• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
YES! Hardcore complete. One fine platinum trophy for me. What a challange, good fun all around. The Finger gun is pretty funny. I really hope we get some more single player DLC.

But for now we celebrate and rest.

Same for me. Finished mine last night. Most satisfying achievement since Mile High Club.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but are there prints of Dead Space 2 for PS3 starting to show up without Extraction included yet? I'm currently spending a year abroad and I'm worried I'll need to buy it sooner rather than later if I want it on disk... even if I don't get to play it for a year.

BluWacky

YulB.Yeung said:
Sorry if this has already been asked, but are there prints of Dead Space 2 for PS3 starting to show up without Extraction included yet? I'm currently spending a year abroad and I'm worried I'll need to buy it sooner rather than later if I want it on disk... even if I don't get to play it for a year.

Yes. Don't know what country you're in, but I bought what said it was the Special Edition a few weeks back and it only came with a demo of Extraction rather than the full game.

Irritating.

SamuraiX-

The latter part of Chapter 7...

Fucking revolutionary stuff. Bravo. The Zero G stuff in Dead Space doesn't even hold a candle to the sections in this game. Everything about that section with the Solar Array was just so well done. Truly amazing. Gotta love the express route Isaac uses to get back down to the colony. Combined with the conversation he had with Ellie where he ends it off with "I'll be there!" just makes it feel all the more awesome.

I think I could play an entire game like that where all you do is fly around space fixing shit. Make it happen, Visceral!

I'm stuck on chapter 13. I've killed the last brute at the bottom of 3 level room and the door won't open. There is supposed to be a hacking panel to the left of the door but it's gone. I've tried reloading my save, restarting my checkpoint, going all the way back as far as I can in the level but to no avail. Are there any level select cheat codes or ways of transmitting Xbox saves between hard drives?

edit: apparently this is a game breaking glitch that needs to be fixed with a patch, which sucks donkey balls. I was playing on survivor or whatever and had a dead space 1 save so who knows why this glitch happened.

I ended up plowing through it surprisingly fast on casual, like 4 or 5 hours total just to see the last 10 minutes of gameplay and unlocking hardcore.

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
Congrats ^5

fce9c.jpg

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
So I'm in a bit of a trilemma... for those who've played them all, should I get this, AC:B or Bulletstorm? How big a jump is this over the original? Also I loved Assassin's Creed 2, Bulletstorm looks awesome but for my money I want to get something that will actually last a good amount of time... they're all roughly the same price.

SamuraiX-

Superimposer said:
So I'm in a bit of a trilemma... for those who've played them all, should I get this, AC:B or Bulletstorm? How big a jump is this over the original? Also I loved Assassin's Creed 2, Bulletstorm looks awesome but for my money I want to get something that will actually last a good amount of time... they're all roughly the same price.

I've only played this and AC:B.

If you're looking for what's gonna last a good amount of time, then probably Bulletstorm, just for the fact that it's a FPS and everybody is addicted to the genre nowadays. I heard the online is kinda broken though. Everyone was hyping it up, but I don't see anything that special that differentiates it from other FPS games with its "kill with skill" gameplay mechanic being its selling point. Though on a technical level, the game looks incredibly good.

AC:B has an online component also, but it feels incomplete. Like we paid money to continue testing out the beta version of it. If you enjoyed the gameplay of Assassin's Creed II then AC:B is pretty much that with more whipped cream on top. If you go out of your way to complete the side quests along with the main story missions, the game could last you quite a bit. It took me a week or two to get all the single player trophies and that was when I was on break. It depends how much you care about the series. My interest in the story and the lore is what pushed me to impose that completionist attitude with the game.

Most people would probably agree that Dead Space 2 is an upgrade over the original. If you thought the original was boring, dull, slow, uninspired, repetitive, etc., but still had at least a little fun with it, then you should enjoy the second one. The development team has made a lot of subtle, along with some major touch-ups that appears to have made the game appeal to a wider audience. I can't tell if it's longer yet. It feels about the same length as the first one but broken up into more chapters. Not much of a reason to replay the game unless you want more trophies or more of a challenge with the Hardcore difficulty, which I do. The online component, from what I hear, is fun for a little bit but nothing you'll probably invest heavy hours into. I would definitely call Dead Space 2's campaign the single player experience of the year so far, and I'm still only on Chapter 8!

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
SamuraiX- said:
I've only played this and AC:B.

