• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 |OT| Welcome to the After Party

Timu

i8B2rP2XulKA5.png

What a crazy boss fight!!!

Dereck

I've been ignoring the dodge roll pretty much throughout most of the game. I just started really using it and I've been dodging all kinds of attacks.

Nightmare mode is not the way to go on a first play through. There just isn't enough time.

I didn't even make it through chapter 3 before time ran out. You can't do the story missions, the side missions, and explore the world. The balance isn't that of the old games like it says it is. I don't see how you could play it on a first time through and do any side stuff in time.

Started over on normal mode, which isn't a bad thing since I kept my character progression.

I'm really enjoying the boss fights in this game, nice balance of pattern memorization and free form execution.

Technically this game is a legitimate next gen game. I went back and took a look at the DR2 family of games, and this is very much on another level.

cripterion

Just finished the game, didn't get all the stuff there was to get but definitely enjoy myself.
Story is nothing to write home about but I was pleased going through it. Would absolutely replay it in coop!

TheBear

Sounds like it's doing justice to the franchise, would you guys agree?
I bought the 360 because of DR1, there's a chance this game could do the same.

MrBS

Neglecting the shiny PS4 to play this. Curently level 28 at chapter 3. Loving my time with the game.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Remember that talk about how you won't see the same zombie twice?!?!?

Well. Kinda true. Don't think I ever thought to myself "oh look, same zombie I've killed 100 times". Though I guess firemen and po-po look kinda samey. To be fair, they do to me in real life as well.

I mean, compared to those Forza 5 crowds.. lol.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
is anyone playing this remotely straight? curious if you really need to go the outlandish route to get through certain sections. i expect to have to exploit uber powerful weapon combos for the psychos, but i'd like to go through the majority of the game with a more serious tone. anyone else doing the same that can offer impressions?

I am playing this on regular difficulty and I am noticing a day and hour countdown. I am disappointed by this. Does the game end when that gets to zero? I wanted to have as much time as I wanted to look around and shit.
Yes it will end, it did that to me. I was just exploring and stuff then time ran out. You can select the chapter again and you will be able to do it again. You keep all your upgrades and blue prints.

Dereck

is anyone playing this remotely straight? curious if you really need to go the outlandish route to get through certain sections. i expect to have to exploit uber powerful weapon combos for the psychos, but i'd like to go through the majority of the game with a more serious tone. anyone else doing the same that can offer impressions?
Remotely straight?

Lucent

I haven't had to use any crazy weapons to beat any so far. The psychos aren't that hard.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Sure, that's totally possible. I barely use the ultimate combo weapons as they're too good, I stick to more simpler stuff. Usually whatever blueprints are nearby.

Redshirt

Banned

You can definitely beat the game on standard mode without using weapon and vehicle combos if you want.

The psychos actually aren't that bad. It'd definitely be tough dealing with the hordes later in the game with just standard weapons but still doable.

I haven't finished Nightmare mode yet, but I doubt you'd be able to get through your objectives fast enough using just regular weapons to complete the game within the time limit.

GTI Guy

How the heck do you play co-op in this game? My friend and I tried last night, I would send him an invite and nothing would come thru and vice versa. Never could get it to work.

Satchel

Banned
I'm on my second playthrough.

Nick is maxed out as a motherfucker, but my OCD is forcing me to try and find all the stuff despite technically not needing to.

I have 10/13 Guns. What the hell are the other 3?!?

Another thing, I'm trying to get all the PP Trials and for some reason my Combo Food count never goes beyond 21 despite me constantly making combos. Is it glitching?

Gonna let the time run out on the second playthrough too, see what happens.

Grisby

Wonder what's up with the extra DLC were going to get,
will one of them continue the story?
The season pass promises new 'playable' characters and weapons, etc. I'll wait before I take the plunge but it looks interesting. I was a big fan of Case Zero so I'm hoping those packs offer something like it or Case West.
Remember that talk about how you won't see the same zombie twice?!?!?

Well. Kinda true. Don't think I ever thought to myself "oh look, same zombie I've killed 100 times". Though I guess firemen and po-po look kinda samey. To be fair, they do to me in real life as well.

I mean, compared to those Forza 5 crowds.. lol.
Yeah, that was actually pretty neat. Not like I was using a magnifying glass but I didn't see a lot of repeats

I seem to be coming across certain blue prints etc that are in hard to reach high places, and I have no clue how to reach a lot of them. Am I missing something obvious....do I get something that lets me jump up high like springy boots etc? (that sounds ridculous now I have typed it out :D O I'm lost as to what to do.

