• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Ultimate screens + Gamespot impressions

mrmyth

I'll get Live for this. The arcade mode takes me back to my North Pier VF3 days.

And dammit, I want Brad too. Hitomi (Anybody think its hilarious that a fighting game character's name is Hit On Me? No? Oh Well) is nice, Christy's cool, but Brad is the closest thing to a skill character DOA has.

Tellaerin said:
To you, maybe. You'd be surprised at the number of people out there who enjoy playing fighters vs. the CPU to earn things (weapons, hidden characters, endings, costumes, whatever), rather than being little wannabe Ryu's who 'live for the fight' and only play against the computer to practice before beating down their friends.

Sorry if that sounds contentious, but I'm sick of people suggesting that features should be cut from particular genres of games (especially fighters) because 'nobody (meaning that person and his friends) cares about them' or 'they're a waste of time'. DOA (PS), along with Soul Calibur (DC), set the bar for unlockable content in fighting games extremely high, and there's nothing wrong with liking that sort of content, or in expecting similar things from the games that followed. If you don't care about it, that's great--go play a few more rounds against your friends and stop telling people what they should and shouldn't want from their fighting games.
every second devs waste on collectathon features that don't really belong in fighting games is another second they don't spend on fine tuning the gameplay of the game itself...

mrmyth said:
I'll get Live for this. The arcade mode takes me back to my North Pier VF3 days.

And dammit, I want Brad too. Hitomi (Anybody think its hilarious that a fighting game character's name is Hit On Me? No? Oh Well) is nice, Christy's cool, but Brad is the closest thing to a skill character DOA has.
Ayane takes alot more skill to use than Brad :p

Brad is no Shun...

mrmyth

The Faceless Master said:
Ayane takes alot more skill to use than Brad :p

Brad is no Shun...

VF4 comp near me sucks, and the game's not online.

Ayane can be mastered with two cans of Jolt cola.

Tellaerin

every second devs waste on collectathon features that don't really belong in fighting games is another second they don't spend on fine tuning the gameplay of the game itself...

The members of a given team producing unlockable content aren't liable to be the ones implementing balance changes anyway, so it's not like doing one would mean less time for the other. So what if the 3D art staff is busy cranking out a bunch of alternate models for the player to unlock? It's not like those guys would've been spending their time tweaking the gameplay further, if only they weren't so busy producing content you consider pointless.

That said, I think you've missed the point of my last post. Who the hell are you to dictate what features do and don't belong in fighting games? Because a thing is worthless to you doesn't make it worthless to everyone, and repeatedly telling me that something 'doesn't belong in fighting games' because you don't care about it doesn't make your assumptions any less self-centered or wrong.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
morbidaza said:
Killer, i thought i remembered using 2 directions to do reversals at some point but wasn't sure if i was thinking of virtua fighter or doa.

Definitely a good move to go back to arcade reversals.

did they not have both in the DC version?

Tellaerin said:
The members of a given team producing unlockable content aren't liable to be the ones implementing balance changes anyway, so it's not like doing one would mean less time for the other. So what if the 3D art staff is busy cranking out a bunch of alternate models for the player to unlock? It's not like those guys would've been spending their time tweaking the gameplay further, if only they weren't so busy producing content you consider pointless.

That said, I think you've missed the point of my last post. Who the hell are you to dictate what features do and don't belong in fighting games? Because a thing is worthless to you doesn't make it worthless to everyone, and repeatedly telling me that something 'doesn't belong in fighting games' because you don't care about it doesn't make your assumptions any less self-centered or wrong.
(copy/paste) right back at ya

3phemeral

The Game looks gorgeous.. I only have issues with the Foliage textures and the way they executed the leaves o_O Looks horrible, plus the way those stone textures stretch over the rock mesh could have been done better. The best scenes, oddly enough, are the ones without the characters -- those wilde life sections look phenomenal.

Character models are nice, but I still have issues with the art direction... I hate the plastic, blow-up doll look.

Shouta

Nice looking but DoA games have had no credible depth since the first game. Fun to play with friends but not a serious competitive fighter though.

Tellaerin

(copy/paste) right back at ya

Don't give me that 'right back at ya' crap. I never said devs should be cutting any elements from fighting games. You're the one labelling the things you personally don't care about as 'unnecessary' and saying that devs shouldn't 'waste time' on them. That's because I happen to realize that games are designed to appeal to more than just my personal tastes, something you seem to be having a hard time with. I also made it pretty clear that including unlockable content and other single-player elements in a fighter isn't going to negatively impact balancing and tweaking regardless, because the duties of the staff members who would handle those tasks typically don't overlap. (Maybe you missed that part of my last post? :p ) I suggest you address that point first, if you're going to argue this with me any further.

In short:

ME = 'Fighting games should include strong single- and multiplayer components, to satisfy people who are looking for one or the other (or both).'

YOU = 'Fighting games are only about multiplayer. Single-player elements are a waste of time. Developers shouldn't bother including them in their games, and if you're one of the people who happen to like them, well, too bad.'

Therefore,

YOU = Self-centered and wrong-headed.

Next time someone asks about something you don't consider important in a game, try seeing past your own personal preferences rather than making snide remarks like 'try Jet Force Gemini'. All you've managed to do is to come off like a real jerk.

Top Bottom