• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

ShinMaruku

The flashes could be a camera option to the action type camera, to give you indications when you land a counter hit and other things. I think it's a decent way to communicate info to you visually.

I'm now seeing those blue flashes you folks are talking about.

If this is a new change Last Round brings, I say good. The game already has four VF characters, why not take it's colored counter hit flashes too?

Skilletor

The flashes could be a camera option to the action type camera, to give you indications when you land a counter hit and other things. I think it's a decent way to communicate info to you visually.

Definitely. VF has something similar on counters, I believe. I don't mind it, I was just wondering if I was seeing something.

Eolz

New pics of the minifigs!

B73Oy__IMAEGSY9.jpg

raven777

I see that there is no mention of character rebalance/new moves in the back cover. So I guess the older characters are same as Ultimate?

Eolz

No, they just didn't see the point of advertising it on the back of the box, thinking that those interested in this kind of thing will read about it on internet.

Eolz

Isn't that Christie's new hair? Momiji looks really weird with that haircut, but it's nice to have options.
Can't wait for the stream tomorrow!

I want to say Christie's is a little longer and straighter, but they are very similar. But of course, it's more options, so good to see. Hopefully Momiji gets a long hair option, too (and extra long for Kasumi).

iCnPwHfyquCV4.gif

AlStrong

Yeah, in this case, it'd just be because of the excessive amount of skin/tits.
Surely that would have been factored into the age rating. :p Anyways.

Here ya go, lads. Rachel long hair, Momiji short hair.

mm... Rachel looks nice.

Not really a fan of Momiji's short hair though. edit: ^ works better on Christie. Or maybe I'm used to it from that DMC4 character (Gloria?).

AlStrong

Of course. They just provide extra details on controversial content through these images, too. A 16 rating doesn't tell you if there are sexual themes, drugs, racism, etc.

Ah, fair enough. For some reason I thought they were trying to tell me for whom the game was meant ( i.e. game meant for guys or girls). Oops.

I don't really follow tournies massively, but why isn't DOA ever at EVO? Would it have a better chance next year, once Last Round is out? With F2P, more people should try it out on next gen, boosting its popularity. I know the scene isn't as big as other fighters, but it's growing. Smash 4 walked right on in there... I would have thought DOA stands a shot.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I don't really follow tournies massively, but why isn't DOA ever at EVO? Would it have a better chance next year, once Last Round is out? With F2P, more people should try it out on next gen, boosting its popularity. I know the scene isn't as big as other fighters, but it's growing. Smash 4 walked right on in there... I would have thought DOA stands a shot.

1-TK doesnt pay to have their game in it.
2-3D Fighting Games don't do that well in terms of viewers.
3-DOA5 reception was weak in the year it was on
4-The community might be growing but the community doesn't seem to care that much about making it to EVO and they are fine doing their own thing on other events.

Skilletor

DoA is still small fry for competitive games when choosing them for EVO. Smash has hundreds of people showing up, a huge DoA major would be like 100 people. The game is overcoming the perception and bias, but it's slow going and will take awhile. Tecmo for sure isn't helping this.

I'd guess DOA6 will be there the first year it's out.

Eolz

Yeah, I'm sure they'll give 6 a chance.
They just won't add 5 now, unless LR does some surprising better numbers in tournaments.

Tecmo for sure isn't helping this.
In what way? Not bothering to promote it, get the word out there, etc? Or in terms of overcoming its perception, which I assume you mean people thinking it's all about tits, with Honoka/Tengu/etc not helping.

Whether it would have helped much, I think a lot more could have been done to promote the F2P version on PS3. The EU store wasn't listing it in the F2P section for the longest time, and Tekken Revolution was getting the bulk of store space. I told KT about this a while back, and said they'd look into it. They always seem to have issues with SCEE, so that could have been a problem.

But point is, I really hope they get their marketing in order for DOA on PS4. First major 3D fighter on the system, free-to-play, so everyone can check it out. Give it store presence.

I've always wanted to write something up about DOA's great F2P model since Ultimate came out. Perhaps I'll finally do it after Last Round, with more systems to download it on now.

Skilletor

In what way? Not bothering to promote it, get the word out there, etc? Or in terms of overcoming its perception, which I assume you mean people thinking it's all about tits, with Honoka/Tengu/etc not helping.

Whether it would have helped much, I think a lot more could have been done to promote the F2P version on PS3. The EU store wasn't listing it in the F2P section for the longest time, and Tekken Revolution was getting the bulk of store space. I told KT about this a while back, and said they'd look into it. They always seem to have issues with SCEE, so that could have been a problem.

But point is, I really hope they get their marketing in order for DOA on PS4. First major 3D fighter on the system, free-to-play, so everyone can check it out. Give it store presence.

I've always wanted to write something up about DOA's great F2P model since Ultimate came out. Perhaps I'll finally do it after Last Round, with more systems to download it on now.

Just with the perception of DOA as a titty fighter. They've done god's work with the competitive community with the game, and I have nothing but appreciation for that. But people, by and large, when you've got a negative perception, only see the negative.

So it doesn't matter if they donated pot money to the last major when OMG SOFT SKIN ENGINE LOOK AT THE BREASTS!

