• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

aegies

~Kinggi~ said:
Yeah id like to know this too.

It is. You'll change discs once around chapter 8 in an elevator, if I remember correctly. Small price to pay for audio that isn't awfully compressed and shitty textures (which probably would have been the trade off on 360 otherwise).

aegies said:
It is. You'll change discs once around chapter 8 in an elevator, if I remember correctly. Small price to pay for audio that isn't awfully compressed and shitty textures (which probably would have been the trade off on 360 otherwise).
Chapter 6. Thankfully it didn't freeze this time for me.

Nitpick but so far it feels like there are few audio logs compared to the last game.. a lot of text ones though. Too bad because I'm too fucking scared during this game to stare into the screen and read the logs.

Holy fuck there have been some awesome moments/set-pieces though.

Despera

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
What are the difficulties in the game? I don't want to check an achievement list because of spoilers.
Casual: Enemies are weak. With some effort, you can survive.

Normal: Ammo and health conservation are the keys to survival. A skillful trigger is needed to survive.

Survivalist (the one I chose): For veteran Dead Space players. Ammo and health are less plentiful, and enemies are more deadly.

Zealot: Ammo and health are very scarce and enemies will brutalize you.

Hard Core: Finish the game at any difficulty level to unlock the hard core difficulty setting.

Xater

Despera said:
Casual: Enemies are weak. With some effort, you can survive.

Normal: Ammo and health conservation are the keys to survival. A skillful trigger is needed to survive.

Survivalist (the one I chose): For veteran Dead Space players. Ammo and health are less plentiful, and enemies are more deadly.

Zealot: Ammo and health are very scarce and enemies will brutalize you.

Hard Core: Finish the game at any difficulty level to unlock the hard core difficulty setting.

So how is it going on survivalist? Sounds like the difficulty I should choose.

Ihya

Xater said:

Linked in to this I have to wonder: In the first game the save points came up with a generous frequency. Are the save points as frequent as the first?

Despera

Banned
Xater said:
A charging necromorph killed me with one hit, and I had full health. I also died a few times in the opening segment. Enemies in general can kill you with 2 to 3 hits. The amount of ammo and health packs are enough to get you by.

I think this is the perfect difficulty for anyone wanting some sort of challenge.

Ihya said:
Linked in to this I have to wonder: In the first game the save points came up with a generous frequency. Are the save points as frequent as the first?
They're very frequent (encountered 3 in the first 30 minutes of the game).

Anyways, I've been playing the game for a couple of hours now. And I advise people to play this in the dark, with headphones on if possible. This is one helluva scary and atmospheric game.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hngghh starting to ....get hype!

GAaah the 27th seem soo far away

edit : wha?! nnooooooooooo, current release date 00.01 gmt january 28th.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
momolicious said:
How is the ps3 version going to play? I hate low framerate for ps3 ports. And why is it two discs?
Dead Space 1, Dante's Inferno, and the demo for Dead Space 2 were all 99% identical on the two platforms.

So Amazon lists "Standard" and "Collector's" for PS3. That Standard is really the "Limited" with Extraction right? Stop changing these damn names on us! :D

Maxrunner

darkpaladinmfc said:
Well you'll be able to use a PS3/360 controller on PC, so you can use them if you don't like the KB+M controls.

Yeah but it seems only the ps3 includes extraction am i correct?

photovml.jpg

I'm really turned apart now... which game to start first :\

I will start play tomorrow aka my 25th birthday.... but which one first!!!

feel

2 discs for the 360 version?? I love it. To me there's something really awesome about multiple disc games. *nostalgic about the amazing games from the ps1 era*

Minamu

The trophies for Extraction are out. Just how hard are Expert and Impossible in that game? And are there any cheat codes like in DS1, that might help? :)

CozMick

Banned
Letters said:
2 discs for the 360 version?? I love it. To me there's something really awesome about multiple disc games. *nostalgic about the amazing games from the ps1 era*

You're joking right?

There is nothing worse than a game with multiple discs.

Kinyou

The Praiseworthy said:
I will start play tomorrow aka my 25th birthday.... but which one first!!!
You'll have to admit that this is a bit of a silly question to post in the Dead Space 2 OT ;)

feel

CozMick said:
You're joking right?

There is nothing worse than a game with multiple discs.
.. no?

I don't see the harm in getting up to change a disc after playing an adventure for hours.

But your opinion is very expected in this day and age.

Sanchito

Has anyone tried to play the PS3 version of Extraction yet? I was curious how it played with the DS3. Not sure I want to go out and buy a Move controller for this and Killzone 3. I'll probably get one eventually... just trying to save my monies for all the awesome games coming out in the next month or two.

Nemesis_

Letters said:
.. no?

I don't see the harm in getting up to change a disc after playing an adventure for hours.

But your opinion is very expected in this day and age.

Sometimes I wonder if the people who complain about such things simply didn't grow up with them. It's the same deal with people who cannot stand framerates that aren't 60fps.

I am with you, Letters. =)

Truant

They should have done it so that you can install both disks, and the first disc also acts as a validation for the second one, so you don't have to switch. Should be a bit more seamless.

Nemesis_

Truant said:
They should have done it so that you can install both disks, and the first disc also acts as a validation for the second one, so you don't have to switch. Should be a bit more seamless.

You can't though. Microsoft doesn't allow it. It's the same reason Castlevania was announced to be like that but then wasn't actually like that. U_U

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nemesis556 said:
Sometimes I wonder if the people who complain about such things simply didn't grow up with them. It's the same deal with people who cannot stand framerates that aren't 60fps.
Honestly, I don't know how anyone can stand anything other than 60 fps/no disks. Just because we had to grow up with worse doesn't mean we have to enjoy going back to those days. I fucking hated multi-disk installs back in the day. And there is no way in hell I am playing Dead Space 2 at less than 60 fps. It's the Codecow approved framerate.

sam27368

Banned
Letters said:
The PC version clocks in at around 10gb after I went skulking around the Steam preload files, it would have to be a pretty compressed version of the game to fit on one disc.

Sanchito said:
Has anyone tried to play the PS3 version of Extraction yet? I was curious how it played with the DS3. Not sure I want to go out and buy a Move controller for this and Killzone 3. I'll probably get one eventually... just trying to save my monies for all the awesome games coming out in the next month or two.

If it's any consolation I was playing Extraction on Dolphin in 1080p with the DS3 on my PC, plays absolutely fine. Not as good as it would with a wiimote/PS Move though.

K' Dash

So, is anyone playing with the
refurbished plasma cutter from Dead Space 1
? I just couldn't resist when I saw it, fuck yeah!

Damn, I played DS1 on the 360, but now I really have to change my pre-order. Extraction plus 1 disc just puts it over the edge towards PS3.

Trying to be on media blackout for the game has bit me in the ass.

Edit: God, I love Amazon. Quick cancellation, the $25.00 of game credits I used instantly return to my basket, and just like that, PS3 version release date delivery.

Now to track down DS1 and get a save onto the PS3...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nemesis556 said:

I am with you, Letters. =)
To be fair, console games during the 16-bit era were almost entirely 60 fps.

Also, there are a LOT of 60 fps games on the PS2 as well.

This gen, while not as bad as the 32-bit era, is one of the worst for console framerates.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I've been watching some streams on justin tv. Game has me sold. However, I can't help but feel the game would be improved upon if three changes were implemented;

- Isaac is silent
- Soundtrack is composed of cheesy, but adrenaline pumping and atmospheric synth
- All side characters talking to you via com are replaced by a rogue AI with delusions of grandeur, who tells you what to do and how to fight the necromorphs while simultaneously belittling you

Top Bottom