If you're looking for what's gonna last a good amount of time, then probably Bulletstorm, just for the fact that it's a FPS and everybody is addicted to the genre nowadays. I heard the online is kinda broken though. Everyone was hyping it up, but I don't see anything that special that differentiates it from other FPS games with its "kill with skill" gameplay mechanic being its selling point. Though on a technical level, the game looks incredibly good.

AC:B has an online component also, but it feels incomplete. Like we paid money to continue testing out the beta version of it. If you enjoyed the gameplay of Assassin's Creed II then AC:B is pretty much that with more whipped cream on top. If you go out of your way to complete the side quests along with the main story missions, the game could last you quite a bit. It took me a week or two to get all the single player trophies and that was when I was on break. It depends how much you care about the series. My interest in the story and the lore is what pushed me to impose that completionist attitude with the game.

Most people would probably agree that Dead Space 2 is an upgrade over the original. If you thought the original was boring, dull, slow, uninspired, repetitive, etc., but still had at least a little fun with it, then you should enjoy the second one. The development team has made a lot of subtle, along with some major touch-ups that appears to have made the game appeal to a wider audience. I can't tell if it's longer yet. It feels about the same length as the first one but broken up into more chapters. Not much of a reason to replay the game unless you want more trophies or more of a challenge with the Hardcore difficulty, which I do. The online component, from what I hear, is fun for a little bit but nothing you'll probably invest heavy hours into. I would definitely call Dead Space 2's campaign the single player experience of the year so far, and I'm still only on Chapter 8!

Thanks, a proper thorough answer, I think I'll go with this!

Minamu

Survival horror fans may be interested in this thread of mine. *pimp*
Click it :D

As my last post there says, we're are gonna have a live stream presentation of our game (together with 9 other student groups) on Friday morning, 8AM CET (though we are after our lunch, local time).

Would be neat if someone from EA watched us ;) A few students from my town recently won an award at the BAFTAs for a game called Twang :)

This is the stream!

I still stand by the plot hole claim regarding all the writing and candles on the walls in the same areas you visited earlier. . . basically it's not possible someone could've done all that work with necros running around in that short of time you were away from the areas you visited earlier in the game (sprawl areas - laundry, shopping disctrict etc.)

There is also no indication that the writing and candles everywhere is just his imagination.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
CadetMahoney said:
I still stand by the plot hole claim regarding all the writing and candles on the walls in the same areas you visited earlier. . . basically it's not possible someone could've done all that work with necros running around in that short of time you were away from the areas you visited earlier in the game (sprawl areas - laundry, shopping disctrict etc.)

There is also no indication that the writing and candles everywhere is just his imagination.

The idea wasn't necessarily that they had done that all during the outbreak. The idea was that as a marker was discovered on Titan Station (which pre-dates the necromorphic infection), Unitologists from all over the station came to their church. They anticipated the coming convergence and were ritualistically praying and communing there.

Monkey Pants

Minamu said:
Survival horror fans may be interested in this thread of mine. *pimp*
Click it :D

As my last post there says, we're are gonna have a live stream presentation of our game (together with 9 other student groups) on Friday morning, 8AM CET (though we are after our lunch, local time).

Would be neat if someone from EA watched us ;) A few students from my town recently won an award at the BAFTAs for a game called Twang :)

This is the stream!

Congrats! Good feeling, isn't it?

Minamu

Monkey Pants said:
Congrats! Good feeling, isn't it?
Thanks :) Yes, it's nice to see other students do well. They've been quite happy on Facebook, as you can imagine. I'm kinda nervous about the presentation, not that anyone online will understand a word I'm saying, but still :D The game is in English though, and we're aiming for a torrent release next week :)

Now, I reached the big pack of stalkers tonight. Standing in a corner didn't work very well! I was gonna try to kite them to the stairs since I recognised the area from the video preview with Papoutsis on Gamespot, but they were too smart to fall for it :(

Monkey Pants said:
The idea wasn't necessarily that they had done that all during the outbreak. The idea was that as a marker was discovered on Titan Station (which pre-dates the necromorphic infection), Unitologists from all over the station came to their church. They anticipated the coming convergence and were ritualistically praying and communing there.

And by "discovered" you mean
built using the codes in Stross and Isaac's head
right?

SamuraiX-

Monkey Pants said:

I think he was referring to the beginning stages of the game where when you first make your way through them there isn't any sign of candles or script writing and then it suddenly appears when you revisit the same areas not too long afterwards.

