• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

DrDogg

Must you? Really? Because it sounds like you're just being mean, and what you just said is pretty much the definition of raining on someone's parade.

Look at it from the other player's point of view. I know when I play online and I get beat because the other player didn't bother respecting frame data and just mashed his way to victory (or tried his hardest, but was clearly not good at the game), it's frustrating. That frustration is multiplied when they scroll down to "Save Replay" as if they accomplished something with that win. Take the same opponent offline and I would slaughter them.

I don't mind losing, it's online. But I'm not a fan of people thinking online wins mean anything. So I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just putting things in perspective.

That type of post really bugs me... I agree with you.

And the type of post I originally quoted really bugs me.

Wolfkrone was an online player first before he started going to tourney's. In fact there's a couple of people who started online during 09 and go to tourney's now so online does help, just not doa5 online.

Online in SF4 is nothing like online in DOA5. SF4 online isn't perfect, but it's leagues above DOA and you can actually learn from it. Online in DOA just makes people who are good offline, worse.

I am very much of the mindset that frame data is different online compared to offline (in DOA5). It's not just the lag or the input delay, I think the frame data actually changes. I can't punish hardly anything online. You can't say the same thing about SF4.

That said, I don't recall stating that it was impossible for an online player to be good. I only said you shouldn't assume they're good or that their rank indicates their skill. Right now I'm a B- on PS3 and a C on 360, but my win percentage is 75% or higher on both platforms despite the fact that I basically have to just mash online.

NeoGIF

Coming soon?

wykog.jpg

first hour playing online was terrible today. most people were lagging horribly and the other 20% with good connections were leaving after 2 fights, what the heck?

the next 2 hours were great though. good connections, long matches. i have a feeling these people will disappear the coming weeks. still looking for more people to add on euro PSN. drop me a pm or write here.

Is there a place where I can see the unlock conditions for all the costumes?

here http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/unlockables-thread-questions-answers.1316/

Just fought a Alpha online. Cheap ass character.

And I agree with Dr Dogg, online is a totally different game. I fought this Hitomi that would do a combo (unsafe move at the end) and after I block everything would mash out another combo with jab. The only thing I could beat her with was either to mash out my jab right away or do a low move that ducked her jab. Fustrating.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I wonder if there is a DAT converter to PNG or any other format...

EDIT: Converted and still same size. meh.

And the type of post I originally quoted really bugs me.

How does my post bug you? I was just saying how happy I was for winning a match. I'm not a button spammer, I had the same problem, I even uploaded videos of people doing that shit. You sound like you think my victory against a top player was because I spammed my way through the match. No I didn't.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I heard somewhere that it is possible to unlock alternate styles in costumes like Helena wearing glasses or Kasumi with her hair down? If true, how to do it?

A.E Suggs

Online in SF4 is nothing like online in DOA5. SF4 online isn't perfect, but it's leagues above DOA and you can actually learn from it. Online in DOA just makes people who are good offline, worse.

I am very much of the mindset that frame data is different online compared to offline (in DOA5). It's not just the lag or the input delay, I think the frame data actually changes. I can't punish hardly anything online. You can't say the same thing about SF4.

That said, I don't recall stating that it was impossible for an online player to be good. I only said you shouldn't assume they're good or that their rank indicates their skill. Right now I'm a B- on PS3 and a C on 360, but my win percentage is 75% or higher on both platforms despite the fact that I basically have to just mash online.

I know what you mean and yeah DOA5 online is just pure garbage, oh well maybe just maybe the patch will fix something.

Coming soon?

wykog.jpg

Where did that come from? Either way I'll take it, I lliked that costume.

Giolon

I heard somewhere that it is possible to unlock alternate styles in costumes like Helena wearing glasses or Kasumi with her hair down? If true, how to do it?

Once you've chosen a character, and you're making your costume selection

Hold left/right on the d-pad for eyewear (possibly hat toggle?)
Hold LB/RB (L1/R1) for Hairstyles
Press Punch/Throw/Hold for underwear

I kid you not. Not every option has an effect on every character or every costume.

Alx

Look at it from the other player's point of view. I know when I play online and I get beat because the other player didn't bother respecting frame data and just mashed his way to victory (or tried his hardest, but was clearly not good at the game), it's frustrating.
(...)
But I'm not a fan of people thinking online wins mean anything. So I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just putting things in perspective.

I really don't understand/appreciate this kind of point of view. Playing online may be a whole diffferent game than playing offline. But winning consistently online means you're consistently better than the other players online. Even if there are cheap ways to get there, both sides still enter the game at the same level, with the same rules. If you win against a high ranked online player, it means you were better than all the other opponents that lost against that same player, so there's nothing wrong in getting a little satisfaction from it. Even if the high ranked guy used cheap tactics, you still managed to defeat them, while the others didn't.

You're frustrated because you spent some time to master a technique that won't work online. Tough luck. All it means is that if someone who's good online may get slaughtered offline, the opposite is also true.

