• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Dimensions |OT| Setting your age to 99 does nothing!

Just picked up the game (PAL). The nicer box art (the Kasumi/black title/Ryu one) is on the manual, which also happens to be sideways. Weird.

RpgN

EatChildren said:
They're going to be daily I think. Just make sure you connect the system to the net once a day I think you should be fine. I dont think you even need to boot the game for them to download, as it's all over spotpass.

You see that sounds logical but what throws me off is that the OP mentions we'll be getting 32 costumes through spotpass, and you get them from 20/5 through 26/5, 7 days getting one costume each doesn't equal 32 so I'm confused.

Manmedaz

Got the SpotPass content this morning, new costume for Kasumi and a StreetPass Battle against a dev's Kasumi, Hiroya Usuda, with an apparently rare figurine to get (even if you loose, but if you win it's a better one apparently. I won, and got the figurine 36 of Kasumi).
If interested, you can view my pics of this content here, I don't have the time to rehost and post it here yet, sorry.

Luigi87

I am so incredibly jealous of you all who've got this out in EU territories =(

Come on NA... Tuesday can't get here soon enough!

Manmedaz said:
Got the SpotPass content this morning, new costume for Kasumi and a StreetPass Battle against a dev's Kasumi, Hiroya Usuda, with an apparently rare figurine to get (even if you loose, but if you win it's a better one apparently. I won, and got the figurine 36 of Kasumi).
If interested, you can view my pics of this content here, I don't have the time to rehost and post it here yet, sorry.
Hmm, I lost (butt = whooped) and also got figurine 36. Good on you for winning though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MarshMellow96 said:
UK here - how do I get the spotpass costumes? Do I have to pay for them? I got asked if I wanted to use play coins for a present..

Hooked up to the net yet? If so, check the costume section and see if it's on Kasumi's list. Should be "Download 01". If not, no idea.

Manmedaz

wackojackosnose said:
Hmm, I lost (butt = whooped) and also got figurine 36. Good on you for winning though.

Well, I got 2 figurines, the other one was a "normal" Bass figurine, a friend of mine won and had a normal Kasumi one plus the 36. So yeah, I don't know what they meant by "if you win you might get a more interesting prize"...

By the way, here's the schedule of SpotPass up to the 26th of May (also on my site in French) :

05/21 : Ayane costume + StreetPass Battle
05/21 : Kokoro costume + StreetPass Battle
05/21 : Leifang costume + StreetPass Battle
05/21 : Tina costume + StreetPass Battle
05/21 : La Mariposa costume + StreetPass Battle
05/21 : Hitomi costume + StreetPass Battle

So, only girls yet, and no Christie/Helena. I guess that'll happen next week...

MarshMellow96 said:
UK here - how do I get the spotpass costumes? Do I have to pay for them? I got asked if I wanted to use play coins for a present..

I guess you had to be hooked up to the net and have played the game to enable SpotPass before this morning... Don't know exactly how it works though, you might get it a bit later. About the coin thing, it just unlock a random costume as far as I know, you're better saving up your coins and unlocking costumes by playing (this should be kind of a "last resort" thing if you just can't get an outfit).

Just put the 3DS into sleep mode before going out. I got back and I had the blue dot and a costume waiting for me when I booted the game. Nice :)

f@luS

More than a member.
how can i unlock the last five characters?
finished chronicles and the 6 level of arcade

RpgN

The Spotpass Kasumi costume looks great! The game is getting more fun and I'm just very happy with it :D Wow, can't believe how this one is leaving a different impression on me in comparison to DoA4, this brings me back to Dead or Alive 3 and Ultimate 2, those were quality games.

Btw, despite DoAD not looking as good as I hoped, I like its performance better than DoA4 as well. DoA4 had some weird framerate slowdowns at times and the hairs looked weird on those characters, this has a more smooth experience and that's more important imo.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Will get my copy tomorrow... hope it is as good as some impressions make it to be.

f@luS

More than a member.
it really depends on level
the framerate on for exemple the 999m arena (forgot the name, on top of big building), is really worse than other arena

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well, just played three matches online. Network performance was abysmal which caused the framerate to run like utter dogshit. It might as well be considered broken.

RpgN

EatChildren said:
Well, just played three matches online. Network performance was abysmal which caused the framerate to run like utter dogshit. It might as well be considered broken.

I haven't tried online yet, that sounds really bad. Did you have good internet connection? And what about 3D?

EatChildren

RpgN said:
I haven't tried online yet, that sounds really bad. Did you have good internet connection? And what about 3D?

Australia, so shit by world standards :p. But cable connection, with the exchange literally just up the road. I average 2 - 3mbps downloads on Steam, and get zero lag in the games I play on PC. Street Fighter IV was pretty stable too.

Turning off 3D doesn't make a huge difference. The problem is that it seems to hinge framerate exclusively on the rate that data is recieved from the opponent, so it 'hickups' a lot, going from smooth to slow to flat out dreadful. Seems to be hugely dependant on both persons connection speed, and a ton of luck.

f@luS

More than a member.
EatChildren said:
try region and not world
on world it wa laggy once
on region i had 2 60fps fight è

EatChildren

f@luS said:
try region and not world
on world it wa laggy once
on region i had 2 60fps fight è

I'll give it a shot, but I suspect there wont be many people playing it in Australia right now :p.

I want a skimpy outfit for one of the male characters as DLC

Like this:
fei-long.jpg

SFIVFeiLongAltCostume.png

OR NO SALE

Luigi87

Woo!
GameStop Canada just shipped my copy, meaning since Monday is a holiday, I'll have it on the 24th without needing to leave my home!

