• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

You know, I have to feel that story mode in this game actually acts as a more decent tutorial than most fighting games this gen.

The missions actually do cover all angles of the system, up to making people realize how to set up and combo power blows. And the AI during the missions isn't entirely asleep and provides a good moving target. The interface just needs an indicator of which missions have been completed so far. Glaring omission there.

Might have been cool if after you finish one, a mission leveled up in each story fight, with a tougher challenge, for you to replay again.

it's decent, but specific fights needed more explanation. missions like 7 or 10 hit combo with hitomi are annoying when the game doesn't show the inputs. you have to exit the story mode and experiment in training just to finish missions like that.

I played my first offline session yesterday and it turns out my drunk mid-week rant about Akira being shit was utter nonsense. He has a few weaknesses in not having catch grabs, his lack of strings is in issue given that both the majority of normals are unsafe which creates a bit of a reliance on 66p to get counter hits and it creates a vulnerability to side-stepping given his lack of tracking. However his ability to destroy your opponents if they try and block you along with the height his just frame knee gets in early stuns is pretty ludicrous.

My biggest problem was in playing him was how awful the net-code in the game is. It makes things frustrating online because not being able to react to strings or counter attempts encourages people to be random as hell and it makes options like mid parries much more powerful.

Endo Punk

I get lag when I fight most NA players but hardly with JPN :/

I think my Brad Wong is really rising the ranks :p It's so damn fun using him I haven't had time to practice with any other character. I still don't know how to perform a critical burst though.

Bankoiia

I have yet to play a single lag-free match online.

Today I tried connecting with a friend who lives very close by, like 25 minuets by car, and it was still a slideshow. I never have any problems in other online games and my internetspeed is decent so I don´t think that´s the problem. It´s a shame really, hoping the incoming patch will make it bearable.

Mrninjaman

Neo Member
So I have looked in the thread and online but don't see much on this issue, My game is freezing and not the normal screen glitch that most people talk about, I have to exit out of the game because it just gets stuck, oh and I have the game on 360 (I have a slimline I got last Christmas to replace an older model.)

It happens sometimes when trying to go back to the character select screen from training, occasionally when just loading up the game. Right now the big problem is no matter how many times I've tried I can't progress in the story, I'm stick on the first time Kasumi Fights Ayane it loads up the little intro scene and then when it goes to load the fight the little red circle starts spinning and never stops or gets to the actual match.

In that instance I can exit out of the game with the guide button, but sometimes a hard reset is the only option.

I've done all the normal stuff I can think of; clear the cache uninstall-reinstall the game. uninstall the patch etc. I'm just at my wits end I love DoA and hate to just give up on it but not sure where to go from here or who to contact, any suggestions from the gaf team?

Galdelico

Yeah this mode is nothing like survival mode in any DOA.
I must be the only one actually loving this survival (similar to Dimensions') way more than the previous, item-based, one.

I've always been distracted by those collectibles (more than excited to get them all) and I find the renewed focus on the actual combat is more in line with the idea of 'surviving' as well.
I can't wait to unlock the Survival 100, which is probably gonna be my favourite offline mode in DoA5.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So I have looked in the thread and online but don't see much on this issue, My game is freezing and not the normal screen glitch that most people talk about, I have to exit out of the game because it just gets stuck, oh and I have the game on 360 (I have a slimline I got last Christmas to replace an older model.)

It happens sometimes when trying to go back to the character select screen from training, occasionally when just loading up the game. Right now the big problem is no matter how many times I've tried I can't progress in the story, I'm stick on the first time Kasumi Fights Ayane it loads up the little intro scene and then when it goes to load the fight the little red circle starts spinning and never stops or gets to the actual match.

In that instance I can exit out of the game with the guide button, but sometimes a hard reset is the only option.

I've done all the normal stuff I can think of; clear the cache uninstall-reinstall the game. uninstall the patch etc. I'm just at my wits end I love DoA and hate to just give up on it but not sure where to go from here or who to contact, any suggestions from the gaf team?

It happened to me 2 times online. I havent had much issues with freezes besides the freeze on training mode which were another 2-3 freezes.

Dantis

Today I tried connecting with a friend who lives very close by, like 25 minuets by car, and it was still a slideshow. I never have any problems in other online games and my internetspeed is decent so I don´t think that´s the problem. It´s a shame really, hoping the incoming patch will make it bearable.

This is really unfortunate. I have no idea what causes it. It seems like a complete 50/50 chance on whether or not it'll be laggy. I've had a lot of laggy matches now, but the larger majority have been at the very least smooth.

xion4360

Its not everyone who can say this, so its more than the game. I have played a ton of throwdowns and rank matches with same region and all have been visually lag free, though not entirely input lag free. Im not sure why there is input lag, DOA4 almost never had that problem with me. Lag was always dropped frames, but as far as input it always went through as expected. I do hope they fix that somehow.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Its not everyone who can say this, so its more than the game. I have played a ton of throwdowns and rank matches with same region and all have been visually lag free, though not entirely input lag free. Im not sure why there is input lag, DOA4 almost never had that problem with me. Lag was always dropped frames, but as far as input it always went through as expected. I do hope they fix that somehow.

