• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

Eolz

Or this audience is also bigger than you think, as Team Ninja seems to think it's their most successful title yet, in terms of global and competitive audience. Honoka is more of a joke character than Marie Rose for example, who is really different from the rest of the cast, and Raidou is obviously for old fans, as they said in a lot of interviews.
Playing a bit devil's advocate here, but come on, the focus was on this from the start of this series. Look at Kasumi's iconic outfit, the settings, the evolution of the series... Vanilla DOA5 was going for a different way, some "fans" didn't want of this release, and some of those that didn't want Vanilla (with some good arguments) now have a game that is going back to old ways, but with a different character design, and obviously different a monetization focus, as DLC and F2P proved to be an extremely good choice for their company.

But yeah, would be extremely disappointed if they added new characters in the future. New stages, modes, and obvious costumes? Sure, no problem.

Hubb

But yeah, would be extremely disappointed if they added new characters in the future. New stages, modes, and obvious costumes? Sure, no problem.

If LR keeps or increases the playerbase of U I would expect at least a couple character DLC.

DR2K

Banned
Or this audience is also bigger than you think, as Team Ninja seems to think it's their most successful title yet, in terms of global and competitive audience. Honoka is more of a joke character than Marie Rose for example, who is really different from the rest of the cast, and Raidou is obviously for old fans, as they said in a lot of interviews.
Playing a bit devil's advocate here, but come on, the focus was on this from the start of this series. Look at Kasumi's iconic outfit, the settings, the evolution of the series... Vanilla DOA5 was going for a different way, some "fans" didn't want of this release, and some of those that didn't want Vanilla (with some good arguments) now have a game that is going back to old ways, but with a different character design, and obviously different a monetization focus, as DLC and F2P proved to be an extremely good choice for their company.

The whole point of DOA5 was to push the fighting game genre and the perception of DOA as a whole. Not revert back and double down on sex before everything. I don't have decent netcode options like other fighters do, but 4 different settings for tit jiggling?

ShinMaruku

For all shit they been getting bout dlc I would argue it is dlc done right as asides to the capcom style of shit or the Ea model.

If people do have an issue the devs are at events to talk to, the listen make your voice heard. Often times the silent majority suffers because they are silent.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Wow, DR2K putting Koei-Tecmo ON BLAST.

Ultimate had a lot recycling going on, too- re-using stages from older games, more added VF5 characters, plus Rachel and Momiji added in. I always figured that similar to Ultra they just didn't have as high a budget, but that's hard to believe now with all the money they must have made on the DLC.

Skilletor

The whole point of DOA5 was to push the fighting game genre and the perception of DOA as a whole. Not revert back and double down on sex before everything. I don't have decent netcode options like other fighters do, but 4 different settings for tit jiggling?

LMAO

Lyte Edge

For all shit they been getting bout dlc I would argue it is dlc done right as asides to the capcom style of shit or the Ea model.

It's good in the sense that they kept on providing content over a year after release, in the form of both actual new content (characters) plus the superficial stuff (outfits), but their prices are ridiculous. That goes for pretty much all of Koei's DLC in general.

Lyte Edge

The whole point of DOA5 was to push the fighting game genre and the perception of DOA as a whole. Not revert back and double down on sex before everything.

To be fair, they quickly reverted back to BOOBS LOL quickly, when it became obvious that it meant more sales. Look at the success of all that DLC.

I don't have decent netcode options like other fighters do, but 4 different settings for tit jiggling?

SPIT DAT HOT FIRE

ShinMaruku

It's good in the sense that they kept on providing content over a year after release, in the form of both actual new content (characters) plus the superficial stuff (outfits), but their prices are ridiculous. That goes for pretty much all of Koei's DLC in general.
Prices could be much better yeah I only buy sets on sale.

Skilletor

I have no issue with the DLC other than the content provided. Don't care about the pricing since I've just ignored most of it since it doesn't appeal to me.

