• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 |OT| Welcome to the After Party

Mayyhem

So is it normal for me to lose all my weapons every time we start co op and I join my friends game? Cause we play for a while, I get a bunch of sick weapons. Then when we finish and go off, I come back on the next day, join, all my weapons are gone I'm empty handed and he still has all his.

Unbelievably fucking stupid if its intentional and I'm not doing something wrong

sangreal

So is it normal for me to lose all my weapons every time we start co op and I join my friends game? Cause we play for a while, I get a bunch of sick weapons. Then when we finish and go off, I come back on the next day, join, all my weapons are gone I'm empty handed and he still has all his.

Unbelievably fucking stupid if its intentional and I'm not doing something wrong

I've never played co-op, but I always lose my weapons when I start a new story or chapter jump so it sounds about right. With the weapons locker, it doesn't strike me as a big deal. Just spawn new ones

I kind of wish I had played nightmare first; I flew through it on my second play-through.

Awesome game and pretty easily the best of the next gen titles so far. Need to take a break from it and focus on something else for a while but definitely want to try a co-op run at some point.

Satchel

Banned
So I only have the PP trials achievements left.

I have them all except join the big leagues and what ever comes after that. I'm at 122K zombies killed thus far, so I guess I have some serious circle work around Ingleton in the hog ahead of me.

Loved this game so much. According to smartglass, I've logged 43 hours.

bidguy

Banned
so i just realised there is a timer in normal mode... i thought there is no stupid time limit in normal mode ? i took my sweet time and only have a day left for 3 chapters but i also wanted to get every collectible

tldr : what happens after the timer runs out ?

EBE

so i just realised there is a timer in normal mode... i thought there is no stupid time limit in normal mode ? i took my sweet time and only have a day left for 3 chapters but i also wanted to get every collectible

tldr : what happens after the timer runs out ?

Im pretty sure a giant announcement telling you how many days until the bombs drop pops up at the start of each day. Don't know how you could have it missed it.

bidguy

Banned
Im pretty sure a giant announcement telling you how many days until the bombs drop pops up at the start of each day. Don't know how you could have it missed it.

dont know what to tell you man i just missed it

im 100% sure the devs said theres no limit in normal mode.

EBE

Yeah. Weren't entirely honest, I guess. At least its simple enough to just start all over again, keeping your stats and blueprints and stuff.

You could plow through most story related missions/chapters in two in-game days, though. Plenty of time to mess around looking for collectibles.

sangreal

on story mode 1 day is probably enough to finish the story. if not, you can just use chapter select to start from where you left off with more time on the clock. running out of time on story mode doesn't have any impact other than letting you see the out-of-time ending

You guys reckon this will be successful enough for a Dead Rising 4? I have the game but it's a Xmas gift, I watched a couple of walkthrough chapters and thought it looked awesome, some of those bosses are funny as fuck

Yeah I thought I heard this too prior to the game's release, but it turns out the timer is just relaxed considerably. I had no problem doing all the side missions including the smart glass stuff on my first try. Only once did I fall behind the schedule they show between chapters, but then I easily made it up afterwards.

The most time consuming thing is trying to get all the blueprints, tragic endings, and Frank statues. If you don't care about getting all of those in the first run then there is plenty of time to do everything else on normal.

Just unlocked my last achievement! That last PP trial was an absolute bitch. Still love the game though.

Going to get properly stuck into Ryse now.

Started new play through. Someone from Jersey joined my game and we went hunting in first city. I leveled up 6 times, beat some trials, got a 900 kill streak and had an absolute blast. One of the best games this year

Another question: at this point, can I start new game and start with what I have in just the two hrs I got with this current new game?

Yep, one of my favourite games this year.

You can start a new game at any time. You'll have all your outfits and weapons in the lockers, but you'll have to unlock all the safe houses again.

edit: You'll also keep your Lvl and kills.

xkramz

Started new play through. Someone from Jersey joined my game and we went hunting in first city. I leveled up 6 times, beat some trials, got a 900 kill streak and had an absolute blast. One of the best games this year

Another question: at this point, can I start new game and start with what I have in just the two hrs I got with this current new game?
I suggest you do nightmare mode and focus on main story missions and beat it.. and once you beat it. You do regular mode for aide missions and collectibles. The reward afrwrr nightmare mode would make your regular play through more fun.

pa22word

You guys reckon this will be successful enough for a Dead Rising 4? I have the game but it's a Xmas gift, I watched a couple of walkthrough chapters and thought it looked awesome, some of those bosses are funny as fuck

Doubtful unless it has some serious legs. Pretty sure DR3 had the worst first month sales of all the mainline Dead Rising games, which considering all the FUD they spread about appealing to the Call of Duty fans with this game by neutering what makes it Dead Rising in the first place...the Dead Rising fan in me can't help but be a little happy at that.

For clarity's sake: Capcom announced they expected DR3 to ship 2 million this fiscal year, and it did 200k on the November NPD >.>

sangreal

So, in the Giant Bomb Quick Look, it looks like there's still a timer counting down the days til the bombing, even on normal mode. What the heck happens when that timer expires? Game Over?