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Serenade said:
Can one of you guys test if you can save snapshots you make to the SD Card? I'm really curious if you can.
Found my answer, pictures shot in the figure pose mode can only be viewed in-game. They can't be seen in your folder in 3DS Camera.

Odd choice coming from DOAP on PSP.

IGN review. not very in depth at at all

Closing Comments
If you’re a longtime fan of the series, DOAD is a great addition and a fun homage to the franchise’s legacy. But even if you’re new to the series (or the genre, for that matter), this title is a great starting point. Weird cut-scenes and clunky use of the touch screen aside, this is a beautiful and fun game that fighter fans should make it a point to check out.

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/116/1169815p1.html

Naked Snake said:
I want a skimpy outfit for one of the male characters as DLC

Like this:

OR NO SALE
Don't some of the guys regularly get sexy outfits too? Like going shirtless and stuff?

I specifically remember Ein's red pants and chain bracelets swinging around everywhere.

RpgN

EatChildren said:
Australia, so shit by world standards :p. But cable connection, with the exchange literally just up the road. I average 2 - 3mbps downloads on Steam, and get zero lag in the games I play on PC. Street Fighter IV was pretty stable too.

Turning off 3D doesn't make a huge difference. The problem is that it seems to hinge framerate exclusively on the rate that data is recieved from the opponent, so it 'hickups' a lot, going from smooth to slow to flat out dreadful. Seems to be hugely dependant on both persons connection speed, and a ton of luck.

Hopefully playing by region helps a bit. Yeah, I keep hearing how shitty the net in Australia is, but it's weird that Street Fighter IV is stable in comparison.

grap3fruitman said:
Ayane wasn't in the original DOA1, so you'll need to unlock her.

I was surprised when I unlocked Ayane on Chronicles mode, I was expecting her to be there anyways. You do unlock her early on though.

justchris

Seriously, nothing on how Throwdown works? I mean, do you actually fight an opponent? How does it determine their skill/playstyle? Or is it like SFIV's figurine battles?

EatChildren

justchris said:
Seriously, nothing on how Throwdown works? I mean, do you actually fight an opponent? How does it determine their skill/playstyle? Or is it like SFIV's figurine battles?

You fight an opponent. You're notified by an icon appearing on the main menu. Im pretty sure it's an AI programmed specifically for that fight by Team Ninja, so it's a high level of difficulty. If you lose, you cant replay the match. Regardless of win or lose, you get a 'rare trophy' for your collection. The notification message seems to indicate that you'll also get something for winning, but I dont know what as I got my arse kicked.

Speaking of, shouldn't there be a new update today?

EatChildren

Nemesis556 said:
EatChildren, we should try to have some matches. In Australia too.

LETS DO IT

Im pretty sure we're already friends.

Nemesis_

Just got a new router. I'll finish up this chapter in Chronicles then create a room. 3DS really needs a messaging feature. >_<

EatChildren

Nemesis556 said:
Just got a new router. I'll finish up this chapter in Chronicles then create a room. 3DS really needs a messaging feature. >_<

Yeah, it's shit. I've got a lobby open, so just try and join whenever. I'll notice when you do.

EDIT: Got todays costume!

Ninja Dom

Got my copy of the game and I'm working through the Chronicles part.

I know it's early but I'm thoroughly enjoying the Chronicles part. I've played one Online match and from what I can tell it was pretty smooth (UK).

I got my Kasumi costume yesterday (Friday) but not got my costume fir today.

mandiller

This game has a mode where you can take pictures of the fighter right? If the images get saved to the SD card, can someone take a few good snaps of random fighters and then upload the .mpo picture files? I'd like to see how good the game looks in 3D :)

As for the online, I played two matches. One regional with one from france, and one worldwide match. Interestingly enough the match in regional settings was terrible. Laggy as shit, while the worldwide match was butter smooth.

I guess it's just like with SSF4 3D. If both players have a good connection and good router settings, the game will work online.

mandiller said:
This game has a mode where you can take pictures of the fighter right? If the images get saved to the SD card, can someone take a few good snaps of random fighters and then upload the .mpo picture files? I'd like to see how good the game looks in 3D :)
I'll try to get the images.

Edit: I guess I found where they are stored on the SD card, but can't get them opened or changed to a different standard unfortunately.

Manmedaz

mandiller said:

It's impossible to get them. They are basically somewhere on the SD card, but encrypted - just checked for the second time, just to be sure.

Got my Ayane costume, but no SpotPass notification nor StreetPass Battle againtst a developer like yesterday yet.

mandiller

Manmedaz said:
It's impossible to get them. They are basically somewhere on the SD card, but encrypted - just checked for the second time, just to be sure.

Got my Ayane costume, but no SpotPass notification nor StreetPass Battle againtst a developer like yesterday yet.

Oh drats. Why would they do that? So it's not like taking photos in Pilotwings then.

mandiller said:
Oh drats. Why would they do that? So it's not like taking photos in Pilotwings then.

Nope, unfortunately not. unless they use the same data format that SSBB used, I don't see a chance of getting them displayed outside of the 3DS.

Veal

Man it's weird to be back in an era of good fighting games on Nintendo consoles. We've come full circle.

angelfly

Spotpass for the costumes came this morning but they actually downloaded yesterday. I love the DoA series and this game continues to make me fall in love with the series. Only frustration I've had so far was in an online match where the game started running at at like 10fps. 3D is also kind of disappointing because how much the framerate drops.

EatChildren

Yeah, sorry. My performance is...questionable.

EatChildren

RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Top Bottom