• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Plus |OT| ( + )( + )

Arukado

So, has anyone had any problems with the cross dlc from the european version? i can't get the dlc from the ps3 collectors edition on the vita.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Eu blog says that dead or alive is £34.99, or you can buy a bundle with doa + paradise (PSP) for £44.99. Is the bundle worth it? Makes it effectively £10 for paradise

And should there be a demo?

RpgN

I had an hour with the demo today and was pretty disappointed oddly enough. It's great that they retained a fluid framerate for a fighter but I expected more from the graphics during gameplay and character selection. They focused mostly on the face during character selection, it looks as if the clothes missed some details and effects to make them look better. It's as if they couldn't apply the final touches to make them look as they should. It's worse during gameplay where the environments feel flat, missing effects while the characters look even more low quality and there were more jaggies than hoped. Whoever said Tekken 6 looked better on the PSP, didn't seem that far off. The game gives that feeling though of course it is more demanding with what's being shown and done with the environments. Maybe I was expecting too much from the Vita where that's as far as they can get out of it? Also I don't like the feeling of having an inferior version when knowing there's a PS3 version that probably looks better. I did not have that feeling with Virtua Tennis. Then there is touch mode, it seems to be really pointless. It's like they felt they had to add something to make this plus more enticing for double dippers. I'd rather they would have added all the DLC outfits which is what you'd usually expect.

Now the good stuff, the game has TONS of options to make the experience enjoyable for everyone. The extended tutorial is very welcome, I can see myself sinking time in it. Titles are fun to get. The options menu is very extensive to change things however you want. You have many difficulty modes to choose from. I remember DoA4 only having normal or hard, and normal AI felt very cheap (maybe I just suck). The boob physics off is perfect :p And despite being disappointed by the graphics, it's awesome how they brought most of the experience and how it's very ideal for portable. Being portable might be enough to forgive the graphics.

Though I expected to be impressed and get the full game straight away, I'm not that sure after playing the demo. How is the story mode? Is it worth it? I think I'm going to mess around with the demo longer and probably end up getting the game. I do want to like it but it hasn't sinked in yet.

Eu blog says that dead or alive is £34.99, or you can buy a bundle with doa + paradise (PSP) for £44.99. Is the bundle worth it? Makes it effectively £10 for paradise

And should there be a demo?

For DoA5 plus? There is a demo but they're calling it a full game, another error by SCEE. If you're talking about Paradise, I don't think so but I'm not certain.

RpgN

Please direct me to the demo for DOA+ because i'm not seeing it.

It's not showing for me anymore (maybe they took it down to fix the error or that's what happens once you DL it?). Before that it was in the same page as the full game and not separate. Before you could DL the 'full' game for free or buy the full game.

It's not even showing in the DL history which is very odd.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You're not playing this version for the graphical showcase. You're playing it for practice and online play. :/

It's not even that bad looking. A downgrade from PS3 but not as awful as people make it out to be.

Mesharey

So I've just gone through the entire roster on versus mode and lost against the CPU. My goal was to get the "Failure Teaches Success" trophy but it didn't unlock. Do characters have more than one defeat pose or did I just skip someone?
You skipped someone.

matmanx1

You skipped someone.

Weird. Does every game mode count? Between story mode, online and versus I know I've used and lost with everyone at least once.

to RpgN: The Vita version is a couple of steps down from the PS3 in terms of visuals during gameplay. I got over it pretty quickly though because the game just feels so great to play in a portable format with the d-pad on the Vita. I've already got more time in the Vita version than I had in my PS3 copy in months of ownership.

The story mode is beefy and well worth playing through just for the special brand of cheese that is DOA and then of course you've got some pretty thorough and helpful practice and tutorial modes as well. Takes as a whole package it's a seriously good package and a ton of fun.

Mesharey

Weird. Does every game mode count? Between story mode, online and versus I know I've used and lost with everyone at least once.
I used versus, I think other modes count but I'm not sure, I skipped Pai by mistake when I wanted to unlock that trophy.

