• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 |OT| Welcome to the After Party

EBE

Not sure if this has been answered, but here goes. Is there enough points to get all the upgrades? And if not is there a way to respec? I've been dumping my points into smarts and had this terrible feeling I'm screwing myself over.

there are more than enough points to get all the upgrades. you should have everything by the time you hit 50, and any subsequent levels you reach wont actually count - that is, your counter never goes above fifty - but you will still get points for them.

beat the game on nightmare on my first run, got that megaman gun and proceeded to break the game with how powerful it is :)

youll get kills like crazy with that thing

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I guess, if it means we get
smarter enemies, through Isabella tinkering with the virus or through the virus mutating, I'll be happy, but there's a feeling of this series being tied up with that ending. The threat is essentially over and while we get that Isabella tease at the end, it's not something that necessarily sets up a sequel...more like something that could be resolved in a DLC episode

I just got that feeling that DR has always given me; the end sounds like it's full of hope, promise, and "Things won't be this bad, going forward!", but then rips that hope right out from under you, classic horror-movie fashion.

It actually feels like a really sensible follow-up to what Zombrex promised.
First one discovers a treatmen, then in a few more years, a cure. But all that ever leads to in ongoing series is "THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED! It adjusted to the cure after a few MORE years, and became EVEN STRONGER!"

The one on one aspect is good and the fact that there's no final form nonsense, but the fights themselves aren't necessarily interesting or a memorable way to end the games. For example, you remember the final boss battle in RE5, as ridiculous as it was, it was memorable, that's not true of any DR game.

I just love Melee combat, so whenever a game makes guns / ranged less important, and says "Now put ducking, weaving, and landing hits to a specific area" as the most important aspects of the fight, I'm plenty happy.

They're memorable to me in that they have a classic Hollywood set-up; they strip away all the silly, outlandish, and super-crazy, and just focus on a pure combat essence. Reminds me of old movies like Rambo, where the guns, tanks, explosions, and everything are all suddenly insignificant, and men have to settle issues in the most barbaric, pure way possible.

It was less of an issue in past DR games too as the psychos made up for it, but that's not the case here unfortunately. None of them were particularly memorable or interesting. The decision to focus on just seven, while sounding good, didn't really work in practice.

I dunno... The Psycho's seemed Par-the-course for me, really. And I found the
Battle VS your friend in the Space Suit to be really memorable, because I don't think DR has ever turned a trusted old friend into a psycho before. I was ESPECIALLY surprised he LIVE through the fight! And the music during that battle seemed WAY more significant than it needed to be, lol.

I felt a serious amount of series burnout after I beat DRII with a friend, but this felt fresh and enjoyable in all the ways I love about gaming on a "new gen". The events and boss battles felt like ideas from a linear game, but it's all presented in this absolutely huge area with a bunch of platformer-ish stuff to figure out, which hankered back to the fun I had finding random secrets in something like Wolfenstein 3D or a Dungeon Crawler.

Will do. I have mostly been using that OP ElectricFire staff! It degrades slowly and can destroy single enemies or AOE. Great Weapon. I haven't put any points into ranged weapons yet though so hopefully I don't have any issues.

I never put a single point into Ranged on my entire Story Mode playthrough, and had no issue with guns. They did exactly what I wanted them to throughout the whole game, so you should be fine! (And I LOVE the elemental staffs. It's like tossing some Dragon's Dogma into my DR, just like the PummelBlast feels like a direct Homage to Monster Hunter...)

Just finished up Nightmare mode last night. Jazz Hands are crazy overpowered. Used them on
the crane fight with Red
and literally took it out in three seconds.

All in all, a worthy title in the DR series. Although fuck that last PP goal for zombie kills. 200,000 kills, not counting ones I've gotten already? Maybe I'll give it a shot when the next timed challenge comes up.

Timu

That boss fight with the
4 loaders, that was pure hell, took like 10 tries to beat it, and it's not fair at all.

I love finding the tragic events.

It's like someone from GAF wrote them. All the puns and corney jokes.

