• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Plus |OT| ( + )( + )

This is how you port a fighter to the Vita. They did a hell of a job.

Sure, you can see the downgrades, but while playing they don't spoil the action. Mortal Kombat last year was so much worse in this regard as the visuals were downgraded to the point of becoming distracting.

Apart from the character visuals, Mortal Kombat did a hell of a job on the Vita. And I wouldn't even call them distracting, they were just not good. But you can't really blame them. They ported UE3 to the Vita in a relatively short amount of time. Their next Vita fighter will probably be much better (Injustice, maybe? Is it coming to Vita?)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Apart from the character visuals, Mortal Kombat did a hell of a job on the Vita. And I wouldn't even call them distracting, they were just not good. But you can't really blame them. They ported UE3 to the Vita in a relatively short amount of time. Their next Vita fighter will probably be much better (Injustice, maybe? Is it coming to Vita?)
The problem is that so much was sacrificed in bringing it to Vita that the end results ended up looking flat out ugly. The low resolution combined with super low-poly character models really hurt the experience. Capcom's two fighters were infinitely more impressive as is DOA5.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I dunno, all the fighters ported so far have their pros and cons.

The problem is that so much was sacrificed in bringing it to Vita that the end results ended up looking flat out ugly. The low resolution combined with super low-poly character models really hurt the experience. Capcom's two fighters were infinitely more impressive as is DOA5.

Capcom's fighters (MvC for sure, not positive about SFxT) used MT Framework, which was an engine meant to be ported to portable devices (MT worked hella wonders on the PSP). NR had to port UE3 to the Vita themselves. Did they make the right choice scaling down the character models that much? No, not at all, but I wouldn't say it hurt the experience all that much. It still ran at an amazing framerate and the included Vita bonuses were fantastic.

matmanx1

Anyone tried the online this morning? I'm off of work today so it would be great if I could play online with some consistency.

I'm glad I waited for a demo and didn't just blindly purchase this when it came out.

I've never played a DOA game before and the learning curve seems EXTREMELY steep. I spent a good half hour in practice mode getting my bearings, learning a lot of good combo's, and even chaining a few together. I then proceeded to get absolutely demolished by the computer AI opponent on the lowest difficulty setting..... wtf?

Any tips for a beginner? I want to give it another chance because the game seems really solid, but I think the learning curve may be a bit too steep.

I'm glad I waited for a demo and didn't just blindly purchase this when it came out.

I've never played a DOA game before and the learning curve seems EXTREMELY steep. I spent a good half hour in practice mode getting my bearings, learning a lot of good combo's, and even chaining a few together. I then proceeded to get absolutely demolished by the computer AI opponent on the lowest difficulty setting..... wtf?

Any tips for a beginner? I want to give it another chance because the game seems really solid, but I think the learning curve may be a bit too steep.

I'm finding it slightly tougher and DOA5 in general seems to be a little more difficult in the counter territory.

GorillaJu

It's definitely harder to beat the AI as a newb in DOA, but it's one of the most fun to play with other newbs. The counter system is easy to understand and you'll be able to deal with cheap shit your friends come up with. Or online newbs too I'm sure

You can really see where they couldn't bring over the full graphics when you compare Ryu's main costume on PS3 and PSVita. Vita's looks flat and painted on, on PS3 it looks fully 3D and reflects light.

synce

Don't bother with the DOA AI!! In a typical fighting game you can land one hit on the AI and it will guarantee a combo worth 30% HP. In DOA the same hit will get you 15-20%. For max damage you need to string several stuns together, but the telepathic AI will usually counter hold you. And good luck trying to grab it.

DR2K

Banned

The AI reads your inputs, so you're not doing anything wrong.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This is how you port a fighter to the Vita. They did a hell of a job.

Sure, you can see the downgrades, but while playing they don't spoil the action. Mortal Kombat last year was so much worse in this regard as the visuals were downgraded to the point of becoming distracting.

I think this is the best-looking fighter on the Vita, but it's missing features that its console counterparts offer. Mortal Kombat, and all the other fighting game ports on the Vita for that matter, is not missing anything- it got additional content added.

The missing tag mode actually doesn't bother me all that much, but the missing lobbies online really sucks.

matmanx1

Don't bother with the DOA AI!! In a typical fighting game you can land one hit on the AI and it will guarantee a combo worth 30% HP. In DOA the same hit will get you 15-20%. For max damage you need to string several stuns together, but the telepathic AI will usually counter hold you. And good luck trying to grab it.

The AI is really just there so that you have something to fight against throughout the story mode. And story mode is actually kinda fun in that cheesy, campy, DOA sort of way. Hit up the tutorial and do some command training on whichever character(s) floats your boat and then just start playing online and have fun with it.