Labrys

Got this yesterday and... I suck, to be blunt. I've been having fun, though, I'm just at the point where mashing buttons get me through a match.
Probably going to go through the tutorials with Rig and Jann Lee, as those are the only characters I've really tried so far. Hopefully I can get a little better.

Oh, and may as well leave my PSN ID. It may be nice to get some practice in with real people.
PSN = Hocotate

RpgN

You're not playing this version for the graphical showcase. You're playing it for practice and online play. :/

It's not even that bad looking. A downgrade from PS3 but not as awful as people make it out to be.

Yes, that conclusion has become clear based on playing the demo. Although you guys have been saying there were problems with playing the game online?

I dunno, it was pretty bad looking relative to my expectations. Then again, I played it after hearing how it's graphically very impressive and how it was hardly a downgrade. I was also hoping for more based on those bullshots released by Tecmo Koei.

But yes, I did think the Vita was more capable but lately I've been quite disappointed by this, Sly Cooper (the difference is not as big as DoA5 but still distracting and fairly annoying) and Sonic Racing Transformed among others. Before I thought the Vita could handle most games based on earlier titles like Virtua Tennis, Jet Set Radio HD, Uncharted, WipEout etc. I'm not sure if it's because the Vita can't handle those games or because the companies are not giving the developers all the time to port those games in the best way possible.

I'm going to try to adjust my expectations.

matmanx1 said:
to RpgN: The Vita version is a couple of steps down from the PS3 in terms of visuals during gameplay. I got over it pretty quickly though because the game just feels so great to play in a portable format with the d-pad on the Vita. I've already got more time in the Vita version than I had in my PS3 copy in months of ownership.

The story mode is beefy and well worth playing through just for the special brand of cheese that is DOA and then of course you've got some pretty thorough and helpful practice and tutorial modes as well. Takes as a whole package it's a seriously good package and a ton of fun.

You're right in that this game is just more suited for portable and it's easy to end up playing it way more often than on the PS3. That's why I'm still considering getting it on the Vita instead which will most likely happen :)

Thank you for describing the story mode and your overall impressions, all of it sounds good.

thundr51

Glad I picked this up, will probably sell it next week to fund the digital version. Meanwhile has anyone else noticed that the versus win counter only go up to 99?

icant with this game

Ranked is giving me headaches. Random disconnects all over the place (costing me 700+ GP at a time), inconsistent reporting of connection quality, it just goes on and on. Ugh.

Can't in good conscience recommend this game to anyone who isn't interested in the admittedly meaty single player.

Skilletor

icant with this game

Ranked is giving me headaches. Random disconnects all over the place (costing me 700+ GP at a time), inconsistent reporting of connection quality, it just goes on and on. Ugh.

Can't in good conscience recommend this game to anyone who isn't interested in the admittedly meaty single player.

Yeah, I'm about done trying with the online in this game.

matmanx1

I don't think I ever added my PSN ID to the list but it's exactly the same as my Gaf name.

PSN=matmanx1

I'm also pretty bad at the game thus far but it's not hampering my enjoyment much. I ordered the Prima Guide online a couple of days ago and it should be here today or tomorrow and will hopefully help me be competitive.

matmanx1

icant with this game

I've only had one or two random disconnects but I have had some laggy matches. I think playing Ranked to unlock some of those tougher outfits and get a trophy or two is still viable but I can see where actually trying to increase your rank would be frustrating. Fortunately I'm not skilled enough to actually do that much yet.

DR2K

Banned
I don't think I ever added my PSN ID to the list but it's exactly the same as my Gaf name.

PSN=matmanx1

I'm also pretty bad at the game thus far but it's not hampering my enjoyment much. I ordered the Prima Guide online a couple of days ago and it should be here today or tomorrow and will hopefully help me be competitive.

Just hit the tutorial mode, command training, and combo challenge modes. Guide is helpful outside the character section.

