• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

DR2K

Banned
I stopped playing online when I couldn't counter or punish. Offline only for me, unless friends REALLY want to play. Too many other options out with excellent online to waste my time with a game that only mirrors offline play.

Yep, wish I had local competition.

The game is unplayable online for anyone who takes this game seriously. I don't care how good some people "think" the connection is, you can't counter on reaction, step on reaction, hit just frame combo throws or even punish properly in most situations.

It needs to be at least VF5FS levels of netcode.
"B-b-but it must be your crappy connection because I have lot of wins!"

I'm glad the guy who wrote the guide is in here to tell the doubters what Skilletor and I have been saying since day 1.

Makoto

"B-b-but it must be your crappy connection because I have lot of wins!"

I'm glad the guy who wrote the guide is in here to tell the doubters what Skilletor and I have been saying since day 1.
I'm watching lobby streams right now it looks incredibly smooth. It must be your connection.

But seriously speaking, I said online would make or break this game for me and I wasn't joking. I've since sold DoA5.

branny

oh lawd it literally got DOA vs VF in here

Yep, wish I had local competition.
Or that DOA5's offline modes were as good as the ones in earlier DOAs. :(

I still haven't bothered trying to get Lisa's thing. So horrible. I don't want to deal with survival mode for that. Just let me eject the disc and pop it out of someone down on the ground like a fruit or martini.

Completed my first, and probably last, Command Training with Mila

Noticed some more lag earlier today, which was bothersome for the most part. And for some reason, I had trouble searching for a ranked match earlier this afternoon (even after customizing the search criteria)

I'm hoping it was just a fluke

alstein

I'm keeping the game around in case the online improves with a patch, but I've pretty much switched back to VF.

Realizing I'm not a fan of DOA"s counter system, which surprised me.

Endo Punk

I think I may well be more casual than I thought. I have played SF4, SSF4, T6, BlazBlue, VF5/FS, MK9 and as far as fun goes DOA5 is my favourite :/ I just hope the online play gets another good patch because I am really enjoying the fighting, level design/interactivity and just the visuals in general.

Realizing I'm not a fan of DOA"s counter system, which surprised me.

i adore the counter system so much.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I like both VF and DOA5 tons with slight favoritism to DOA because of the speed.(I handle myself pretty good in both games) With Tekken I havent clicked with it the times I've played the games (I play it decently but I dont like how the combat feels and not into the juggle fest)

Im sitting here playing Survival and listening to the radio and that Lincon Park song comes on.
"Ï tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesnt even matter". I think that sums up Survival mode perfectly.
Yesterday, I got to level 91 with Lisa and lost to an input-reading, turtle-cow named Hitomi.

Mesharey

Im sitting here playing Survival and listening to the radio and that Lincon Park song comes on.
"Ï tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesnt even matter". I think that sums up Survival mode perfectly.
Yesterday, I got to level 91 with Lisa and lost to an input-reading, turtle-cow named Hitomi.
I like your spirit. :p
Legend now, right ?

I was looking at DOA5 saves and files in my Xbox and noticed that they called the free DLC "DLC 06".

Endo Punk

Im not even gonna bother with survival mode. I don't have the patience to reach 100 and if I go far enough only to fail it would really piss me off. Hopefully the bikini's will be in some future costume pack, not that I care either way.

Umi88

Uhm.. any advice to be a bit better on this for someone new to the Dead or Alive franchise? ( played some vf5, sf, tekken.. etc)

I feel like i'll be like a character in traning mode, those mostly by having a friend that have been on the franchise for so long :(

I like your spirit. :p
Legend now, right ?

Nope. Still stuck on Master. Ive been playing all weekend and just cant finish it. Its just so damn boring :(

Im not even gonna bother with survival mode. I don't have the patience to reach 100 and if I go far enough only to fail it would really piss me off. Hopefully the bikini's will be in some future costume pack, not that I care either way.

I feel like I cant enjoy the game until Ive got that suit. Lisas other suits are so comparatively boring and she is one of my favorite characters.
I wouldnt be suprized if they released the orange or green version of it in future DLC, once TN realize no one is going to be able to use the existing silver one.

Vazra

Nope. Still stuck on Master. Ive been playing all weekend and just cant finish it. Its just so damn boring :(

I feel like I cant enjoy the game until Ive got that suit. Lisas other suits are so comparatively boring and she is one of my favorite characters.
I wouldnt be suprized if they released the orange or green version of it in future DLC, once TN realize no one is going to be able to use the existing silver one.

Wait for DLC. XD

Skilletor

Uhm.. any advice to be a bit better on this for someone new to the Dead or Alive franchise? ( played some vf5, sf, tekken.. etc)

I feel like i'll be like a character in traning mode, those mostly by having a friend that have been on the franchise for so long :(

what exactly are you having trouble with?

Oh God! I *just* beat Master Survival by the skin of my teeth with Lisa. My arms are shaking from the elbow down. So many hours, has it taken me. So much rage, anxiety and swearing.
Brad Wong was my final boss. I hate fighting him. Stupid stance bullshit etc. I mainly kept whacking him with Lisas 6p+b. I was freaking out and lucky to get through. But Survival is about 90% luck because it goes on for so damn long.
Please let legendary Survival be comparable to the previous difficulties.