GorillaJu

Anyone familiar with the game mind taking a look at Kokoro's combo "Intermediate: power Blow Combo (DIFFICULTY 3)" in combo challenge mode? I can't seem to finish this one and it would appear DOA5 didn't have combo challenges and this is a feature of plus? I never played the console version so I don't know.

Nevermind, finally got it. Similar to focus attacks in Street Fighter, you don't have to charge it up all the way to the end to get the full effect.

Hmmm somethings not quite right.
options->physics->DOA
k there we go!

Holy tutorial..i didnt notice the scroll arrow and thought i was good to go after the hold tutorial lol

I also now see the no lobby problem....seems like a pita just to fight a friend

Skilletor

The thing about DoA is, all those combos you learned? Almost certainly not guaranteed. The AI will counter just about anything you throw at them, as it reads inputs.

It's odd you say the learning curve is steep, as I think DoA is one of the easiest fighters to pick up and play.

I also now see the no lobby problem....seems like a pita just to fight a friend
Yeah, I'm worried too. If it's like this now, what will it look like in a month or two :-\

I got over my dream of 24/7 GAF lobbies going down the shitter, but I can't get over the omen of not being able to find a single match in a reasonable timeframe on launch day.

Any chance they can just patch in the lobbies?
I'm not expecting it. If lobbies were a priority for them, they would've included it and sacrificed something else like Touch Fight (which no one will ever use, by the way).

Hopefully the JP and EU releases increase the player base significantly.

AwRy108

For what they're worth, here are a few more shots from the demo.

The quality of the final product is SO MUCH BETTER than the story told by screenshots, I wish people would quit posting them. The game has barely any aliasing, and it looks as smooth as glass at 60fps.

AwRy108

Wow, you guys weren't lying when you said the screenshots don't do justice to the game. It looks SO much better in motion.

Yah, it's pretty terrific how good the game looks on the Vita--I don't feel like any of the home console experience is missing at all, especially since all the models get dirty and sweaty.

GorillaJu

I'm not expecting it. If lobbies were a priority for them, they would've included it and sacrificed something else like Touch Fight (which no one will ever use, by the way).

Hopefully the JP and EU releases increase the player base significantly.

Well it's out here in Japan now, so what you see is probably what you get.

Dantis

Yeah, I'm worried too. If it's like this now, what will it look like in a month or two :-\

I got over my dream of 24/7 GAF lobbies going down the shitter, but I can't get over the omen of not being able to find a single match in a reasonable timeframe on launch day.

Like I said yesterday, I think it's broken. I was on the PS3 version last night, getting a match within about three minutes (Which I consider reasonable), and didn't see a single Vita player. Tried to get a match on Simple Match against a friend on the Vita version, both of us were just sat in the search screen with no results.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

PPK PPP KPP is steep?

AI reads your inputs as many people have said. The only "learning curve" is counters. But even that isn't "deep."

PPK PPP KPP is steep?

AI reads your inputs as many people have said. The only "learning curve" is counters. But even that isn't "deep."

And remembering to block. I've seen many people get frustrated from getting beaten down because they only every try to counter instead of block.

GorillaJu

Apparently there are boob bounce settings?
KuGsj.gif

Normal / DOA / OMG - Normal is default. OMG mode is absolutely ridiculous. Christ in heaven.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
A post on GameFAQs says it was unlocked after a large number of touch fights.

Ainaurdur

I had only played some of the training tutorials in the demo, but I just purchased the game and grabbed the free DLC pack. I am still adjusting, but figured I will dive in instead of waiting to see if the demo would sink in or not.

Feel free to add me on PSN: Celethalion

Ohnonono

I remember doing some kind of voodoo to DOA2 on dreamcast to get a nekkid intro with a character and set the age to 99 for crazy boob physics. Reliving my youth here!

Yah, it's pretty terrific how good the game looks on the Vita--I don't feel like any of the home console experience is missing at all, especially since all the models get dirty and sweaty.

Yeah, I was a bit worried about this after Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 2 but I'm pleasantly surprised at what I've played so far. It looks and runs great in motion. Akira is pretty cool to use as well, he works better in this series than I'd have expected! Yet another great fighter to have on my Vita.

Salaadin

Why did this game come out this week? Im so tempted to buy but theres too much to play. Its been too long since I played a DOA game.
Glad to see the port is good and you guys are enjoying it.

Ainaurdur

Jann Lee's voice as he is winding up an attack... annoying and funny at the same time. I don't think I will ever choose to play as him. :D

Top Bottom