• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 |OT| Welcome to the After Party

I still haven't started this. Curse family, work, and app development sucking up all potential gaming time until holidays are over. Luckily that means I'll have plenty of games still fresh until spring (titanfall) hits

I wish you could turn off the dynamic music. It's Dead Rising. Of course you're gonna walk past hordes of zombies a bunch. It's not an intense thing that happens rarely.

Joined my friends, who just got the game, party last night and ran around for a few hours collecting blueprints and statues.

Constructed the Ultimate Grim Reaper blade and HOLY SHIT.

That has to be the most dominant thing I've seen so far for large groups of zombies. Just annihilates them. The Ultimate Shout thingy (with the orange cones) is pretty good also. But dat reaper. Sheesh.

xkramz

Joined my friends, who just got the game, party last night and ran around for a few hours collecting blueprints and statues.

That has to be the most dominant thing I've seen so far for large groups of zombies. Just annihilates them. The Ultimate Shout thingy (with the orange cones) is pretty good also. But dat reaper. Sheesh.
I'm enjoying the electricfire staff it's OP

eshwaaz

Is there a way to start a totally new game without blowing away my existing save? Being fully leveled up is fun, but I'd also like to start a new playthrough from scratch.

xkramz

What happens if a survivor in my group dies? I have never used them because I'm afraid of having them die.

their gone forever. but theres enough survivors in the game. its pretty fun having a companion helping you out and giving them weapons and food when their low on health etc..

Just beat it. Here are some of my impressions (Haven't played DR 1 or 2)

I thought that the story was pretty solid. When I saw that Nick and Diego had the numbers on their neck, I figured that they were an experiment or something. I thought the reveal where Gary is Rhonda's ex was pretty cool. It was also cool to see Chuck was Gary's boss.

It was a ton of fun to pick up a bunch of different weapons and see if I could combine them into something more powerful. Some of the weapons you get from the psychos are absolutely hilarious. The psycho battles themselves were a lot of fun as well.

I only noticed the frame rate drop when I was in vehicles. The zombies were literally moving at like 1 FPS, it was pretty bad. Also, when you are going very fast in a vehicle, the texture pop in was pretty bad, but I can understand that due to the sheer scale of the number of zombies.

Very fun game!

derFeef

I still think the Ultimate Shout beats them all.

EBE

really want the DLC add ons to release already. the game was way too easy to 100%. all i really need to do is complete a handful of PP trials and i'll have exhausted all of the game's content. have played for about 30+ hours now and i'll definitely continue to goof around in the game some more, but the prospect of new playable characters has me wanting more now.

I'm loving the game, but I feel like I've made a huge mistake playing it on nightmare mode... I can't find the bathrooms to save most of the time. The help app said there would be chemical bathrooms all over the city, but I'm yet to find one.

Sometimes I have to leave my console on, because I wandered for minutes and couldn't find anywhere to save...

On DR1 the save points at least appeared on the map, and you could unlock shortcuts to fast travel to them...

Grisby

I keep having fond memories of this game. I might check out the season pass stuff it ends up being decent.

Just a random thought, one of my favorite cutscenes ended up being a scene with Gary near the beginning, when
you enter the morgue and he's going to mercy kill Nick.

"That was my last bullet."
Just beat it.

Where do I find this "overtime" you guys were speaking of?
If you reach the end with time to spare you can enter it.
Don't kill Gary. Bring Rhonda to him and you enter a chapter 7 (8?) after the end boss.

I keep having fond memories of this game. I might check out the season pass stuff it ends up being decent.

Just a random thought, one of my favorite cutscenes ended up being a scene with Gary near the beginning, when
you enter the morgue and he's going to mercy kill Nick.

"That was my last bullet."

If you reach the end with time to spare you can enter it.
Don't kill Gary. Bring Rhonda to him and you enter a chapter 7 (8?) after the end boss.

I reached the end with 2 days to spare!