I just wish they'd have a portion of the marketing they spend on tits go towards highlighting the fighting mechanics and the things they're doing at tourneys. Not even a huge portion. Just a fraction.

ShinMaruku

It's mainly the whole "Lol it's a tittfy fighter" thing holding it back and EVO generally tneding to Monogamers (Aka: Smash and SF players) which gives doa no place to go. I had no faith it would go to EVO unless it was part of some package.

Skilletor

Do people have numbers for majors? I'd be surprised if they've ever filled a 128 man bracket.

Last year, the side tourney at EVO had like 30 people. Until people are showing up, a lot more people, then it shouldn't be at EVO.

ShinMaruku

There will be another tide tourney for last round at evo.
DOA will never get stick at EVO unless main stage, because nobody in the general population would give it a shot.

Squire

Banned
TN supports tourneys and that's great.

If you already play, that is. Their efforts with the DLC and the characters they're adding do nothing but tell outsiders the game is exactly what they think it is and not to be taken any more seriously now than it was a decade ago.

ShinMaruku

TN supports tourneys and that's great.

If you already play, that is. Their efforts with the DLC and the characters they're adding do nothing but tell outsiders the game is exactly what they think it is and not to be taken any more seriously now than it was a decade ago.

To be fair with Tekken and other fighting games Marie and the others are not so different. Some of the costumes , not but that's because Tecmo gets a great return on ther costumes and they have the art teams, most other fighting games don't have that, closest is Tekken. And Tekken has great fanservice costumes, but it has a legacy to go on.

Tecmo maybe could go a bit further but I think it's just the fighting game community as it is now. For DOA6 maybe they can come a bit different with some money on the table. Because I serously doubt it's the dlc and characters holding the game back when Mobas and other things pander just as much as Team Ninja. It's more the demographic of the game and the evo demographic.

Skilletor

To be fair with Tekken and other fighting games Marie and the others are not so different. Some of the costumes , not but that's because Tecmo gets a great return on ther costumes and they have the art teams, most other fighting games don't have that, closest is Tekken. And Tekken has great fanservice costumes, but it has a legacy to go on.

Tecmo maybe could go a bit further but I think it's just the fighting game community as it is now. For DOA6 maybe they can come a bit different with some money on the table. Because I serously doubt it's the dlc and characters holding the game back when Mobas and other things pander just as much as Team Ninja. It's more the demographic of the game and the evo demographic.

Other games don't parade their 13 year old characters out in swimsuits. Show videos of their new skin tech with bouncing breasts, have voyeur videos (also of this 13 year old character) and hundreds of swimsuit dlc packs.

I love DoA, and will continue to support it (unless they keep adding characters like Marie Rose), but it's earned its reputation and the majority of the focus TN and Tecmo put on the game does nothing but reinforce its reputation as a titty fighter only.

ShinMaruku

That's why I say it's a demographic issue more than if the game is good or bad. SO I agree to you that Tecmo should display more and support a bit more to get it acceptance.

Squire

Banned
Other games don't parade their 13 year old characters out in swimsuits. Show videos of their new skin tech with bouncing breasts, have voyeur videos (also of this 13 year old character) and hundreds of swimsuit dlc packs.

I love DoA, and will continue to support it (unless they keep adding characters like Marie Rose), but it's earned its reputation and the majority of the focus TN and Tecmo put on the game does nothing but reinforce its reputation as a titty fighter only.

This. You keep drawing false equivalencies to other games, Shin. It is TN that does, not their peers. Not to this extent.

ShinMaruku

As stated, different demographics. Which is why I would never expect it at evo. Even if the game was peerless in it's game play.

shaowebb

DOA has the same issues as Arcana Heart in public perception...its seen as a lot of fanservice by too many. Both are solid fighters with knowledgeable players and both can put on some real shows at tourney, but both ran into the same roadblock of trying to get people to take them serious when they themselves didn't present themselves as such.

It is what it is. A great game, but without a large support...though larger than Arcana Heart likely due to the added problem that anime fighters have getting across to Western fans.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DOA has the same issues as Arcana Heart in public perception...its seen as a lot of fanservice by too many. Both are solid fighters with knowledgeable players and both can put on some real shows at tourney, but both ran into the same roadblock of trying to get people to take them serious when they themselves didn't present themselves as such.

It is what it is. A great game, but without a large support...though larger than Arcana Heart likely due to the added problem that anime fighters have getting across to Western fans.

I don't really see Arcana Heart as very "fan servicey," apart from that one android girl.

ShinMaruku

Exactly why I will never have delusions that this game will go to evo. Also this is just a thing that pokes a eye into "If a game is good it can be tourney viable" It's all support of the people can can put it together. Right now DOA does not have enough of that. Good? Bad? I have no idea. I am not a community guy.

Skilletor

Exactly why I will never have delusions that this game will go to evo. Also this is just a thing that pokes a eye into "If a game is good it can be tourney viable" It's all support of the people can can put it together. Right now DOA does not have enough of that. Good? Bad? I have no idea. I am not a community guy.

VF is one of the best fighters ever and still isn't popular. Doa has a lot to overcome to get there.

Top Bottom