• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Plus |OT| ( + )( + )

Skilletor

When you decide to buy the game, it's nice to feel as though what you are buying is complete at the regular price. I love additional content, but when it's available straight away I get a bit Scroogey.
Thing is, it's not that different if I didn't buy it at launch and consider it later on and see all this additional dlc! That's why they make complete bundles.

I don't even know what the dlc is, just costumes I hope? Not really a big deal for me if so, characters are a bit different. Looking forward to buying this game when it's available here...and I can afford it. Been missing it since DC/Xbox 1 days and having the right number of buttons sounds good too.

Just two things I wanted to find out about, someone said matchmaking is down and there are no lobbies so no online play - is it often that happens? Long periods?

The other thing is I remember reading people saying the combos don't transfer between the PS3 version and the Vita version? Are those custom combo scripts or controller settings or something, or is the actual timing and moves different? :S

ps3/vita are exactly the same gameplay wise. They have to be, since they can play with one another.

I didn't buy any dlc cuz apparantly people without the dlc don't even see your characters new outfit, or so I heard.

Is this true?
lol if so.

As far as content/cosmetics theres plenty in the game so this dont bother me...The prices are offensive but its not characters or levels thatll split the base so to me its all gravy.

What is anticonsumer (and by anticonsumer I mean anti Jakku) is these combos.Im stuck on kasumi, not the burst one everyone had probs with, but the throw juggle. I will complete this. Hopefully the rest of the cast aint much harder

matmanx1

The more time I spend with the Vita version the more I like it. I've already logged more hours in it in less than a week than I did in months with the PS3 version. Being able to play anywhere with a more comfortable d-pad is a big boon.

My only complaint is the matchmaking. I can't believe how long it takes to find someone to play. I tried one simple match today and found an opponent fairly quickly but ranked seems to take 5 minutes or longer per match. That's unacceptable and needs to be fixed.

Thankfully I have tons of single player stuff to do since I'm actually going to try and do most all of the trophies this time around. I feel like the trophy path is a good one since it has you doing all of the moves for all of the fighters and trying out all of the different game modes and difficulties.

I know there's cross buy with dlc, but I think selling the Vita version with most of the console dlc included out of the box would've been a great way to sell more copies. Than add additional dlc afterward.

Maybe Wii u version will do this! :p

matmanx1

So I know that IGN isn't anyone's favorite site but I did some reading on their wiki for DOA tonight and learned a few valuable things. If you are a newcomer or haven't played in a while the basics section is very good at explaining how the triangle system works and the how and why of the fighting system in general. There are also detailed character write ups for some of the fighters although not all of them. Check it out http://www.ign.com/wikis/dead-or-alive-5 if you'd like.

Still gobsmacked that the only review we have (from a well-known publication) is still Famitsu...

Evidently not giving out DOA5+ review copies, stealth releasing Atelier...get that promo, Tecmo-Koei :-|

IzzyF3

I know there's cross buy with dlc, but I think selling the Vita version with most of the console dlc included out of the box would've been a great way to sell more copies. Than add additional dlc afterward.

I know I bought Street Fighter x Tekken because of this.

MORT1S

No way that they can be as visually jarring as the cut-scene to gameplay was in the Vita port of Mortal Kombat. So freakin' bad.

DOA is easily on top of my 'Best Graphics' list as far as this handheld is concerned.

Mortal Kombat would have looked a lot better had it had any normal mapping. Strangely enough, DOA is also missing most of it's normal mapping. I wonder if the PowerVR chip has issues with large amounts of it, or if it is a lack of cart space.

Fun fact:
Mortal Kombat's cutscenes were also prerendered on the consoles as well

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Huh, just played against someone on PS3 that had a red bar and the game was really smooth. Weird.

Huh, just played against someone on PS3 that had a red bar and the game was really smooth. Weird.
Every single game I've gotten shows my opponent's connection quality as 1/5, and I've played over 200 ranked matches on Vita. For some, it's probably true, but for most, it's been smooth as butter.

Just another of the game's charming quirks :p

Skilletor

I think the indicator is borked. 1 bar has been fine for me usually, but then I run into 1 bars that actually feel like 1 bar making the quality indicator useless. :-(

I think the indicator is borked. 1 bar has been fine for me usually, but then I run into 1 bars that actually feel like 1 bar making the quality indicator useless. :-(
Maybe that's why the online seems so dead. Probably have people setting it for 3+ bars minimum or whatever when the game actually recognizes every connection as only 1 bar.

Kincaido

Yeah, had more problems finding matches until I put the connection setting to "any". Most of the higher bars have had noticeable delay while the red ones have been smooth for me....

Wait, so the DLC is cross buy? So if I were to say get the collector's edition DOA5 for PS3 the costumes that I got with that would unlock on my vita version as well?

RpgN

Yeah, outfits "seem" easy to do, sure, but the fact remains that this game had more on disc than any first release of DoA before it.

I wouldn't know about TTT2's outfits, since I hate unlocking stuff through anything other than fighting people and I haven't seen any of it. For me, it doesn't exist.