Most importantly, a fighting game is not about counting frame data. It's about fighting.

I really don't understand/appreciate this kind of point of view. Playing online may be a whole diffferent game than playing offline. But winning consistently online means you're consistently better than the other players online. Even if there are cheap ways to get there, both sides still enter the game at the same level, with the same rules. If you win against a high ranked online player, it means you were better than all the other opponents that lost against that same player, so there's nothing wrong in getting a little satisfaction from it. Even if the high ranked guy used cheap tactics, you still managed to defeat them, while the others didn't.

You're frustrated because you spent some time to master a technique that won't work online. Tough luck. All it means is that if someone who's good online may get slaughtered offline, the opposite is also true.

Most importantly, a fighting game is not about counting frame data. It's about fighting.

so you're okay with there being two distinct and different games, DOA5 and DOA5 Online?

man... ugh... i swear i read posts just like this 8 years ago on DOA Central!

Lisa's swimsuit is the Venus? :lol

Nah, Its the 'Mach' (on the left). Superior to the Venus IMO

DOAX2Mach.jpg
DOAX2Venus.jpg

Yeah, I don't think I'll go for it. Not only may I lack the patience, but if I ever unlock that swimsuit, I'll never be able to use it without being ashame of myself. :p

I guess it could be awkward using the Mach swimsuit in front of you mom, wife or kids. I have my own room for xbox, so it doesnt bother me, personally.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Once you've chosen a character, and you're making your costume selection

Hold left/right on the d-pad for eyewear (possibly hat toggle?)
Hold LB/RB (L1/R1) for Hairstyles
Press Punch/Throw/Hold for underwear

I kid you not
. Not every option has an effect on every character or every costume.

You know, since this is a DOA game the only way I consider you to be kidding is if you say they are not including that underwear thing, hahaha.

Ah, so it only works for certain customes only? Do you know where I can get a list of which costume has alternate style available?

Alx

so you're okay with there being two distinct and different games, DOA5 and DOA5 Online?

Yes, I suppose so. For me online experience always were different from offline anyway. If the rules change, change the way you play, or don't play. But don't scoff at those who decide to play (for the record, I mostly play offline myself, and I'm not very good online).
What irritated me most in the message I quoted is "the other player didn't bother respecting frame data". Like it's some sort of sacrilege, "I lost but the other player didn't play the way he should have". If frame data are not the same or ineffective online, then the player is right if he ignores them.

Nemesis_

Been playing this a bit since I got RE6 done and dusted, but MAN it's hard to get used to the Hold system. It feels like it's changed quite a bit since DOA4, no?

KSai

Been playing this a bit since I got RE6 done and dusted, but MAN it's hard to get used to the Hold system. It feels like it's changed quite a bit since DOA4, no?

It has changed a lot. The damage from holds has been super nerfed and attacks can actually stun. Can't win a match with just holds anymore.

Nemesis_

It has changed a lot. The damage from holds has been super nerfed and attacks can actually stun. Can't win a match with just holds anymore.

That's good, though. It was one of the best things about DOA4 (lots of accessibility) but also the worst (pretty unbalanced)

Mr_eX

I agree with you and would also like to add that there are other prominent members of the community that share DrDogg's snobbish attitude towards online play and it's hurting the community overall. Instead of nurturing the online players and bringing them over to the tournament scene you just hear them say something along the lines of "You're a scrub, if we played offline I'd destroy you" and then quit. It's hard to build a community when all the potential new players are treated with such hostility.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
New costume pack sounds great. Presuming it will be for the leftover characters from the first pack. Hopefully it's free as well, but I won't flip my shit if it's like $2 or $3.

But really, an online patch is the thing to anticipate. There's only been one patch, correct?

Mr_eX

From Team Ninja's twitter
また先日お伝えしていたオンライン機能改善の先行パッチですが、現在ハードメーカーのチェック中です。チェック終了次第配信予定ですので、もう少々お待ちください! #DOA5
1:49am - 10 Oct 12

Google translate
Patch is the leading online functional improvement that was to tell the other day, I am also currently checking of hardware manufacturers. Because as soon as the delivery is scheduled check, please wait a little longer! # DOA5 1:49 am - 10 Oct 12

MrMephistoX

I agree with you and would also like to add that there are other prominent members of the community that share DrDogg's snobbish attitude towards online play and it's hurting the community overall. Instead of nurturing the online players and bringing them over to the tournament scene you just hear them say something along the lines of "You're a scrub, if we played offline I'd destroy you" and then quit. It's hard to build a community when all the potential new players are treated with such hostility.

I've had fun with the online play in many fighters that hardcore tourney players consider to be "unplayable" and I could care less about counting frames and memorizing the perfect combo. Just learn enough to get by without just mashing buttons (that gets boring anyway) and have fun it's a game, by definition a leisurely distraction from the hum drum of daily life and it need not be a full time chore like the tourney scene players make it out to be. Playing against tourney players isn't much fun anyway since the average player has zero chance of winning: I'd rather spend my time memorizing useful information for my career or masters degree.

