• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

All of Lisas regular outfits suck.Her awesome swimsuit is completely impossible to get (45 wins on Champion is my best). I beat survival mode in DoA4 (100 consec wins) but having to repeat that feat 4 times on escalating difficulties really is impossible. I struggled to get Tina and Christies suits using cheap Hayabusa spam. I dont even think I could unlock Legendary Survival, let alone beat it.
Why did TN even bother putting it in the game if no one can use it?
Maybe I'll start using Christie instead. Her red suit looks good but her fighting style, Im not so sure about.

So after a couple of days with the game I'm reminded why I always put down DOA games after a couple of weeks. It's fun and all, but I'm just not a fan of the core mechanics.

I instinctively want to throw when I see an opponent staggered and I'm on offense, but I can't. I instinctively want to block when I'm hit and I'm on defense, but I can't. I have to switch into counter mode instead, but the game is built around mix-ups that are hard to read -- heck moves in general are hard to read, so the counter system feels needlessly complex. Why four levels of counter instead of three? How often am I really going to try to input an expert counter outside of extremely predictable opponents? I don't feel like I'm ever reading, just guessing.

Some other peeves of mine include bad hitboxes (sweeps hitting jumping characters) and the sidestep breaking (or enhancing?) the positioning game to the detriment of being able to herd your opponent towards stage hazards. Overall I'm having fun, but it just feels too random to want to spend serious time with.

i feel the same. haven't played a DOA since the DC and everything feels loose and weird.

also why does the voice option change back to default on reboot? i can't keep it on japanese.

benzy

All of Lisas regular outfits suck.

Yeah. This awesome outfit from DOA4 is gone. :((

1126890144.jpg

stn

Just heard the OST. Worst DOA soundtrack ever? I already know I'll be blasting DOA 2 and 4 music from my custom soundtracks when I finally get this game. Still, really want to play it.

Yeah. This awesome outfit from DOA4 is gone. :((

1126890144.jpg

Yeah, that one and the Catsuit should have been left in IMO. The pants on lisas default DoA5 wrestler outfit are terrible IMO. The top looks ok. The scientist outfit and the furry coat look are both a bit boring too. I miss that catsuit :(

LisaDOA4C4.jpg

Esura

Banned
Get to the end and it all gets wrapped up.

I've completed DOA5's story mode for awhile now and
aside from the real Kasumi saving Hayate, stopping Alpha, blowing up the lab, then at the end going all Bad Boys on us none of that was ever cleared up.

Dantis

I've completed DOA5's story mode for awhile now and
aside from the real Kasumi saving Hayate, stopping Alpha, blowing up the lab, then at the end going all Bad Boys on us none of that was ever cleared up.

The real Kasumi is only in the final chapter. Everything before that was a clone. Hayate isn't hunting her.

benzy

Yeah, that one and the Catsuit should have been left in IMO. The pants on lisas default DoA5 wrestler outfit are terrible IMO. The top looks ok. The scientist outfit and the furry coat look are both a bit boring too. I miss that catsuit :(

LisaDOA4C4.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot about the catsuit. Tina had a couple too.

Esura

Banned
Whats the point of the pre-order costumes if no one online can see them?

I can see people's preorder costume clearly and from the messages I get...people can see my Ayane's bikini too. :p

Sometimes I get a few people who'd see me select my bikini and they move up to their bikini costume instead of the one they picked. Must be some unwritten DOA5 online rule right now lol.

The real Kasumi is only in the final chapter. Everything before that was a clone. Hayate isn't hunting her.

He should at least let her back in the clan after she kills Donovan.

sleepykyo

Didn't see the comments, but I'm betting the comments largely stemmed from old grudges over how she was introduced to the community in DOA4. She was basically tossed into a televised tournament and given a sponsorship due to demographics rather than minor things like say, familiarity with the game.

Her dad tried on a few occasions to shout down the internet which went over well to boot.

To her credit, she took the time and effort to actually learn how to play the game well.

Giving way too credit to the chat. It was closer to what normally happens when a female is on stream.

I can see people's preorder costume clearly and from the messages I get...people can see my Ayane's bikini too. :p

Sometimes I get a few people who'd see me select my bikini and they move up to their bikini costume instead of the one they picked. Must be some unwritten DOA5 online rule right now lol.