After seeing all the pre-launch talk knocking DR3 for the framerate and graphics issues, I have to say it was all hype. This game looks as good as I wanted it to look and plays as well as any Dead Rising game before it.

Dead Rising 3 is an awesome game that shouldn't disappoint any fan of the series, or action games in general. A must-own as an Xbox One owner.

Cross post from XB1 OT:

The framerate and resolution in DR3 is awful. Sub-30 fps seems common, but I've been a PC gamer for a while and I'm definitely sensitive to changes. It's prety bad, the worst thing about DR3 though is the texture and object pop-in. You can be driving and crash into nothing and THEN have the wall/car/barrier pop in. It happens way too often. If you deny that you are either ignorant or blind. The boss fights are also plain awful. They have cool character designs and are voice acted pretty well, but the actual fights themselves are too easy. You can sit there and point blank them with guns with the occasional dodge-roll from time to time until they are dead. I also found the music unforgettable and turned it off after about an hour or so and just used my own. On the 7the chapter on my nightmare run my game reset out of nowhere, I lost about 30 mins. of progress which was very annoying.

That said, I love the game. It's a ton of fun. I probably have at least 30 hours in it or so. I love being able to create wepons on the fly and the amount of zombies is staggering. After I beat it a second time on Nightmare I had a blast with the Mega-Buster. It's a beast. Co-op also seems like it has the possibilty for some crazy antics with the few games Iplayed. How do you check for recent players who joined your game and were disconnected? Of the 8 new games for the Xbone and PS4 I bought in Nov. I'd put it number 2 behind Resogun and just ahead of AC4. Definitely above KZ4 and Knack. Though AC4 on PS4 is fantastic. Ryse is pretty and fun but very short, I can see myself getting into Forza, just haven't had the time yet to play it properly.

EBE

its a shame survivors dont carry over between new games. you only ever get them all until pretty late in the story, and by then they just arent worth calling out of your safe house. ive completed the game on both difficulties and have found every tragic death, clothing item, weapon and vehicle blueprint, frank trophy, and have destroyed every speaker but i still keep playing. killing zombies feels SOOOO good. need to try co op.

Timu

Good times with my recent survivor Carrie:
iV2PgoC8MBSMD.png

ibtS0ToG43LwiV.png

ibu0xRxIh98r1u.png

ibx0XfypEMbet.png

ifvQOMlHPYQeK.png

I'm having trouble with the SmartGlass mission: Locked and Loaded. I have cleared out the
Police Impound
and
Jamie directed me to enter the Police Station
, but the doors are locked and the status of the side mission now reads "wait for update from Jamie". Is this a glitch?

sangreal

Do you guys usually roll with your survivors? I'm still influenced by DR1 I guess (never played DR2) because my instinct is always to save them by getting back to a safehouse ASAP

nateeasy

Banned
Do you guys usually roll with your survivors? I'm still influenced by DR1 I guess (never played DR2) because my instinct is always to save them by getting back to a safehouse ASAP

once you level up enough you can bring them back from the dead. So I let them do whatever.

I'm having trouble with the SmartGlass mission: Locked and Loaded. I have cleared out the
Police Impound
and
Jamie directed me to enter the Police Station
, but the doors are locked and the status of the side mission now reads "wait for update from Jamie". Is this a glitch?

I had so much damn trouble with the Smartglass app, I don't think I'll bother with it in any future playthroughs. The tip to start the game with the app instead of from the XBO menu helped, but I ended up having to reboot the game after almost every quest, because the guy would call, get halfway through the description of the next mission, and then just hang. I'd have to completely reboot the game and the app to get it to advance. Some of the other features of the app (like finding item types when you're grinding the "Make 50 X" challenges) would have been helpful... If they actually worked consistently.

So, in answer to your question, try turning off the game and the app, then relaunching the game with the app. Might help.

sangreal

yeah, smartglass was really inconsistent for me except the map

I'm not surprised since it's just a website like the 360 companions and not one of the new native companions

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I roll solo. But yeah, I try to keep them alive and take them back to get rid of them.