And the dude on the radio that gives you side missions, are those random, or are they based on the timer like in the old Dead Rising games? So many questions...

The game ends but you can reload from the start of the chapter and they give you more time

The side missions are based on the chapter you're in not the timer

sangreal

Doubtful unless it has some serious legs. Pretty sure DR3 had the worst first month sales of all the mainline Dead Rising games, which considering all the FUD they spread about appealing to the Call of Duty fans with this game by neutering what makes it Dead Rising in the first place...the Dead Rising fan in me can't help but be a little happy at that.

For clarity's sake: Capcom announced they expected DR3 to ship 2 million this fiscal year, and it did 200k on the November NPD >.>

According to the xbl store it is the #5 most popular game behind cod, bf4, FIFA and forza (in that order)

It had the highest sales at retail of any XB1 game, and you're doubtful it had the legs? Come on now.

pa22word

It had the highest sales at retail of any XB1 game, and you're doubtful it had the legs? Come on now.

Maybe you should read my post again, and I'd like to see the receipts on that because I really doubt it outsold both Call of Duty and Battlefield, or maybe even Forza for that matter.

According to the xbl store it is the #5 most popular game behind cod, bf4, FIFA and forza (in that order)

Okay? 200k still isn't a good number for a 3rd game in a series which has averaged 2.5+ million per release.

Okay? 200k still isn't a good number for a 3rd game in a series which has averaged 2.5+ million per release.

The 200k figure as you said is NPDs, which only cover America and not the other 11* countries the game released in and also doesn't include digital sales. A lot of consoles will be sold between now and March. Also they they expect 1.2m between now and end of March. I think its doable, Microsoft have released some great games at the launch of the console, I think having Titanfall in March will help boost sales and hopefully help games like DR3 sell a bit more too.

*game not released in Germany I think?

Any tips for the rest of us that have to get that chievo?

Stolen from Xbox360achievements.com

For the 50,000/70,000/200,000 kills PP trial, just make a roller hog in the northwest quadrant of the city and drive around doing laps on the upper half of the quadrant (you'll be making a rectangle pattern more or less). There are youtube videos demonstrating this, but it's pretty obvious once you get up there. For optimum results, do this on Chapter 8 because the zombie count is higher, and take the time to push all the movable cars in the roads out of your way so your laps don't get messed up. Don't worry the cars don't respawn, only the zombies. You can do it on other chapters, as the kills per hour is only slightly less, but over the long run Ch 8 will save you 30 minutes or so of grinding.

Dead Rising 1 lifetime totals were 1.8m. Dead Rising 2 lifetime totals were 2.7m but don't forget it was released across 3 platforms. Not sure where you got the idea it's a series which averages 2.5m+ sales per release.

200k is a great start...

pa22word

The 200k figure as you said is NPDs, which only cover America and not the other 11* countries the game released in and also doesn't include digital sales. A lot of consoles will be sold between now and March. Also they they expect 1.2m between now and end of March. I think its doable, Microsoft have released some great games at the launch of the console, I think having Titanfall in March will help boost sales and hopefully help games like DR3 sell a bit more too.

*game not released in Germany I think?

Hm, they must have revised their numbers. Which is pretty typical of Capcom, lol.

And going by past precedent of the other dead rising games it probably did around 150k outside of the US.

sangreal

200k in NPD for a launch title after 9 is actually pretty good. What are you comparing it to? The biggest launch exclusive this year was KZ at like 270k. COD2 was the biggest launch title for 360 with a similar amount. And why are you conflating US-retail NPD numbers with WW shipments?

Anyways my point was that retail sales don't tell the whole story anymore. Is it selling better than COD,etc? No, but it is within the range of other exclusives

Ugh, the game seems buggy. I'm only a hour in, I just go to the sewers, something in the sewers blew up and I flew through the bottom of the road and came back up on the other side of the world map -_-

pa22word

Not sure where you got the idea it's a series which averages 2.5m+ sales per release.
Capcom. They put out their revised list of million sellers and listed Dead Rising at 5.4 million iirc.

And why are you conflating US-retail NPD numbers with WW shipments?

Because Dead Rising has always sold its lion share in the US by a pretty wide margin (DR1 did 60% of its sales in the US). If it's not doing well in the US it's probably not doing well anywhere else either.

Going by DR1s split
, if DR3 did 200k in the US we can expect ~66k out of Europe for the title and ~14k out of japan (which I don't even think it launched in..?). So yeah, not really expecting those WW numbers to swoop in and save the day here at all.

200k in NPD for a launch title after 9 is actually pretty good. What are you comparing it to?

What Capcom actually expects it to sell by march. Game sales are always frontloaded, and thus doing 10-15% of expectations in the first month is kinda bad. I mean do you really expect it to move another roughly a million units (give or take a couple hundred thousand for the other countries, even though I highly doubt it did any better there) in between now and march?

pa22word

Okay, now it makes a lot more sense. They are counting 5 different releases, so it's really averaging 1m per release...

DR3 is currently 200k...seems on course to hit the series average figures.

