• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Plus |OT| ( + )( + )

Good shit. At least we know the private match/"Invite Friend" feature works. But those random stutters is a bit "what?"

6/4 rounds won Leona/Me basically. Leona is a countering machine and my defense sucks.

My Rig was pretty okay despite really never playing him online before. I gotta put some more time into the game since I couldn't remember most of the characters critical burst or power blows.
My defense could use tons of work too - I'm good at countering mids and highs, but the freaking low sweeps get me every time, heh. I'm also clueless about the critical bursts.

I main Ayane/Kasumi, but I'm also OK with Christie. Haven't really touched the other characters except to, uh, play around with the MMA outfits...

OmegaZero

It's just a training mode. You can customize your counters (which didn't seem to work for me) and customize your health to powerblow levels. It's to practice, basically.

Ah, okay. It allows you to spar with other people I'm assuming?

EDIT: Also, I'm going through the tutorial to find out why my Wong is sucking so much. Apparently forward hold counters kicks only, while back hold counters punches. I do not remember that being in the previous games. o.o

Next time Leona Lewis. NEXT TIME!
Heh, it was fun.

hAF24BD4D

jk you're really good :p

Mesharey

Private match does not count on your player record, and so does not count to the trophies of online matches played. You must do these in ranked and simple match it seems.
In X360/PS3 it does count, I unlocked the trophies by playing private matches.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
In X360/PS3 it does count, I unlocked the trophies by playing private matches.

If it does, then I should at least have 10 rounds done with Leona. It isn't counting in the "matches played" of the mini-stat screen you pull up with X (er-"Square").

If it does, then I should at least have 10 rounds done with Leona. It isn't counting in the "matches played" of the mini-stat screen you pull up with X (er-"Square").
Yeah, there's not even an indication between matches that tells you each player's win count. I'm glad you were keeping score!

Jawmuncher

Screw this tutorial mode. It's way to hardcore in some of the inputs. Doesn't help when I'm trying to learn yet the AI is set to beat my ass.
When I want to practice these with an opponent ill go into training.

TheSeks

Check "extras", there's many details there.

Online counts ranked and simple match only. Like I said. Overall counts your offline (versus)/online (ranked, simple match) only. Private does not count this outing.

If it did count, it would be part of "online time spent" and "matches played" even in the mini-stat box of the main menu, dude.

OmegaZero

Screw this tutorial mode. It's way to hardcore in some of the inputs. Doesn't help when I'm trying to learn yet the AI is set to beat my ass.
When I want to practice these with an opponent ill go into training.

The L and R buttons are shortcuts for P+K and H+K respectively, if that helps.

TheSeks

The L and R buttons are shortcuts for P+K and H+K respectively, if that helps.

You can also customize the whole controls to be nothing but shortcuts for that or fights in general if it helps.

I find the lack of having front-touch for some shortcut inputs kinda weird. Triggers for fighters here is just awkward in general.

matmanx1

What do the small arrows (triangle?) mean on either upper or lower side near a strike move?

Usually that's an indication of what kind of strike as in "high" "low" or "mid". If you see little arrows sitting directly on top of a strike button that indicates an input that can be held or charged, like with the Power Blows.

So I got my Prima Guide today and have already learned a few things. The information regarding high and low crush attacks and the technique called "fuzzy guard" was all new to me. The guide also really hammers home the difference between safe and unsafe attacks and when you can attempt certain moves vs when it's not a good idea to attempt them. Despite being really fun and fairly easy to jump in to DOA 5 is also much deeper than I realized.

I guess today was a good day to be online; actually managed to get over 10 ranked matches today (even though some of them were against the same opponents but I can't complain)

TheSeks

Still can't find players in Ranked or Simple match. Fix this shit, Team Ninja.

TheSeks

Finally. 2 rounds played. 3 online played in stats before->5 online played now. So again: PRIVATE/Invite Friend matches do not count toward these stats (and possibly the trophies).

Tired of playing 1 bar connections when finding 4-5 bars in the search menu. So annoying. :/

That said, kicked their asses and a Christie bodied me first round only for me to counter them and make them eat my spacing.