Well they did mentioned they are working hard trying to improve the online experience. We'll see what happens eventually if they keep up to it or not.

DrDogg

The game is unplayable online for anyone who takes this game seriously. I don't care how good some people "think" the connection is, you can't counter on reaction, step on reaction, hit just frame combo throws or even punish properly in most situations.

It needs to be at least VF5FS levels of netcode.

Skilletor

The game is unplayable online for anyone who takes this game seriously. I don't care how good some people "think" the connection is, you can't counter on reaction, step on reaction, hit just frame combo throws or even punish properly in most situations.

It needs to be at least VF5FS levels of netcode.

^

Agreed.

Endo Punk

I cannot for the life of me attack a person who has the balls to perform a taunt in the middle of a fight. I love seeing the taunts!

so can i blame lag for hitomi punch spam i wasn't able to beat with any character or is she generally very fast with those? i got destroyed by someone online with her earlier. he was pretty good, but that particular detail irked me.

but i must say that i didn't notice much lag since i started playing. no slowdown, just a couple of lag spikes when someones bro goes online.

Let's all play VF5FS instead! It's only $7.50 (600 points) on the Xbox this week!

already paid full price. still happy.

Loona

I'm sure there's a VF thread somewhere. You guys go there and have fun being all alone. Leave this thread alone.

Can't blame VF fans for hoping DoA5 has a "comes for the girls, stay for the VF characters, give actual VF a shot" effect. It's part of the charm of crossovers.

Now that I think about it, DoA5 seems to have outsold TTT2, but what are the numbers on the latest VF that got digitally distributed?

Dantis

DOA is miles easier to pick up than VF5 though, and it flows so much nicer. I don't mind VF5, but it's certainly no DOA.

Zezboob

Dead link :/

I'm sure there's a VF thread somewhere. You guys go there and have fun being all alone. Leave this thread alone.
Whatlol ?

OK the userbase should be (at least for the moment) less important than DOA one, but all alone ?

You could ask for people to focus on DOA without trolling.

(but people should take the opportunity to try VF5FS :D, just for the curiosity, for this price :p)

Dantis

(but people should take the opportunity to try VF5FS :D, just for the curiosity, for this price :p)

I'll just add a "If you're looking for a very deep, competitive fighter" to that. Let's not oversell things here. VF5FS is pretty much useless for casuals like myself. The original game at least has Quest Mode.

DR2K

Banned
I'll just add a "If you're looking for a very deep, competitive fighter" to that. Let's not oversell things here. VF5FS is pretty much useless for casuals like myself. The original game at least has Quest Mode.

There's no one online either so I was forced to stop playing it. DOA5 is looking to head in that direction. No one plays simple, ranked can alter round settings, and lobbies are full of scrubs playing on largest. The lobby selection doesn't even work, it sends me to random rooms instead of the one I pick. Netcode is pretty damn bad, especially lately. Just major input delay everywhere. I can react to predictable lows, but my inputs won't do it in time.

I've had a lobby open for 10 minutes and not a singe person has entered.

Defunkled

Is it just me or is it fucking impossible to get Hayate's Hi Counter Hold Bonus Mission towards the end of Story? I've been banging my head against it for 2 hours. HELP.

louie

Is it just me or is it fucking impossible to get Hayate's Hi Counter Hold Bonus Mission towards the end of Story? I've been banging my head against it for 2 hours. HELP.

Did this one a couple of hours ago too. There's no real secret to it, just delay holding the attack as long as possible.

Skilletor

Dead link :/

Whatlol ?

OK the userbase should be (at least for the moment) less important than DOA one, but all alone ?

You could ask for people to focus on DOA without trolling.

I'm not trolling. The only way I've been able to find a match in VF5 is to arrange it beforehand. Online is abandoned. But if people want to talk about VF, there's a thread for that. Go there to do it.

Squire

Banned
I'm not trolling. The only way I've been able to find a match in VF5 is to arrange it beforehand. Online is abandoned. But if people want to talk about VF, there's a thread for that. Go there to do it.

You can make a suggestion, but you can't really tell people what to do/where to go. It may be the DOA5 thread, but there's VF characters in the game. VF talk/comparisons aren't wholly unwarranted and it's not like anybody is being insulting (to DOA, anyway.) If you don't wanna see the discussion, YOU go somewhere else.

Skilletor

You can make a suggestion, but you can't really tell people what to do/where to go. It may be the DOA5 thread, but there's VF characters in the game. VF talk/comparisons aren't wholly unwarranted and it's not like anybody is being insulting (to DOA, anyway.) If you don't wanna see the discussion, YOU go somewhere else.

Perhaps you haven't been around for grap3's rants.

Skilletor

I stopped playing online when I couldn't counter or punish. Offline only for me, unless friends REALLY want to play. Too many other options out with excellent online to waste my time with a game that only mirrors offline play.

Top Bottom