• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Dantis

If the overall+shirt suit is real, I think it's very probable that the shirtless one is a "panty-variant" of it (just like you can remove Christie's bra when you select her C1 costume with Y).

Couple of interesting notes about it:

1) That render is definitely not in-game. The skin shader and the hair are completely wrong. It is possible, however, that it's a screen-cap from one of the artists from within 3DS or Maya or whatever.

2) That variant of the overalls is not the one from DOAU. The legs on it are shorts, as they were in DOA1. In DOAU they were full length.

3) The texture work looks different between the two shots, with the in-game one being notably higher res, and the actual texture-work is different.

I'll be interested to see if it's real or not. If it is, it will be a full costume variant, not a button-switch. I feel sure of that.

It may be dumber but it's more fun in my opinion. I actually like player matches where people are willing to pick multiple characters and just mess around instead of maining the same character over and over again and racking up meaningless wins. Tourney players shouldn't even bother with online play as it's catering to a completely different audience and will inevitably lead to boredom on their part and frustration on the part of people like me who don't take it that seriously. Live and let live.

playing a bunch of characters and not knowing what the fuck you're doing with any of them is boring. aka button mashing and getting away with shit.

playing someone who is able to utilize one character to their full potential (or at least attempt to) feels more rewarding when/if you beat that person. aka someone who put the time to learn match ups and whatnot.

but whatever floats your boat man. with your mentality games like mvc2 should have died long ago...

MrMephistoX

playing a bunch of characters and not knowing what the fuck you're doing with any of them is boring. aka button mashing and getting away with shit.

playing someone who is able to utilize one character to their full potential (or at least attempt to) feels more rewarding when/if you beat that person. aka someone who put the time to learn match ups and whatnot.

but whatever floats your boat man. with your mentality games like mvc2 should have died long ago...

Umm okay so you automatically assume I mean button mashing? I like to learn a few useful moves and combos for each of the characters but find it boring just sticking with one and becoming absolutely perfect: and with DOA you don't have to do that to play decently IMHO contrary to street fighter where there are so many buffs to shotos and nerfs to practically everyone else that you almost have to master a single character or get destroyed. Did that with Chun Li anyway.

Umm okay so you automatically assume I mean button mashing? I like to learn a few useful moves and combos for each of the characters but find it boring just sticking with one and becoming absolutely perfect:

the way you explained yourself made it seem that way. you probably do know a couple of moves, fine. but once you find yourself in an unfamiliar situation against someone that knows their matchups, i bet you'll be button mashing to get back to your comfort zone.

and with DOA you don't have to do that to play decently IMHO contrary to street fighter where there are so many buffs to shotos and nerfs to practically everyone else that you almost have to master a single character or get destroyed. Did that with Chun Li anyway.

you feel more comfortable with sf, as do i, but it imo the same principle applies to DOA. i find myself spending time with one or two characters trying to learn their shit instead of starting from square one everytime i pick a new character. the time it takes to learn even the basics of a new character is time that could be put towards learning THE one character

and just to clarify your statement on shotos, the entire cast has buffs/nerfs; it's because of those buffs/nerfs that make it important (imo) to learn the properties of one or two characters.

Endo Punk

*Shakes Fist* Brad Wong better get his suave DOA4 outfit.

I really hope the patch is done for early next week too, and it fixes everything!

Endo Punk

Done practice mode with every character(Ryu with his Izuna throws and Akira with his precise moves proving the most difficult) and unlocked all costumes for my 3 main; Lisa, Brad and Jann. Well not all for Lisa because I am missing the swimsuit. Also managed 319 fights. I am getting pretty good with the holds, I think I have sixth sense for predicting what kick the opponent will do once he is down. I get it like 9/10 times.

so is this just useless costume DLC, no substiantial patch with bug fixes?

Done practice mode with every character(Ryu with his Izuna throws and Akira with his precise moves proving the most difficult) and unlocked all costumes for my 3 main; Lisa, Brad and Jann. Well not all for Lisa because I am missing the swimsuit. Also managed 319 fights. I am getting pretty good with the holds, I think I have sixth sense for predicting what kick the opponent will do once he is down. I get it like 9/10 times.

just missing the alpha one here. i think these are piss easy if you're used to 2D FG trials.

Squire

Banned
so is this just useless costume DLC, no substiantial patch with bug fixes?

just missing the alpha one here. i think these are piss easy if you're used to 2D FG trials.