If anyone answers, then obviously spoiler it :) Thanks.

Grisby

I was gonna add that I like th pics as well Timu.
I seem to be coming across certain blue prints etc that are in hard to reach high places, and I have no clue how to reach a lot of them. Am I missing something obvious....do I get something that lets me jump up high like springy boots etc? (that sounds ridculous now I have typed it out :D O I'm lost as to what to do.

If anyone answers, then obviously spoiler it :) Thanks.
Nope, you got to climb. If there are no ways up a building then try to get to it by jumping from another rooftop. Try to see if there are any connecting planks of wood that you can get across as well.

If all else fails try to find a tall vehicle like a van and start from there.

So let's talking about the ending...

Seems they've
taken the cure path in case there aren't any more sequels. Now this makes sense and does tie off the series conveniently, but it's still pretty disappointing that they went that route...makes it much harder for any fourth game by default, unless they go the mutated route...which I guess could work and would make for a pretty interesting fourth title. evolved zombie types, more mutations....could be epic.

Oh and the final boss battle was terrible. Then again, every DR game has had a terrible final boss battle, so I guess it was in keeping with tradition.

derFeef

No Xbox One time since Friday :(
I will solve this today with Dead Rising - I think I am going to do the story now and leave all the other stuff for a second run.

Does anyone know if the sidemissions are tied to the main story progression? I guess that's the case.

So dissapointed I haven't played more of this... just been busy, company over, work, etc. I truly hope to get some good time in with it today. Been following the thread and just aboslutely love what I am seeing and reading.

No Xbox One time since Friday :(
I will solve this today with Dead Rising - I think I am going to do the story now and leave all the other stuff for a second run.

Does anyone know if the sidemissions are tied to the main story progression? I guess that's the case.

Yep, you get a new series of side missions after you complete each chapter. Psychos are also tied to campaign progression.

So dissapointed I haven't played more of this... just been busy, company over, work, etc. I truly hope to get some good time in with it today. Been following the thread and just aboslutely love what I am seeing and reading.

Yeah, it can be really hard to get some gaming in with other commitments. I resolved to play a chapter a night and it worked out pretty well. Had to forego doing a lot of the side missions, but those can be done at a later date.

Finished off all the psychos. Not bad, but they weren't as good as those in past titles. There being only seven didn't really make them any more memorable or interesting. Some good character designs though...

DSmalls84

Definitely my favorite launch title on either system so far and my favorite DR game. Just reached
OT
last night so I should finish it this week.

Definitely my favorite launch title on either system so far and my favorite DR game. Just reached
OT
last night so I should finish it this week.

Some advice, to make it less frustrating...

as soon as you're back in control, head to a safe house and stock up on Z.A.Rs and split shots. You'll need them...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So let's talking about the ending...

Seems they've
taken the cure path in case there aren't any more sequels. Now this makes sense and does tie off the series conveniently, but it's still pretty disappointing that they went that route...makes it much harder for any fourth game by default, unless they go the mutated route...which I guess could work and would make for a pretty interesting fourth title. evolved zombie types, more mutations....could be epic.

Hmmm...
I don't see the "cure" path as disappoint at all. If anything, they put Isabella into the same position as Carlito; She wants her and her families name to get out there, and not be trampled over by these evil foreigners who treated them like Guinea pigs.

I was kinda bummed at her being evil, but I thought they handled it well, and the idea that she could make events like this happen in totally different ways (such as controlling the effectiveness of the "cure", and infecting everyone more through it, or maybe even using that element of control to allow the creation of stealth agents that can "zombie out" on command) seems like it's a potential for a LOT more trickery / smarter, less braindead enemies as time goes on.

Oh and the final boss battle was terrible. Then again, every DR game has had a terrible final boss battle, so I guess it was in keeping with tradition.

Couldn't disagree more; DR Overtime! battles are great because they always end up as Man-to-Man, personal encounters. 2 guys in a private struggle, with a deathpit surrounding them. And the "collect a thon" leading up to that final fight gives you a chance to use those crazy weapons and instruments of mass destruction 1 more time, before then.

A final encounter should be able to summarize everything you've used in the game, while emphasizing it's best features, and make it into one big experience. From that standpoint, I think the game pulled it off well. Maybe there could have been a few more tricks to the final battle, but it wouldn't have made too much of a difference. I like a boss battle that doesn't boil down to "BUT THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM!" stupidity OVER and OVER, lol. Though one could argue that "Overtime!" itself is a version of that, in a way.

