• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

ShinMaruku

You forgot boobies. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
dxnszl.gif

Looool okay if it's a legit fetish thing then whatever, I guess that makes a bit more sense. :p
It still looks hideous, sorry. ^.^
You'll grow to love it. Soon it'll be the only costume you ever use for him.

I fully support fan service for people of all sexual preferences. You're absolutely right about the ridiculous female outfits, and there's no reason there shouldn't be at least a small amount of equivalent outfit for the males.
For real.

As I've said numerous times, I get that DoA is always gonna be predominantly about ladies and their bodacious bodies. That's totally cool, I have no issue with that. But dammit, don't freak out when the guys are given some consideration too. No one is taking away your gift wrapped boobs. A guy with a shirt partially on isn't gonna turn the whole game into a Colt Studios Production. In the grand scheme of things is still incredibly tame compared to what you got for the ladies. (Team Ninja still has a long way to go in the male costume department.)

Kumubou

Couple of random tidbits I found while poking around the Steam forums:

Mr. Wah put up a post on FSD regarding the PC version. It's all hearsay and rumor at this point, but he is the owner of FSD and he does have some connections. Basically, the good news is that it sounds like the PS4/XBone version is the base they're starting from and the bad news is that the release sounds like it's coming in white hot, as it's still in full, active development. So don't be surprised if the PC version is a little rough at release (hopefully they're committed to addressing any issues quickly). I get the impression that a PC version was not originally planned but was greenlit after Tecmo's initial experiments with Steam, and they're scrambling to catch up.

Koei-Tecmo Europe has a live Twitch demo on January 22nd. This should be a near-final build of the game, although it's not entirely clear what they're showing up. Expect plenty of Honkers. :V

AlStrong

Nice find... thanks for sharing.

I do wonder if it will basically mean very limited graphics options since TN has essentially been targeting a single baseline since forever. Even with multiplatform, they basically lock the development to a particular level of detail.

Seems like a low bar, but I'm hoping we can get decent resolution options while not screwing up the HUD/UI scaling. A bonus will be anti-aliasing options and being able to turn off the dynamic resolution, full 60fps everywhere (intro/outros).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What's the move where Alpha-152 throws up a Urien-style projectile wall behind you/opponent and kinda throws them/pushes them into it? The AI busted it out on me in offline versus for the first time ever and I have NEVER seen it done/know the move.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
R.US.H 214 236 Throw
That's the move. I see it quite a few times.

Huh. Can't pull it off on the handheld D-pad but the stick I've pulled it off.

Never saw her pull that hold off. Generally he's into that Cartwheel kick->PPPPPP float->66P->PPPPP sort of floating combo attack.

What's the move where Alpha-152 throws up a Urien-style projectile wall behind you/opponent and kinda throws them/pushes them into it? The AI busted it out on me in offline versus for the first time ever and I have NEVER seen it done/know the move.

I think its just 8T. It is a very cool looking move.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I feel like having a conversation about things I feel that need to be fixed which some might agree or not.

I'm thinking about the priority on the system more than the actual visual/animation going on. Example X character is doing a grapple animation and is about to grab or should have grabbed Y and Y at the last millisecond decides to punch or move a bit and the grapple misses. The animation itself looks like it should have done the grapple but is ignored making you clip with the opponent, to be punished with what was a late response. I understand its a rock, paper, scissor game but at the same time that is like time to show your choice and you just wait for the dude to show their hand and then you cheat and put the winning choice. I understand that value cant be exactly applied for the holds since the holds need to be immediate before hit but for the grapple it seems rather unfair to the grapple focused characters and technically speaking overall.

Another thing to touch on is on the tools some characters have against down opponents. Some characters have more tools than others some having grapples or short combos to do on down enemies which feels a bit unfair to the rest of the cast being limited to the basic punch or kick or jump attack while others can dish out more damage. A basic 3 hit combo to punish the downed enemy wouldn't be too unfair or adding grapples to characters that would make sense to have a downed grapple by their behavior. The downed enemy should focus on getting back on their feet and giving them a bit more pressure cant hurt them.

Talking about animation priority and down enemies I feel wake up kicks are just a block/hold or back away from them than try to attack and visually speaking you should be able to hit the opponent during the wake up kick start animation but that does not happen or rarely happens due to the priority given to the kick.

Sidestepping is still mostly useless but could be improved on for future games. (Balance more the tracking moves)

I would like the counter system going back to 3 point hold with a tighter hold window to make up for the easier reading by going back to 3 point hold.

Some characters considering their weight category and moves some feel like they need to be reconsidered. Main example would be Eliot which is super light weight and he moves rather slow for what should either be a speedier character or higher weight category and is mostly against all odds. That is not taking into consideration the frame data which I shall not bring to this conversation.

What are some of the things that you feel could be improved/changed gameplaywise on future DOA games?

Vade

So you basically want to turn DoA into VF? :p Not that I would mind.

I like the idea of having holds locked out for a bit (even for just the next hit) when you get hit out of one. One of the dumbest looking things is to hit someone out of a hold only to see them re-hold and immediately catch the follow-up. I think if you add this, you don't really need to add that many more limbo or sit-down stuns (or anything like them).

Throw breaks are a concern, and it really depends on how they're implemented. Keep in mind that DoA already has the risk/reward skewed a bit in favor of mashing against throws, since you get HCH damage if you're right. Whereas the worst thing that happens if you're wrong is that you get a CH stun or launch, and most raw launchers in DoA kind of suck.