SamuraiX- said:
I think he was referring to the beginning stages of the game where when you first make your way through them there isn't any sign of candles or script writing and then it suddenly appears when you revisit the same areas not too long afterwards.

I never really realized that on my first playthrough, but on my subsequent playthroughs, I thought to myself that Isaac was hallucinating the graffiti on the wall... cause of some of the strange things written there, why would people write stuff like "What are you willing to give up for what you love?" or "Mommy is sick/I'm scared".

How often do people actually write that? Though I guess they were in the throes of madness, so whatever. It makes for a creepy atmosphere.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I never really realized that on my first playthrough, but on my subsequent playthroughs, I thought to myself that Isaac was hallucinating the graffiti on the wall... cause of some of the strange things written there, why would people write stuff like "What are you willing to give up for what you love?" or "Mommy is sick/I'm scared".

How often do people actually write that? Though I guess they were in the throes of madness, so whatever. It makes for a creepy atmosphere.

It really makes me sad that we couldn't
go back and check out Issac's cell
in Severed (yes, I know,
rushing to save Lexine
, etc., etc.). I really wanted to see what he'd written on the walls (if anything).

luxarific

Nork unification denier
AlStrong said:
With a straitjacket on? :p

I'm assuming he wasn't in straitjacket for three years. :p Apparently there -is- writing on the wall, but if you stay to look you'll be killed in a few seconds by that first Necromorph.

Roscoe

Neo Member
luxarific said:
I'm assuming he wasn't in straitjacket for three years. :p Apparently there -is- writing on the wall, but if you stay to look you'll be killed in a few seconds by that first Necromorph.

I took the end of Ignition and beginning of DS2 to imply Isaac was put on cold storage in between sessions in the dark machine.

MrPliskin

Banned
What's the consensus on the Hacker Contact beam? Is it worth upgrading at all?

Edit: NM, just noticed that the upgrades carry over. Nice.

Monkey Pants

ILOVEASIANS said:
And by "discovered" you mean
built using the codes in Stross and Isaac's head
right?

Well, the
Earthgov folks clearly didn't discover it, but the rest of the population of the Sprawl did gradually find out about it before the events of DS2. There were protests by citizens and more Unitologists came to the stations to be a part of it, anticipating convergence but also protesting the government "infidels" perverting the true purpose of the Marker.

Monkey Pants said:
Well, the
Earthgov folks clearly didn't discover it, but the rest of the population of the Sprawl did gradually find out about it before the events of DS2. There were protests by citizens and more Unitologists came to the stations to be a part of it, anticipating convergence but also protesting the government "infidels" perverting the true purpose of the Marker.

Is that part of VG's "series bible" or something? I don't recall that being mentioned in any of the DS media I've gone through.

But interesting stuff.

SamuraiX-

Ok, so now I think I'm about halfway through chapter 10...
just arrived at the medical deck. Did anybody else get a smug, "fuck this shit" type of look on your face after that convo with Ellie before the tram was stopped? I know I couldn't wait to visit my most favorite fucking area from the first Dead Space! Not like this place scared the fucking shit out of me enough!

And I couldn't agree more with the complaints in here. It feels like the game has gone from challenging to cheap with all these dark forms, some in packs, attacking you now (which I could deal with in the first Dead Space), but now they're even ambushing you from behind without any indication.

I have no idea how the fuck this game is possible on Hardcore. Thinking about my Hardcore run is already scarring me more than anything in this game has so far.

And basically what all of you are telling me is that it only gets worse in the chapters to come and I honestly can't even imagine how. Visceral certainly has outdone themselves with these ridiculous monster spawns.
Please don't fucking do this in Dead Space 3. It's not fun nor challenging. It's just cheap.

SamuraiX- said:
Ok, so now I think I'm about halfway through chapter 10...
just arrived at the medical deck. Did anybody else get a smug, "fuck this shit" type of look on your face after that convo with Ellie before the tram was stopped? I know I couldn't wait to visit my most favorite fucking area from the first Dead Space! Not like this place scared the fucking shit out of me enough!

And I couldn't agree more with the complaints in here. It feels like the game has gone from challenging to cheap with all these dark forms, some in packs, attacking you now (which I could deal with in the first Dead Space), but now they're even ambushing you from behind without any indication.

I have no idea how the fuck this game is possible on Hardcore. Thinking about my Hardcore run is already scarring me more than anything in this game has so far.