Skilletor

Less of a counter point and more of expecting them to be different is odd. Legacy is important. Easier to stay the same and not change.

When they start out saying, "We're going to be different:" when they show they have an interest in changing, but the actions don't line up with their words, then it's appropriate to call them out for it.

It's an expectation they created.

Squire

Banned
You never seem to hold these guys accountable for anything, Shin. Like, you have an answer for an excuse for everything, the issue being they're nevdr particularly good.

If you like the ross they've gone down, than fine. But the criticism they're getting for it is by and large quite just. They went out of their way to say they wanted to change. Mila was a supposed model for change, but the current norm is exemplified by teenagers with tits like pregnant women.

And even if they hadn't sent one message and then backstepped, I think a lot of people have just grown up and would hope TN is capable of the same.

DR2K

Banned

If people do have an issue the devs are at events to talk to, the listen make your voice heard. Often times the silent majority suffers because they are silent.

It is not done right. It's done poorly and in bad taste and its only relegated to a 3rd of the cast to boot. It's also incredibly over priced. There's been absolutely no moderation with the way they've handled these costumes.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It is not done right. It's done poorly and in bad taste and its only relegated to a 3rd of the cast to boot. It's also incredibly over priced. There's been absolutely no moderation with the way they've handled these costumes.

Regardless of how you feel about costume distribution, DOA5 did a really good job with their f2p system. I think that was a huge step in the right direction.

DR2K

Banned
Regardless of how you feel about costume distribution, DOA5 did a really good job with their f2p system. I think that was a huge step in the right direction.

They're the masters of taking one step forward and one step backwards. I agree that they've done some amazing things for DOA5 and making it accessible to new types of gamers and players. But it's all for nothing if they can't make a reliablely good netcode and focus on advertising things that deter new people from coming and playing.

ShinMaruku

If they have never been particularly good why would you expect them to change? From my experiences there are somethings one should next expect to change, like EA people want EA to change, that company is more likely to die off than change to what people think they should be. Just like I will never hold the games media to account because they are exist in a era where there will be certain biases exist. That would take a cultural change to effect them.

Has Team Ninja gone through a massive turn over of developers? Has the market moved away from what they are peddling? Have they gotten a good idea of their whole fanbase?

I think not which is why when they go back I'm not surprised. Perhaps I'm more a cynic than you lot. :p
Perhaps I spent too much time in the third world.

ShinMaruku

You say defeatist, I take what I can get and try to make change in what ways I can. If you want them to change go to events and let them know. Don't buy what you don't discuss it with others. NEVER expect people to change on their own. Often times you need impetus. Or you get turn over in developer set.

If you ask me just shitting ona game and not explaining why and telling the developers your thoughts. You can also not reward their negative behavior. If DOA is so off putting let them know why and not support it if need be.

Hubb

Incredibly is a strong word there. Characters are 4 dollars(?) and skins are 2 dollars a pop. They can't exactly charge 50 cents and hope to make a profit. The day they charge 10 dollars for 3 stages I will agree that they are incredibly over priced. Until then skins could be 10 dollars a pop and I wouldn't care. Purely cosmetic and the base game offers a decent amount as is.

It should be no surprised a 3rd of the cast gets the majority of costumes, they aren't dumb. They track the sales data and know who is the most popular. You could say it is a chicken or egg thing. Would other characters sell better if they had better costumes? Probably, more-so than the popular characters? TN must not think so.

Skilletor

What? No it didn't.

That was added in.

EDIT: And the default was toned down. Then they added the sixaxis movement thing and 'upgraded' the physics alongside.

DoA1 is the only one I can remember. I don't know if it was an option in any other doa since until 5. People like to spout TURN THE AGE UP TO 99 stuff, but it NEVER DID ANYTHING IN ANY VERSION OF THE GAME EVER.