Random system stuff I would add/change:

• Remove High Counterhit state from the game completely. All HCH situations would then result in CHs instead. (Other changes due to this: move CH launch heights to be what HCH launches were? Move normal/CH expert hold damage to the old CH/HCH values?)
  • Low holds leave the character standing.
  • Slow throw start-up across the board by a couple of frames, so that more moves are safe on block. I think this would be a lot easier than tweaking every move's value on block, and frankly due to the way strings work having everything safe on block would be kind of nutso. Then again, it's rare for a single attack to have the raw damage potential they could in VF or Tekken, so you may not really need many unsafe moves. This may also necessitate changes to how crouching works, so that people aren't fuzzy guarding everything in existence.
  • Rip VF5:FS's sidesteps off wholesale. (The way they work in DoA5U sucks goat eggs.) Sidesteps work 100% of the time when evading linear moves while they're active, and you stay evading the string until they do a completely different move, do an attack in the string that tracks, or you start attacking. You can also stack sidesteps to evade to their back
  • Replace all of the male characters with female characters -- gotta go after that waifu market.
    Joke suggestion
    or is it?

Using Sashimi's thoughts because they well articulated and mirror mine mostly; baring the last one.

Endo Punk

I'd love arcade ending videos to return in addition to the standard DOA5 story mode. That's prob what I miss the most from Itagaki era DOA.

ShinMaruku

For those who say side steps suck in doa5u play Marie and use her sisde step. If you have been whiffing off that, then you can do it with a side step. The one thing I will agree with is less tracking moves. Weight class outside of Eliot makes sense, Alpha,Phase 4 have some really great juggles to be done on them, however, they can take off 45% off 1 combo. 2 combos and they kill you. The other light weights can do some insane damage, however weight limits some of them. (Unless you are Phase 4 then you get 45% hit combo regardless)

I think counters should be toned down a bit more. Even though when I use Momiji I abuse the counter system with people mashing counter get high counter thrown and lose 35-40% of their life. :p

Hitomi and Lei-fang are silly.

Skilletor

For those who say side steps suck in doa5u play Marie and use her sisde step. If you have been whiffing off that, then you can do it with a side step. The one thing I will agree with is less tracking moves. Weight class outside of Eliot makes sense, Alpha,Phase 4 have some really great juggles to be done on them, however, they can take off 45% off 1 combo. 2 combos and they kill you. The other light weights can do some insane damage, however weight limits some of them. (Unless you are Phase 4 then you get 45% hit combo regardless)

I think counters should be toned down a bit more. Even though when I use Momiji I abuse the counter system with people mashing counter get high counter thrown and lose 35-40% of their life. :p

Hitomi and Lei-fang are silly.

Eh...that's not really the same thing. Marie Rose's sidestep evades far more than a regular one does, and DoA has a history of command sidesteps working far better than manual ones. Sidesteps in DoA don't work well because moves start tracking again almost immediately.

ShinMaruku

DOA3 had the side step you are talking about. And Itagaki regarded that as a mistake. (More for the people who want Itagaki back are being bell ends like him)
There are still moves that clip Marie when she does that too. It's how I beat Marie Roses. (More people should play Marie)

Skilletor

DOA3 had the side step you are talking about. And Itagaki regarded that as a mistake. (More for the people who want Itagaki back are being bell ends like him)
There are still moves that clip Marie when she does that too. It's how I beat Marie Roses. (More people should play Marie)

Do not want.

ShinMaruku

Learn to beat their ass. The side step can get clipped and she's very vunerable to throws. I can do 30% damage to them off a throw. Also she's so fun.

Mr. Wah put up a post on FSD regarding the PC version. It's all hearsay and rumor at this point, but he is the owner of FSD and he does have some connections. Basically, the good news is that it sounds like the PS4/XBone version is the base they're starting from and the bad news is that the release sounds like it's coming in white hot, as it's still in full, active development. So don't be surprised if the PC version is a little rough at release (hopefully they're committed to addressing any issues quickly). I get the impression that a PC version was not originally planned but was greenlit after Tecmo's initial experiments with Steam, and they're scrambling to catch up.

That's all very vague. I can't believe we don't have official confirmation yet that the PC port is going to have all the features of the XB1/PS4 version yet, and it's coming out in a month.

Yes I assume most of their characters ages will probably be something like 25 for their whole life. Others will be 18-life and even 19 or 20.

Uhm *cough* pretty sure Inorigo was talking about going to jail for... reasons you can probably guess. lmao

Squire

Banned
That's all very vague. I can't believe we don't have official confirmation yet that the PC port is going to have all the features of the XB1/PS4 version yet, and it's coming out in a month.

Uhm *cough* pretty sure Inorigo was talking about going to jail for... reasons you can probably guess. lmao

Don't you that lack of hard details lends some credence to the idea that the port is coming in hot? I'll be honest, I think it's dumb of anyone to keep their ore-order for the PC port in light of this news. I think it's going to be a mess. The console ports I'm certain will run fine because they've definitely been in the works for longer.

And yeah, you definiteky got what I meant! :b

Don't you that lack of hard details lends some credence to the idea that the port is coming in hot? I'll be honest, I think it's dumb of anyone to keep their ore-order for the PC port in light of this news. I think it's going to be a mess. The console ports I'm certain will run fine because they've definitely been in the works for longer.

Yeah this is true, I'm champing at the bit to preorder for PC though... Maybe I should save up and buy a PS4 after all. *sigh*

Hahaha good :p

Hubb

Yeah I got what Inorigo meant, I just tried to be clever and failed horribly!

Is it just me or am I seeing a blue flash of light on CH hits?

Either because you mentioned it or because they are actually there, but I do see them. Very subtle if they are there though.

Top Bottom