• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 |OT| Welcome to the After Party

So can you run out of time on the main story? I'm
at the part in chapter 3 where the dude is getting gas and the main quest thing says to explore. I have 3 days before the bombs go off.
Am I gonna be able to get trough this game?

Acheteedo

at the part in chapter 3 where the dude is getting gas and the main quest thing says to explore. I have 3 days before the bombs go off.

Anyone know the answer to this??

Grisby

Love being able to just shout,"Change clothes!", and it goes back to nicks default suit.

Also, for anyone who hasn't done it there is some free dlc up on the stores game page or at least I assume its still up there (clothes,weapons, magazines).

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

You can run out of time, yes. The game does not pace you to do story missions like it did in previous games. Dunno if you will make it if you're playing nightmare mode, it doesn't really give you much time to dick around. They might as well just take away the side missions completely for Nightmare mode.

Love being able to just shout,"Change clothes!", and it goes back to nicks default suit.

Also, for anyone who hasn't done it there is some free dlc up on the stores game page or at least I assume its still up there (clothes,weapons, magazines).

Is it the Frank and Chuck DLC or something new?

Dead

well not really...yet
Does a person you save in a side mission follow you until they die or is there a way to dismiss them?

ahartig

Does a person you save in a side mission follow you until they die or is there a way to dismiss them?

All of the ones that have followed me have done so until there imminent death......

You could give them food to help them survive, but if they are stupid enough to not grab food on their own, then they deserve to die. Especially that idiot Simon, fuck that guy.

derFeef

They grab food if you hit right on the dpad twice. Also you can enable/disable them at every safehouse at that billboard.

Anyone know where to find a chainsaw?

Head North East from where the guy is and you'll find a hardware store with a chainsaw...

You can dismiss them in safe-houses by using the board. Make sure you've done the spray paint side mission to unlock them. If you haven't, head towards the motel from the garage.....

I think my Dick died. Is that possible?

I don't believe it is...

Just got a survivor only to have him killed in less than a minute as he was useless.

Btw I have a timer question, I've seen conflicting things, some saying when the main timer is over, the game ends and another saying all sides end but main missions can still be played but the ending is set is stone at that point, which is it?

T.O.P

Banned
This might be the best dead rising yet to be honest. Incredibly fun.

this so much

first 30 minutes were kind of a clusterfuck gotta be honest, too dark, getting used to the control scheme etc,

then

spaced3.gif

so much stuff to do, so many weapon, combos, lots of locations to explore

and donnow how many times i said "holy shit so many zombies"

because seriously, HOLY SHIT

oh btw, where can i find the borat suit?

I'm in chapter 4 doing the story mission, and just met on the rooftop. Now I need to
infiltrate the compound. It gives the option of wearing a disguise. Is that the Army Fatigues, SWAT Outfit, Special Ops Outfit, or Police Outfit? I've completed the first 2, so if it's one of those I'm set.

EDIT: I tried
SWAT and Army Fatigues and the guys still came after me, so I'm guessing it's Special Ops, which I have none of so far. =/

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I made a grave mistake and did not save during overtime (didnt even realize it was possible), and now I gotta do the last part of chapter 7... again. And then do overtime... again.

Can anyone tell me roughly how long chapter 7 is? I just started it and I want to know if I should try and finish it up tonight.

Grisby

Just got past the 'lust' boss. This game is really great. It has a darker color palette than the previous two DR's but it makes for a more maniacal tone.

I'm pretty impressed by the graphics and all. The lighting in some areas at night look really cool (along with the motel area) and the cutscenes aren't too shabby either.

With that said, I think you can definitely spot of the launch warts with texture pop in and fading objects. Also, the shadows in my safe houses continue to wig out whenever you move the camera in a certain direction. Even had a weird blue spot pop up for a bit at certain areas of the screen (I'm kind of expecting a full meltdown the next time I come back to one).

