• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate |OT| The ninjas are free; the swimsuits are not.

synce

I noticed TN tweeted there will be a major update mid-October... that's awfully quick. I'm hoping they listened to everyone's complaints about the online and all the nerfs. I'd like to get back to 5U one day but not unless they fix it

Dantis

I noticed TN tweeted there will be a major update mid-October... that's awfully quick. I'm hoping they listened to everyone's complaints about the online and all the nerfs. I'd like to get back to 5U one day but not unless they fix it

New character? :O

PotatoCat

Hey im planning on getting a fighter for my new vita and i think im gonna go with DOA+. i dont have alot of 3d fighter experience, just a little bit of tekken 3. How high is the learning curve fore these types of games?

Hey im planning on getting a fighter for my new vita and i think im gonna go with DOA+. i dont have alot of 3d fighter experience, just a little bit of tekken 3. How high is the learning curve fore these types of games?

If you're not really coming off the back of any other fighting games then it's pretty simple to understand (though people familiar with Tekken usually find a learning curve because they're used to multiple punch and kick buttons).

DOA is very simple IMO - one button for punch, one for kick, one for throw, and one for 'Hold' (which is essentially your block/counter button). DOA's system is a Triangle system, where Strikes (punches/kicks) beat Throws, Throws beat Holds, Holds beat Strikes.

Combine the directions with your strikes, throws and holds to pull off different moves.

If, like you say, you don't have too much experience in fighting games (like I definitely never had - I love playing them, but never master them), then DOA is pretty simple to learn. Mastering it is something else (like all fighters!).

This is coming from someone that is not a hardcore fighting game player - I merely play them for fun - but DOA is the one fighter that I truly love more than any other, to the point that I'm trying to become a good standard. So I think you're similar to how I used to be.

Others might be able to give you an idea what the online is like for DOA+ on Vita, but if you're just gonna play it for fun on your own to try and get into the series, then I doubt you can go wrong. But if you have a PS3, it'd be worth downloading the free-to-play DOA5U Core Fighters.

I hope that helps!

Ninja Dom

NAT1 is a direct connection
NAT2 is a connection behind a router but all the needed ports are reachable from the outside
NAT3 is a connection behind a strict NAT and you don't want this

basically NAT2 is fine and it's what you want/should have if you have a router with UPNP enabled

:)

Interesting. On my PS3 with DOA 5U my NAT type is a 2. The only other game I have that tells me the NAT type is Black Ops 2 on Wii U. But on there my NAT type is strict. I'm using the exact same wireless router for my PS3 and Wii U.

On the connection thing, people are saying to hook the PS3 up 'wired.' Do you mean directly linking a network cable from PS3 to router? Does that honestly make that much of a difference? My router is downstairs and it's pretty unlikely I'm gonna run a cable through my parent's house to do that. That said, what cable do I need exactly? Does it come in the PS3 box or do I need to buy something separate? Otherwise, I doubt I'm gonna do this, but I'd look into it if it genuinely made a big difference (though someone has already said NAT Type 2 is fine).

PotatoCat

If you're not really coming off the back of any other fighting games then it's pretty simple to understand (though people familiar with Tekken usually find a learning curve because they're used to multiple punch and kick buttons).

DOA is very simple IMO - one button for punch, one for kick, one for throw, and one for 'Hold' (which is essentially your block/counter button). DOA's system is a Triangle system, where Strikes (punches/kicks) beat Throws, Throws beat Holds, Holds beat Strikes.

Combine the directions with your strikes, throws and holds to pull off different moves.

If, like you say, you don't have too much experience in fighting games (like I definitely never had - I love playing them, but never master them), then DOA is pretty simple to learn. Mastering it is something else (like all fighters!).

This is coming from someone that is not a hardcore fighting game player - I merely play them for fun - but DOA is the one fighter that I truly love more than any other, to the point that I'm trying to become a good standard. So I think you're similar to how I used to be.