I brought ronda to gary…. then fought the black guy… then met white girls dad…. then had to kill drones and then kill military guy

Was there somewhere in there that was considered "overtime"?

Now how do I go back and get the blueprints I missed? Can I do that with chapter select?

Grisby

I reached the end with 2 days to spare!

I brought ronda to gary…. then fought the black guy… then met white girls dad…. then had to kill drones and then kill military guy

Was there somewhere in there that was considered "overtime"?

Now how do I go back and get the blueprints I missed? Can I do that with chapter select?
Yeah, that was the true ending and overtime.

To get the rest of the blueprints start a new game on normal or nightmare mode. You can pick them up in a co-op game as well. All of the collectible are tied to your character.

You could even just do a level from chapter select if you wanted and dick around.

sangreal

The problem with using chapter select is you don't have any of the keys you got during the story, so you can't reach all the blueprints

sangreal

Then can't you just keep keep playing the last chapter?

No that's what I mean. If you start in say chapter 6 all the doors that could've been unlocked in 1-5 are locked and you can't do the missions to unlock them

Might only apply to side missions/psychos that unlock doors

pa22word

You know, it's kinda pathetic nightmare mode is such an afterthought they don't even show you how or where to save properly T_T

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You know, it's kinda pathetic nightmare mode is such an afterthought they don't even show you how or where to save properly T_T

The map in general is devoid of a lot of stuff it shouldn't be. One of my bigger gripes, though I still like the game a lot.

pa22word

Deeeerrrrp nvm should have checked the map first >.>

To be fair though, the sidequests still feel very arbitrary compared to the first two games where the fetch quests were designed in a way that naturally fit the environment. Instead of "go find these 5 things marked on your map" it was "go find X" but X had a natural place in the world that you could locate it intuitively without the game having to tell you exactly where it was with a map blip, thus it still felt rewarding when you located X rather than feeling like you're a hamster running on a wheel chasing a carrot. Just feels like they took the lazy Bethesda "everyone's a winner!" approach with the sidequests here. Hell even the survivors just run off when you "save" them. Nothing seems very rewarding in this game anymore other than the combat and the bosses, which to be fair, are probably the best they've ever been, but everything else being like it is I can't help but say I'm very disappointed in this game thus far.

I hope it gets better.

Papercuts

Deeeerrrrp nvm should have checked the map first >.>

To be fair though, the sidequests still feel very arbitrary compared to the first two games where the fetch quests were designed in a way that naturally fit the environment. Instead of "go find these 5 things marked on your map" it was "go find X" but X had a natural place in the world that you could locate it intuitively without the game having to tell you exactly where it was with a map blip, thus it still felt rewarding when you located X rather than feeling like you're a hamster running on a wheel chasing a carrot. Just feels like they took the lazy Bethesda "everyone's a winner!" approach with the sidequests here. Hell even the survivors just run off when you "save" them. Nothing seems very rewarding in this game anymore other than the combat and the bosses, which to be fair, are probably the best they've ever been, but everything else being like it is I can't help but say I'm very disappointed in this game thus far.

I hope it gets better.

Wait, does the map show saves somewhere? I know most safehouses contain them but they have random portapotties around that didn't seem labeled at all, which turned me off on nightmare at the start.

They definitely changed a lot. There are some sidequests that ask for specific things like meat, chainsaws, blah blah but even then you can't outright see on the map what each building is. I know the map very well now and could do it, but it took awhile to figure out. Same with the survivors, the ones you just save and run off are just generated to get PP it seems. When you finish sidequests, those characters will actually follow you around and be choosable from the board.

pa22word

Wait, does the map show saves somewhere? .