For reference, that General RAAM Boss battle in Gears 1 was my major boss disappointment. It didn't bring to mind any of the interesting or fun things I learned to do in the game... it was just another shooting corridor until win.

as soon as you're back in control, head to a safe house and stock up on Z.A.Rs and split shots. You'll need them...

You don't even need to do that, actually.
There are Gunstocks right behind the APCs that are near each "landing zone". Crates at the bottom of the trucks with basically infinite guns. You can make one on-demand as you arrive at each spot, or just use the default guns without combo.

Having a blast with this game but one thing that me and my friend noticed we've been missing are psychopaths. We just got done giving the girl her wedding ring and stuff and having to destroy the QDC speakers and what not and we've yet to come across a single psychopath. Are they hard to miss or integrated in the story mode?

Oh, also can you no longer mix drinks?

I increased the gamma and used an Avermedia capture card.

Yeah, turning up the gamma helps a lot. There are still some dark parts in the game that are absolutely crushed, though. It's a shame as I think the game is better looking than people give it credit for. It certainly feels next gen to me.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Having a blast with this game but one thing that me and my friend noticed we've been missing are psychopaths. We just got done giving the girl her wedding ring and stuff and having to destroy the QDC speakers and what not and we've yet to come across a single psychopath. Are they hard to miss or integrated in the story mode?

Psychos seem to pop up with the story. You get a "sidemission dump" each time you start a new charpter, and psychos can be included along with that.

And you can mix drinks after you get the ability to "combo foods". it's one of those top options on the stat point distribution screen.

Hmmm...
I don't see the "cure" path as disappoint at all. If anything, they put Isabella into the same position as Carlito; She wants her and her families name to get out there, and not be trampled over by these evil foreigners who treated them like Guinea pigs.

I was kinda bummed at her being evil, but I thought they handled it well, and the idea that she could make events like this happen in totally different ways (such as controlling the effectiveness of the "cure", and infecting everyone more through it, or maybe even using that element of control to allow the creation of stealth agents that can "zombie out" on command) seems like it's a potential for a LOT more trickery / smarter, less braindead enemies as time goes on.

I guess, if it means we get
smarter enemies, through Isabella tinkering with the virus or through the virus mutating, I'll be happy, but there's a feeling of this series being tied up with that ending. The threat is essentially over and while we get that Isabella tease at the end, it's not something that necessarily sets up a sequel...more like something that could be resolved in a DLC episode

Couldn't disagree more; DR Overtime! battles are great because they always end up as Man-to-Man, personal encounters. 2 guys in a private struggle, with a deathpit surrounding them. And the "collect a thon" leading up to that final fight gives you a chance to use those crazy weapons and instruments of mass destruction 1 more time, before then.

A final encounter should be able to summarize everything you've used in the game, while emphasizing it's best features, and make it into one big experience. From that standpoint, I think the game pulled it off well. Maybe there could have been a few more tricks to the final battle, but it wouldn't have made too much of a difference. I like a boss battle that doesn't boil down to "BUT THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM!" stupidity OVER and OVER, lol. Though one could argue that "Overtime!" itself is a version of that, in a way.

For reference, that General RAAM Boss battle in Gears 1 was my major boss disappointment. It didn't bring to mind any of the interesting or fun things I learned to do in the game... it was just another shooting corridor until win.

The one on one aspect is good and the fact that there's no final form nonsense, but the fights themselves aren't necessarily interesting or a memorable way to end the games. For example, you remember the final boss battle in RE5, as ridiculous as it was, it was memorable, that's not true of any DR game.

It was less of an issue in past DR games too as the psychos made up for it, but that's not the case here unfortunately. None of them were particularly memorable or interesting. The decision to focus on just seven, while sounding good, didn't really work in practice.

You can mix drinks, you have to unlock it though.

Psychos are linked to story progression, continue the story and you should get a call about a psycho or two...

Timu

Yeah, turning up the gamma helps a lot. There are still some dark parts in the game that are absolutely crushed, though. It's a shame as I think the game is better looking than people give it credit for. It certainly feels next gen to me.
I'll say it looks impressive for what it can do, game needs AA though.

DSmalls84

Will do. I have mostly been using that OP ElectricFire staff! It degrades slowly and can destroy single enemies or AOE. Great Weapon. I haven't put any points into ranged weapons yet though so hopefully I don't have any issues.

zorbsie

Not sure if this has been answered, but here goes. Is there enough points to get all the upgrades? And if not is there a way to respec? I've been dumping my points into smarts and had this terrible feeling I'm screwing myself over.

Top Bottom