And basically what all of you are telling me is that it only gets worse in the chapters to come and I honestly can't even imagine how. Visceral certainly has outdone themselves with these ridiculous monster spawns.
Please don't fucking do this in Dead Space 3. It's not fun nor challenging. It's just cheap.

Sadly, it gets a LOT worse. In my opinion, chapter 10 is the last truly great chapter, as although it does mark the beginning of the gangrapes the game decides to throw at you, it's manageable if you don't hang around in certain areas, and of course you have the
nostalgia factor
to make up for it. Starting with chapter 11, the game seems to go mental with necromorph spawns, and a lot of the game's creativity is seemingly abandoned. It's still good, but it's a big step down from the quality of the rest of the game.

SamuraiX-

Ben2749 said:
Sadly, it gets a LOT worse. In my opinion, chapter 10 is the last truly great chapter, as although it does mark the beginning of the gangrapes the game decides to throw at you, it's manageable if you don't hang around in certain areas, and of course you have the
nostalgia factor
to make up for it. Starting with chapter 11, the game seems to go mental with necromorph spawns, and a lot of the game's creativity is seemingly abandoned. It's still good, but it's a big step down from the quality of the rest of the game.

I actually made it to the final boss last night, which is equally a bitch. I think I have enough ammunition (I hope), but I feel like I didn't bring enough medical supplies and I'm getting fucked up by
those little dark minions. I try to herd them together and then one or two good blasts from the Force Gun usually wipes them all out, but then when I'm running from them again and trying to damage Nicole, at the same time, they fuck me up bad since they come from all directions.

There are so many places where I would have wanted to save in the last 5 chapters that I have no idea how I would manage a Hardcore run.

I found myself saying, in disappointment, multiple times: "This isn't Dead Space" when traversing from about halfway through Chapter 10 to this final boss fight.

Oh, and btw, I think the concept of the final boss fight is fucking awesome. Don't know why people were making complaints about it being anti-climatic, boring, lame, etc.

Roscoe

Neo Member
SamuraiX- said:
I actually made it to the final boss last night, which is equally a bitch. I think I have enough ammunition (I hope), but I feel like I didn't bring enough medical supplies and I'm getting fucked up by
those little dark minions. I try to herd them together and then one or two good blasts from the Force Gun usually wipes them all out, but then when I'm running from them again and trying to damage Nicole, at the same time, they fuck me up bad since they come from all directions.

You are wasting your time with the little ones, concentrate on her with the Force Gun. Hit the boss until she disappears and then damage the target that pops up. When she pops up just run up and blast her two three times, and then switch to plasma cutter or contact beam.

SamuraiX-

Roscoe said:
You are wasting your time with the little ones, concentrate on her with the Force Gun. Hit the boss until she disappears and then damage the target that pops up. When she pops up just run up and blast her two three times, and then switch to plasma cutter or contact beam.

Hm. Well, I'm playing on Zealot difficult. You sure it still only takes two or three blasts? I haven't put many nodes in my Force Gun.

Those little fucks do a lot of damage if you let them crowd you.

Roscoe

Neo Member
SamuraiX- said:
Hm. Well, I'm playing on Zealot difficult. You sure it still only takes two or three blasts? I haven't put many nodes in my Force Gun.

Those little fucks do a lot of damage if you let them crowd you.

My first time was on survivalist, but on my Zealot playthrough I used the same strategy. If you can I would dump a few into the force gun from another weapon, but with minimal upgrade it shouldn't take too much to be effective. I agree with you that the kids are a bitch if they get you cornered, I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were bad at DS2 or anything.

SamuraiX-

Roscoe said:
My first time was on survivalist, but on my Zealot playthrough I used the same strategy. If you can I would dump a few into the force gun from another weapon, but with minimal upgrade it shouldn't take too much to be effective. I agree with you that the kids are a bitch if they get you cornered, I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were bad at DS2 or anything.

Oh, no way man. My bad if my post made it sound like I was being a prick. Was just wondering if this could also work on Zealot difficulty. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot on my next run at the boss. ;)

And I swear to God those little bastards just makes me so reminiscent of another particular game's ending sequence.

Now I have a really strong urge to play this in the background during this final boss fight. Feels like it would fit perfectly.

In fact... (SPOILERS if you haven't reached the final boss) what do you guys think? I can't be the first one who's thought of this.

Tip: Turn the volume down to about half on the Dead Space video for the appropriate experience.

ILOVEASIANS said:
Same for me. Finished mine last night. Most satisfying achievement since Mile High Club.

