• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This game isn't even as good as DoA4 or DoA2U online.

I would definitely compare this with T6 before I compare it with SC5, VF, or TTT2. Not even in the same league.

You're right- and I already said it isn't in the same league as TTT2/SCV/VF5FS. But it's definitely better than the previous DOA games and Tekken 6 were. It seems that on your connection this is not the case. I played a friend who lives in the same city...his connection was so was bad that matches felt like they were underwater. That was the worst DOA experience I've had, but it turns out that his shitty connection was over a wireless router with shitty Comcast. He says he's wired up everything and it should be better now.

Skilletor

You're right- and I already said it isn't in the same league as TTT2/SCV/VF5FS. But it's definitely better than the previous DOA games and Tekken 6 were. It seems that on your connection this is not the case. I played a friend who lives in the same city...his connection was so was bad that matches felt like they were underwater. That was the worst DOA experience I've had, but it turns out that his shitty connection was over a wireless router with shitty Comcast. He says he's wired up everything and it should be better now.

It's not even that matches slow down. When the lag is bad there's a constant hitch in battles that's more annoying than any lag input I've ever seen. I haven't seen this in a fighter ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiAO7CG-vzI

I just disagree that it's better than previous DoAs. It's by far worse. I never had problems with DoA2U or DoA4. But there's always the possibility that my expectations have changed in the past 7 years and if I went back to DoA4 I'd think it horrible.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
It's not even that matches slow down. When the lag is bad there's a constant hitch in battles that's more annoying than any lag input I've ever seen. I haven't seen this in a fighter ever.

I just disagree that it's better than previous DoAs. It's by far worse. I never had problems with DoA2U or DoA4. But there's always the possibility that my expectations have changed in the past 7 years and if I went back to DoA4 I'd think it horrible.

The video you posted is exactly what it was like when I played my friend last week. That's one of the worst types of matches that can happen, but matches that have played that badly online have been rare in the time I have spent playing the game online on both platforms.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The video you posted is exactly what it was like when I played my friend last week. That's one of the worst types of matches that can happen, but matches that have played that badly online have been rare in the time I have spent playing the game online on both platforms.

Same case here not a lot of trouble but when the game decides to go to shit it does go to shit. Still the input lag its bothersome for counters.

I played DoA4 a few weeks before the release of DoA5 and still find it pretty odd people like to say TT2/VF are mile better than it. In small lobbies it's close to being on par with those games and I swear the input lag isn't anywhere as noticeable as it is in DoA5.

Skilletor

I played DoA4 a few weeks before the release of DoA5 and still find it pretty odd people like to say TT2/VF are mile better than it. In small lobbies it's close to being on par with those games and I swear the input lag isn't anywhere as noticeable as it is in DoA5.

Because it's still really hard to punish or counter properly with a narrow window. Certain lows are safe online just because it's online. DoA4 is on the fringe of acceptable netcode for me. It is the bare mininum that I would accept. That netcode in SC or TTT's environment and gameplay wouldn't be very good.

Mr_eX

Has anyone fought any good Brad Wong players online? I've played a few people that use him, two of them I'd say were ok and one was actually better than me. I want to play more so I can see if they do anything with him that I don't.

The game is unplayable online for anyone who takes this game seriously. I don't care how good some people "think" the connection is, you can't counter on reaction, step on reaction, hit just frame combo throws or even punish properly in most situations.

It needs to be at least VF5FS levels of netcode.

This. So much this.

And I miss Ein. Spent years learning JUST that character and he was my main and all that time out the window w/o him in.

Lately I've come into this thread to say a thing and stopped when I noticed Skilletor's already said, almost word for word, what I was thinking. This is another example. The way DOA5 handles lag is much worse than previous games, and I'm envious of anyone who's experience with the netcode allows them to suggest otherwise. I spent a month on 4 before the sequel came out and in general I had no problem finding lagfree lobbies/matches (a 7 year old game?). Now, on 5, even in matches that initially appear to be lagfree I'm confronted with this hiccuping that's both unpredictable and frustrating.

19k matches in DOA4, likely half that in DOAU. I've hit 500 in 5 and I'm not sure I can put up with the online mode any more. The input lag, the difficulty finding matches, and the glitches and game freezes have left me bummed out. I'm really hoping the upcoming online patch Team Ninja has hinted at will bring the game up to at least 4's level, never mind mind the current crop of fighting games.

Also barely related: does akira ever actually say "Jyunen hayaindayo!" in the game like he did in the reveal trailer? He always says something else in his intro and victory animations... It's weirder still that he doesn't ssay it when challenging Kokoro in her story mode, but Zack jokes about that line (something like "those 10 years went by pretty fast") when the fight's over.

yes, i've had him say that on perfect wins, aka greats.

DrDogg

Had some matches with Maitre_Sega(or was it Sega_Maitre). Ranked 16 in the world. I was able to beat him a couple of times. :p

I'm sure you're pleased with your performance, and I really don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I must state the following...

1. Online wins do not matter... at all... for anything... period.

2. Just because he's #16 does not mean he's good. At least compared to players who are actually top tournament competitors.

geebee

Banned
Is there a way to view the photos you've taken in the PS3 XMB? I couldn't figure out how to, and it seems kind of a missed opportunity if the feature really doesnt exist..

I'm sure you're pleased with your performance, and I really don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I must state the following...

