• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Nirolak said:
Vandal - 9.2

Also, NTGYK seems to really hate regular OXM. :p

Wha...? What makes you say that? Haha, I think I just forgot to add that review into the OP... though if I subconsciously hate it for some other reason, there's no helping it.

timkunedo said:
official thread needs a better title. That being said i am stoked for this!!

Well... nothing stopping you from suggesting one, but I'm fond of the Sharpie one. Sharpies are cool.

Minamu

codecow said:
Just speaking from experience, if you run on PC at high resolutions on even a moderate machine you can get 100+ FPS, the animation is so smooth it brings a tear to my eye. I routinely trip out on it and start rambling, "OMG... OMG... The frame rate! So smooth!!! OMG..." and it goes like that for about 5 minutes and then I snap out of it.

Edit: MonkeyPants can confirm this behavior.
You might need help :lol On that note, I heard a girl say "lol" out loud tonight. I just had to hug her :lol

Teknoman

newsguy said:
The reviewers seem to think so. DS1 was way better than either of those games' latest entries IMO.

Alot creepier on the horror side, yeah. RE5 was pretty atmospheric, and fun as hell in co-op, but nothing really as far as being straight up horror.

Dead Space was pretty scary but I still give the nod to Bioshock. Although I'm completely bias in every way as that's the best game this generation for me.=X

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Wha...? What makes you say that? Haha, I think I just forgot to add that review into the OP... though if I subconsciously hate it for some other reason, there's no helping it.
Oh, it must have been a simultaneous edit.

I added it and the IGN review in, and then it disappeared, so I figured you deleted it. lol

Nirolak said:
Oh, it must have been a simultaneous edit.

I added it and the IGN review in, and then it disappeared, so I figured you deleted it. lol

Whoa... trippy... I thought I added the IGN review in.

Minamu said:
You might need help :lol On that note, I heard a girl say "lol" out loud tonight. I just had to hug her :lol

She said 'lol' so you hugged her?
With your penis
?

I really wanted the PC version, but the PS3 collector's edition has too much awesome packed in. I'll just be disappointed if it turns out to be the inferior version compared the PC and 360.

vocab

Square Triangle said:
Dead Space was pretty scary but I still give the nod to Bioshock. Although I'm completely bias in every way as that's the best game this generation for me.=X

Bioshock took a lot of cues from System Shock 2, while Dead Space took its cues from RE4. Guess which one has more atmosphere :p

Minamu

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
She said 'lol' so you hugged her?
With your penis
?
No xD wtf. She wasn't some random girl. It was just funny to hear someone else use it as just a regular word in real life (and I've had a few tequila shots, okay? :) ).

vocab said:
Bioshock took a lot of cues from System Shock 2, while Dead Space took its cues from RE4. Guess which one has more atmosphere :p

I think that when it shines, RE4's atmosphere is better. Like the farm at night.

Max

I am not Max
vocab said:
Dead Space cues from System Shock 2?

Agreed!

Plissken

I got a very System Shock 2 vibe from Dead Space, which is a big part of the reason I enjoyed it as much as I did.

Lone protagonist trying to fix and flee a derelict spaceship? Check.
Ordered around by someone who you later find is not who they claim to be? Check.
Enemy that re-purposes the bodies of the crew to make your enemies? Check.
Upgrading weapons and armor via ship stores? Check.
Audio/video logs that flesh out the story? Check.

In my mind, Dead Space took the body of RE4 and the soul of SS2 and merged them, creating one of the best survival horror games of the last 5 years or so.

Muffdraul

There's an old Dead Space thread here somewhere where someone listed all of the similarities between Dead Space and System Shock 2 and the list was pretty huge. Taken one a time, each individual point could be blown off as "Oh, well, I mean, lots of sci-fi/horror games have that." But taken all together, it's hard to deny. I would bet at least a couple people on the DS design team design team are big SS2 fans. Cheers to them.

So is it safe to say that Dead Space is the new "it" survival horror franchise?

Classic survival horror is dead and gone (thanks, RE4) and Dead Space is as close as you can get right now. I just wish it had some competition.

Muffdraul said:
Classic survival horror is dead and gone (thanks, RE4) and Dead Space is as close as you can get right now. I just wish it had some competition.

Well, if you consider Dead Space to be action-horror (and if you think action-horror has just supplanted survival-horror), then it does have some competition. There's Alan Wake, the FEAR series, Condemned, uh... upcoming Silent Hill, and uh... that's actually all I got. At least on consoles. On the PC, survival-horror is kept alive by Frictional Games in their Penumbra series and in Amnesia (though I've never played either series). But Dead Space outclasses any other game on consoles (at least, IMO).

From what I understand there is no Move support for the PS3 version of Dead Space 2 (only Extraction)?

Does anyone know if there are any plans on adding it in a future update?

Luthos

Stupid question, but can you play Extraction on PS3 with just the controller? Or is it Move only?

Oh and this Hardcore mode in DS2 sounds pretty cool. Might have to try a run through it after I play the game normally.

Max

I am not Max
Luthos said:
Stupid question, but can you play Extraction on PS3 with just the controller? Or is it Move only?
Yep. And that's not a stupid question! I had wondered the same

Replicant

So I'm guessing no one has received their game yet, have they? I was just wondering if retailers will ship the game game earlier than the release date.

K' Dash

Replicant said:
So I'm guessing no one has received their game yet, have they? I was just wondering if retailers will ship the game game earlier than the release date.