Others might be able to give you an idea what the online is like for DOA+ on Vita, but if you're just gonna play it for fun on your own to try and get into the series, then I doubt you can go wrong. But if you have a PS3, it'd be worth downloading the free-to-play DOA5U Core Fighters.

I hope that helps!
I didnt know that there is a F2P version of it. I'll check it out, also im set on buying the vita version, everyone in the Vita thread seems to like it. I have alot of experience with 2d fighters, SF, Marvel, GG, Skullgirls, KOF, but the combat of DOA seems simple enough to go into.

I didnt know that there is a F2P version of it. I'll check it out, also im set on buying the vita version, everyone in the Vita thread seems to like it. I have alot of experience with 2d fighters, SF, Marvel, GG, Skullgirls, KOF, but the combat of DOA seems simple enough to go into.

Ha, sorry, I thought you said you didn't have much experience with fighters in general, not just 3D ones :p

But have fun with your purchase, and yes, do check out Core Fighters on PSN :)

Ninja Dom

On the connection thing, people are saying to hook the PS3 up 'wired.' Do you mean directly linking a network cable from PS3 to router? Does that honestly make that much of a difference? My router is downstairs and it's pretty unlikely I'm gonna run a cable through my parent's house to do that. That said, what cable do I need exactly? Does it come in the PS3 box or do I need to buy something separate? Otherwise, I doubt I'm gonna do this, but I'd look into it if it genuinely made a big difference (though someone has already said NAT Type 2 is fine).

That's how I hook up my PS3. But it wasn't because of fighting games. My PS3 stopped connecting to my wireless router over wifi. So I got a modem cable from work and run the cable from the Ethernet port on the back of my PS3 to the ports on the back of the same wireless router. It works a treat.

So I have PS3 connected to wireless router via cable: DOA 5U reports NAT type 2.

And Wii U connected to the same wireless router via wifi. The Wii U doesn't have an Ethernet port: Black Ops 2 reports NAT type strict (type 3).

I guess if I actually had my PS3 downstairs then I'd wire it up to the router, but isn't really gonna happen as it is. I don't think I have a bad connection when I play with you guys - it's probably just the fact we're playing between NA and EU. And if it isn't that, I'm putting it down to the shite UK broadband we get in this country.

PotatoCat

Ha, sorry, I thought you said you didn't have much experience with fighters in general, not just 3D ones :p

But have fun with your purchase, and yes, do check out Core Fighters on PSN :)
hah no its fine, thanks alot for your help btw and yea I'll check out core fighters when I get home. :)

Ninja Dom

I guess if I actually had my PS3 downstairs then I'd wire it up to the router, but isn't really gonna happen as it is. I don't think I have a bad connection when I play with you guys - it's probably just the fact we're playing between NA and EU. And if it isn't that, I'm putting it down to the shite UK broadband we get in this country.

It's always usually best to hook up your console to the internet via a cable than wifi. Especially when playing fighting games and FPS games. Where possible of course.

akaoni

Banned
157-1439175SPA80UC1444675X.jpg

"Homeplug/Powerline adapter" - buy these.

Let's you run a wired network using your electric circuits as a pseudo-direct cable. Been using them for 4 years, had to replace them twice because 1 ceased working, but I leave them running 24/7 and use them a lot.

157-1439175SPA80UC1444675X.jpg

"Homeplug/Powerline adapter" - buy these.

Let's you run a wired network using your electric circuits as a pseudo-direct cable. Been using them for 4 years, had to replace them twice because 1 ceased working, but I leave them running 24/7 and use them a lot.

Interesting. Hadn't heard of these before. Will keep these in mind for now. Thanks.

What's the benefit of upgrading from DoA5 (with no DLC) to DoA5U? I know about the characters, but is there any new story, new moves, stages etc?

Also, from what I can tell there is a free Core Fighters download with the ninjas, a $35ish pack with all characters, a $15 pack with the story mode and then individual costumes. If I finished the DoA5 story, is there anything worth getting the new one for?