"You can not save replays while in cross-play." WTF is this shit, Team Ninja? I should be able to save and then send those to Youtube or my PS3 to send to Youtube. :| I should probably mod the handheld to use FRAPS to capture handheld matches then?

TheSeks

I hit somebody with Tina's taunt. I couldn't save it because of cross play.

Even if you could save you couldn't upload your handheld-based matches to Youtube. TEAM NINJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJAAAAAAAA! *shakes fist*

RpgN

Usually that's an indication of what kind of strike as in "high" "low" or "mid". If you see little arrows sitting directly on top of a strike button that indicates an input that can be held or charged, like with the Power Blows.

Cheers for explaining this, much appreciated!

I got the full game yesterday and already feel like it was a good decision. Dare I say being impressed with the graphics after getting over the fact that it's not comparable to the PS3 :p

It's great how the tutorial is very extensive in different aspects, it's the best implemented from the other fighters I've played. Power Blow is new in DoA5, isn't it? It's fun to use. Not sure wether Critical Burst is new either, it wasn't in Dimensions I think (not so sure about 2, 3 and especially 4).

I'm not sure how good you guys are in the game but I find it very difficult to think or use strategy while fighting. You get all the time to practice moves in training mode but I literally throw all that away once fighting for real where it feels like you're pressing whatever. How do you get so good to the point where you can anticipate an opponent at all times and use all the moves that you have learned without rushing things?

Get network error...lose points, drop rank. :/
The absolute worst.

They should have a standard, flat penalty for connection errors (and to be honest, this game's the only PS3 or Vita game that I'ver ever had such problems with).

Maybe -100 for each instance rather than treating it as a lost match (which ends up being -1000+ depending on your current rank, and that's bullshit).

quicksilv

Love the demo for this! Eventhough I had to switch my Vita to a US PSN account it's really worth it (no EU demo).

I'm actually asking myself if the demo is too extensive. I played 2 hours online against Vita and 1 PS3 user. Really nice. Eventhough the game showed all players as 1-bar red most of them still played fine (some were like 5bar green).

Bought the system for DOA5+ but the shop didn't have the game itself so I got the Assassins pack + 4GB + MK. I am actually wondering if i need to buy the full game because this demo has all i need. My main is hayabusa so that's covered (Busa, Elliot, Kasumi & Tina are in the demo). All stages & characters are in the demo. All online functions are working. Only missing the other characters + story mode i believe? I got those on my 360 game, so yeah i could play this demo for a really long time ;) Maybe learn some kasumi after a while to mix things up

About the Vita version: it looks fine, really did not expect to have a portable DOA5 version in my hand but i love the portable 60fps version of it. Still need to adjust a bit to the controls but for a handheld it's fine. I also noticed i can pull out counters better than on the 360 version, reaction time seems a bit better (i already play wired on 360).
Will probably order the full game soon, just to free the 2.5Gb from my memorycard.

matmanx1

Love the demo for this! Eventhough I had to switch my Vita to a US PSN account it's really worth it (no EU demo).

I'm actually asking myself if the demo is too extensive. I played 2 hours online against Vita and 1 PS3 user. Really nice. Eventhough the game showed all players as 1-bar red most of them still played fine (some were like 5bar green).

Bought the system for DOA5+ but the shop didn't have the game itself so I got the Assassins pack + 4GB + MK. I am actually wondering if i need to buy the full game because this demo has all i need. My main is hayabusa so that's covered (Busa, Elliot, Kasumi & Tina are in the demo). All stages & characters are in the demo. All online functions are working. Only missing the other characters + story mode i believe? I got those on my 360 game, so yeah i could play this demo for a really long time ;) Maybe learn some kasumi after a while to mix things up

About the Vita version: it looks fine, really did not expect to have a portable DOA5 version in my hand but i love the portable 60fps version of it. Still need to adjust a bit to the controls but for a handheld it's fine. I also noticed i can pull out counters better than on the 360 version, reaction time seems a bit better (i already play wired on 360).
Will probably order the full game soon, just to free the 2.5Gb from my memorycard.