MrMephistoX

COME ON TEAM NINJA GIVE ME A HAYABUSA OUTFIT WITHOUT THE COWL!

If current trends stand I'd love to see his DOA2 outfit.

My full wishlist for DLC includes classic stages - though I find it odd that not a single online fighter with DLC has offered this- Ein, Momoichi, Leon and maybe Rachel.

Dantis

Looking forward to the patch. At certain times I can only find players from other regions, and my games go a bit hit and miss.

DrDogg

And here we go again with the tournament players vs. the casual players. Fun times... -_-

How does my post bug you? I was just saying how happy I was for winning a match. I'm not a button spammer, I had the same problem, I even uploaded videos of people doing that shit. You sound like you think my victory against a top player was because I spammed my way through the match. No I didn't.

The intent behind the post is fine. I'm happy that you were able to beat that player. It's the general argument behind the post that bugs me. For all I know that player may have been really, really good and you fought hard to win the match. But in most cases that's not how it goes, and it's those instances that bug me.

Yes, I suppose so. For me online experience always were different from offline anyway. If the rules change, change the way you play, or don't play. But don't scoff at those who decide to play (for the record, I mostly play offline myself, and I'm not very good online).
What irritated me most in the message I quoted is "the other player didn't bother respecting frame data". Like it's some sort of sacrilege, "I lost but the other player didn't play the way he should have". If frame data are not the same or ineffective online, then the player is right if he ignores them.

You may be happy with two different games, but I'm not. SC5 is not two different games. Neither is TTT2 or VF5FS. Why should we accept DOA5 being two different games? I'm quite sure the developers didn't want it that way. It hurts the game overall because people can't practice for tournaments and therefore the competitive scene dies and the game dies much faster than it should have.

Where is this new online frame data that I can reference? The problem with the frame data being off is that almost everything is safe and/or advantage online, when it's extremely punishable offline.

When Helena does PPP and I block it, I get a guaranteed throw offline. Online, not only does the throw not work, but half the time the Helena player's 11-frame jab beats out my 10-frame jab. So we went from Helena being at -9 and throw punishable to suddenly being at least somewhere in the realm of +2.

If that's going to be the case then it should at least be listed somewhere, especially in a game where most of the frame data is available in the game.

Perhaps you should read what I'm saying instead of calling me snobbish and saying I'm hurting the community? Your words hurt the community more than mine. I'm actually willing to travel, but not with online being the way it is. I doubt many people who are "offended" by my "snobbish" comments were ever planning to travel at all. I've also done far more to help this community than you and most others have so let's not get into that debate, okay?

I have no problem with people playing the game online and being happy about their wins. That's great! More power to them. My issue is when people make a big deal about beating a higher ranked player online. It's one thing to say, "I beat an S-ranked player yesterday, it was a good match". But that's not what normally happens. It usually comes off as, "I beat an S-ranked player who was really good because he was S-ranked, and I was able to beat him, which means that I'm a better player. I should post this win on YouTube to show everyone I'm better!"

Now that may not have been the case with the original post I quoted, but that's usually how things go. When that happens, I"m going to enlighten the online player about lag and how it changes the game. Most of the time these players don't even acknowledge lag and consider it the same as playing offline.

I'd rather spend my time memorizing useful information for my career or masters degree.

Because it's impossible to have a career and be good at a fighting game? -_-

Fun is a relative term. To some people, just barely getting by in a fighting game is fun. To others, learning everything they can about the game is how they have fun.

Vazra

Besides fixing the online there are things I want fixed.
Language Voices
Freezes on Tutorial
Freezes Online
The Picture files make them PNG.
Helena buffs
Lisa Buffs
Zack Buffs
Ayane Nerf
Jann Lee Nerf
Ryu Nerf
There might be more things but those are the ones popping on my head.

I love the game but there are always things than can be fixed.
I'm crazy I know

galvatron

So I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just putting things in perspective.
In your perspective. In another person's perspective traveling to play a tourney in a game where there's no significant expectation of a big payout might be considered a loss from the start. They'd be just as rude for saying that in response to a post about your tourney accomplishments as you were to the guy who was happy to get a win over a highly ranked online player. It's not so much tourney vs casual as it is pushing your value system on someone, unsolicited, in response to their expressing that they were pleased with their outcome that bothered me.

Pretty widespread phenomenon, which is why I don't post all that much...

Vossler

If current trends stand I'd love to see his DOA2 outfit.

My full wishlist for DLC includes classic stages - though I find it odd that not a single online fighter with DLC has offered this- Ein, Momoichi, Leon and maybe Rachel.

I'm kinda hoping that they go for the long haired look from DOA4, I think it was. All black costume with his hair unbound.

Vazra

No one needs to be nerfed aside from the Ayane 66KK frame advantage ridiculousness.

May I ask which changes would you like to happen besides the online?

I like these kind of conversations since it might make me see things I didnt noticed.

Top Bottom