2. Just because he's #16 does not mean he's good. At least compared to players who are actually top tournament competitors.

I know, but I'm proud of myself for beating such a high ranked fighter nonetheless.

Dantis

Must you? Really? Because it sounds like you're just being mean, and what you just said is pretty much the definition of raining on someone's parade.

Dizzy

Banned
Going for the time attack costume. Got to stage 6 on master....died. Started again, got to stage 6.....died. Realized that its legend that counts and not master -_- so i thought id take it easy.....did master without dying this time. Sod's law. Hopefully I can repeat that on my legend run.

update: did it first time. Spamned ryus teleport kick over and over......but I feel no shame :)

Did someone say photomode? I've been playing around with it a bit. It's not quite as good as the one in DOA4 due to the lack of motion blur, but taking full screen shots and the ability to pause the scene makes up for it.

ALBUMMJ26F2210006027066.jpg

ALBUMMK04D3928006012073.jpg

ALBUMMK04E3510006014144.jpg

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Did someone say photomode? I've been playing around with it a bit. It's not quite as good as the one in DOA4 due to the lack of motion blur, but taking full screen shots and the ability to pause the scene makes up for it.

ALBUMMJ26F2210006027066.jpg

ALBUMMK04D3928006012073.jpg

ALBUMMK04E3510006014144.jpg

You can quote them you know? XD

Astery

I want to post some of mine but realized I couldn't export the pics into xmb like say MGS4 or GT5. What the hell Team Ninja :(.

If there's one single graphical complaint I have to narrow DoA5 down to it's the varied texture on the actual fucking ground. On some levels they look like PS2 textures and begs me to ask: why use a so bad texture on something so obvious and centered on the screen.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, I would love it if the 360 version would get a little FXAA. Those shots would look much better.

Mr_eX

Last I checked I had about 600 matches with a 73% win rate. Still looking for good people to play with.

Yesterday I started joining random games, picked Hayate and then just kept repeatedly doing his sidestep move(2 or 8p+k) which you can hit P after to do a stun punch but I was just doing the sidestep part. I was dodging 90% of their attacks, full strings in some cases. I thought it was hilarious. You can't do it against Lisa and Ayane though since all of their moves have insane tracking.

Mesharey

I played around 100 on Xbox and 100 on PS3, I have a percentage of winning in PS3 of %85 and %55 on Xbox, where is the problem lol. :p

Alx

Finally beat Legend Survival mode this morning. Huge relief.
(...)

*pics of almost nude Lisa*

Yeah, I don't think I'll go for it. Not only may I lack the patience, but if I ever unlock that swimsuit, I'll never be able to use it without being ashame of myself. :p

Just in here to state that I really like DoA5 and I'm glad to see a mostly serious discussion about the game here. Also, I haven't even tried to get Lisa's suit yet for I have too much pressure in life as is right now so I don't want to frustrate myself at this moment (did get Tina and Christie, though, but I don't think this is any special).

Until now, I only played somewhere around 20 games online, luckily the majority of them worked well in regard to connection (the instants where it didn't work were horrible experiences though). Mostly been hanging out in story mode and single player, unlocking things and playing around with different characters. Hopefully, when I decide that it's time to play online more a patch will have taken care of the issues that plague it according to reports in this thread.

As for the earlier discussion/hopes of Momiji or Rachel being in the game... I actually would prefer Muramasa here:
Muramasa_NG3.png

While mostly a cameo side character in DoA and Ninja Gaiden
(though he appeared in one of the cutscenes in DoA5, which made me happy :D)
he had his badass moments in the past
Ninja Gaiden 2 Muramasa >>>> all the Ninjas!
. I think he would prove to be quite a unique addition to the game or at least amusing fanservice instead of sexy fanservice for once.
Since he is slow when fighting because of his age, but uses very fast and well-aimed strong attacks with a certain rhythm... We already have some slower characters with either more powers or good juggling opportunities, I think Muramasa could be a character very dependent on aimed strikes and exact conters. Maybe I'm totally wrong though and I realise he is mostly a swordmaster...

Well,I hope I find the time to play this game some more soon...

A.E Suggs

Wolfkrone was an online player first before he started going to tourney's. In fact there's a couple of people who started online during 09 and go to tourney's now so online does help, just not doa5 online.

I agree. DOA just isn't as shiny and new as it was when I first got 4 and my 360. I still prefer the old look to the new. I can't stand jaggies.

He said online not the new look of the game, the majority of DOA fans actually prefer the new look to the old. I'd take jaggies over the old doll look it was time for a change. DOA4 is still by far a terrible game and still to me the worst DOA.

Skilletor

I agree. DOA just isn't as shiny and new as it was when I first got 4 and my 360. I still prefer the old look to the new. I can't stand jaggies.

Misplaced modifier. This game isn't as good online as DoA2U or 4.

It is, imo, the best DoA yet. Graphically I'd only put SC5 above it this gen, and even then I'd have to start tallying certain areas.

PC Port plz.

MrMephistoX

Wolfkrone was an online player first before he started going to tourney's. In fact there's a couple of people who started online during 09 and go to tourney's now so online does help, just not doa5 online.

He said online not the new look of the game, the majority of DOA fans actually prefer the new look to the old. I'd take jaggies over the old doll look it was time for a change. DOA4 is still by far a terrible game and still to me the worst DOA.

I'd still love to see some of the DOA4 stages as DLC though.

Top Bottom