Na, my original post was a three paragraph rant slamming the sidequest design because I thought you had to comb the environment to find the fetch quest stuffs when they actually show up on the map :p

Also another thing that chaps my ass about nightmare mode is that there's no failstate for failing to do a story missions after a certain time. This is exceptionally shitty design because it completely fucks the entire point of the clock by forcing you to guess when you should stop doing sidequests/faffing about and start the story mission rather than like in DR1/2 where you could keep a close eye on everything and make a conscious choice that "ehhhh I need to start that story mission soon or I'm boned >.>". Add this on top to the fact that they reverted the save system back to DR1's version of it and you can start to see just exactly how fucked the clock is now because it's /very/ easy to lock yourself in a position where you simply can not complete the game because you moved on to story missions too late a few times and now have insufficient time to complete the game, because unlike in DR1, there's not a fucking timer for story missions anymore.

Ugh just everything about this mode screams that they threw this shit together in a few months after the E3 fan outcry, and I'm kinda pissed I decided to waste my time with this mode rather than play normal now, and this is coming from one of the DR Clock's biggest supporters.

Papercuts

Na, my original post was a three paragraph rant slamming the sidequest design because I thought you had to comb the environment to find the fetch quest stuffs when they actually show up on the map :p

Also another thing that chaps my ass about nightmare mode is that there's no failstate for failing to do a story missions after a certain time. This is exceptionally shitty design because it completely fucks the entire point of the clock by forcing you to guess when you should stop doing sidequests/faffing about and start the story mission rather than like in DR1/2 where you could keep a close eye on everything and make a conscious choice that "ehhhh I need to start that story mission soon or I'm boned >.>". Add this on top to the fact that they reverted the save system back to DR1's version of it and you can start to see just exactly how fucked the clock is now because it's /very/ easy to lock yourself in a position where you simply can not complete the game because you moved on to story missions too late a few times and now have insufficient time to complete the game, because unlike in DR1, there's not a fucking timer for story missions anymore.

Ugh just everything about this mode screams that they threw this shit together in a few months after the E3 fan outcry, and I'm kinda pissed I decided to waste my time with this mode rather than play normal now, and this is coming from one of the DR Clock's biggest supporters.

They actually were super misleading about the game works, heh. Nightmare mode does nothing but make the timer tick faster(and maybe make zombies a little tougher, couldn't tell), in the standard game it's the same-there's an overall countdown, each side mission has a timer, which means the overall countdown is never gone.

But yeah. As a huge DR fan I just did standard after messing with nightmare a bit, the timer ticked too quickly to get stuff done and I wanted to explore more. You have to beeline a lot initially starting from there.

pa22word

They actually were super misleading about the game works, heh. Nightmare mode does nothing but make the timer tick faster(and maybe make zombies a little tougher, couldn't tell), in the standard game it's the same-there's an overall countdown, each side mission has a timer, which means the overall countdown is never gone.

But yeah. As a huge DR fan I just did standard after messing with nightmare a bit, the timer ticked too quickly to get stuff done and I wanted to explore more. You have to beeline a lot initially starting from there.

Hmm, I may just restart then on normal. Do I keep my progress when I restart? Because earlier when I died and hadn't found a save spot yet because of how wondrously designed nightmare mode is I ended up losing 3.5 hours of playtime and was booted back to the opening of the game @ lvl 1. In DR1/2 I know you could either reboot a save or save your character progress and start a new game, so I'm curious if they didn't cut that aspect of this game too.

Papercuts

Hmm, I may just restart then on normal. Do I keep my progress when I restart? Because earlier when I died and hadn't found a save spot yet because of how wondrously designed nightmare mode is I ended up losing 3.5 hours of playtime and was booted back to the opening of the game @ lvl 1. In DR1/2 I know you could either reboot a save or save your character progress and start a new game, so I'm curious if they didn't cut that aspect of this game too.

You keep your level but not progress.

pa22word

You keep your level but not progress.

So you start the game with all your upgrade points free to respec? That's...kind of interesting, I guess. Kind of a smart way to deal with respecing without breaking long term character building.

