• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Dimensions |OT| Setting your age to 99 does nothing!

Wait, what is this set your age to 99 thing? I heard it was for the Dreamcast game, but I don't know what's the point of it or why there's such a rumor.

Cow Mengde said:
Wait, what is this set your age to 99 thing? I heard it was for the Dreamcast game, but I don't know what's the point of it or why there's such a rumor.

IIRC, setting your age to 99 in the options was supposed to enhance the breast physics, making them bouncier.

TheSeks said:
You're ignoring my point:

DOA: P/K buttons that can be stringed together. If there is a move that is P->P and you mash P-P-P-K, you easily string into two character "moves" on the move list.

As opposed to Street Fighter/GG/BB/anything else where if you screw up a character move, you screw up the combo.
I'm having a hard time understanding your "point." Are you stating that DOA is a bad game because it has more moves than the other games you listed? If I mistakenly hit a wrong input in my combo, instead of my character standing still and looking dumb, I'll have the wrong move come out. That breaks that combo. I'll likely not get the damage I wanted and probably be at a disadvantage. Your point is that DOA is bad because when I screw up a combo, it looks fancier than in other games?

f@luS

More than a member.
game is good , but is a bit of a letdown, techwise...

and it makes me really wonder...is the 3DS at least as powerful as the psp?
im not trolling at all, and i know its first gen, but really...tekken looks much better than doa imho. and doa looks to be the best looking game right now

Doa is a good looking game, but aliasing is really too visible. i didnt expect this...but i guess i saw only bullshits or offscreen video...framerate isnt so silkty smooth. (in 3D i would say betweek 20 and ... i dont know but not even 30, , and in 2D, around 50 i would say, with some little drops very rare, but doesnt feel 60 totally)

i dont like these shortcuts buttons down, but beside this, its quite ok

online though sux.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
f@luS said:
game is good , but is a bit of a letdown, techwise...

im not trolling at all, and i know its first gen, but really...tekken looks much better than doa imho. and doa looks to be the best looking game right now

Doa is a good looking game, but aliasing is really too visible. i didnt expect this...but i guess i saw only bullshits or offscreen video...framerate isnt so silkty smooth. (in 3D i would say betweek 20 and ... i dont know but not even 30, , and in 2D, around 50 i would say, with some little drops very rare, but doesnt feel 60 totally)

i dont like these shortcuts buttons down, but beside this, its quite ok

online though sux.

Tekken team did a great job of hiding limited geometry in the Tekken PSP games with excellent modeling. But Tekken PSP is technically below both DoA and SFIV on 3DS. Backgrounds in Tekken PSP were also masterfully constructed to use lots of flat sprites to simulate geometry. Characters in Tekken PSP don't even have animating fingers or facial features, like the characters in both these 3DS fighters.

The PSP Tekken just has really great art direction, and good use of a few limited background animations to bring the backgrounds alive. It is an artistic achievement, not a hardware power issue. Also, it wasn't a rushed launch game.

f@luS

More than a member.
well if you say so ! but damn that aliasing is so annoying....

and i really think that its 50fps and not 60, explaning why in 3D it looks less than 30... (if we cut framerate in two...)

i just use 3D for cutscenes and menu :D

RpgN said:
I actually like that you unlock characters and don't have them all in one go, it makes it more worthwile than just getting a costume or a picture etc.
Here's the problem - my favorite character is XXXX, I really love the series only because of that character, I've never really learned to play any of the others and have no interest in it. But in this game, XXXX is locked. So now I have to do a boring, annoying and possibly frustrating grind, not having fun at all, until I can unlock the fun game.

In fighting games, they should NEVER lock veteran characters that have been in multiple iterations of the series. Locking new characters or secret characters, however, that's fine, and I agree, that gives more incentive to play the game and is more worthwhile than just a costume.

Skilletor

Dreamwriter said:
Here's the problem - my favorite character is XXXX, I really love the series only because of that character, I've never really learned to play any of the others and have no interest in it. But in this game, XXXX is locked. So now I have to do a boring, annoying and possibly frustrating grind, not having fun at all, until I can unlock the fun game.

In fighting games, they should NEVER lock veteran characters that have been in multiple iterations of the series. Locking new characters or secret characters, however, that's fine, and I agree, that gives more incentive to play the game and is more worthwhile than just a costume.

Which, in this game, would only be boss characters. And that's fine, since I couldn't give two shits about boss characters.

EatChildren said:
It is what it is, but based on what we've seen so far and what we know I think it's going to be a polygon starved system for most of it's life, and that's pretty sad.
f@luS said:
All 3DS games so far are all basically launch titles. They've all been rushed, made with early versions of Nintendo's dev kits, often made on other hardware and then ported to 3DS when the dev kits were made available. We won't truly start seeing what the 3DS can do until probably after June.