Still, I think this is a pretty damn good game. The weapon combinations have all been a blast = and the car stuff is neat as well.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Can anyone tell me roughly how long chapter 7 is? I just started it and I want to know if I should try and finish it up tonight.

Not too long, I would estimate at least 30-45 minutes if you watch all the cutscenes and don't dilly dally.

On that note, Just beat nightmare mode, time to have some fun with the megabuster. Does my progress carry over to normal story mode?

I'm confused? I avoided the first two games because of being timed. I don't like to be rushed through games.

But I thought if I did story mode in this then I could take my time and explore the world. I've been messing about trying to find the blue prints and the bodies that you can examine to see how they died.

Though that means in all likely hood I can't finish the main story? What is the point of all that side stuff then? I'm walking away from the game and selling it. I don't want to fanny around having a good old explore and then suddenly find I can't continue because I'm out of time. Gutted.

Heysoos

Yeah how does time proceed in this game? I picked that completionist setting or whatever in the beginning, does time move at the same pace on all modes? If so what side quests should I consider doing and what should I ignore? Also what should I invest my attribute points on first and if a survivor dies while they are out with me, are they gone forever?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lol, I'm starting to think I'm gonna be screwed. Still in chapter 3 with less than 4 days left, this chapter has been taking awhile. No biggie though.

To the people asking, it'll work like any other DR where progress is always saved and kept over. You could just straight up spent one entire cycle of the game exploring. Get blueprints, find tragic endings, level up, etc. and that just makes an actual playthrough easier and faster as you'll be more powerful and have more weapon options.

It is however super misleading how they talked up the game. Not having an actual time limit on the main missions to have them expire yet still have it all tied to a central clock that expires, and side missions still having a normal timer is not how I expected the game to play after the prerelease stuff, haha. I actually backed out of nightmare mode(didn't know where to find a bathroom and the progression of the game just recently clicked regarding that) but it seemed the same there, as the main missions don't seem to ever expire now. Only in there it seemed the clock moved faster in general as I saw the cutscene for night time a lot sooner.

Time progresses during the story mode but its incredibly slow. I grabbed almost all of the collectables (missed three in the power plant), hit level 50, finished all the side missions (including the smartglass path), filled out my survivor roster (24/24) and still had almost two days left on the bomb timer. I wasn't particularly rushing either and had a couple of co-op mess-around zombie-killing sessions. Just make sure to keep the story moving along occasionally and use vehicles to get across the highways.

I don't feel the sidequests are as well implemented into the structure of the game as in the previous titles. Before, certain sidequests popped up at specific times and there was a strategy to working out how to finish everything within each sidequest's time limit. Now a new batch shows up after each major story hit and they all seem to expire at the same time.

Finally, Ultimate Shout is incredibly over-powered.

B-Dex

I'm confused? I avoided the first two games because of being timed. I don't like to be rushed through games.

But I thought if I did story mode in this then I could take my time and explore the world. I've been messing about trying to find the blue prints and the bodies that you can examine to see how they died.

Though that means in all likely hood I can't finish the main story? What is the point of all that side stuff then? I'm walking away from the game and selling it. I don't want to fanny around having a good old explore and then suddenly find I can't continue because I'm out of time. Gutted.

I had 3 days left at the end of my story mode playthrough doing all side missions and finding a large chunk of collectibles. Even if you do manage to fudge it you can restart and it'll keep everything you've found/leveled up and breeze back to where you were when you ran out of time previously.

Ah that is good if you keep stuff over for a replay :)

For what its worth I have played for maybe 5 hours so far and haven't even gone to the
cemetery for the zombrex mission. Or headed to the sewers I believe it was? as part of the main story - a yellow marker is a main mission?
I've been too busy wondering how the hell to get to certain items marked on the map which seem to be devilishly hard to actually get to :)

Hubble

I don't get it. I know technical issues are there but the Dead Risings imo have been some of the best games of last generation and 3 is fantastic. I don't understand how they receive low scores. There is no other 'Dead Rising' or other game like it, just like there is no other Grand Theft Auto (I know a stretch analogy) but you know what I mean. There is just no other game like it. It's original and deserves much more praise than this game gets. I know a lot of people don't even try the Dead Risings because of its low appeal from reviews, but the game is just awesome for anyone to play.