I've only had one or two random disconnects but I have had some laggy matches. I think playing Ranked to unlock some of those tougher outfits and get a trophy or two is still viable but I can see where actually trying to increase your rank would be frustrating. Fortunately I'm not skilled enough to actually do that much yet.
That's the problem.

I want to be the very best that no one ever was, but that's impossible now that some random Korean bots (I'm guessing) have already managed to hit S+ in about a day.

Now I'm just shooting for Top 10 WW I guess...

Damn you Team Ninja!
angry.gif

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Online ranked isn't any worse than the console versions.

The waiting sucks, other than that it's fine.

synce

^ Famitsu scores have been a joke for nearly 10 years now, the reviews themselves have never been insightful (usually very general stuff, and shorter than the reviewer's bio/comment). People just assume things from Japan are better >_>

OmegaZero

What the hell even happened in the story mode?
Here's all I got from it:
-
Bayman likes touching his face a lot now
-
Brad Wong is a legit badass
-
Hitome: "Rawr"
-
Kasumi is everthing

RpgN

To the people who played the demo and upgraded to the full game, do you unlock trophies you might have been eligible to earn or will you have to earn trophies from scratch after buying the game?

Just had a fairly smooth online match and it was pretty cool. Also played more of the game and training mode, I'm starting to get used to the graphics more 0_0

TheSeks

Online is still broken to hell. Can't find ranked matches within minutes. Way to go, Team Ninja. :/

Online is still broken to hell. Can't find ranked matches within minutes. Way to go, Team Ninja. :/
This was supposed to be my go-to Vita game for years. I would've been satisfied if this (and PSO2) were the last games released for the system.

Now I doubt I'll be able to find a single opponent a month from now. A travesty :-\

You know what would've fixed this problem though? LOBBIES

WAY TO GO, TEAM NINJA

TheSeks

This was supposed to be my go-to Vita game for years. I would've been satisfied if this (and PSO2) were the last games released for the system.

Now I doubt I'll be able to find a single opponent a month from now. A travesty :-\

You know what would've fixed this problem though? LOBBIES

WAY TO GO, TEAM NINJA

You want to play some online dojo/private matches? I haven't even tried that to see if it works since I've been trying simple/ranked.

There has to be something up because I play ranked on PS3 DOA5 very often and I rarely ever get Vita players fighting me. Had none tonight.

TheSeks

Ah, it's just training mode. Kinda lame but neat to see live online interaction with this. PS3 version doesn't get it, WTF?

AH! "Invite Friend" is the private match. Not Online Dojo.

Er, this online dojo thing is really weird.

And oh, now I know why I keep disconnecting. My Vita was on my neighbor's Wi-Fi connection for some reason...

All those GP
angry.gif

Seks, hope to see you in Ranked someday. This dojo thing is too much for me haha

EDIT: Let's do private match!

TheSeks

Go to "Invite Friend" and shoot me an invite?

You can customize the rounds and health there. It's one and one only it seems. Let's to a first to 5?

TheSeks

What is the online dojo all about?

It's just a training mode. You can customize your counters (which didn't seem to work for me) and customize your health to powerblow levels. It's to practice, basically.

This is the most fun I've had with this game since I bought it.

I wonder how many online-specific trophies there are. I haven't gotten that many trophies yet.

TheSeks

This is the most fun I've had with this game since I bought it.

Good shit. At least we know the private match/"Invite Friend" feature works. But those random stutters is a bit "what?"

6/4 rounds won Leona/Me basically. Leona is a countering machine and my defense sucks.

My Rig was pretty okay despite really never playing him online before. I gotta put some more time into the game since I couldn't remember most of the characters critical burst or power blows.

I wonder how many online-specific trophies there are. I haven't gotten that many trophies yet.

Play a Simple-Match, Play a ranked match. 100, 200, 500 matches (IIRC) played online. That's about it. Anything else can be done online (power blows on stages, losing poses) with the exception of Arcade/Survival/Time Attack and Story required mode ones.

Private match does not count on your player record, and so does not count to the trophies of online matches played. You must do these in ranked and simple match it seems.

Top Bottom