• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 |OT| Welcome to the After Party

derFeef

yeah but right now I need a chainsaw. Where can I find one? Just wander around looking? If it were DR1, for example, I'd look for HARDWARE STORE on the map or something.

Is that part of a sidequest? Just set that sidequest active on the map screen, it leads you to one.

I think I'm rushing my play a bit too much :( almost done with the 3rd chapter and I barely have 5k zombie kills and I'm at lvl 13.

I think I missed the 1st "boss", anyway to go back and fight him or am I screwed until I try and replay the game after I'm done?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
After the rough intro, I started getting into this game and having a blast, the variety of combo weapons i've seen so far has been great. Had to turn off online though, was playing with some dude who wanted to rush the game and did not want to do the side missions :/

Question though: Side missions have timers, but main missions do not (playing nightmare mode). Could I potentially play through all the days without touching the story and mess the run up? Basically, I gotta pace myself to do the story missions right?

I did not like the ending after the ending, stuff like that rubs me wrong.
Plus they effectively ended the franchise, any other dead rising would take a retcon, I guess the series ends where it started.

GavinGT

Banned
yeah but right now I need a chainsaw. Where can I find one? Just wander around looking? If it were DR1, for example, I'd look for HARDWARE STORE on the map or something.

Smartglass shows you where the nearest store of any type is located. So you just select "stores" and then click on the hardware logo.

Grisby

There was one by the suburban houses when you're on your way to Rhonda's Garage.

How do I beat that psycho in chapter 1 the
the zen monk guy. He keeps regenerating his health and when I get close to me lee he attacks faster

the zen monk guy. He keeps regenerating his health and when I get close to me lee he attacks faster

When he disappears he jumps to one of the pillars in the arena. Find him by tapping the right stick and then either shoot or throw something at him.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Loving the look of this game at night.
7b9da539_MediaCaptureGame1X2013-11-2416-23-40-545.png

90b9b346_MediaCaptureGame1X2013-11-2416-25-19-308.png

[..]]

I'm sorry but those are terrible, terrible captures.
I don't have the game but that doesn't look right, fix your capture card's gamma settings and check if you've set it up as RGB Limited or RGB Full, because it seems you have the XBone as RGB FULL while your card doesn't support it or isn't properly set up.
I mean, those screens are basically the perfect example of crushed blacks.

Timu

I'm sorry but those are terrible, terrible captures.
I don't have the game but that doesn't look right, fix your capture card's gamma settings and check if you've set it up as RGB Limited or RGB Full, because it seems you have the XBone as RGB FULL while your card doesn't support it or isn't properly set up.
I mean, those screens are basically the perfect example of crushed blacks.
It's RGB Limited and capture card is on default. The gamma was increased from the game itself, now my last resort is to set the gamma on max because it's getting ridiculous now, next time I post the gamma will be maxed out.

PG2G

Don't get greedy, hit him with one or two light attacks or one strong then run like hell. Keep moving until he attacks and misses then go in and get a hit or two

KillGore

The best launch game so far. I'm loving it, though the map infuriates me. It's like they want you to think the map is bigger than it really is (surprised by how small it is) by blocking the shortcuts and making you go the long way. Also, I wish that the map could give me an outline of where to go when I highlight a specific place, especially when I'm on a car. I think that's a standard thing on all open world games, not sure how they missed that here.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It's RGB Limited and capture card is on default. The gamma was increased from the game itself, now my last resort is to set the gamma on max because it's getting ridiculous now, next time I post the gamma will be maxed out.

What do you mean by "it's getting ridiculous"? I see mine was the only post commenting on your pics, besides another post -above mine- liking them a lot, and I was just trying to help you out; by all means if you like it that way then just leave it as is and don't mind me :) I'm not that familiar with capture equipment but I've calibrated TVs/PJs plenty of times for work where I had to take a slight deviation from what the tools were saying, simply because the end user wasn't satisfied and liked their image with a bit more punch: I obviously tried to inform those clients the best I could and never put up torch mode, horrible post-fx or something like that, but in the end who am I to dictate how someone MUST enjoy their expensive sets once I've pointed out how I feel about such practices? So maybe I'd just add a tad more pop to color and contrast trying as much as possible to not affect skin tones).
Of course, if you post screen grabs I think I'm allowed to post my own opinion :)
About you card's default RGB settings, are you sure it's not set at 0-255 color space by default instead of 16-235? Some cards do.

Timu

What do you mean by "it's getting ridiculous"? I see mine was the only post commenting on your pics, besides another post -above mine- liking them a lot, and I was just trying to help you out; by all means if you like it that way then just leave it as is and don't mind me :) I'm not that familiar with capture equipment but I've calibrated TVs/PJs plenty of times for work where I had to take a slight deviation from what the tools were saying, simply because the end user wasn't satisfied and liked their image with a bit more punch: I obviously tried to inform those clients the best I could and never put up torch mode, horrible post-fx or something like that, but in the end who am I to dictate how someone MUST enjoy their expensive sets once I've pointed out how I feel about such practices? So maybe I'd just add a tad more pop to color and contrast trying as much as possible to not affect skin tones).
Of course, if you post screen grabs I think I'm allowed to post my own opinion :)
About you card's default RGB settings, are you sure it's not set at 0-255 color space by default instead of 16-235? Some cards do.
What I mean by ridiculous is that I keep changing the settings and it still isn't right, lol. My last hope is to do max gamma.