Think of it like this - as of last year's E3, only a very very small number of developers had 3DS dev kits (and none of those were final hardware). Since E3 the dev kits have slowly trickled out of Nintendo, eventually gaining steam. At some point probably a few months after E3, "final" hardware dev kits started making the rounds. It takes a year or so of normal development to make a decent DS game, it'll take longer to make a decent 3DS game. So June is pretty much the earliest we can start seeing some games that have had full development cycles, and even that's a bit early.

I really really want this game. Looks like the best original (well as original as you can get on 3DS) games to come out on 3DS.

Unfortunately I think this is going to bomb hard due to lack of audience. They may have been better off holding off till after OoT launched.

DR2K

Banned
Rush2thestart said:
Unfortunately I think this is going to bomb hard due to lack of audience. They may have been better off holding off till after OoT launched.

Yeah because the 3DS is swimming in quality releases for gamers to choose from. DOAD is the best looking 3DS game by far, and it's a great one as far as critical acclaim goes.

DR2K said:
Yeah because the 3DS is swimming in quality releases for gamers to choose from. DOAD is the best looking 3DS game by far, and it's a great one as far as critical acclaim goes.

It may sell to those starved users (like me), but my point was that there arent many users period for 3DS. It's not like DOA is some sort of big franchise either anymore.

low-G

Rush2thestart said:
It may sell to those starved users (like me), but my point was that there arent many users period for 3DS. It's not like DOA is some sort of big franchise either anymore.

It's going to be a slow climb for the 3DS, and delaying the game probably wouldn't help anyone in the business sense. Probably actually better to release now rather than later when other titles might overshadow it.

DR2K

Banned
Rush2thestart said:

Sold millions for both Xbox launches. Was never that big.

Busaiku

sfried said:
It's true. Had a few matches where it was 60fps, but they were far and few between the ones that were 30fps. Depends on their settings.
I've played friends with both our 3D off, I've never once gotten 60.

Luigiv

Luigi87 said:
Damn, I love 3D, but if it is less than 30FPS, rather than stable 30FPS in 3D-mode, then that is a problem...
I'm pretty sure those saying 3D looks like it's less then 30FPS are simply confused by the instant contrast between the 2D and 3D mode. It doesn't make sense that 3D would fail to reach a solid 30 if 2D is a solid 60. 2D @ 60FPS is the more demanding mode of the two.

Skilletor said:
Which, in this game, would only be boss characters. And that's fine, since I couldn't give two shits about boss characters.
Nope, only the DOA1 cast is available when you start up. You have to unlock everyone else, including the four boss characters. Which kind of blows because I really wanted to try out Tengu as soon as possible. He's probably just as bad as he was in DOA4 but they gave him back his wind charge attack.

Skilletor

grap3fruitman said:
Nope, only the DOA1 cast is available when you start up. You have to unlock everyone else, including the four boss characters. Which kind of blows because I really wanted to try out Tengu as soon as possible. He's probably just as bad as he was in DOA4 but they gave him back his wind charge attack.

At least I have Ayane...

We'll have to play and sort out this online debate.

MAZYORA

Makes u realize how bad ass Dead Or Alive Ultimate looked on Xbox 1. 3ds really does just look like a slightly better version of PSP graphically.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Arrrgh I would have had my copy two days ago if not for the stupid courier.

Now gotta drive to the Airport.

VOOK said:
Arrrgh I would have had my copy two days ago if not for the stupid courier.

Now gotta drive to the Airport.
Lucky. I live 10 minutes from Nintendo of America and I have to wait until Tuesday to get mine!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Picked up my copy today. Noob friendly! Yay!

I must say, the high LOD models and effects used during cutscenes and pre/post battle animations are really top notch. The textures are very crisp, and it makes fantastic use of DOF.

It's a shame it takes such a framerate beating in 3D whenever these are on display. I hope that, as time goes by, this kind of IQ will be achievable in 3D and at 30fps.

RpgN

Dreamwriter said:

Fair enough, that does sound very annoying indeed. What you're suggesting sounds like a fine idea. But then again, a) I mostly never really wanted to play with only one character or b) My favourite characters are always on default, so I never had to deal with that problem. Thanks for pointing it out!

Haha, I was getting very impatient that they haven't called me about the DoAD pre-order yet and got a call while writing this reply. The game is waiting for me!!! Time to go grab it :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Luigiv said:
Where? The game isn't suppose to release here for another week.

Review. Nintendo has been pretty generous lately. No embargo either :/.