How much of the tutorial and command training are provided in the demo? That stuff is pretty extensive and different from the console versions which integrated tutorials into the Story mode.

quicksilv

Has there been any news about an EU demo at all or is it just not coming?

I have no idea about the EU demo. I bought my Vita yesterday and did not have any save-games stored on my memcard so i could easily switch to my US account.

How much of the tutorial and command training are provided in the demo? That stuff is pretty extensive and different from the console versions which integrated tutorials into the Story mode.

The command training seems to be the same, just ran through the Hayabusa training and everything is there.
The tutorial also seems to be intact, last is Lesson 34.5 Depth and mission 34.1 The Show. I just played 34.1 and that worked. Combo Challenge is also there.

What is not included : Story, Extras:Movies. Everything else is there including Online (PSN, Adhoc), Single, Ranked, Private matches, Dojo, Touch Fight, Fight (Versus, Arcade, Time Attack, Survival), Extras (Spectator, Fight Record, Title), Options, Background Music etc.
Ofcourse only 4 characters.

I assume it is time-limited or allows only a number of plays ? not sure

TheSeks

Has there been any news about an EU demo at all or is it just not coming?

There was a demo but it was screwed up so SCEE removed it. I dunno if they'll put it back up but we'll see next store update.

matmanx1

I have no idea about the EU demo. I bought my Vita yesterday and did not have any save-games stored on my memcard so i could easily switch to my US account.

The command training seems to be the same, just ran through the Hayabusa training and everything is there.
The tutorial also seems to be intact, last is Lesson 34.5 Depth and mission 34.1 The Show. I just played 34.1 and that worked. Combo Challenge is also there.

What is not included : Story, Extras:Movies. Everything else is there including Online (PSN, Adhoc), Single, Ranked, Private matches, Dojo, Touch Fight, Fight (Versus, Arcade, Time Attack, Survival), Extras (Spectator, Fight Record, Title), Options, Background Music etc.
Ofcourse only 4 characters.

I assume it is time-limited or allows only a number of plays ? not sure

Wow. That is a huge demo then, in terms of content.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Well I've gone through the list in the OP and added you all, except The Seks as you've reached your friend limit! I look forward to our next bout!

Dantis

Just finished the story mode (Done it on all three platforms now!).

Still my favourite story mode in any fighting game.

Jill Sandwich

Command Training is such a bitch. Just did Sarah's, dreading Akira's. I can't believe it's just a bronze trophy for completing them all :(

OmegaZero

Its so cheesy and hilarious that is so awesome.

I still don't understand what was going on in it.

Spoilery question regarding clones and boobs:
The Kasumi that was searching for Alpha in the beginning wasn't fake, right? Or if she was, then was Kasumi in that hidden village the whole time
?

Mesharey

I still don't understand what was going on in it.

Spoilery question regarding clones and boobs:
The Kasumi that was searching for Alpha in the beginning wasn't fake, right? Or if she was, then was Kasumi in that hidden village the whole time
?
Kasumi was in the village

You can use cross save for a US DOA5+ with EU DOA5.

Skilletor

Gen Fu's [3]p x 5 has me stumped in combo training.

Edit: Oh, and if I run in to anybody from gaf and I taunt...a lot, I just like taunting because it makes people play stupid. :)

No offense intended. :p

Goddamn battery. Was about to lose a ranked match and when I got the blinking battery flashing on the screen. Now I'm gonna lose even more GP than intended :/

Jill Sandwich

Finally got to play some GAFfers online. Of course I got my ass ripped open, apart from a star turn with Pai. Thanks Azuardo and Paulink :) When does everyone else play?

Yeah, good games, guys :)
You know, it's incredible how much I forget stuff or just become so poor if I don't play for a few days. You literally need to be playing it all the time to keep yourself on top of your game. I've been occupied with new games lately, too, so I don't think I'll be training myself up any better any time soon, so I'll probably become very predictable with Kasumi, the only fighter I've bothered to learn to play as XD Anyway, it's all for a bit of fun. I'd love to get beyond the level I'm at eventually, though.

Top Bottom