Also does that mean you lose the collectables and blueprints too? That'd pretty much suck ass >.>

Papercuts

So you start the game with all your upgrade points free to respec? That's...kind of interesting, I guess. Kind of a smart way to deal with respecing without breaking long term character building.

Also does that mean you lose the collectables and blueprints too? That'd pretty much suck ass >.>

Oh, it actually just maintains the same "character". The same points were still set, same with all the blueprints/collectibles.

When I beat the standard game and reloaded to where I was in nightmare mode, I was level 45 or whatever from the end of the game, and still had all the collectibles. I'm not sure it's possible to respec.

Been playing this for the first time in co-op today with a mate of mine and we both seem to have the same issue that the game randomly pauses either to the map screen or to the pause menu,

At first we were both having a problem where we needed to hit the guide button to unpause the game so to speak, but we both changed batteries just in case, and now we both keep getting this annoying random pausing going on. Done a quick search of this thread for pausing or freezing, but nothing came up.

Seems odd we are both being plagued by the same issue though, We never lose voice chat, just the game seems to thnk we have pressed either the start or select buttons (can't remember what the new name for them is) any ideas? Thanks

sangreal

Been playing this for the first time in co-op today with a mate of mine and we both seem to have the same issue that the game randomly pauses either to the map screen or to the pause menu,

At first we were both having a problem where we needed to hit the guide button to unpause the game so to speak, but we both changed batteries just in case, and now we both keep getting this annoying random pausing going on. Done a quick search of this thread for pausing or freezing, but nothing came up.

Seems odd we are both being plagued by the same issue though, We never lose voice chat, just the game seems to thnk we have pressed either the start or select buttons (can't remember what the new name for them is) any ideas? Thanks

I never had that issue but the game does randomly unpause for me which is probably related. Try disabling the voice commands maybe?

pa22word

Hey all, I just purchased one of those combo weapon things on the level up screen which said I could make "any of these ten combo weapons with any blade item". So now I have a blade item but it's not giving me any prompt to make said combo weapons...

Anyone know what's up?

Hey all, I just purchased one of those combo weapon things on the level up screen which said I could make "any of these ten combo weapons with any blade item". So now I have a blade item but it's not giving me any prompt to make said combo weapons...

Anyone know what's up?

You still need to have the blueprint for the item. Basically those abilities just let you substitute items of the same type in normal combos (not super combos). So if a combo is, say, a bowie knife and a shotgun, you can now make the combo with a shotgun and any blade, as long as you have gotten the blueprint for that combo. I suck at explaining this. :)

pa22word

Yeah I figured it out lol.

Btw does anyone have a link to the track where Nick makes the combo weapons? That shit is seriously awesome, and I need it in my veins.

Heysoos

Just finished my first playthrough. Pretty enjoyable, still had like 2 days left over too, but I kinda just wanted to truck through it. If I start over, what exactly do I keep and what do I lose? Do I have to beat all the Psycho bosses again? I think I just needed one more(at least going by the achievements), I probably should have done that before finishing the game.

I only have one more statue to get and I know where it is so I'll do that tonight.

I'm missing 6 or 7 blueprints and 1 vehicle blueprint. I've driven through the entire map and didn't see them pop up once. Are there hidden or app-exclusive blueprints anywhere? How else can I find where the last blueprints are?

fake edit* I guess I could just compare my blueprints to a list of all the blue prints and see whats missing. But some of them are different based on what order you get them in.

sangreal

Just finished my first playthrough. Pretty enjoyable, still had like 2 days left over too, but I kinda just wanted to truck through it. If I start over, what exactly do I keep and what do I lose? Do I have to beat all the Psycho bosses again? I think I just needed one more(at least going by the achievements), I probably should have done that before finishing the game.

You keep your character -- levels, blueprints, collectibles etc. Story is reset and you lose access to any unlocked areas like safe houses

Psychos will be reset but I'm not sure what you mean by "do I have to beat all the psychos again". You never have to beat them. You should be able to get the one you missed without doing the others if you want

Top Bottom