• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 |OT| Welcome to the After Party

abracadaver

I want to see comparison screenshots of DR1 vs DR3

I remember DR1 looking awesome in 2006 it was clean and smooth and already had hundreds of zombies on screen. DR3 comes out 7 years later on new hardware running in the same resolution. The biggest graphical upgrade I notice is the lighting effects from flashlights and headlights. Its kinda sad actually that they couldnt get this game to run in 1080p because unless my mind tricks me this game doesnt seem like a big improvement to me from a visual standpoint.

I played that part in coop the first time, and the girl was there and my friend (the host of the game) got her as a follower. When I did it in my game she was nowhere to be seen, I had to clear the zombies in the building, and she never showed up as a follower. Maybe she showed up as a side mission and died because I was ignoring the side missions at first?

That could be it. I'm not positive, but I thought she was part of a side mission when I found her

I'm on what I believe is the last mission and man is it tedious.

Edit:

Just finished the game and that last mission really was the worst.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I'm on what I believe is the last mission and man is it tedious.

Edit:

Just finished the game and that last mission really was the worst.

It is kinda bad, but once you understand the formula and
the fact that there are assault rifles at every spot and you don't necessarily need to baby Chuck
it becomes easy. I would know, I had to do it three times.

It is kinda bad, but once you understand the formula and
the fact that there are assault rifles at every spot and you don't necessarily need to baby Chuck
it becomes easy. I would know, I had to do it three times.

I had plenty of guns and I kind of let Chuck do his own thing but still having to go from one corner of the map to another and do the same thing over and over was the definition of tedious. The final boss fight wasn't much fun either.
Overall I really liked the game so I won't let that mission spoil it for me.

Grisby

Yeah, it was pretty funny. Every time I hear it I end up relearning its history on Wikipedia.

Been digging all the pyscho's. The glutton's ending was pretty nasty.

danwarb

I was wary about getting Dead Rising 3 after DF's pre-release analysis, but that was bullshit. The game at launch (with updates?) runs pretty flawlessly and looks good. It's really quite impressive to see those huge seas of zombies milling about with their asynchronous animations and different outfits, individuals and various groups reacting to different things.

This is also I'd say the best DR with regard to story, and characters, and gameplay. As well as everything else. The bosses all have their obvious weak points so it's never frustrating.

I'd give it a 9/10. A lot of the pre-release reviews complain about performance issues that don't seem to exist now.

rav

I played through the game 2-3 times yesterday. (Nightmare 2x, and screwed around too much the first part of the playthrough, had to restart.)
I wasn't able to get 2nd screen stuff to work at all.
Although, I did see it working on launch day. Am I missing out on much? and is that what those chests around town open from? (anything good in them?)

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I was wary about getting Dead Rising 3 after DF's pre-release analysis, but that was bullshit. The game at launch (with updates?) runs pretty flawlessly and looks good. It's really quite impressive to see those huge seas of zombies milling about with their asynchronous animations and different outfits, individuals and various groups reacting to different things.

This is also I'd say the best DR with regard to story, and characters, and gameplay. As well as everything else. The bosses all have their obvious weak points so it's never frustrating.

I'd give it a 9/10. A lot of the pre-release reviews complain about performance issues that don't seem to exist now.

I wouldn't say it runs flawlessly, I've seen my fair share of frame rate dips, but it is no where near as bad as it was overblown to be (perhaps thanks to the patch), it is fairly bearable and with the amount of action going on screen, most of the time I just let it slide. It does have it's fair share of glitches that i've unfortunately run into in my playthroughs. But I gotta agree, the story is pretty interesting this time around, and the fact that there are rarely load times makes the game for me. Dr 1 and 2 really broke up a lot of the momentum it had with constant load screens.

Lucent

The zombie eating him at the end was like taking a piss on the corpse.

Been looking for a firemans jacket and helmet in passing but haven come across one yet. Full SWAT gear is badass though and I love the COD ghost mask thing.

Me and a friend came across a firefighter station the other night and it had everything for the fireman suit. I don't remember where it is exactly. =l

Grisby

Me and a friend came across a firefighter station the other night and it had everything for the fireman suit. I don't remember where it is exactly. =l
I figured there would be one but I haven't come across it yet. Might go hunting for it. On chapter 5 with 2 days and some change to go.

derFeef

The crazy thing is there are lots of fireman zombies - you can rack up points there pretty well.

danwarb

The motions blur in DR3 makes it appear smoother that your typical 30fps game. I've been stopping occasionally to spin the camera, and the worst I've seen is maybe few frame skips that have smoothed out the second time around. It's far from the 10fps reported pre-launch.

Loving it. I'd forgotten all about the bees.

The motions blur in DR3 makes it appear smoother that your typical 30fps game. I've been stopping occasionally to spin the camera, and the worst I've seen is maybe few frame skips that have smoothed out the second time around. It's far from the 10fps reported pre-launch.

