• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

MrMephistoX

I think I may well be more casual than I thought. I have played SF4, SSF4, T6, BlazBlue, VF5/FS, MK9 and as far as fun goes DOA5 is my favourite :/ I just hope the online play gets another good patch because I am really enjoying the fighting, level design/interactivity and just the visuals in general.

i adore the counter system so much.

I'm the same way and its a shame because the other series' made me forget how much I adore DOA and VF. The improvisation aspect is key for me, sure you can memorize a string of combos but thinking on your feet is just as important. I won't say that isn't the case with the likes of SF but I feel like you have to memorize memorize memorize in order to win and can only get to improvisational stuff once you've memorized he same high level combo strings as the other high level players otherwise you're toast.

Endo Punk

Man I hate going into that mode where I feel I can hold an attack and I constantly keep doing the hold animation while the opponent looks on in confusion.

I'm the same way and its a shame because the other series' made me forget how much I adore DOA and VF. The improvisation aspect is key for me, sure you can memorize a string of combos but thinking on your feet is just as important. I won't say that isn't the case with the likes of SF but I feel like you have to memorize memorize memorize in order to win and can only get to improvisational stuff once you've memorized he same high level combo strings as the other high level players otherwise you're toast.

Yep I love the spontaneous nature of DOA. The game imo has a rock solid system where even if I am getting battered by a high level opponent I feel I can get out of it with clever thinking. I dunno but in other fighters you do get a sense of some players being too over powered, and it discourages you from certain characters where you have to try harder to win.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, the AI reading your moves is kinda why I gave up on the outfits. I hope they bring out an unlock outfit DLC key because there's no way in hell I'm going to beat Legendary Survival at this rate.

My win ratio has died completely over the few days. Down to 55% in ranked. :(

Also, you'd probably win more matches if you set it to more than one round.

I started to play 2 rounds lately. My first 300 matches or so I had it set to 3 rounds, but I was sick of giving away the games in the end. Usually I go 2-0, and end up with 2-3 -_-

Btw you have a very high ratio. :)

i thought i was immune to freezes in this game. today i got that black screen twice in online mode. no real freeze, but annoying nevertheless. yesterday infinite win screen versus jucksalbe here.

actually, you have to memorize every string and combo for every character in this game to be legitimately good. there is always a chance to get randomed out if you can't counter your opponent regularly. makes it harder to transfer your skills into gameplay, until you know the game in and out. it's a design decision to lower the skill requirement in the beginning - mid tier.

Loona

I can never understand people who play fighters for the story. It is so foreign a concept to me. So weird.

The story doesn't change as much as the gameplay between games, it helps give a sense of continuity to the whole thing, regardless of which moves, combos or systems get modified durung a series.

Skilletor

The story doesn't change as much as the gameplay between games, it helps give a sense of continuity to the whole thing, regardless of which moves, combos or systems get modified durung a series.

Sure, but I will never understand why somebody would buy a fighting game for the story. Well, I guess I could with Persona, because fans would probably care for it coming from an RPG, but otherwise...I don't get it. Never have, never will. Just completely foreign to me. Stories in fighters are invariably garbage and if you care about stories, you'd be better of playing games that put more effort into that aspect.

akaoni

Banned
Sure, but I will never understand why somebody would buy a fighting game for the story. Well, I guess I could with Persona, because fans would probably care for it coming from an RPG, but otherwise...I don't get it. Never have, never will. Just completely foreign to me. Stories in fighters are invariably garbage and if you care about stories, you'd be better of playing games that put more effort into that aspect.

I agree, plus I'm waiting on Persona 4 Arena just to play the story. Deux points. I expect the story in P4A to be poor but retain interest in that it's more of a bonus thing and just for fun.

This isn't the first fighting game I've seen get flak for the story mode. Fighting game stories are inherently garbage due to their nature, as in they all need some really corny reason to bring a bunch of skilled fighters together in order to pummel people every other year. There really isn't many options, you could make a single protagonist but then you would be neglecting the other X number of characters in the cast or try to have them all play a role and well you end up with questionable actions/motives. I've read a lot of people saying the Mortal Kombat story mode was good and admittedly I haven't played it, but didn't they burn through like 20 years of already established story just do that? I will be impressed if people are as positive about the next MK story mode. In addition, the whole theme of Mortal Kombat is somewhat 'whacky', people would accept whatever drivel the story has easier than games with a more 'contemporary' feeling (difficult to explain this). I don't have any preference for a story mode or arcade endings, but if trying to offer a story mode is only going to get the game slated more than it would otherwise, then maybe they would be better off sticking to the traditional arcade ending and spending resources on other things instead. I have yet to finish the DOA5 story mode, but I have enjoyed some of the funnier moments in between the fights, anyone complaining just needs to put it in the right perspective, e.g. don't take it seriously. A dedicated thread could be good to be honest, there's an idea!

Dantis

I have played this game way too much. Like 10 hours on 360 and 40 on PS3. It's distracting me from my backlog of games I need to get through.