Costume DLC. The patch is seperate. Those don't appear in content listings for storefronts and the only DLC they're putting out is costume packs.

Got this game today and got through Story Mode. I'm liking Akira a lot so I think I'm gonna main him (since the assholes took out Ein). I'm not having that much trouble at all with his inputs thanks to playing a ton of Alpha Pat in Soul Calibur V. XD

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So guys, I want to ask something. I can't seem to select alternative styles in costumes such as hair down or glasses and such... do they require certain requirements such as maybe clearing the story mode first or something...? No matter what I press left or right on D-Pad or all the trigger buttons there is no alternative style available... am I missing something here?

Alx

I don't think there's any requirement... Are you sure you press a direction/button on the costume selection, and not earlier/later ? Make sure you keep it pressed while selecting (for example hold Left and RB and the press A/X/Y to validate the costume).
Not all characters and costumes have alternate modes, too.

So guys, I want to ask something. I can't seem to select alternative styles in costumes such as hair down or glasses and such... do they require certain requirements such as maybe clearing the story mode first or something...? No matter what I press left or right on D-Pad or all the trigger buttons there is no alternative style available... am I missing something here?

hold left or right for glasses when selecting. L1/R1 for hair/hats. you'll hear a different sound cue when successful. triangle is for underwear i think.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't think there's any requirement... Are you sure you press a direction/button on the costume selection, and not earlier/later ? Make sure you keep it pressed while selecting (for example hold Left and RB and the press A/X/Y to validate the costume).
Not all characters and costumes have alternate modes, too.

hold left or right for glasses when selecting. L1/R1 for hair/hats. you'll hear a different sound cue when successful. triangle is for underwear i think.

Wait, left and RB? So I have to push them both together?

Can you guys give me an example of a costume that has alternate style so I can try it and which button to push to activate it, please? Thanks :)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
yes, hold left and press your button for glasses on helena, christie, hitomi etc. just triangle is enough for different underwear.

Ahhhh so left or right plus various buttons then?

No wonder I never got it around to work, since I thought I only need to press left or right or the trigger buttons one at a time and not together...

Alx

Wait, left and RB? So I have to push them both together?

Can you guys give me an example of a costume that has alternate style so I can try it and which button to push to activate it, please? Thanks :)

If you want both modifications, yes you have to hold both, but only one should be enough.
An easy one to check if you're doing it right is with Christie and her C1 costume : hold left and select with Y, she should be wearing sunglasses (left) and won't be wearing her bra (Y).
For hair, another easy one to check is Helena, hold LB or RB while selecting, and she should have loose hair instead of a ponytail.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If you want both modifications, yes you have to hold both, but only one should be enough.
An easy one to check if you do it right is for Christie and her C1 costume : hold left and select with Y, she should be wearing sunglasses (left) and won't be wearing her bra (Y).
For hair, another easy one to check is Helena, hold LB or RB while selecting, and she should have loose hair instead of a ponytail.

Ah ok thanks, does Kasumi and Leifang has alternate styles? I'll try it when I go back home thanks.

Alx

I'm not sure for the hairstyles, but they had different ones in the previous DOA games so I suppose it's still true.
You can have them wearing glasses (meh), and I think the button used for selection changes the color of their panties, so it's rather pointless.

Dantis

So I got up to B- last night. Slow and steady wins the race!

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the DLC. Hopefully that guy on DOAWorld will leak some more.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Aaaah so that's why I am confused why the alternate glasses/hairstyles do not appear! They only do so on the fighting field and not during the costume preview at character selection! *smacks head*

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Aaaah so that's why I am confused why the alternate glasses/hairstyles do not appear! They only do so on the fighting field and not during the costume preview at character selection! *smacks head*

Yeah, it's a little weird that it doesn't show up on character select. I blame that on the slow loading.

Galdelico

Trying the Legend modes at the moment, just to see if I'm any able to get the special swimsuits... I'm playing normally so far (as in no Hayabusa spam) and damn it's hard. CPU reads my mind apparently. :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Trying the Legend modes at the moment, just to see if I'm any able to get the special swimsuit... I'm playing normally so far and damn it's hard. CPU reads my mind apparently. :D

I tried Champ survival. 4Y+B (er-"P+K") Ryu did work (because it's his Critical Burst?) but you have to time it and if they get around it you're toast. I can't imagine Legend Survival at that rate. :(

I tried Champ survival. 4Y+B (er-"P+K") Ryu did work (because it's his Critical Burst?) but you have to time it and if they get around it you're toast. I can't imagine Legend Survival at that rate. :(

Fortunately, Legend Survival is the same as Champ, in my experience. It would pretty much be impossible otherwise.

