• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Mr_eX

I agree that characters don't need to be nerfed but some characters should be buffed. Hitomi could be safer, Brad Wong needs something to help him deal with mid spam characters, Bass' ground pick up should be guaranteed after certain moves.

people talking about nerfs already? lol?

Also competitive players should not even consider talking with casual players. It is a headache waiting to happen. The two groups do not mesh together at all.

When you play online, you have to play dumber, not smarter. Playing smarter will get you losses. But playing like a retard will get you wins. Now the reason why playing dumber will get you wins is because people online make the dumbest choices and because you only have 1 game 1 set to "win" it becomes harder for the smarter player.

This is evident in almost every other fighter. In other fighters, you can bet that a shoto player will dp on wakeup almost everytime, in DOA you can bet people mash buttons on wakeup, in P4A you can bet Yu's will full screen slide and dp on wakeup.

I find it funny how people act like competitive players all count frames and whatnot. No, competitive players do not all count frames or memorize frame data. What they do know is what is the best option given a situation and choosing correctly based on their opponents' actions. This can be as simple as knowing what is unsafe and what is safe, or knowing if an opponent likes pressing buttons regardless of whats happening. Online is bad because you only have 1 game 1 set, which rewards dumber play.

MrMephistoX

people talking about nerfs already? lol?

Also competitive players should not even consider talking with casual players. It is a headache waiting to happen. The two groups do not mesh together at all.

When you play online, you have to play dumber, not smarter. Playing smarter will get you losses. But playing like a retard will get you wins. Now the reason why playing dumber will get you wins is because people online make the dumbest choices and because you only have 1 game 1 set to "win" it becomes harder for the smarter player.

This is evident in almost every other fighter. In other fighters, you can bet that a shoto player will dp on wakeup almost everytime, in DOA you can bet people mash buttons on wakeup, in P4A you can bet Yu's will full screen slide and dp on wakeup.

I find it funny how people act like competitive players all count frames and whatnot. No, competitive players do not all count frames or memorize frame data. What they do know is what is the best option given a situation and choosing correctly based on their opponents' actions. This can be as simple as knowing what is unsafe and what is safe, or knowing if an opponent likes pressing buttons regardless of whats happening. Online is bad because you only have 1 game 1 set, which rewards dumber play.

It may be dumber but it's more fun in my opinion. I actually like player matches where people are willing to pick multiple characters and just mess around instead of maining the same character over and over again and racking up meaningless wins. Tourney players shouldn't even bother with online play as it's catering to a completely different audience and will inevitably lead to boredom on their part and frustration on the part of people like me who don't take it that seriously. Live and let live.

It may be dumber but it's more fun in my opinion. I actually like player matches where people are willing to pick multiple characters and just mess around instead of maining the same character over and over again and racking up meaningless wins. Tourney players shouldn't even bother with online play as it's catering to a completely different audience and will inevitably lead to boredom on their part and frustration on the part of people like me who don't take it that seriously. Live and let live.

That whole bold sentence is flawed. Its assuming that competitive players only play one character.

Let me name some top players.

Justin Wong: (SF4) Adon, Rufus, Cammy, Yang. (MvC3) Wolverine, storm, akuma, frank west, Iron Fist, Spiderman, Felicia, Wesker, She-hulk.

Pr Rog: (SF4) Yang, Balrog, T. Hawk (MvC3) Vergil, Dante, Strider, Felicia, Wolverine, Tron, Doom, Wesker, Rocket Raccoon.

Chris G: (SF4) Yang, Sakura. (MvC3) Ryu, Wesker, Firebrand, Hawkeye, Morrigan, Doom, Akuma, Magneto, Sentinel, Ammy, and more (P4A) Elizabeth, Mitsuru. (MK9) Noob Saibot, Reptile.

Bala: (KOF13) The whole entire cast

Kayane: (SC5) Leixia, Viola. (DOA) Ayane, Kasumi, Kokoro.

This is why Casual and Competitive players can never get along. They assume shit about each other without any basis.

First we got that competitive players count frames, memorize phd formula combos and memorize frame data.

Then we got competitive players play one character.

O and competitive players take away the fun of the game away because fighting games are about "fighting" and not memorizing numbers.

I bet the next one is that top players only pick the best character.

Skilletor

VF5:FS
SC5
TTT2
P4A
Blazblue
SF4
Marvel Origins
Skullgirls
GGPO

etc, etc, etc,

All say you're wrong. Online is there for the players who want to play a game longer than the 1 month it takes for 98% of people to drop it.

And it's only meaningless if you're not learning anything.

Also Tourney players =/= people that want to constantly improve at whatever they play. Some people aren't satisfied staying at the same skill level and strive to improve.

MrMephistoX

That whole bold sentence is flawed. Its assuming that competitive players only play one character.

Let me name some top players.

Justin Wong: (SF4) Adon, Rufus, Cammy, Yang. (MvC3) Wolverine, storm, akuma, frank west, Iron Fist, Spiderman, Felicia, Wesker, She-hulk.

Pr Rog: (SF4) Yang, Balrog, T. Hawk (MvC3) Vergil, Dante, Strider, Felicia, Wolverine, Tron, Doom, Wesker, Rocket Raccoon.

Chris G: (SF4) Yang, Sakura. (MvC3) Ryu, Wesker, Firebrand, Hawkeye, Morrigan, Doom, Akuma, Magneto, Sentinel, Ammy, and more (P4A) Elizabeth, Mitsuru. (MK9) Noob Saibot, Reptile.

Bala: (KOF13) The whole entire cast

Kayane: (SC5) Leixia, Viola. (DOA) Ayane, Kasumi, Kokoro.