Vazra

Oh God! I *just* beat Master Survival by the skin of my teeth with Lisa. My arms are shaking from the elbow down. So many hours, has it taken me. So much rage, anxiety and swearing.
Brad Wong was my final boss. I hate fighting him. Stupid stance bullshit etc. I mainly kept whacking him with Lisas 6p+b. I was freaking out and lucky to get through. But Survival is about 90% luck because it goes on for so damn long.
Please let legendary Survival be comparable to the previous difficulties.

I got some bad news for you. It will get harder XD

I got some bad news for you. It will get harder XD

Nah man. You're wrong. I just got to level 79 on Legend and there is no noticeable difference between this and the lesser (from Champ) difficulties. Praise the Lord!
Unless TN troll me by making the final 10 fights some kind of higher level nightmare, that swimsuit will soon be mine.
Mwahahah

KingJ2002

So... as much as I've been waiting on the game.

I... don't like it.

and really... it's ALL because of the story mode. It was so oft-putting that i don't even want to play the rest of the game. It wasn't difficult or anything it's just that the story is so bad no amount of japanese cheese can save it. I wished i never touched that mode... seriously... it jaded the entire experience because each stage I fight on reminds me of a terrible scene from the story mode.

I honestly wish that in DOA 6 they'll go back to each character having their own endings.

I'm going to try and play this game some more... i haven't played online yet so that could also be my issue but so far... i just think of that terrible story mode that prevents me from playing

I... don't like it.

and really... it's ALL because of the story mode. It was so oft-putting that i don't even want to play the rest of the game. It wasn't difficult or anything it's just that the story is so bad no amount of japanese cheese can save it. I wished i never touched that mode... seriously... it jaded the entire experience because each stage I fight on reminds me of a terrible scene from the story mode.

I honestly wish that in DOA 6 they'll go back to each character having their own endings.

I'm going to try and play this game some more... i haven't played online yet so that could also be my issue but so far... i just think of that terrible story mode that prevents me from playing

Dude the story mode in DOA5 is like Blade Runner compared to some of the character endings in previous DOA games.

I... don't like it.

The STORY of a FIGHTING GAME is making you sour on the entire experience?

My cannot comprehend the amount of fuckery that is going on here.

Alx

I only played story mode for the missions and special characters, and skipped most of the cutscenes (too bad for that achievement...). I don't remember the story being a strong point in DOA anyway, it's always been a silly mix-up of ninjas running after each other, shady company schemes and assassinations, and organizing a fighting tournament just because.
I only realized yesterday that Lisa was supposed to be one of the "bad guys", and I still have no idea why Elliot, Brad or Kokoro are there.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Holy fuck all of you people playing on Master and Legendary.

All I can do is beat Normal... and that is more often than not if I am lucky :(

You guys are whackos O________________O

So what's the secret all of you Master and Legendary conquerors? O______________O

Mesharey

Holy fuck all of you people playing on Master and Legendary.

All I can do is beat Normal... and that is more often than not if I am lucky :(

You guys are whackos O________________O
Legend is easier than normal. :p

Just spam the same move, Hayabusa or LeiFang and press back P+K, and you're done !

Loona

I liked the way the story mode was handled, it enforced a sense of continuity, game everyone screen time, and not binding it with endings gave it a "life goes on after this" feel to just about everyone.

The really weird part was the beginning, where one moment there's Bayman's group being ambushed, then you're sent to Mila's gym for the first trial, then back to the ambush - might as well have mae the ambush part a prologue in attract mode or something, then start with the Mila training, then have her look at a pic of Bass, show where Bass is, go to the Rig mission, and proceed from there.

what still really weirds me out in the game is the stances for the characters that have been around longer like Kasumi and Leifang - their feet are way too far apart to make those psotures viable in combat, I wonder if tweaking them and the animation from them would mess too much with frame data for sequels.

lol. I just got to level 100 on Legend Survival (fighting against Lisa in her swimsuit) and lost.
She's one of the hardest AI opponents because its so hard to hit her with wakeup (she always hops away after knocking you down), she grabs quickly and pokes like a bitch in close.
She read my inputs and spammed me with counters so theres no way I could have won that fight anyway. This is the second time Ive lost on stage 100 on survival.

Endo Punk

I really want this costume to return in the next DLC pack.

bradwong-doa4.jpg

lol. I just got to level 100 on Legend Survival (fighting against Lisa in her swimsuit) and lost.
She's one of the hardest AI opponents because its so hard to hit her with wakeup (she always hops away after knocking you down), she grabs quickly and pokes like a bitch in close.
She read my inputs and spammed me with counters so theres no way I could have won that fight anyway. This is the second time Ive lost on stage 100 on survival.

Twice? How are you still sane lol

i'd love to tell TN to make survival easier, but then your work would go to waste and that of the other 5 guys. normally i'm all for uber hard modes, i just hate when my inputs are being read.

i just want that trophy, TN can keep the swimsuit :)

Twice? How are you still sane lol

Just making it to 99 pretty much tells me that its just a matter of time before I beat it. Thats my consolation.

i'd love to tell TN to make survival easier, but then your work would go to waste and that of the other 5 guys. normally i'm all for uber hard modes, i just hate when my inputs are being read.

i just want that trophy, TN can keep the swimsuit :)

I like the DoA fighting system and it works well between humans but Survival mode just highlights how it does'nt really work against bots. Their input reading can be so flagrant and their cheating so obvious. I just want that friggin swimsuit TBH ;)

Skilletor

I... don't like it.

I can never understand people who play fighters for the story. It is so foreign a concept to me. So weird.

Top Bottom