Dantis

DoA1 is the only one I can remember. I don't know if it was an option in any other doa since until 5. People like to spout TURN THE AGE UP TO 99 stuff, but it NEVER DID ANYTHING IN ANY VERSION OF THE GAME EVER.

DOA1 was the only game where it was a thing, until DOA5+.

ShinMaruku

Incredibly is a strong word there. Characters are 4 dollars(?) and skins are 2 dollars a pop. They can't exactly charge 50 cents and hope to make a profit. The day they charge 10 dollars for 3 stages I will agree that they are incredibly over priced. Until then skins could be 10 dollars a pop and I wouldn't care. Purely cosmetic and the base game offers a decent amount as is.

It should be no surprised a 3rd of the cast gets the majority of costumes, they aren't dumb. They track the sales data and know who is the most popular. You could say it is a chicken or egg thing. Would other characters sell better if they had better costumes? Probably, more-so than the popular characters? TN must not think so.
The dlc thing is very tricky because nobody has all the data. But in the world of destiny and their dlc I find the costumes and stuff being priced decently. Only issue is dlc is being mostly of one type. Pricing is subjective. I'd prefer the 1 buck a outfit and bundling would be better.
DOA1 was the only game where it was a thing, until DOA5+.
It was patched into doa5 with the six axis thing.

ShinMaruku

...I buy DoA for the oppai. Sorry!
You and many others. No need to apologize.
While I see where some people are coming from I won't dwell on what could have been,
Mankind is plagued with what could have been
that is long past I wait to see what's next.

DR2K

Banned

It's 3 costumes with alterations for $15 mostly. I'm not looking at how many characters get costumes but the costumes and content themselves.

ShinMaruku

I find their Hyrule Warriors and Warriors Orochi dlc prices pretty reasonable.

If anything is a shame is more people are not at the events to bring up some concerns to Team Ninja at the events they go to because as stated before they do try to listen.

Seem to recall the higher age did affect the jiggle in DOA2 on Dreamcast at the very least for me.

There's my input.

Hubb

It's 3 costumes with alterations for $15 mostly. I'm not looking at how many characters get costumes but the costumes and content themselves.

I agree with you when you look at it like that, and it is why I rarely participate in buying the DLC. I got a handful of the ones I like and stick to those. Hell I'd be willing to pay more per costume if they increased the quality of the costumes.

but their prices are ridiculous. That goes for pretty much all of Koei's DLC in general.

They really aren't ridiculous. I don't think you'll ever see their costumes for $1 a piece. Sony takes too much of that, and TN is expecting to make money off their DLC. DoA6 might even go full F2P.

ShinMaruku

Man, I haven't had time to play DOA at all lately or keep up with this thread... Shin you doing any lobby this weekend? I may have some time on Friday/Sunday.

Oh, and hey if anyone is buying either LR special edition and doesn't want the Marie Rose mousepad, I'll buy it from ya just send me a PM :D

I can do weekend lobby for sure. Just need confirmation.

Placebo. Never did anything. :p

Raising your age just made it play the uncensored opening in attract mode.

Huh, it's been that long since I played. I must have been under placebo effect lol. Think I kept it always on 99 so never would have known the difference. Bless my early teen years.

Eolz

Just gimme at least one new hot dude and some speedos dammit.

Don't know when you changed your avatar, but I didn't recognize you :p.
The interview seems to imply that most of the team really wants to add new guys, and particularly villains at least. Honoka was mostly an audience/financial decision.

Don't know when you changed your avatar, but I didn't recognize you :p.
The interview seems to imply that most of the team really wants to add new guys, and particularly villains at least. Honoka was mostly an audience/financial decision.
I have no problem with Honoka, but out of all the characters added to DoA5, we've only gotten ONE brand new dude, and that's crazy. I don't think it's asking too much to hope for at least one more new attractive man and some freaking swimsuits for the guys.

Especially if more DLC is planned. Fans of bikini babes are drowning in content right now, they can throw the other demographic a bone or two I think.

Top Bottom