this story mode is not for me.

So only the PS3 version has this "throwdown lag"? I'm on 360 and never experienced any lag or slowdown or pauses whatsoever when receiving a throwdown invite.

zlatko

Banned
So only the PS3 version has this "throwdown lag"? I'm on 360 and never experienced any lag or slowdown or pauses whatsoever when receiving a throwdown invite.

I don't think I have either when in training. I'll pay closer attention tonight for it to see if it's there.

So what are peoples thoughts on Rig? I want to learn him, but find him more confusing than Mila.

Edit: Trying to make myself a cool Rig avatar. Here's two free Mila ones if anyone wants them.

mila2-1.jpg

mila-1.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
For those with the strategy guide: does it tell you which moves transfer into stances? I'll definitely pick it up if it does.

Man, I've tried playing fighting games for 15 years, and this is the first time where I feel like I have a chance at not being garbage.

Dantis

One negative thing I'll agree with is that a lot of the floor textures are pretty bad. Really jarring when everything else looks so good.

Eiji

Just finished Story Mode. I feel people have been way too harsh on it. As a fan of the series, I absolutely loved it.

Kokoro beating
Akira like it's nothing? Don't think so.

One negative thing I'll agree with is that a lot of the floor textures are pretty bad. Really jarring when everything else looks so good.

Yeah, even DOA2 (1999) and TTT1 (2000) have better floor textures.

zlatko

Banned
Kokoro beating
Akira like it's nothing? Don't think so.

Yeah, even DOA2 (1999) and TTT1 (2000) have better floor textures.

Why the fuck do they even fight?!!!?!? He just shows up does like 30 seconds of air gang banging, then just wants to throw down. Da fuck!?

LowParry

Why the fuck do they even fight?!!!?!? He just shows up does like 30 seconds of air gang banging, then just wants to throw down. Da fuck!?

Maybe it's the Ryu effect of wanting to challenge himself. But I have no idea what Akira's background is other than just being a bamf.

lol @ the fans popping when Tina breaks kayfabe in Story mode.

Default rules sohuld be 3 rounds w/ largest health. Or if I created a custom lobby, then it should remember my set up.

Also, this game never remembers that I want Japanese voices, not English, it gets annoying.

there's a reason why "normal health" is called "normal health"

zlatko

Banned
So I'm trying to look at various sites mentioned in the OP to find some Rig combos, but I'm falling short.

For anyone who mains him, do you have any info about his move set you want to share? Good pokes? Good mix up strings? How to start a punish?

Ooooh I love this game. It's so fluid, the visuals are great. It's fun to play and that's what matters. This is the first BeU i really like since DOA 4.
I don't know what went wrong with Street Fighter but it wa my favorite Game on the SNES

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So I'm trying to look at various sites mentioned in the OP to find some Rig combos, but I'm falling short.

For anyone who mains him, do you have any info about his move set you want to share? Good pokes? Good mix up strings? How to start a punish?

At the moment the game guide has all that info and soon people will start posting that info online so just give it a bit of time. :p

If you don't wanna wait maybe get the guide?

Vossler

Maybe it's just me being a long time player.....but I am still frustrated by how certain moves overwrite other ones. For example, my sis always plays as Kasumi, and I play as Ryu. There are still moves that she shouldn't be able to hit me after she pulls a combo that she still does, and this stems all the way from the Dreamcast days. Frustrates me to no end. Usually these moves come after I've blocked a 6 hit combo, then I attack, but no, one button press and I'm int'ed. THIS IS WHILE HER CHAR IS STILL ON COOLDOWN FROM THE COMBO! Drives me nuts.....

Sorry for the vent, but they still haven't addressed it after 12ish years. Other than that, games a blast, lol.

KSai

I'm so behind. I haven't had time to play much due to 2 jobs, but this Saturday I'll put a bunch of time in. I'm afraid that I'll get dominated if I go online now.

Ffffff... I like how I'm in the top 100 in Ranked just because I got the game on Day 1. But I have two presentations to work on right now. If I get them done today I'll have all weekend to play. Curse you grad school.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Maybe it's just me being a long time player.....but I am still frustrated by how certain moves overwrite other ones. For example, my sis always plays as Kasumi, and I play as Ryu. There are still moves that she shouldn't be able to hit me after she pulls a combo that she still does, and this stems all the way from the Dreamcast days. Frustrates me to no end. Usually these moves come after I've blocked a 6 hit combo, then I attack, but no, one button press and I'm int'ed. THIS IS WHILE HER CHAR IS STILL ON COOLDOWN FROM THE COMBO! Drives me nuts.....

Sorry for the vent, but they still haven't addressed it after 12ish years. Other than that, games a blast, lol.

That's called her having positive frames at the end of a combo or damn near almost no negative frames. It's common in every fighting game.

Oh yeah had just my first match where I won all rounds without losing any health. Don't know why the other dude was just sidestepping and blocking.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, Rig's Turn Leg Cut turned me off the character completely. It's like a 300 millisecond stance. I can't do that.

Vossler

That's called her having positive frames at the end of a combo or damn near almost no negative frames. It's common in every fighting game.

Gtk, was not aware of this. Not a hardcore fighting game guy, but do play SC and DOA heavily. Would think I would be aware of this...

Kinyou

Is there a chance to make the lobby matches ranked?

I'm really missing that part from DOA4. Having to search for just one match and then having to search for a completely new opponent kind of sucks, mostly because it often doesn't even find a player.

I feel like ignoring ranked matches entirely, but climbing up and down the ranks was a big part of the fun in DoA4 :/

Btw. Mila is totally my new favorite character

Esura

Banned

They are both Ba Ji Quan users. She does her katas, Akira must of been impressed and showed off his then they fight to test each other out. It's a staple in martial art movies.

Gtk, was not aware of this. Not a hardcore fighting game guy, but do play SC and DOA heavily. Would think I would be aware of this...

Most fighters don't actually go in depth into the concept of frames within the game. Hell, I just brushed them off as a bunch of meaningless numbers for years until the TTT2 OT.

Is there a chance to make the lobby matches ranked?

I'm really missing that part from DOA4. Having to search for just one match and then having to search for a completely new opponent kind of sucks, mostly because it often doesn't even find a player.

I feel like ignoring ranked matches entirely, but climbing up and down the ranks was a big part of the fun in DoA4 :/

Btw. Mila is totally my new favorite character

iirc, DOA4 only got away with that because it was a launch 'window' game.

Shadybiz

I did a few online matches. It was half and half silky smooth and choppy as hell. I can deal with it, because I'm not a hardcore fighter, but I can see how more experienced people would be set off by it. Actually managed to win one match as Mila...I won't let it go to my head :)

Top Bottom