I'm going to pick mine this afternoon.

codecow

unrenowned said:
From what I understand there is no Move support for the PS3 version of Dead Space 2 (only Extraction)?

Does anyone know if there are any plans on adding it in a future update?

Currently there are no plans to patch in support.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Templar Wizard said:
g2play have it for 25€ EA Download manager
pretty sweet deal

so far everyone of my g2play purchases have worked but I'd like to hear some confirmation that this works before I bite.

shuyin_

Banned
Square Triangle said:
Bioshock is an amazing game, but what the heck was scary about it?

Yeah if anything Bioshock 2 was way creepier but no one played it because they put the first one on such a stupidly high pedestal that it prevented them from playing a great sequel.

shuyin_

Banned
Rickard said:
The Dentist.
Wasn't scary for me. Nothing was remotely scary in Bioshock. No fear - the creepy kind or the jump kind. EH, well, everyone has a subjective meaning for horror

Thrakier

Bioshock wasn't scary at all and DS only for the first 15 minutes or so. The last scary game I played was SH2, I guess. Or Siren, in a way...wait no, those games where you had to take photos were very scary.

Thrakier said:
Bioshock wasn't scary at all and DS only for the first 15 minutes or so. The last scary game I played was SH2, I guess. Or Siren, in a way...wait no, those games where you had to take photos were very scary.

Well it's an emotion, so subjective yes. I thought Bioshock was scary

rSpooky

Just saw this for sale at the local kmart today as I went in to pick up LBP2. Didnt get it because I have tons of games coming out soon. :/ was tempted for a moment tho.

K' Dash

I got mine, played it for an hour and it's awesome.

Minor spoilers:

Right now I don't know what the fuck is going on, Isaac woke up and everything was destroyed and shit, I hoped I could see the infection taking over the city :-/ but that's no deal breaker, still awesome as fuck

Ihya

shuyin_ said:
Wasn't scary for me. Nothing was remotely scary in Bioshock. No fear - the creepy kind or the jump kind. EH, well, everyone has a subjective meaning for horror

Nothing scary in Bioshock at all. But then I feel the same for Dead Space. Amnesia freaked me out a few times.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Ihya said:
Nothing scary in Bioshock at all. But then I feel the same for Dead Space. Amnesia freaked me out a few times.

encountering redeads underground in ocarina of time is scarier than anything i experienced in bioshock or dead space combined.

the moment the face reanimates and begins chasing you after you pick up the key in mario 2, same thing.

every encounter with nemesis in resident evil 3.

this is fear.

K' Dash said:
I got mine, played it for an hour and it's awesome.

Minor spoilers:

Right now I don't know what the fuck is going on, Isaac woke up and everything was destroyed and shit, I hoped I could see the infection taking over the city :-/ but that's no deal breaker, still awesome as fuck

Yeah, all you people getting it early? I hate you.

I want it early. I want it now.

K' Dash

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Yeah, all you people getting it early? I hate you.

I want it early. I want it now.

I didn't even looked for it lol, a couple of friends work at a retail store near my house and called me when the games arrived, right now I'm finishing DKCR, so I'll probably play it for real till next week.

Irish

brandonh83 said:
Yeah if anything Bioshock 2 was way creepier but no one played it because they put the first one on such a stupidly high pedestal that it prevented them from playing a great sequel.

I wouldn't really say that it was way creepier, though I totally agree with your second point. I couldn't stand the original in the least, but I found the sequel to be a pretty cool experience. It definitely was a lot more fun.

Screw you guys getting this game early. I have a half-dozen papers to write before now and the actual release date. :/

K' Dash said:
I didn't even looked for it lol, a couple of friends work at a retail store near my house and called me when the games arrived, right now I'm finishing DKCR, so I'll probably play it for real till next week.

Is this store in Vancouver by any chance?

Played the first 3 chapters.
That 1.5 hours alone was scarier than all of Bioshock or DS1.
The atmosphere is amazing; the sound design is fucking insane. There is a set-piece
train level - shown on GT
that is super fun.

Only negatives so far are linearity (kind of enjoyed not knowing where to go next in DS1) and I don't care for Isaac's VO. Otherwise, so so awesome.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Played the first 3 chapters.
That 1.5 hours alone was scarier than all of Bioshock or DS1.
The atmosphere is amazing; the sound design is fucking insane. There is a set-piece
train level - shown on GT
that is super fun.

Only negatives so far are linearity (kind of enjoyed not knowing where to go next in DS1) and I don't care for Isaac's VO. Otherwise, so so awesome.

Fuck the Marker, you guys are gonna drive me insane.

Grisby

brandonh83 said:

You said it. Bioshock was creepy because you got to see how far an idea/way of life could go awry. In Bioshock 2 it went even further where Rapture was just a seedy ghost in which someone was trying to tie it all together.

beelzebozo said:
how is the plasma cutter, d.a.?

and keep us updated on how the weapon economy is. that's vital.
great as always. it's kind of neat that you get the old DS1 plasma cutter on top of the DS2 plasma cutter. I just figured they would replace the new with the old if you chose that. the economy seems very fair so far. the new weapon (spoilers wary? - not sure how much has been revealed) is great. only thing i struggled with is choosing difficulty. i went with normal but considering there's 5 to choose from, i'm thinking maybe I should have chosen one above normal. oh well, next run.

Top Bottom