Someone needs to tweet DF and ask them if they'll be doing another analysis...

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm glad I bought a bone. This has been by far the most fun game available at launch besides AC4

Sorry to go OT, but is AC4 good then? I'm looking to buy some games tomorrow and was thinking about this, but AC3 really soured me on the series...

YES!!!! Highly reccomended, especially if you like pirate stuff.

Also on topic....I got my phone a new upgrade via their website and now I can download smart glass! :D YESS

Grisby

Loving it. I'd forgotten all about the bees.
Now that I'm about halfway through I;ve begun to notice a lot more little graphical quirks. Framerate can definitely take a hit when driving fast into other zones and I've seen it bog down when there are a lot of zombies on screen.

Still, the game runs a lot better than DR2 and like I said the other night this game has impressed me a bunch of times.

Dead

well not really...yet
I haven't. I had actually forgotten about them until just now. Where can I find them? Tempted to roll up in a rollerhog and see if they can stand up to my electric hammer...
you'll meet them as you progress through the story

I dont remember if the Blanka head was in DR2 or 1, but either way, it is amazing lol

YES!!!! Highly reccomended, especially if you like pirate stuff.

Also on topic....I got my phone a new upgrade via their website and now I can download smart glass! :D YESS

The OT is full of people who disliked 3 and who are now enjoying 4.

Thanks. That's me sold. Think I'll get AC4, Ryse and maybe NBA 2K14 or £50 credit so I can buy CD, Powestar and Loco...

Hmm. Decisions, decisions...

you'll meet them as you progress through the story

I dont remember if the Blanka head was in DR2 or 1, but either way, it is amazing lol

Thanks. I really do need to focus on the story, I'm still stuck on chapter 3 and haven't progressed since getting there on Sunday.

And yeah, it was in DR2 but it didn't have the shocking power. (at least not that I remember)

Timu

I want to see comparison screenshots of DR1 vs DR3

I remember DR1 looking awesome in 2006 it was clean and smooth and already had hundreds of zombies on screen. DR3 comes out 7 years later on new hardware running in the same resolution. The biggest graphical upgrade I notice is the lighting effects from flashlights and headlights. Its kinda sad actually that they couldnt get this game to run in 1080p because unless my mind tricks me this game doesnt seem like a big improvement to me from a visual standpoint.
I now decided to post DR1, DR2 and DR3 for comparisons, and yes, the DR1 and DR2 shots are my direct feeds.

iHorbvKIBtDMS.png

ibkNHSSW1dXKLn.png

iGEfGbGIyfXpO.png

I'll say the jump is pretty big!

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I now decided to post DR1, DR2 and DR3 for comparisons, and yes, the DR1 and DR2 shots are my direct feeds.

iHorbvKIBtDMS.png

ibkNHSSW1dXKLn.png

iGEfGbGIyfXpO.png

I'll say the jump is pretty big!

First 2 shots being inside then 3 being outside is my only minor gripe with those screenshots.

Finished the story. Thoughts... Mostly on the story.

I was quite disappointed early on to find little in the way of a connection to Dead Rising 1 & 2... and then jumped out of my skin in the museum at standees of Frank & Chuck, then again when wheelchair lady from Case West showed up, and then again still at the Chuck revelation.

I love the manner the DR universe handles zombies and the infection, and it's really cool to see it pan out. So there's a cure out there now, but -- I wonder where it all goes from here? Isabella seems too far off the rails to just leave it there. There's lots of interesting scope - and other interesting touches, like Chuck talking about "being a bad guy" and how now he's going "to be a good guy again" - but the last time we saw him, he was fighting the good fight with Frank -- so what happened in those middle years?

All very curious. I really like the storyline around this universe, and I hope it continues to grow. A Case Zero/Case West style prologue or epilogue would be great.

Loved the game. Some of the things I was concerned would risk ruining it - the weapons locker system, for instance - just didn't at all. The opposite, in fact. It does feel an awful lot like a current gen game - you can feel the DR2 cogs turning underneath this, the next gen horsepower only really used for putting vast amounts of zombies on screen and prettiness, but I can get behind that. Really enjoyed this game all in all. DR as a series is 3 for 3 so far for me!

Vee_One

Is it easy to run out of time? I'm currently in Chapter 3 destroying cameras and I have had a warning telling me I only have 5 days left. Am I likely to run out of time?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am loving this game. It took awhile to figure out the different quirks but I am seeing why they changed everything they did. The only thing I still am not much of a fan of is being able to just instantly remake all the combo weapons from a weapon locker, as the mega ultimate whatever weapons are INSANELY powerful, and even with a limit you can still grab two of them off a single bar.

First 2 shots being inside then 3 being outside is my only minor gripe with those screenshots.

DR1 and 2 were primarily indoors, 3 isn't.

maomao

Banned
I thought I was playing the story with no timer and I can do all the missions. But there is a clock still and missions does expire. Is there a mode with no time limit?