Endo Punk

Started using Hitomi and I gotta say I really don't care if they bring Ein back or not. Hitomi already has all his moves and is of course much cuter. And seriously, I love the attention to detail on the character models. Seeing Hitomi's white top become transparent as the fight goes on... Nicely done without being overly sexual.

Also why is it that people in my friends list think Im jerking off when they see DOA under my PSNID -_- I actually prefer the male characters! It's like they don't get any acknowledgement which is a shame because I feel Jann Lee is the best Jeet Kun Do character of any game(without coming off as a clone) and Brad Wang has an awesome personality.

louie

Stumbled upon a bunch of untechable set-ups with Eliot today. Most of them guarantee his downed 2p attack, but if I go for it then I can't avoid the wake-up kick. If I don't go for the 2p attack I can backdash out of the way and fully charge a powerblow while the opponent does the wake-up kick. Other than that they're pretty useless :/

Edit: Also, to expand on the above, I've been having some fun by doing Eliot's 236h+p and follwing up with pp, 2P+K. It's a combo that will force-tech all weight classes, and while it doesn't guarantee anything, it will put the opponent in a situation were their fastest possible strike would come out in 26 frames (assuming they're a 9 frame jabber). It's a pretty good mix-up game to play at the wall, as Eliot can knock them into it with just about anything he wants at that point.

Ninja Dom

Another question. Game says I need an Online Pass to play online. But I've played online just fine without one in the past.

Then I turned my Throwdown challenges to off while playing arcade mode.

Now I can't play online when I turn Throwdown back on. What's up with that??

Just found my online pass on the back of my manual.

Mesharey

Another question. Game says I need an Online Pass to play online. But I've played online just fine without one in the past.

Then I turned my Throwdown challenges to off while playing arcade mode.

Now I can't play online when I turn Throwdown back on. What's up with that??

Just found my online pass on the back of my manual.
The game gives you two trial days for online.

Loona

Stumbled upon a bunch of untechable set-ups with Eliot today. Most of them guarantee his downed 2p attack, but if I go for it then I can't avoid the wake-up kick. If I don't go for the 2p attack I can backdash out of the way and fully charge a powerblow while the opponent does the wake-up kick. Other than that they're pretty useless :/

I like using his 7K flip kick on downed opponents to hit them while moving away - probably not as damaging, but feels safer.

louie

I wasn't aware you could still do that. Are you using an untechable set-up first to keep the opponent on the ground, or are they just not tech rolling fast enough whenever they fall? In doa4 he could force tech with it and end up a full screen away from the opponent, due to both characters being sent in two different directions.

Endo Punk

HA! I predicted every wake up attack online using holds and beat the guy without getting a single hit. I felt sort of bad lol, but then he should of known better. After the 3rd wake up (fail)kick the pattern should of been obvious.

Vlaphor

Trying the Legend modes at the moment, just to see if I'm any able to get the special swimsuits... I'm playing normally so far (as in no Hayabusa spam) and damn it's hard. CPU reads my mind apparently. :D

I don't think it's your mind the cpu is reading...

Just cheese your way through the challenges. If the computer wants to cheat like it does, show it who can cheat harder.

Endo Punk

Fuck the in game swimsuits. I tried the Hayabusa and Lei Fang method, Lisa combo but nothing works. The AI is savage on Legend, completely cruel and heartless.

Started using Hitomi and I gotta say I really don't care if they bring Ein back or not. Hitomi already has all his moves and is of course much cuter. And seriously, I love the attention to detail on the character models. Seeing Hitomi's white top become transparent as the fight goes on... Nicely done without being overly sexual.

Also why is it that people in my friends list think Im jerking off when they see DOA under my PSNID -_- I actually prefer the male characters! It's like they don't get any acknowledgement which is a shame because I feel Jann Lee is the best Jeet Kun Do character of any game(without coming off as a clone) and Brad Wang has an awesome personality.

Top Bottom