• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Cheech

Zzoram said:
You're actually thinking about this? $3 to upgrade to the Steam version is a no brainer.

The thing with EA games, though, is there really isn't a super compelling advantage to buying it on Steam. There are no Steam achievements, and honestly adding the retail/"other" DD version of DS2 to your Steam client is basically just as good as buying it directly off Steam.

"Push" upgrades are the only benefit I can see, but Dead Space 2 isn't some huge 60+ hour long RPG that is going to see a flurry of upgrades at launch. Most of us will have finished it long before patch 1.01 hits the hopper.

seady

Dead Space Extraction is a very very good game. Probably the most fun on-rail shooter I ever played. You don't simply shoot, you get a lot of control over your camera. And if you played Dead Space 1, you know each gun has different formation. That mechanic carries over to Extraction, so you don't simply shoot but there are also a lot of strategy involved in how to use your guns.

So if you can get the PS3 version, get it.

codecow

JRW said:
Hmm so its super linear now?

Oh well im sure thats not a big deal.

I kind of like how it is now better. In the first game I needed the R3 locator a lot of times because many areas were similar looking and you weren't led well by the level design.

Playing now I find myself using the locator very sparingly. I am interested in what I will find in the side rooms and there isn't so much confusion in the level layouts so I don't find myself getting disoriented and lost all that often.

ezekial45

Banned
seady said:
Dead Space Extraction is a very very good game. Probably the most fun on-rail shooter I ever played. You don't simply shoot, you get a lot of control over your camera. And if you played Dead Space 1, you know each gun has different formation. That mechanic carries over to Extraction, so you don't simply shoot but there are also a lot of strategy involved in how to use your guns.

So if you can get the PS3 version, get it.

It also had, by far, one of the single best uses of motion control in a game i've played in a long time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
codecow said:
I kind of like how it is now better. In the first game I needed the R3 locator a lot of times because many areas were similar looking and you weren't led well by the level design.

Playing now I find myself using the locator very sparingly. I am interested in what I will find in the side rooms and there isn't so much confusion in the level layouts so I don't find myself getting disoriented and lost all that often.
Just out of curiosity, where in the game will we get to see what you worked on? Are you on the multiplayer side of things?

Anyways, I hope you guys have a sick launch.

Muffdraul

I've always been OK w/ backtracking, especially in survival horror. In RE1, when you eventually have no choice but to leave the mansion and go to new areas, you have this nagging feeling that you haven't explored the whole mansion yet. Then eventually you find a new key elsewhere and return to the mansion and explore the remaining areas... I dunno, that felt good to me. Running back and forth through the "overworld" of Silent Hill never got old to me either. Like someone said, the sense of a persistent world is a good thing.

Stallion Free said:
Just out of curiosity, where in the game will we get to see what you worked on? Are you on the multiplayer side of things?

I was under the impression that codecow did... the coding. :lol I miss the laughing face :(

I think he worked on the controls as well?

sam27368

Banned
Preordered on Steam, can't wait!
Annoyed that I have to wait til the 28th to play just because I live in a different region (UK).

Nizz

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I was under the impression that codecow did... the coding. :lol I miss the laughing face :(

I think he worked on the controls as well?
As tight as the controls were in the first game (consoles, PS3 version here) and especially the demo I played for 2 give him a raise! :)

It's... frustrating. Well, the trace routes are. The other two mini games are alright. I got it for free, so whatever. I should go home and finish it so I can get my Hacker suit.

Muffdraul

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I should go home and finish it so I can get my Hacker suit.

Someone told me recently that according to the XBL description or something, all bonuses are unlocked just for completing the first hack. (I wish I'd known that before I beat it. =P)

Muffdraul said:
Someone told me recently that according to the XBL description or something, all bonuses are unlocked just for completing the first hack. (I wish I'd known that before I beat it. =P)

For real? Is that like 100% confirmed?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
gdt5016 said:
How/what is Dead Space: Ignition?