What "unlocks" safehouses? I ran into one early in the game and didn't know what it was. Later I came back to the area and it was unlocked

spannicus

This game is awesome, I didnt think I would be having as much fun as i'm having with it. For a launch title, it's pretty good to have.

Papercuts

What "unlocks" safehouses? I ran into one early in the game and didn't know what it was. Later I came back to the area and it was unlocked

Going in them and killing zombies clears it. The one near the start by the garage is fairly misleading as you can be inside a store right on the icon and see nothing, it's actually above it. There are symbols to look for and usually a bit of platforming is needed to reach them.

Going in them and killing zombies clears it. The one near the start by the garage is fairly misleading as you can be inside a store right on the icon and see nothing, it's actually above it. There are symbols to look for and usually a bit of platforming is needed to reach them.

Yeah, I cleared out the second one I saw. The first one I noticed was by this girl with spray paint and I could never see how to get inside since all the doors were locked. Then I came back later and it was unlocked with no zombies inside

Papercuts

Yeah, I cleared out the second one I saw. The first one I noticed was by this girl with spray paint and I could never see how to get inside since all the doors were locked. Then I came back later and it was unlocked with no zombies inside

Oh, that one's a freebie as it's the first real safehouse. So far the rest have needed cleared out that I've seen.

Does character progress carry over from Nightmare to Normal, and vice versa? (I doubt it) That would make a quick run through Nightmare mode much easier. I'm hoping to finish my Normal mode playthrough and still have enough time to rush through Nightmare for the challenge to beat it within a week of launch.

Hmm...ok. It's just weird that it was locked off. Maybe I hadn't progressed the story enough. Thanks

I played that part in coop the first time, and the girl was there and my friend (the host of the game) got her as a follower. When I did it in my game she was nowhere to be seen, I had to clear the zombies in the building, and she never showed up as a follower. Maybe she showed up as a side mission and died because I was ignoring the side missions at first?

Lucent

Does character progress carry over from Nightmare to Normal, and vice versa? (I doubt it) That would make a quick run through Nightmare mode much easier. I'm hoping to finish my Normal mode playthrough and still have enough time to rush through Nightmare for the challenge to beat it within a week of launch.

Yeah. One of my friends was level 25 on standard mode and decided to try nightmare. He was still level 25.

derFeef

I can echo the sentiment that this game starts out somehow boring and characters seem uninteresting, bit it does take off pretty fast.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This game is too easy now, and I feel incredibly overpowered playing normal mode and clearing out all of the quests. Still an enjoyable game but feels like i'm going through the motions at this point. Gonna try and get most of the achievements.

Thrax

Banned
I simply can't get the SmartGlass App to reliably connect to the game.

:(

I've rebooted the XB1.
I've rebooted the Ipad.

The interface launches but the Home Screen Button remains inactive.

It seems to work about 2/10 times. Bleh. The rest of the Smart Glass app works fine, zipping about the XB1 dashboard.

Also: What about locked doors in the game? Are those codes from the app too?

derFeef

I simply can't get the SmartGlass App to reliably connect to the game.

:(

I've rebooted the XB1.
I've rebooted the Ipad.

The interface launches but the Home Screen Button remains inactive.

It seems to work about 2/10 times. Bleh. The rest of the Smart Glass app works fine, zipping about the XB1 dashboard.

Also: What about locked doors in the game? Are those codes from the app too?
I got it to work now but I need to tap the top xbox icon in the smartglass app and reconnect it, then launch the companion app.

Top Bottom