If I get just one or two characters, what am I missing out on? Can I unlock all of their costumes anyway? Is there any way to complete the roster (à la Itunes) later on after buying a few already?

Ninja Dom

What's the benefit of upgrading from DoA5 (with no DLC) to DoA5U? I know about the characters, but is there any new story, new moves, stages etc?

Also, from what I can tell there is a free Core Fighters download with the ninjas, a $35ish pack with all characters, a $15 pack with the story mode and then individual costumes. If I finished the DoA5 story, is there anything worth getting the new one for?

If I get just one or two characters, what am I missing out on? Can I unlock all of their costumes anyway? Is there any way to complete the roster (à la Itunes) later on after buying a few already?

New stages
New additional characters
New game modes
New Power Launcher move
Re-balanced gameplay

Same story mode.

In DOA5U changes have been made. It seems slightly faster, some new moves, online Tag is added (including two-on-two), some new stages, all the training modes and combo commands from DOA5+, customisable music for stages/menus.

Story is the same.

You can unlock all costumes by simply playing Core Fighters. Just play Arcade mode over and over (Tag Arcade mode for a costume for two characters at once).

If you are only interested in playing with one or two characters, you could just get CF and purchase the ones you want, and you're done. It's really just the characters and the story mode missing from CF (and the OMG boobie jiggle option). Definitely worth a download and trying out.

Edit: lol, took too long replying. Might be worth pointing out you can't unlock trophies in CF, but a minor negative for most, really.

akaoni

Banned
Will there be more GAF lobbies at some stage? Missed the ones this weekend. EU + shit at game, just want to give the game a chance before I bury it because faceless people aren't fun to play and crappy matchmaking.

Ninja Dom

The game is definitely busier online in the evenings than around the same time after release of Vanilla DOA 5.

And I've had some pretty sweet online lag free matches too.

Will there be more GAF lobbies at some stage? Missed the ones this weekend. EU + shit at game, just want to give the game a chance before I bury it because faceless people aren't fun to play and crappy matchmaking.

Sure. Will definitely do some more. Let us know when you're free and will see when's best for everyone.

akaoni

Banned
Sure. Will definitely do some more. Let us know when you're free and will see when's best for everyone.

1800/1900 to 2200/2300GMT any day of the week more or less is good.

Timezones makes this stuff hectic, I can play beyond that depending on circumstances but the arcade stick can be pretty noisy.

Okay, I'm guessing most people are free Friday/Saturdays, but what's tomorrow like for everyone?

Roughly 8-11pm GMT / 3-6pm EST?

I'll likely be on anyway if you wanted a few. But would be better to get another group of us together again. If anyone has any preferred days, let us know.

ShinMaruku

Thanks to both of you. I used to do some critical bursts but some people get out of it before I can land it. I guess I need another tack to go with.

Mesharey

Yeah CB can be predictable, but Ayane can use middle kick and middle punch. ;)

PK BT H+K BT 4H+K or PK BT H+K 8 6P+K

They're both the same except the CB attack.

I uploaded a CB video when using Ayane in DOA5 but I deleted it from YouTube by mistake, I might upload it again, most of the CB setups still work except one.

This is a CB video, but I used only her new moves, I don't usually use them, most of the time I use the CB I did in DOA5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKmVF_8mhrs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Skilletor

Watch putting yourself into BT so much. I saw a lot of opportunities for your opponent to get a punish. Also, you finished the pppk string when your opponent was blocking. That's always going to be a huge punish.

ShinMaruku

Watch putting yourself into BT so much. I saw a lot of opportunities for your opponent to get a punish. Also, you finished the pppk string when your opponent was blocking. That's always going to be a huge punish.

True but some of Ayane's best opputunites came from backturned. I like how when he was blocking so well but afraid to attack when I had him in the corner for the backturn throw into the wall.

I definitely need to work on my wall game.

Top Bottom