I would have to alter the capture card settings to do that, though I tend to want to match the original look as close as possible. As for RGB settings on my capture card, I don't know what settings they're on.D=

So maybe I'm an idiot but I could have sworn I saw execution type moves when I watched a stream of this game how do I do those?

So maybe I'm an idiot but I could have sworn I saw execution type moves when I watched a stream of this game how do I do those?

I don't know the exact way they work but seem after killing enough zombies you get a prompt on the top left to push two buttons and depending what weapon you have. You get different moves.

I don't know the exact way they work but seem after killing enough zombies you get a prompt on the top left to push two buttons and depending what weapon you have. You get different moves.
Hmmmm ok I'll have to try slaying more at a time than. Can anyone elaborate?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hmmmm ok I'll have to try slaying more at a time than. Can anyone elaborate?

They work sorta like a killstreak would in a CoD. After 10 kills you'll see it pop up to hit Y+B, it only works if you have a killchain going. After that it multiplies your PP and will let you do it again after another amount, so on and so forth as the PP multipliers keep stacking.

It is, but my character is just the objective...I'm confused. :\

As mentioned, smartglass works for this as it has a Find Store icon which locates a specific type, then it automatically waypoints it on the map. Isn't ideal but seems to be the only way until you learn the map yourself.

Does anyone know if you can play on after finishing the main storyline? I'm only a few hours in but I don't think I'm going to have time to hunt out all the stuff on the map

Really enjoying this so far, spent this weekend grinding myself up to level 50. For folks looking to get PP quickly without running through sidequests, the melee move where you grab a zombie and spin it is an absolute beast, and if you have the extra melee damage magazine equipped, it'll clear out a crowd hella fast in addition to giving a big boost to your PP bar.

My one annoyance with this game: the map doesn't display the names of the buildings when you put your cursor over them. Makes searching through the city a bit harder.

So got into work this morning and a buddy of mine who is also playing it says he can't progress the story early on in normal mode. He got the mission that puts you in that armored car with the lady, but instead of heading to the area with the biker boss, he screwed around, she died, and now he doesn't seem to be able to have any missions or continue the story. Is he screwed and is that normal? lol

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So got into work this morning and a buddy of mine who is also playing it says he can't progress the story early on in normal mode. He got the mission that puts you in that armored car with the lady, but instead of heading to the area with the biker boss, he screwed around, she died, and now he doesn't seem to be able to have any missions or continue the story. Is he screwed and is that normal? lol

This is normal as per previous games.

I have 9 hours left. Fuck Nightmare mode is no joke.

They should really call it "rush and don't do anything besides the main quest" mode. I dicked around way too much and only finished chapter 3 before the bomb.

Grisby

I've just been killing zombies. I did do the first side pyscho mission and survivor mission. I really like that you can just drop them off at that first safe house. Did notice some weird shadow stuff going on graphically in there but it was only when I tilted the camera a certain way.

The mecha dragon getup is so much fun.

This is normal as per previous games.

So his story missions are boned then. Can he restart just like in the previous game and keep his levels? :D I would normally have anwers to his questions but he played much more then me this weekend. *edit* I'm just trying to figure out if he gone boned cause she died, or cause he didn't do the main mission in a certain time limit after initiating it. If it's cause she died, I hope it's not easy for main missions folks to bite it.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So his story missions are boned then. Can he restart just like in the previous game and keep his levels? :D I would normally have anwers to his questions but he played much more then me this weekend.

Yes you do keep all of your stuff and unlocks. I tested this yesterday. It will say "new game" but it's really new game plus. You even keep your zombie kill count, whatever blueprints you picked up, and your level.

Yes you do keep all of your stuff and unlocks. I tested this yesterday. It will say "new game" but it's really new game plus. You even keep your zombie kill count, whatever blueprints you picked up, and your level.

Awesome. Great to know. Thanks for the info. :D

RaptorGTA

Man..Im really tempted to pick this game up. Seems really good.

GAF, is it worth the full price or should I wait till it drops?

Skytylz

Banned
Does anyone know if you get all the skills by the time you hit level 50? Or is it possible to redo chapters to get the additional skill points necessary to max? I'm asking because I'm at level 25 now and starting to wonder if I should be careful with what skills I pick since some of the level 50 ones seem really strong.

Does anyone know if you get all the skills by the time you hit level 50? Or is it possible to redo chapters to get the additional skill points necessary to max? I'm asking because I'm at level 25 now and starting to wonder if I should be careful with what skills I pick since some of the level 50 ones seem really strong.

Level 50 isn't enough to get everything, but after you hit 50, you still keep accumulating PP and earning points; your level just doesn't go up. If you're willing to grind it out (I still haven't gone past chapter 4 because I felt like maxing my skills beforehand), you can max out everything.

Top Bottom