Grisby

Good times with my recent survivor Carrie:
ifvQOMlHPYQeK.png
Oh my.
In DR2 I let a bunch of them come with me for the cheevo. Was pretty cool having an army. Most of the time I do roll solo.

Level 22 now. I roll with 3 Electric Crushers, a Grenade launcher and some rations. The Electric Crusher is so much fun and i love the way the lightning stuns the zombies. You can clear whole crowds with that.

I dont really use the guns that much - but always keep a ranged weapon/explosive handy when needed.

Dereck

Timu just send me your capture card you know I'm good for it.

Joking aside I don't know how bad the Roxio is in comparison.

Karak

That boss fight with the
4 loaders, that was pure hell, took like 10 tries to beat it, and it's not fair at all.

Not only that but though the control is improved it still can cause havoc in some of the boss fights.

Finally got to play and absorb the game. Explored alot on chapter 1. Found alot of blueprints, and fought the first psychopath. LOVING THIS. Also is there a way to stun the guy for the two-button prompt. I saw it once, wasn't sure hopw I got it, and I just beat him by running, shooting, and dodging alot.

iammeiam

Finally got to play and absorb the game. Explored alot on chapter 1. Found alot of blueprints, and fought the first psychopath. LOVING THIS. Also is there a way to stun the guy for the two-button prompt. I saw it once, wasn't sure hopw I got it, and I just beat him by running, shooting, and dodging alot.

Different bosses have different weaknesses that stun them--some I think can be taunted by yelling whatever The Kinect phrase for the fight is, and then they have specific vulnerabilities--the first one,
the guy in the Chinese garden, IIRC, can be stunned by hitting the gongs to make noises.

Grisby

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT9SBxdbz48&feature=youtu.be

Can anyone give me a hand? So I posted a few pages back about some graphical issues I had been having and I finally recorded one using the DVR thing. It seems to be most prevalent in safehouses and only when you turn the camera a certain way. I've also seen it happen on a building once. Sometimes it seems stronger after playing an hour and sometimes it seemed to happen when I was just getting into the game.

Maybe it has to do with the shadows freaking out or something? I dunno.

Trying to decide if I need to send in my X1 and would appreciate any comments.

Grisby

@Grisby
That's z-fighting, Battlefield 4 is full of it too, I get that too in that area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting
Ok, wow. Thanks a lot man for the fast reply. I really didn't want to have to send my system in.

"Causing one polygon to 'win' the z test". I've seen this effect before but I've never actually heard of the problem. I was looking up the faulty gpu stuff and since my problem didn't look like that, I couldn't really come to a conclusion.

At least it had a neat name. Z fightin'.

Timu

You need to post shots like these in the next gen console thread...the xbox needs some love!
Yeah I'm going to post some DR3 today in that thread and when I get Forza 5 and Ryse soon.

I have a lot of shots from Chapters 7 and 8 but they may be spoilers.

OmahaG8

Ok, someone help me. I am loving this game, but what in the eff.

I've paused the game several times, only to come back the load checkpoint/game over screen. I believe that the game is resuming based on a Kinect phrase or a sound I am making and it is interpreting as "let's go back to the game!" but I just want to know. What am I doing wrong?

I've paused the game several times, only to come back the load checkpoint/game over screen. I believe that the game is resuming based on a Kinect phrase or a sound I am making and it is interpreting as "let's go back to the game!" but I just want to know. What am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing, it's just sensitive to any word that sounds like resume is my guess.

Disable Kinect commands via the DR3 menu and see if it persists...

d0c_zaius

if you pause the game, use the xbox button to go out to the xbox home menu. I had the same problem with it randomly unpausing itself, but that only seems to happen if you remain "in game".

Beat DR3 last night and surprisingly I actually liked a lot of what they tried to do, how the open world felt having to backtrack through huge hoards of zombies, the importance of vehicles and the way they approached the characters (especially the bosses). Sure it has some FPS issues and can get repetitive, but I liked it a lot more than impressions lead me to believe.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Disable the menu commands, they're pretty useless and problematic for me. A lot of stuff seems to register for resume, like someone in the other room cutting onions for me.

Top Bottom