Im level 10 so fairly new to the game and series in general. I see a lot of people wearing outfits. IT says i have a few unlocked and weapons in my weapons locker - how do i access these in the SP campaign?

Can i take my time and do all the sidequests with the 6 day time limit? Thats what i hated about DR2 - the time limit. Do i still have to rush?

Mononoke

Banned

I really enjoy Dead Rising 3. BUT, I think this game looks like shit. I'm on a 55 inch 1080p TV, and it has a lot of jaggies. I'm actually surprised this game is a Next Gen release. Although the sheer amount of zombies on screen at once wasn't possible on the 360, fair enough.

I will say, the game doesn't run as bad as pre-release stuff said it did. It doesn't have frame drops as bad as I thought it would. So in that sense I agree with you. But this is probably the ugliest looking game at launch (including PS4's launch lineup).

Papercuts

Im level 10 so fairly new to the game and series in general. I see a lot of people wearing outfits. IT says i have a few unlocked and weapons in my weapons locker - how do i access these in the SP campaign?

Can i take my time and do all the sidequests with the 6 day time limit? Thats what i hated about DR2 - the time limit. Do i still have to rush?

They have clothing and weapon lockers in each safehouse, which are the little house icons on the map. One of the early side missions with the girl and the spraypaint leads you to one, the rest are infested and need to be cleared out. The map takes a bit to get used to as it doesn't show elevation, these are usually higher up and need some platforming to reach. Then you can pick any of your weapons or clothes previously picked up.

So, basically, pick up any and everything you want. I like Nick's normal outfit but I am picking up everything I see in this one as you can say Remove Clothes to always go back to his default.

And the side missions are still timed but it seems very lenient. I am exploring and getting a load of collectibles and have never come close to anything expiring on the standard mode.

I really enjoy Dead Rising 3. BUT, I think this game looks like shit. I'm on a 55 inch 1080p TV, and it has a lot of jaggies. I'm actually surprised this game is a Next Gen release. Although the sheer amount of zombies on screen at once wasn't possible on the 360, fair enough.

I will say, the game doesn't run as bad as pre-release stuff said it did. It doesn't have frame drops as bad as I thought it would. So in that sense I agree with you. But this is probably the ugliest looking game at launch (including PS4's launch lineup).

Yeah, it's not very pretty. It actually looks nice at random times, I like the lighting a lot and while exploring there's a lot of dark areas that are neat to explore with the flashlight(or taking out a fire sword), but it's more in subdued areas like that.

But I did try to play DR2 again a few months ago and was kinda shocked at how it ran. Dips all over the place at the start before really seeing anything, so this game pumping so many zombies and being much smoother is doing wonders for play ability.

Mononoke

Banned
They have clothing and weapon lockers in each safehouse, which are the little house icons on the map. One of the early side missions with the girl and the spraypaint leads you to one, the rest are infested and need to be cleared out. The map takes a bit to get used to as it doesn't show elevation, these are usually higher up and need some platforming to reach. Then you can pick any of your weapons or clothes previously picked up.

So, basically, pick up any and everything you want. I like Nick's normal outfit but I am picking up everything I see in this one as you can say Remove Clothes to always go back to his default.

And the side missions are still timed but it seems very lenient. I am exploring and getting a load of collectibles and have never come close to anything expiring on the standard mode.

I'm only 5 hours into this game, but yeah the map takes some getting used to. The elevation makes it hard to navigate and the mission way points are sometimes clunky. Also with areas of the city blocked off, it can get confusing fast. But the more you play, the more you start to memorize where things are.

Papercuts

I'm only 5 hours into this game, but yeah the map takes some getting used to. The elevation makes it hard to navigate and the mission way points are sometimes clunky. Also with areas of the city blocked off, it can get confusing fast. But the more you play, the more you start to memorize where things are.

This was bugging the shit out of me at the start, all the roadblocks. But yeah, the roads are actually fairly clear when you just look at the map and see the blocked off segments actually shown, and it becomes surprisingly easy to remember.

I also really love collectible hunting in this. The map barely helps so you have to check out the surroundings pretty well, see a roof of a building and see how you can reach it from nearby areas. I don't like how smartglass has some more in depth stuff like being able to track item types or find a nearby store of a certain type, though. It works well and all but that stuff should just be accessible in the game, and I dislike how they took out the names of stores while scrolling around as there's been a handful of specific searches for things like meat, chainsaws, acetylene tanks, etc.

Thanks for this. Ill check some safehouses then.

The blocked off things pissed me off. I went a huge way to get to some cemetery and it turns out that entire section was blocked off and i had to go all the way down the other side of the damn map.

Papercuts

http://sdrv.ms/1eBYJpm

So this grim reaper weapon is kinda insane. Wasn't sure how much the clip autorecorded, but it didn't get the rest of the rampage. Which was me getting to a 350 combo, and the weapon still not even flashing red. Goddamn.

Top Bottom