• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Are all DOA tournament streamchats like this, or is it just FGC guys having a look and shitting on Mystik? Embarrassing. I'm out of here.

KSai

Thanks for the tip. I'm stuck in E- or something right now. Do you continue to go up in rank even if you lose? I'm bad and lose about 75% of my fights, and I'd rather not be stuck where I am.

I thought the road from E to D- was the hardest slog ever. When you get to D you'll start losing points whenever you lose a match. It's minimal though, like 30 points or 6 if you fight someone of a higher rank.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Are all DOA tournament streamchats like this, or is it just FGC guys having a look and shitting on Mystik? Embarrassing. I'm out of here.

You mean hate talk to the game and offensive against woman? That happens in other streams too. Turn off the chat and be happy.

Just had a fight where my opponent who was 1 meter away punched me, very weird. Sometimes the characters don't make contact but their punches/kicks are still registered as hits.

Dantis

How has everyone's online experience been by the way? Mine has been mostly without incident. Only had one match (Out of about 30) with noticeable lag.

akaoni

Banned

Unfortunately the decent people don't use the chat for obvious reasons, so pretty much every fighting stream chat turns into misogyny and bashing games they know nothing about. They are most tame when certain games are being played - you're free to make your own conclusions from that, I know I have.

I've have not been able to accept a single throw down challenge. Every time the little message pops up, I quickly select it, but it later says that the opponent cannot fight. I also have not been able to upload a single title to Facebook. It always tells me to check my network settings. Can anyone help me with this?

Edgeward

Yes, especially when it is part of larger tournament with other FGs. Much more so for DOA because the FGC at large dislikes it.

Block it, crush it, hold it, or side step it.

Christie's down P+K stance completely dismantles high attacks. She has the fastest jab in the game, just press punch. It'll beat any attack in the game that doesn't beat highs.

I try, but often my moves are registered way too late, he keeps on doing the same stuff over and over.

Dantis

Block it, crush it, hold it, or side step it.

Christie's down P+K stance completely dismantles high attacks. She has the fastest jab in the game, just press punch. It'll beat any attack in the game that doesn't beat highs.

It just catches you off guard. I only realised it was on one-round when I lost. On the one hand, people should be able to deal with it, on the other hand, it's still kinda rotten.

I try, but often my moves are registered way too late, he keeps on doing the same stuff over and over.

Just counter it. That's how I beat him.

louie

Just spend several hours trying to figure out Mila in online training with a friend. Holy shit, those guaranteed ground throws...

xion4360

Event: DOA5 PSN GAF Tournament by: Memento_Mori15
Start Date: Sept 29th (9:30pm)
Time Zone: EST
Stream URL: (TBA)
Prize: 1st place wins $10 PSN Code or $10 Amazon Gift Card
MAX 16 PLAYERS

Is this still happening?

You know, I learned Lisa's fighting name is "the butterfly" but her Lucha Libre outfits don't really have a butterfly thing going on, IMO. Kinda disappointing. :(
Look at the mask on both lucha outfits, the yellow design on her shirt in the red/blue ones, and the pink designs on her silver one.

kunonabi

So are there any move lists online?

I'd like to see properties(sabakis,etc) for Pai's stuff since I doubt it's 1:1 with her VF self.

sleepykyo

I've been watching the stream, should've noted it down. They keep saying 66KK followed by something, and whatever she does after the 66KK it can be cancelled out of and results in positive frames? Fighting game lingo, someone explain for us.

66KK4 leaves her at +7 on block which means she recovers faster and can attack before the defender. Can someone check to see if the second hit can be countered or high crushed? I don't really trust the commentary.

All stream chat is awful. Just hide the chat.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
66KK4 leaves her at +7 on block which means she recovers faster and can attack before the defender. Can someone check to see if the second hit can be countered or high crushed? I don't really trust the commentary.

You can counter the second part even if the first hits I believe.

Whoa, did I just find a glitch in a DOA game? I was in ranked searching for players but when a match was found I didn't go to the selection screen. Instead I'm suddenly spectating a match between two people. No menu options, no way to back out. I had to power off my 360. Slightly amusing but mostly annoying.

This game just doesn't want me to love it. =[

KSai

Why hang out in the stream when you can play the game? That's why I typically avoid the FGC.

Weird, my game froze when I tried to open up a ranked match.
I've had the game freeze on Ranked during character select, stage select, and right after the end of a match. It has its problems.

Today I learned how much better my brother is at the game. The way he plays is beautiful, like artistry in motion compared to my gruff and aggressive playstyle. He got me to C rank after defeating a man I lost 10 games to because of lag and/or lack of skill.

So after a couple of days with the game I'm reminded why I always put down DOA games after a couple of weeks. It's fun and all, but I'm just not a fan of the core mechanics.

I instinctively want to throw when I see an opponent staggered and I'm on offense, but I can't. I instinctively want to block when I'm hit and I'm on defense, but I can't. I have to switch into counter mode instead, but the game is built around mix-ups that are hard to read -- heck moves in general are hard to read, so the counter system feels needlessly complex. Why four levels of counter instead of three? How often am I really going to try to input an expert counter outside of extremely predictable opponents? I don't feel like I'm ever reading, just guessing.

Some other peeves of mine include bad hitboxes (sweeps hitting jumping characters) and the sidestep breaking (or enhancing?) the positioning game to the detriment of being able to herd your opponent towards stage hazards. Overall I'm having fun, but it just feels too random to want to spend serious time with.

Top Bottom