Just about to start it, got it free for preordering DS2.
It's pretty terrible. Just look up the solutions for the puzzles and ignore the story bits so you can get the Hacker Suit for DS2 as quick as possible then never have to play it again.

gdt

Muffdraul said:

Can someone confirm this?

dankir

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO I can't wait for play through this.

Going to start my hardcore run of DS1 this weekend just to get back in the mood.

codecow said:
I can confirm this. All you need is a save.

That's good to know.

A few new shots courtesy of IGN:

dead-space-2-20110121085817651_640w.jpg

dead-space-2-20110121085814792_640w.jpg

dead-space-2-20110121085820182_640w.jpg

dead-space-2-20110121085823073_640w.jpg

Irish

NemesisPrime said:
I feel that some games should not get sequels (Bioshock for example). Not sure if I want to return to the DS universe for more. It might lessen my memories of the first game, some things are best left dormant. Plenty of other things to play...

Also I am back to ignoring any EA game ;)

Well, Bioshock shouldn't have a had a sequel only because it was a bad game, with a terrible story, bland enemies, and lame protagonists and antagonists. However, Rapture was a fantastic setting that had an amazing amount of atmosphere.

Bioshock 2 had much better gameplay, more enemy variety, and a slightly more interesting story that actually involved the main protagonist. Of course, the atmosphere wasn't as great.

I was surprised when I first popped in the original Dead Space. It reminded of Bioshock quite a bit, but the overall quality seemed much higher. I actually enjoyed the gameplay and the audio, text, and video logs accentuated the story instead of replacing it entirely. I thought the atmosphere did a great job of immersing the player in the world of the game. Now, an overrun spaceship may not have been as cool a setting as a massive underwater city, but I thought it worked well within the universe of the game. I also liked the design of Isaac even though his role as a silent avatar pissed me off. (something they fixed for DS2)

From the outset of the game, you could already tell that there was no way everything about this universe could be told in a single space of 10-12 hours. I think there are a lot of cool places they can take this thing outside of dealing exclusively with necromorphs. I've never really understood how a person's thoughts about one product could be effected by another product, so I don't really see why you wouldn't want to play this after enjoying the original.

codecow said:

I thought you guys did a pretty good job of leading the player along in the first game. I mean, the doors that led to a path that you would not be going through during a particular section were locked. Each door also had a little information panel above it that told you where it would lead, which was useful because you were always alerted to where you would need to go to complete your objective by your team. For example, they would say something like, "We need the Captain's rig. His body is located in the morgue." and you would be able to look at the information panels and they would lead you to the morgue. Side rooms were either locked or said something like "Storage Room"/had a male/female bathroom sign.

Of course, I suppose one would need a pretty good sense of direction in order to know whether or not they've already been through a particular door.

___

Will there be another "One Gun" type of trophy? I went for that in my first playthrough and was quite surprised at how much of a good decision that was. Not only was the plasma cutter a fantastic weapon, but there were so few nodes in the game that to open all of the additional doors and upgrade your rig, plasma cutter, stasis module, and kinesis module in a single playthrough required a fair bit of nodes bought from the store.

That might be hard to do this time around because I love playing through the demo using all of the additional weapons. The javelin gun only requires one shot to save you from the big monster in the little unitology sanctuary.

Max

I am not Max
amrod said:
PC Gamers...

http://www.direct2drive.com/promos/weekly-deal/

Your Products Quantity Price
Dead Space 2 1 $59.95 Remove

You just saved 20% on your survival game. Congrats! - Remove
-$11.99

Promotion code: Apply

Total Cost:
$47.96

brings it inline with UK steam price...
So tempted to cancel gamestop pre-order for this, except then I'd have to spend the whole day downloading it

edit: oh it's pre-loadable :eek:

codecow

Stallion Free said:

I'm a programmer, I worked on a lot of the game.

Grisby

gdt5016 said:
How/what is Dead Space: Ignition?

Just about to start it, got it free for preordering DS2.

Eh, I had a bit of fun. The mini games weren't that bad and really easy after a single playthrough with an upgraded rig. Takes about an hour or two tops.

