• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

seady said:
No unboxing picture of the Collector's Edition yet?

Edit: I found some youtube videos of unboxing of the CE. The Plasma Cutter is kinda disappointing.

Did you expect any differently? All that CE garbage is made for less than a dollar somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

Minamu

NotTheGuyYouKill said:

I feel so awful for you. Why February 15?
They have crazy delivery times. UK to Sweden takes longer than Canada to Sweden. I expect at least two weeks for delivery.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I'll use it as a cool little mining tool.
Fixed.

Minamu said:
They have crazy delivery times. UK to Sweden takes longer than Canada to Sweden. I expect at least two weeks for delivery.

Fixed.

Order from Amazon.ca and have them ship it to Sweden. It's not like you guys are tucked away in a little out of the way corner.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I'm not too disappointed about the Plasma Cutter, to be honest. I've been aware of its size for a few months now since Visceral revealed it on their Facebook page. I'll use it as a cool little flashlight.

They probably could've made it an exact replica of the one in game in terms of size, but then would would be complaining about the CE being too expensive.

Minamu

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Order from Amazon.ca and have them ship it to Sweden. It's not like you guys are tucked away in a little out of the way corner.
Might be a good idea man. Will look into that :D The price is basically the same it seems.

scitek

I traded in some games and pre-ordered the PC version at Gamestop today. Weird having a boxed copy of a PC game pre-ordered nowadays. I didn't know the CE came with that plasma cutter. You don't suppose we'll see those things for sale on eBay in a few weeks?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I'm really tempted to get this on Steam and play through the first. I played through about half of it a long time ago, but gave up. Wasn't a big fan of the pacing, but from what I've seen of DS2, I'm really impressed. I'm not sure what to do! Trying to demo out soon.

Note: Had the first on the 360. I've got a shot ear(Strep throat left me partially deaf in an ear) so playing things on my TV isn't that fun. How long is the first game?

KaYotiX

Banned
EvaPlusMinus said:
I'm really tempted to get this on Steam and play through the first. I played through about half of it a long time ago, but gave up. Wasn't a big fan of the pacing, but from what I've seen of DS2, I'm really impressed. I'm not sure what to do! Trying to demo out soon.

Note: Had the first on the 360. I've got a shot ear(Strep throat left me partially deaf in an ear) so playing things on my TV isn't that fun. How long is the first game?

First game took me i think 12-15 hrs. It was longer than i expected but i loved the entire thing.

newsguy

Yeah, this game is the shit. I want to remind people that playing this game in surround is THE ONLY WAY. The original Condemned is the only game that touches the surround in this game. You want atmosphere? It's hard to tell if there's a monster behind me or if someone broke into my house. At one point I literally turned to my back left. I was about to say "FOR THE BLOOD OF JESUS SOMEBODY GON' DIE HERE TODAY!!!"

EvaPlusMinus said:

I just beat it 5 minutes ago on Hard starting from scratch; took me 6 hours 30 minutes.

newsguy said:
Yeah, this game is the shit. I want to remind people that playing this game in surround is THE ONLY WAY. The original Condemned is the only game that touches the surround in this game. You want atmosphere? It's hard to tell if there's a monster behind me or if someone broke into my house. At one point I literally turned to my back left. I was about to say "FOR THE BLOOD OF JESUS SOMEBODY GON' DIE HERE TODAY!!!"
Some of the voices and screams are fucking terrifying

very minor spoilers on a certain enemy from DS1
cant remember their name but the guys that carry around that big yellow ball that explodes - anyways, they make crazy scary noises in DS2

newsguy said:

After just watching that news story, the end of your post got me, didn't expect it.

Looks (sounds?) like I need to hook my surround sound system back up before Tuesday.

newsguy

brandonh83 said:
After just watching that news story, the end of your post got me, didn't expect it.

Looks (sounds?) like I need to hook my surround sound system back up before Tuesday.

It will be so worth it. You can tell the depth of the audio was made specifically for a home theater setup. Phenomenal.

hermit7

I cancelled my preorder of the CE, and made one of the regular edition instead. To me it is not worthwhile to have more goofy plastic that I will enjoy for 5 minutes and then forget about.

Looking forward to Wednesday when I'll be able to pop it in and enjoy it the entire day.