Luigiv said:
I'm pretty sure those saying 3D looks like it's less then 30FPS are simply confused by the instant contrast between the 2D and 3D mode. It doesn't make sense that 3D would fail to reach a solid 30 if 2D is a solid 60. 2D @ 60FPS is the more demanding mode of the two.
presuming of course, that they aren't wrong about it being a solid 60 fps in 2D mode. lots of people seem to think the COD games are a solid 60 and they aren't.

hopefully that poster is wrong about the 3D framerate though.

EatChildren

3D is only less than 30 for me during the aforementioned cutscenes and entry/exit poses, as they use HQ assets and effects. During those, the framerate is easily sub-30.

3D fighting seems 30fps so far, and it seems 60fps in 2D.

f@luS

More than a member.
louie said:
My 3d framerate is a solid 30fps or so.
really , i doubt it... im really framerate whore, and it doesnt feel 30.... hope im wrong but if its 30, it is the most annoying 30 ever

RpgN

Played the game over an hour, mostly chronicles mode and training mode. Chronicles mode definitely explains the story better and it's nice to see that DoA2 Ultimate cutscene from the Xbox 1 version, always liked that. It's nice that play coins are put to good use here, and taking pictures and fighting records are great to have. At first I tried the game with 3D (about 30 seconds) but went with 2D after that, it's much better with 2D. The game didn't look as good as I expected from the (bull)shots and in comparison with DoA on Xbox 1 but it's still a looker and solid.

Chronicles mode is obviously very easy and just there to let you get the hang of controls but the fights went smoothly, using either the d-pad or analog stick takes more effort with certain moves. But I can see it a matter of getting used to it. The game is very good for new comers and practising with your character since it shows you each move you click on, and highlights every move you press as well. I can see myself really getting into the game and trying to master characters.

Replay value is uncertain so far since there are around 1000 figures to collect and not sure how many costumes, I just wonder if you don't get bored before trying to get all of them. Also it's great there is option for Japanese language and subtitles, I thought we'd be forced with English.

So far I'm very satisfied with the game and haven't seen any sexism but do expect them at some point, gotta get used to that and accept it already XD It's a solid game you can't go wrong with, fills the void on 3DS and seems to have a lot of replay value. The game could have looked better but it still looks good really, especially for what's available on 3DS now. Also, I think it's better than DoA4 so far, DoA4 really left a bad taste in my mouth, I'll still give it a chance at some point though.

RpgN said:
It's nice that play coins are put to good use here, and taking pictures and fighting records are great to have.
Photo mode sucks. It saves the photos to the SD, but you can only view them via the game and not the 3DS camera app. Seems to be a bit of a waste of a feature in its current state.

UKers are getting the free DLC today. I saw a blue dot on the cartridge pic from the Home Menu, which was a nice surprise as I was expecting the DLC next Friday. DLC is Kasumi costume and rock hard Throwdown fight data.

RpgN

wackojackosnose said:
Photo mode sucks. It saves the photos to the SD, but you can only view them via the game and not the 3DS camera app. Seems to be a bit of a waste of a feature in its current state.

UKers are getting the free DLC today. I saw a blue dot on the cartridge pic from the Home Menu, which was a nice surprise as I was expecting the DLC next Friday. DLC is Kasumi costume and rock hard Throwdown fight data.

What the? I assumed you could do that :/

You're right, there's a blue dot on here as well, haven't checked what I received though. Can you get multiple DLC's a day or only once?

EatChildren

They're going to be daily I think. Just make sure you connect the system to the net once a day I think you should be fine. I dont think you even need to boot the game for them to download, as it's all over spotpass.

EatChildren said:
They're going to be daily I think. Just make sure you connect the system to the net once a day I think you should be fine. I dont think you even need to boot the game for them to download, as it's all over spotpass.
Sweet, the 3DS just got the notification message and we'll (UK / PAL?) be getting costumes from 20/5 through to 26/5 for all of the 7 women.

It does say you have to save the data though, so maybe you have to boot the game at least once a day to receive and save it?

EatChildren

wackojackosnose said:
It does say you have to save the data though, so maybe you have to boot the game at least once a day to receive and save it?

No idea. An icon will appear and flash when stuff is available. Once I was connected today the icon appeared, I pressed it, and is said a new thrown challenge was available. Apparently these will appear every Friday. I entered it, and it was just a fight, then later when I was picking characters I noticed that Kasumi had "Download 01" on the costume list. I pressed it, and there it was; new costum.

It did pause a bit after hitting it though, so I dont know if that was it downloading it right then and there, or just loading the level data. Either way, the costume just...appeared on the list.

Top Bottom