Finally beat Legend Survival mode this morning. Huge relief.
Difficulty, clock time, health regained at the end of the round etc is the same as it was on Champ IMO.
I used Lisa to beat all 4 Survival difficulties.
Her 1p, k move was the attack I spammed the most. It has amazing range and good speed but its main purpose was to soften the opponent up for a Critical Burst<launch<hit<air grab/carwheel kick which would generally take off close to half their health. every time I got floored, I'd try to hit them with the mid/low wake up kick into 1p k and Critical Burst. This made comeback fights a real possibility, when I needed them (mostly against bloody Jan Lee).
Generally, I tried to stay away from the electric ropes/perimeter as they would screw up my combo or I'd get smashed against them. If you can stay in or near the red circle in the middle of the arena, you're good.
Lisas 7k p (body splash) attack worked great against the AI in general but especially well against turtles (Akira!). The body splash seems to break their guard so you can set them up for a Critical Burst into the afore mentioned combo.

albummk08a0101006028042.jpg

albummk08a0124006028042.jpg

albummk08a0138006028042.jpg

albummk07x5901006028045.jpg

Loona

I can't speak for the genre in general, but I for one have been following SNK's stuff for years, and throughout those decades a lot of lore and subplots build up in different but connected games, some of them left hanging for upcoming games - individually each doesn't amount to much, but paying enough attention to each and how they follow from each other it ends up being like following a favorite TV show, only each episode takes years to come out.
As an example, I'm still kinda of hoping someday SNKP will bother to release a game that shows the results of the training depicted in my avatar here, for example, since that's got quite a bit going behind it, and at the same thing it would imply some merging of fighting styles from 2 or 3 characters which I'd be curious to see in action. Garou 2 would do nicely.
Having first become aware of some of the stories at an earlier age may have applied something of an imprinting effect to the whole thing, so grain of salt and all that.

For DoA I can't care as much, because in the end it always seems to boil down to ninjas running around and stuff exploding, but I did watch some videos of Dimensions, and that seemed to tie more closely into the Ninja Gaiden series (at least I think one of the NPCs with Hayabusa was from that), which was nice - at least I like it when stories are included in the context of a larger world.
For 5, I didn't expect much, though the trailers left me curious about a scene or two (Hitomi and Leifang going all Jungle Jane WTF?...), but there were still some nice moments, like the Bass/Tina meeting in the tournament, which for the genre wasn't a terrible handling of a father's concern for how his daughter is handling her life and how she deals with his attitude about it.
I wish the VF characters appeared more than once, and that Pai made her way in there somewhere, it would have been hard to replace Mila with her in Leifang's story mode.

Barely related, but am I the only one that finds it weird that you get no titles in DoA5 for finishing Zack's chapters in story mode like everyone else (well, Kasumi gets 3)? He's degenerated into a joke character years ago, but still, he's got a bit of a role in the events...

Also barely related: does akira ever actually say "Jyunen hayaindayo!" in the game like he did in the reveal trailer? He always says something else in his intro and victory animations... It's weirder still that he doesn't ssay it when challenging Kokoro in her story mode, but Zack jokes about that line (something like "those 10 years went by pretty fast") when the fight's over.

Endo Punk

Goddamn! I would of thought Legend Survival be impossible. Lisa is one of my main and I would love to get her outfit, I just don't think I have the patience.

KingJ2002

I hear you guys... It sounds silly.. it really does because i've always ignored the stories (aside from MK... it was well done)

either way... i've been in training mode finding who i should main for DOA 5... this game has a different feel... a lot tighter and more precise than the other games... so i want to make sure i go in good.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is there any way to escape string of combos being continually unleashed against your character once you are caught in one? This thing is killing me ;___________;

dreamfall

Whoawesome! Congrats Hoya Destroyer! I doubt I'll ever get there, unlocking Tina's & Christie's were crazy enough. But that is amazing! So much resolve- enjoy it!

Endo Punk

Once getting caught in a combo my character always seem to get stunned or staggered though...

Getting caught in a combo is my #1 getting killed reason in this game right now.

Unless it's a critical stun you can still get out of combos by using the correct hold. In most stun animations all you can do is get in a hold. As long you're not lifted off the ground

tagrat

Is there an edge to either version of the game (360/PS3)? I've been trying to find info, but haven't found anything really. Do both really look/play about the same?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I think there's like two people from GAF on my friends list playing this game. Everyone is currently playing Borderlands 2, RE6, or TTT2.

Online is the worst of the current-gen 3d fighters (TTT2=VF5 , then SC5, then DOA5)

I've found it be mostly-good online and limit searches to regional or local. This game is nothing like Tekken 6 was pre-patch.

Definitely not as good as TTT2 (the best), SCV, and VF5 online, but those games are all excellent online and this game is right below them.

Is there an edge to either version of the game (360/PS3)? I've been trying to find info, but haven't found anything really. Do both really look/play about the same?

I double-dipped on DOA5. It's essentially the same on both systems, although I thought that it did look slightly better on PS3. I spend most of my playtime on the 360 version of the game though.

anybody else not happy with the sound mix in this game? we know the OST is not that great, but the mix is equally low-key. they didn't even bother offering dts or higher on PS3, like many other games do.

Finally beat Legend Survival mode this morning. Huge relief.

congrats, you definitely earned it. you're free now.

Skilletor

This game isn't even as good as DoA4 or DoA2U online.

I would definitely compare this with T6 before I compare it with SC5, VF, or TTT2. Not even in the same league.

Top Bottom