• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just heard what Hardcore difficulty is. Sounds horrible. I will never do it.

Difficulty Description, not story spoilers at all:
Even more powerful enemies and less items than on Zealot, no checkpoints, have to start from the last save, can only save 3 times the whole game.

K' Dash

Nemesis556 said:
Is it different, or just a skin?

I don't know if the upgrades are the same, I changed it as soon as I found it at the first store, it feels the same so I woult think it's just a skin.

RoboPlato said:

Even more powerful enemies and less items than on Zealot, no checkpoints, have to start from the last save, can only save 3 times the whole game.

No thanks, survivalists runs forever for me, but it wouldn't be so bad if they let you start a new game + on that dificulty.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
brandonh83 said:
Is there a trophy for the hardcore difficulty? If so, fuck you Visceral!
I just risked spoilers to look it up. The good news, I avoided spoilers. The bad news, yes there is a Hardcore trophy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
CozMick said:
There is nothing worse than a game with multiple discs.

*EpicFacepalm"ForWhenASimpleFaceplamIsn'tEnough".jpg*

Some of us aren't lazy. And honestly, blame DVD being used for a another generation for multi-discs being used. You better be getting used for it for 360 versions as this generation gets longer and longer. Eventually developers are going to stop compressing shit and make two-three discs for games.

brandonh83 said:
Is there a trophy for the hardcore difficulty? If so, fuck you Visceral!

There is. But the cheats from DS1 worked with the E3/Demo demo, so you can probably use them in DS2. The question is if using them disables achievements.

Guess I'll just have to see if it's something I could do. If it's too crazy I'll just forget about it and my trophy percentage will stay at 91% or something like it is for me on the first game.

TheSeks

Hardcore's only fault is the proposed
3 save limit
. Otherwise it sounds like Biohazard of old (1-3) with no checkpoints. I just hope there is enough ammo and health so you "know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away" so to speak in the game.

Doing speedruns on it would be nice. Give me the old Biohazard 1-3 feel.

RoboPlato said:

What the fuck!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
TheSeks said:
Hardcore's only fault is the proposed
3 save limit
. Otherwise it sounds like Biohazard of old (1-3) with no checkpoints. I just hope there is enough ammo and health so you "know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away" so to speak in the game.

Doing speedruns on it would be nice. Give me the old Biohazard 1-3 feel.
Yeah, that one limiting factor is something that takes it from being something I'd attempt to something I have no desire to try.

RoboPlato said:

That sounds awesome. It would be better if it was just something extra you could do to unlock a special weapon like in the old Resident Evil games.

JRW

supermackem said:
Ps3 demo runs in 1080p too, looks the same as the 360 version to me.

360 version is a little sharper but not a huge difference like some other multiplat games. (bioshock comes to mind). im judging from the demo versions on a kuro plasma.

TheSeks

darkpaladinmfc said:
If there you could save more than three times, then there would basically be checkpoints.

Having 12 instead of 3 wouldn't make that difficulty easier.

It really depends on the balance of ammo/health. But the way it would work in DS1 would be

1: Chapter 1-5
2: Chapter 5-9
3: Chapter 9-12 (IIRC?)

Not bad in terms of saving, but it takes 15-45 mins per chapter at times, depending on how fast/slow you're going and searching for audio logs/health/ammo.

multiple discs for the 360 version is actually great news for a multiplatform game as this means that they didn't restrict the development of the game to the 6.8 (?) GB limit of the 360.
Often enough, the PS3 version has the exact same file size even though they could at least use higher bitrates for videos etc.

EA probably wont say whether Extractions will come out on PSN or if itll appear on the XBLA to help move the PS3 copies

And yeah, while tease these multiple disc games its good for both parties really.

MattyH

i have extraction on wii but it would be awesome to have the ps3 version beacuse i have move i dont wanna double dip with DS 2 though beacuse ive gone for the 360 vers

Just bought it off Steam. I hope I don't hate this game because I can hardly ever play through scary games especially on the PC.

Hmm 12 hrs sounds a little exaggerated then. Not that i care or anything since ill play multiple times through and everyone plays at their own pace. But im at Chapter 11 after 4 hours. Normal is the perfect difficulty first time through, i was worried it be too easy but it isnt. As for weapon economy, its basically like the first game for me. So far ive only been able to afford to hold 4 weapons. Usually burn all my cash on health and ammo. Ability to change difficulty in NG+ is very welcome; upgrading shit takes forever like DS1 which is fine.

tass0

Banned
DS2 is effing terrifying. No BS, right down to the minute you start the game, you'll be shitting your pants.

And the game runs and looks awesome, on 360 at least.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
tass0 said:
DS2 is effing terrifying. No BS, right down to the minute you start the game, you'll be shitting your pants.

Awesome to hear. I was a little worried with some of the comments that they made about making it less tense that it would be less scary than DS1 but everything I've heard has made it sound like all of the changes are for the better.

Irish

DevelopmentArrested said:
I'm at Chapter 11 after 4 hours.

Wow, that sounds insane. How long did it take you to finish the first game?

My first playthrough of that took me 12 hours and 15 minutes. I had heard that this game was actually longer too.

Irish said:
Wow, that sounds insane. How long did it take you to finish the first game?

My first playthrough of that took me 12 hours and 15 minutes. I had heard that this game was actually longer too.
DS1 first time was like 8 for me. I play fast. Also I feel like the timer kind of undercalculates my playtime

Irish

I see. I tended to stop and stare at everything in the first game. I also did a fair bit of unnecessary backtracking when I picked up a schematic for something.

Do the schematics return in this game?

codecow

I am a bit surprised at the multi disk hate. Nobody wants to release on multiple disks, it costs more to manufacture the game. The reason games are on multiple disks is because they don't fit on one.

Despera

Banned
tass0 said:

I concur. Game has me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

I'm playing on survivalist, and I ran out of ammo a few times. When was the last time I ran out of ammo in a horror game? Feels so good.

Despera said:
I concur. Game has me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

I'm playing on survivalist, and I ran out of ammo a few times. When was the last time I ran out of ammo in a horror game? Feels so good.
Seriously. Ive had to get up and walk away a few times to take a breather mainly because i was too scared to see what was in certain rooms/areas

Minamu

Heads up!

179380_487597811658_18523496658_6233516_3327834_n.jpg

Wright Bagwell and codecow have no titles? :S

Or they are Ben Wanat's and Dino Ignacio's alter egos! dun dun dun.

Replicant

RoboPlato said:

I feel sick. Sounds worse than Crushing mode on Uncharted and without the auto-save.

codecow

Minamu said:
Heads up!

Wright Bagwell and codecow have no titles? :S

Or they are Ben Wanat's and Dino Ignacio's alter egos! dun dun dun.

I hope nobody from the MoH combat mission game I did terrible in yesterday asks me, "Who's your daddy?"

Is it actually terrifying or is it surface-level terrifying because of jump scares like the first one? If it's the former, that's great news.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Seriously. Ive had to get up and walk away a few times to take a breather mainly because i was too scared to see what was in certain rooms/areas
Can't wait to play this game
and crap my pants so hard

Minamu

codecow said:
I hope nobody from the MoH combat mission game I did terrible in yesterday asks me, "Who's your daddy?"
I'm not really following :S

Irish said:
Do the schematics return in this game?
Yep there are schematics for weapons and even weapon upgrades (saw something that looked like ammo upgrades today).

Top Bottom