Sounds like people that don't have the costumes themselves can't see the costumes, which is stupid if true.

alstein

This is what "real" DLC is like. Not on disc, and they probably can't afford to constantly patch non-buyers games.

I'll take this over the constant reminds you don't have it like AE does.

It would be nice if when they're done with the DLC, they patch things then (as part of their balance patch , which they'll need by this point)

I'd rather companies wait and fix things after the FGC breaks things down, than try to react instantly the way MK9 did, though MK9 had much bigger problems at launch that needed instant attention.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Thanks for the reminder, no timezone in the schedule though. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me the time for DOA5 in GMT.

I didn't knew about the schedule for today until a few minutes ago. I'm a bit off in that aspect and I apologize. If some of you get the schedule let me know and I'll update (PM me)

EDIT: Shimbori so cute! <3

Just beat the story mode. It lives up to the all the other ones in being confusing as fuck.

I'm glad I played DOA dimensions earlier this year because it helped make everything more understandable.

I'm also still having problems uploading titles to Facebook and accepting those random fight invitations. I get network errors for Facebook and player cannot fight messages for the invites.

Vazra

Just beat the story mode. It lives up to the all the other ones in being confusing as fuck.

I'm glad I played DOA dimensions earlier this year because it helped make everything more understandable.

I'm also still having problems uploading titles to Facebook and accepting those random fight invitations. I get network errors for Facebook and player cannot fight messages for the invites.

For the fight messages probably most people turned off the throwdowns I guess. My facebook stuff I havent had problems.

akaoni

Banned
I didn't knew about the schedule for today until a few minutes ago. I'm a bit off in that aspect and I apologize. If some of you get the schedule let me know and I'll update (PM me)

EDIT: Shimbori so cute! <3

It looks like DOA5 is starting now, so if this is to be believed;

10 am Persona 4 Top 8
12 am DOA 5 Top 4
2 pm KOF XIII Top 8
4 pm col. F. Champ vs FC Chris G First to 10 Exhibition UMVC3
5 pm Break and Raffles
6 pm SSF4 AE Top 8
8 pm UMVC3 Top 16

That's about 1800GMT for the DOA5 start. 1300EST/1400EDST/1100PST, I don't know the golden standard for NA times but I guess the schedule is EDST based.

EDIT; Blah, brainfart. Maths fail. Schedule is EST based I think, but that would put them 1 hour behind schedule?

Vazra

10 am Persona 4 Top 8
12 pm DOA 5 Top 4
2 pm KOF XIII Top 8
5 pm Break and Raffles
6 pm SSF4 AE Top 8
8 pm UMVC3 Top 16

That's about 1800GMT for the DOA5 start. 1300EST/1400EDST/1100PST, I don't know the golden standard for NA times but I guess the schedule is EDST based.

12PM EST alright.

Jayhawk

NinjaCW ended up getting 3rd place with Tina, even though he probably should have switched at Loser's Finals. Character loyalty!

Skilletor

Love this game, think it's good, but watching this finale shows me they didn't do enough to change it from DoA4.

Sounds like people that don't have the costumes themselves can't see the costumes, which is stupid if true.

I don't get this thinking. Did you buy the DLC so others could see it or so that you could?

People bitched about Capcom's on disc dlc, but this is the alternative.

Saw some of the matches and I'm liking Perfectlegend's Ayane. I can definitely learn a lot from that match. I was hoping he would use her again in the last round.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

10 am Persona 4 Top 8
12 am DOA 5 Top 4
2 pm KOF XIII Top 8
5 pm Break and Raffles
6 pm SSF4 AE Top 8
8 pm UMVC3 Top 16

So MK9 is completely over?

Also, not sure I really liked the DOA finals since it was all Jann Lee. But I'm not bagging on the players themselves. Ninja's Tina was awesome and yesterday there was a guy using Bass doing work, and of course Kat's Hayate.

Squire

Banned
It has been out for 5 days people still adapting. In a few weeks things will probably change.

LOL, Pupi. In November you'll be like, "It's only been a month guys. Give it a year and see!" How long do people have to wait to make a judgement call? On anything?

Top Bottom