Replicant

I like that plasma cutter replica. I didn't think it'd be anything bigger than your arm size. Still,

:( @ everyone's already getting one so early. I can't believe I had to order all the way from the US just to get one because the European PS3 one doesn't come with plasma cutter thing. FFS, EA! Thankfully currency exchange is good that the price ended up $4 cheaper even after shipping. The downside is that I probably won't be able to play until 28th of this month or later depending on the shipping speed.

stupei

I saw it asked earlier in the thread but didn't see if anyone answered or not, so: has anyone actually read Dead Space: Martyr? How is it? The concept seems interesting enough, but video game books don't really have a great track record. The comics for Dead Space thus far have been mostly excellent, though.

stupei said:
I saw it asked earlier in the thread but didn't see if anyone answered or not, so: has anyone actually read Dead Space: Martyr? How is it? The concept seems interesting enough, but video game books don't really have a great track record. The comics for Dead Space thus far have been mostly excellent, though.

I've read it. It's a really good book. It nicely sets out all the stuff that happened 200 years earlier that leads to the creation of Unitology and the first sort of appearance of the Black Marker and the Necromorphs (or proto-Necromorphs, if you will). It's actually written quite well, and the protagonist is interesting (the lead is Michael Altman, and you see things unfold from his perspective). If you're interested in the back story, then it's a must-read. Most video game books might not be great, but Martyr is really good. It could very easily have sucked, but whoever they got to write it (apparently he also wrote the Halo novels) is a very good author.

I wish they would just do steelbook versions of games for a "CE" and call it quits. I might pay $10 extra for a steelbook and some cool DLC inside, but I really hate the $20 to $30 extra trend that they're going for these days.

brandonh83 said:
Totally used that $20 Amazon gift card I got for $10 toward this, $39 grand total with release date delivery. Pshaww

I did the same, but also used the $20 credit from Mass Effect 2 and drove it down to $19 with release day delivery.

Grisby

stupei said:

For a video game novel the book is pretty decent. The whole unitology thing is explained here and it doesn't portray the origin of the religion, or Micheal Altman, in a way I expected it to. Good read.

On that note I picked up the new comic that just came out a bit ago (I think?), Salvage. Haven't started reading it yet but the art is pretty damn good. Makes Ignition's art seem, well, pretty bad.

Grisby said:
For a video game novel the book is pretty decent. The whole unitology thing is explained here and it doesn't portray the origin of the religion, or Micheal Altman, in a way I expected it to. Good read.

On that note I picked up the new comic that just came out a bit ago (I think?), Salvage. Haven't started reading it yet but the art is pretty damn good. Makes Ignition's art seem, well, pretty bad.

The problem with Ignition's art (at least to me) is that it simply lacks style. Both Ben Templesmith's art and Christopher Shy's work is oozing with unique style, but Ignition doesn't really have any style. It's sorta technically competent, but the artist's should have gone crazy and been more creative.

Despera

Banned
Getting the game later today.

Huge fan of the first one, and I'm sure this won't disappoint. Almost got a Move to play Extraction. Good thing it has DS3 support.

Gonna play it with headphones, after midnight...

brandonh83 said:
I didn't play Extraction on Wii; will the navigation controller be needed for it? I can't find one anywhere.

You can use the DS3 instead of a Nav controller if you wish. So you use half of the DS3 in conjunction with the Move. Though I've never used the Move myself, so I don't know how it works.

Grisby

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
The problem with Ignition's art (at least to me) is that it simply lacks style. Both Ben Templesmith's art and Christopher Shy's work is oozing with unique style, but Ignition doesn't really have any style. It's sorta technically competent, but the artist's should have gone crazy and been more creative.

You hit it man, and I actually had fun with Ignition. Just the art lacked personality and style, like you said.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
You can use the DS3 instead of a Nav controller if you wish. So you use half of the DS3 in conjunction with the Move. Though I've never used the Move myself, so I don't know how it works.

I can live with that I suppose. It's not the most ideal setup, but it works. I tried it with that shitty Modern Combat game demo and it was okay barring the horrible Move accuracy in that title.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Just saw a horrible trailer featuring "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" as the music. What?

Anyway, mine's on order. Should have within a week or two - must be patient...

Teknoman

NotTheGuyYouKill said:

Probably answered earlier, but if you play Extraction with just a DS3, would it just play the same way...say House of the Dead 2 would play with a controller (moving the crosshair with the left stick and shooting with X or whatever)?

Gattsu25

Banned
momolicious said:
How is the ps3 version going to play? I hate low framerate for ps3 ports. And why is it two discs?
If it's anything like the first, the PS3 version will be pretty fucking good.

momolicious said:
How is the ps3 version going to play? I hate low framerate for ps3 ports. And why is it two discs?

Visceral is top of the line when it comes to PS3 versions of their games, so you don't have anything to worry about.

Top Bottom