1m per release isn't really telling the entire story when the average is potentially bogged down by 2 expansions, a paid demo, a Wii demake, and 2 iOS games, lol.

To clarify, it doing 1 million would put it at around 54% of Dead Rising 1's total sales and around 37% of DR2 sales.

1m per release isn't really telling the entire story when the average is potentially bogged down by 2 expansions, a paid demo, a Wii demake, and 2 iOS games, lol.

To clarify, it doing 1 million would put it at around 54% of Dead Rising 1's total sales and around 37% of DR2 sales.

There were iOS games?

There's DR1, DR2, OTR, Case Zero and Case West. Let's ignore the abomination that was Chop til you Drop...2 main releases, 2 digital titles and one spin off...

It'd be disappointing if it only did 1m, but I think it'll do more. It might end up being shy of the 1.8m sales recorded by DR1, but I think it'll sell enough to see MS/Capcom continue with the series...

sangreal

Because Dead Rising has always sold its lion share in the US by a pretty wide margin (DR1 did 60% of its sales in the US). If it's not doing well in the US it's probably not doing well anywhere else either.

Going by DR1s split, if DR3 did 200k in the US we can expect ~66k out of Europe for the title and ~14k out of japan (which I don't even think it launched in..?). So yeah, not really expecting those WW numbers to swoop in and save the day here at all.

What Capcom actually expects it to sell by march. Game sales are always frontloaded, and thus doing 10-15% of expectations in the first month is kinda bad. I mean do you really expect it to move another roughly a million units (give or take a couple hundred thousand for the other countries, even though I highly doubt it did any better there) in between now and march?

My point is you're comparing WW shipment targets which are sell-in + DD to US sell-through retail numbers. 1 million shipped WW is pretty pedestrian. Lost Planet 3 for example managed to ship 300k with an opening NPD of 10k. So yeah, I don't think opening at 200k in NPD precludes dead rising from hitting 1.2 million shipped by March

1.2 million sold through in the US would be shocking. There will only be what, 4 million XB1s tops sold WW through March?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It seems to be a solid opening either way. Using ~210K out of 909K systems it's around 24% which is near a 1 in 4 pickup rate.

Regardless of how much previous titles sell, there is always a much lower base to be selling at when you're pitched exclusively on a single platform from the start compared to DR1 waiting roughly a year and 2 being on multiple platforms that both had waaaaay larger bases even compared to 1.

sangreal

so there is a challenge to spill 10k gallons of zombie blood in the next 7 days for a reindeer mask. Anyone know how many zombies you actually have to kill?

Satchel

Banned
Any tips for the rest of us that have to get that chievo?

Roller hawg around Ingleton. Maybe have some jazz hands on you in case you're forced off.

I'm up to 160K at the moment. Got around 30k in just a touch over half an hour.

so there is a challenge to spill 10k gallons of zombie blood in the next 7 days for a reindeer mask. Anyone know how many zombies you actually have to kill?

I assume a lot. I got it last night. But hi ad been grinding kills a fair bit. I reckon you'd need to. Kill at LEAST 20K of zombies. If not more. But then min to sure how many gallons per zombie. Maybe it's only 10K?

ev0

Hey guys, I was in the middle of a mission and got the "the truth has vanished into darkness" message. The game wasn't as clear as to what happened here as the previous ones. Does this mean I missed out on overtime? It let me load last checkpoint and proceed as if nothing happened.

If I recall DR1 amd DR2 had the menu option state you can just keep playing if you want and it occurred when you let a main mission expire.

This happened near the end of chapter 4, with 2 days 16hrs left.

thanks!

Hey guys, I was in the middle of a mission and got the "the truth has vanished into darkness" message. The game wasn't as clear as to what happened here as the previous ones. Does this mean I missed out on overtime? It let me load last checkpoint and proceed as if nothing happened.

If I recall DR1 amd DR2 had the menu option state you can just keep playing if you want and it occurred when you let a main mission expire.

This happened near the end of chapter 4, with 2 days 16hrs left.

thanks!

Diego (I think thats his name, your friend with the number on his neck ) died.

When the mission starts, give him tons of food to bring his health to full. You can still play if he dies, but the truth is lost when he dies.

Krilekk

Banned
Damn this game is good. I bought it at launch but only jumped in now due to timed challenges and I am having a blast. IMO it is so much better than DR 1 and 2, at first I was kinda overwhelmed by the open world but then it clicks and is just tons of fun. Building a combo weapon, slashing through hordes of zombies and seeing the PP come in in no time is incredible. As is the amount of detail and the drawing distance. Haven't had any framerate or texture problems so far, just incredible amounts of fun. Another nice surprise after Ryse.

Jinaar

On my first play thru, Chapter 5 and I during a primary mission I got a call on my phone and I couldn't listen to it and now it is stuck on my screen and I cannot answer it. I have tried to shut down Smartglass and the game and do some other tricks but it still remains. Googling it brings up nadda.

I hope not to miss any submissions but I think that is too late already. Anyone have this and fix it?

If it is unfixable will have to do another play thru.

Top Bottom