I think the thing with DoA5 DLC, is that besides it being expensive for what it is, some of those favourite outfits used to be part of previous DoA games. I remember DoA2 (and Ultimate), and Dimensions (through free spotpass) having school outfits. If only they kept those school outfits in DoA5 or offered them for free :/ I don't have as much problem with new outfits even though it would have been nice to have them too of course.

About the price, it's pretty bad but then again, PSABR is just as bad if not worse. You having to pay 5 pounds for 1 character and them having tons of DLCs worth the game itself at this point?

This is definitely a trend I don't like, asking ridiculous prices for DLC just because they can and they know their diehard fans would get them.

matmanx1

Every single game I've gotten shows my opponent's connection quality as 1/5, and I've played over 200 ranked matches on Vita. For some, it's probably true, but for most, it's been smooth as butter.

Just another of the game's charming quirks :p

You've played over 200 ranked matches on the Vita? What's your average wait time to find a game? It takes me upwards of 5 minutes per match. I've got 18 matches in and it feels like it's taken a ton of time just because of all the waiting. So far I've been doing my Gaf reading and studying some DOA sites in the meantime but I certainly wish those wait times would improve.

You've played over 200 ranked matches on the Vita? What's your average wait time to find a game? It takes me upwards of 5 minutes per match. I've got 18 matches in and it feels like it's taken a ton of time just because of all the waiting. So far I've been doing my Gaf reading and studying some DOA sites in the meantime but I certainly wish those wait times would improve.
Usually takes 5-10 minutes. I just leave it on while I'm watching TV/reading GAF/whatever and do mental backflips of happiness when I hear "New challenger blah blah!!!"

Then I cry when the opponent rejects me or quits in the middle of the fight (which loses ME points somehow).

Grisby

Usually takes 5-10 minutes. I just leave it on while I'm watching TV/reading GAF/whatever and do mental backflips of happiness when I hear "New challenger blah blah!!!"
I do this too when I'm not using it out and about.

Pretty much every match I've had though has been against a PS3 player. I think I've fought one Vita bro in my online fights.

I'm a B- and lost to another B-, yet somehow lost 700 GP from losing one match.

WTF

Then I won when we crossed paths again, both still B-, and only gained 150 GP.

WTF WTF WTF

DR2K

Banned
Fought a vita player from ps3. Match was OK. Was getting matched up with various players then stopped connecting to anyone in ranked. Matchmaking is busted.

Is it true you can unlock Alpha by fighting a certain number of online matches instead of trying to get 300 titles? Please say yes.
beat story... profit

hmm looks like its just turn the game on XD

all i know is i have her and thought i got from story...wrong again

Sorry, was talking about DOA5 PS3, not Vita. Forgot this was the Vita topic, but I think most of the regular DOA5 people have come here now.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Aye, I'm a late starter with PS3 DOA5 so that's why I'm in here. Hey Leona, I've got no friend request yet! ( I'm JillSandwichOMG )
I fought a couple of younglings with very broad west country accents the other day. I would have found it funny except they were kicking my bum :-(

matmanx1

My connections have mostly been ok but I've been getting beaten pretty soundly also. My problem is my favorite (thus far) characters are of the slower variety (like Bayman and Lisa) and I seem to be mostly facing fast strikers in my online play. Christie, Kokoro and Eliot especially often. I'm definitely having trouble dealing with them. I just need better defense and more practice.

Kincaido

I think that's the first pack that was free everywhere. Well, it was free here at least.

Skilletor

When I go online to connect to PSN, the game just sits there with the loading thing in the corner. It won't let me back out, it won't go forward. If I do manage to connect, it will often just say searching for opponent and the press circle to cancel will disappear so that I have to exit the game in order to try again.

Getting really tired of this + long waits to play.

So uh, can anyone confirm that... I heard if you fight something like 300 ranked matches you can unlock Alpha on PS3 version. True? Tried Google searching but all I can find is the 300 titles thing. Just wanna be sure...

Nekobo

I picked this game up over the weekend. It's my first DoA game! Couldn't resist the temptation of playing a portable 3D fighting game on my Vita.

Who's a good beginner character? I prefer quick rush down characters.

My PSN ID is Nekobo1 if anyone wants to go a few. I button mashed my way to my first and only online victory lol.

suikodan

I am playing this on Vita and gaving lots of fun exploring the differents options this game has to offer but I am very disappointed with the cross-save.

I (sort-of) thought that I would be able to play on the road, advance within the story mode and make progress with the badges and resume all of it back home on PS3 but it isn't the case. If I get a badge on Vita, I need to do it again on PS3 for it to count.

Even though it's a fun game on its own, I bought DOA5+ as an extension of my PS3 game to take and make progress on the road, not to do stuff twice.

Would it be too much to ask for a "cross-save +" feature? ;)

matmanx1

So I've just gone through the entire roster on versus mode and lost against the CPU. My goal was to get the "Failure Teaches Success" trophy but it didn't unlock. Do characters have more than one defeat pose or did I just skip someone?

Top Bottom