It's so late now, but I hope there's some BTS or making-of stuff in the game or to be released online... that stuff is always interesting. Uncharted 2 did an excellent job of the making of stuff, making it worth watching. The first DS game (along with Dante's Inferno) had decent dev diaries along with Dead Space Extraction. I remember three videos with Ian Milham, but I was hoping for more videos, tech stuff, art stuff, interviews with the crew and cast. I guess they really wanted to avoid spoilers or something.

IGN reviews have always been terrible, whether it's a good score or not. Don't let this ignorant "review" sway you, the multiplayer was fantastic and I look forward to wasting hours in it.

Square Triangle said:
IGN reviews have always been terrible, whether it's a good score or not. Don't let this ignorant "review" sway you, the multiplayer was fantastic and I look forward to wasting hours in it.

I wasn't ever planning on letting that happen :)

It hyped me up more than anything actually (well, the video review did... there was no actual sound since I was at work, but the visuals are fantastic.)

Max

I am not Max
Caved in and got it on D2D for $48 CAD rather than $67 at gamestop. Plus i'll be able to play in the morning

Teknoman

I guess the steam version doesnt use steamworks for multiplayer match making. Im in the PS3 version for the free extraction HD and the continuation of Issac's story, but the multiplayer should serve as a nice diversion when you dont feel like sitting down to play for awhile.

Reminds me more of Natural Selection than Left 4 Dead.

codecow

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I haven't watched this myself, but here's a video of DS2 running on a PC with high settings (from IGN):

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/01/21/dead-space-2-monster-closet-gameplay

Just speaking from experience, if you run on PC at high resolutions on even a moderate machine you can get 100+ FPS, the animation is so smooth it brings a tear to my eye. I routinely trip out on it and start rambling, "OMG... OMG... The frame rate! So smooth!!! OMG..." and it goes like that for about 5 minutes and then I snap out of it.

Edit: MonkeyPants can confirm this behavior.

Jin

Max said:
Computer and Video Games reports that the game's executive producer Steve Papoutsis states, "Out of the box, we're hopeful the PC version this time will respond a lot better and that people will be a lot more comfortable and happier with the controls. That is feedback we've heard and we're certainly trying to address it."

Thank god. I bought Dead Space for $5 on Steam last night and the mouse and keyboard was awful. After researching I had to disable Vsync in the game, force Vsync and triple buffering in Nvidia control panel to get a playable controls.

Draft

codecow said:
Just speaking from experience, if you run on PC at high resolutions on even a moderate machine you can get 100+ FPS, the animation is so smooth it brings a tear to my eye. I routinely trip out on it and start rambling, "OMG... OMG... The frame rate! So smooth!!! OMG..." and it goes like that for about 5 minutes and then I snap out of it.

Edit: MonkeyPants can confirm this behavior.
Yeah, it's a bummer that the only way to get all the free stuff is with the PS3 version. I have to eschew the superior version to satisfy my frugal nature.

Irish

Teknoman said:
So can people playing as Necromorphs actually be dismembered, changing up the way they have to play while alive?

Yeah, the Necro team can be dismembered, but in the beta, it didn't really affect gameplay all that much.

If a Pack lost an arm, he'd only be able to attack with one arm, but he'd still be able to perform a paired attack. The same thing happened when you lost your head even though the execution involved with the paired attack required the Pack to bite the head off the human.

The Lurker would lose one or more of their aiming reticules/projectiles if their tentacles were cut off.

Of course, that may have changed in the final release. Personally, I'd love to be able to use the little Shoot Off Limb/Use Kinesis to Grab Limb/Impale Enemy combo from the campaign in the Multiplayer.

rhino4evr

So is it safe to say that Dead Space is the new "it" survival horror franchise?

Resident Evil and Silent Hill have fallen so far....

Ps I don't care about the multiplayer at all.

newsguy

rhino4evr said:
So is it safe to say that Dead Space is the new "it" survival horror franchise?

Resident Evil and Silent Hill have fallen so far....

Ps I don't care about the multiplayer at all.

The reviewers seem to think so. DS1 was way better than either of those games' latest entries IMO.

Top Bottom