This is why Casual and Competitive players can never get along. They assume shit about each other without any basis.

First we got that competitive players count frames, memorize phd formula combos and memorize frame data.

Then we got competitive players play one character.

O and competitive players take away the fun of the game away because fighting games are about "fighting" and not memorizing numbers.

I bet the next one is that top players only pick the best character.

Sorry for the misunderstanding I wasn't talking about tournament players but rather people who are tournament level (or apsire to be) who do that online. Luckily DOA has been pretty varied for me but I got extremely tired of facing nothing but Shotos online in SSFIV.

Skilletor

Sorry for the misunderstanding I wasn't talking about tournament players but rather people who are tournament level (or apsire to be) who do that online. Luckily DOA has been pretty varied for me but I got extremely tired of facing nothing but Shotos online in SSFIV.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the people choosing shotos in SF4 are horrible players who play Ken/Ryu because they're familiar, easy characters.

Arguing about tournament crap nobody cares about, apparently.

This is funny considering DOA5 was trying hard to convince people that it is a competitive fighter. Makes it even more funny that gaf ran a tournament for DOA, and that you have people in the competitive scene that care in order to keep the game alive but I guess they are nobodies. RIP DOA5 IPL. You did so well but nobody cares, maybe that explains the low viewer count.

You get that Skilletor, and Dogg. You guys are nobodies and nobody should care about your competitiveness. Stop trying to ruin another game with your frames data exploitation. You guys already ruined Smash Brothers.

Dantis

This is funny considering DOA5 was trying hard to convince people that it is a competitive fighter. Makes it even more funny that gaf ran a tournament for DOA, and that you have people in the competitive scene that care in order to keep the game alive but I guess they are nobodies. RIP DOA5 IPL. You did so well but nobody cares, maybe that explains the low viewer count.

You get that Skilletor, and Dogg. You guys are nobodies and nobody should care about your competitiveness. Stop trying to ruin another game with your frames data exploitation. You guys already ruined Smash Brothers.

Good one.

I was referring to this whole dumb conversation that started because Dogg jumped on someone who was proud that he beat the 16th ranked player.

Skilletor

I just want to be able to play this game with other people. :(

29glb7l.gif

I'm building a local scene, but I'm a lot better than anybody here who wants to play DoA. :/

I have like 100 more vids to cap, but it's all me bodying people and that's just boring.

Dantis

29glb7l.gif

I'm building a local scene, but I'm a lot better than anybody here who wants to play DoA. :/

I have like 100 more vids to cap, but it's all me bodying people and that's just boring.

Well... You never know... The patch might completely fix online for you...

Or maybe not.

Dantis

To be honest, I am actually hopeful that it fixes things. I'm just not getting my hopes up too much, only to then be let down.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

29glb7l.gif

I'm sure you'll manage; Jack Bauer sure did after that incident.

Endo Punk

I am still an F rank because I don't want to touch ranked until the next patch which I'm hoping will fix it for the better. But I do have close to 300 regular online matches. I think at least 200 are with Brad Wong, I do enjoy playing with Lisa and Jann but I just love how Brad flows.

Trying to unlock Alpha as well because I don't think I can beat survival champ let alone legend without spamming her moves. There is just absolutely no way I can get the swimsuits with normal means, the AI is absolutely brutal with the holds.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I am still an F rank because I don't want to touch ranked until the next patch which I'm hoping will fix it for the better. But I do have close to 300 regular online matches. I think at least 200 are with Brad Wong, I do enjoy playing with Lisa and Jann but I just love how Brad flows.

Trying to unlock Alpha as well because I don't think I can beat survival champ let alone legend without spamming her moves. There is just absolutely no way I can get the swimsuits with normal means, the AI is absolutely brutal with the holds.

Do all Characters Command Training, On Vs set health on the lowers and you can easily do each character Power Blow, Grapple or Strike on the stage cliffhanger.

you have 23 characters already Counting Power Blows, Command Training, Cliffhanger grapple and cliffhanger strike 4X23= 92
Add the using each character once =23
Story Mode MIssions + Chapters = Around 89
Arcade Solo and Tag=16
Time Attack Solo and Tag=16
Survival Solo and Tag= 16
There are some that are unlocked by just playing which I think= 24
Play 50 each character = 23 (Time Consuming)
Unlocking each character costumes 23
Win Online once with each character 23

345 that are easy to do(For most of the part) without taking that much time. (Ignore the play each character 50,100, etc times.

still haven't used the CE coupon. can others see the costumes when i use those? just curious, because i never encountered them online.

Nope if they dont download the content they can't see it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Sorry but the hair gives me fake vibes and the texture of the clothes and geometry looks super cheap compared to others. Also the skin looks weird.

Maybe someone is doing mods or ripping models and posing them

Alx

You may be happy with two different games, but I'm not. SC5 is not two different games. Neither is TTT2 or VF5FS. Why should we accept DOA5 being two different games? I'm quite sure the developers didn't want it that way. It hurts the game overall because people can't practice for tournaments and therefore the competitive scene dies and the game dies much faster than it should have.

You may be bitter against the developers for not meeting your expectations... just don't direct your bile against those who decided to play the game as it is.

Dantis

The shirtless Kasumi looks fake to me, but I think the Tina catsuit is real, and the one of Kasumi in overalls with a shirt is obviously real (Those last two were leaked by the same guy, I might add, and he leaked the previous DLC too).

Alx

If the overall+shirt suit is real, I think it's very probable that the shirtless one is a "panty-variant" of it (just like you can remove Christie's bra when you select her C1 costume with Y).

Top Bottom