Im doing my Hard Core run atm. Its such a pain in the ass.. I always get confused between using my Force gun and Contact Beam since i use them mainly as aeo's (Force guns main fire and contact beams alt fire). So i always end up dying from using the wrong fire..

My first save is at ch7 (b4 the elevator). Im currently working to get to my next save at ch12 but I'm probably gona have to cut that short.

Grats on the achievement though.. Cant wait to get that accomplished feeling. Too much raging going on.

itzknickknac said:
Im doing my Hard Core run atm. Its such a pain in the ass.. I always get confused between using my Force gun and Contact Beam since i use them mainly as aeo's (Force guns main fire and contact beams alt fire). So i always end up dying from using the wrong fire..

My first save is at ch7 (b4 the elevator). Im currently working to get to my next save at ch12 but I'm probably gona have to cut that short.

Grats on the achievement though.. Cant wait to get that accomplished feeling. Too much raging going on.

Nice. Making it to Chapter 12 for your second save is definitely doable. I did it on my run, just be careful of the decompression window in Chapter 9. One missed shot could make you replay two chapters.

As for the Force gun vs Contact beam, I really only used the Contact Beam on Tanks and on the last gauntlet run. A fully upgraded Force Gun makes short work of most enemies at close range.

ILOVEASIANS said:
Nice. Making it to Chapter 12 for your second save is definitely doable. I did it on my run, just be careful of the decompression window in Chapter 9. One missed shot could make you replay two chapters.

As for the Force gun vs Contact beam, I really only used the Contact Beam on Tanks and on the last gauntlet run. A fully upgraded Force Gun makes short work of most enemies at close range.

I didnt think of that ill have to go for that then. I've actually managed to get to Ch11 which I'm working on right now so hopefully i dont make any mistakes til then.

SamuraiX-

Finally beat it. Amazing. What a game.

The Good
- Isaac's voice actor. Loved him. Bring him back.
- The engaging cutscenes and cinematic sequences.
- The story. Damn the haters. Keep it coming.
- The Zero G sequences. MAJOR upgrade in terms of moving around.
- Lighting, sound effects, visual design, and animations all taking a great leap from the first game. Brilliant job in all of these categories as always.
- The transition from chapter to chapter, making the game feel like a seamless experience from beginning to end.
- The improved use of melee and the telekinesis impalement mechanic.
- Bringing back all the old weapons as well as introducing new ones.
- The revamped controls. Took a while to get used to, but I like them better than those of the first game now.

The Bad
- The necromorphs are weaker, easier to kill. A single necromorph doesn't feel as threatening as it should be anymore.
- There is a much greater abundance of necromorphs. Didn't really like the jump in formula. Felt like the whole tactical dismemberment mechanic was almost nonexistent at first compared to how well established it was in the first game.
- Abusing the shit out of the dark form necromorphs. Whenever I saw one of these in the first games I had that "Oh shit!" kind of feeling. Making them appear more commonly than their regular forms in the last 5 chapters is just fucking stupid. Go back to when they actually felt threatening because their appearance was uncommon.
- The Leapers. Made them way too annoying. Especially since throughout the entire game they attacked in packs. I didn't mind as much toward the end of the game that they could jump from across the map to pounce on you, but the fact that they can then hit you with an immediate tail swipe right after that with no cool down in between is just cheap.

The Ugly
- Necromorph spawns. Felt like the flow and pace of the game turned to shit in the final chapters. There could be some rooms with few or no necros, and then a single room with three times as many - all of them being dark forms.
- Necromorph spawns. The fact that three dark stalkers show up in front of you when you enter a room and then five seconds into fighting them a dark puker would show up behind you out of fucking nowhere is just stupid. This happened a few times in the first Dead Space, but never so many times and never did it feel as cheap as in Dead Space 2.
- Necromorph spawns. By the end of the game it felt like I was actually playing/enjoying it when moving through some rooms, and then engaging in a giant trial and error shitfest in other rooms. Visceral needs to hire some new people to get down the dark/normal necro ratio, variety of necros, how many of them spawn, and WHERE they spawn, in a way that doesn't completely ruin the flow of the game.

Isaac nicely summed up my overall feelings:
"Fuck you... and fuck your marker!"

Love that line. :)

First attempt at Hardcore run today, (only acheivement left to get), got all the way through the Church and after the cut-scene with Daina, I forgot to change guns back to Plasma Cutter (was on Force Gun) and got eaten by the Tormentor! ARRRGGG! So stupid!

Was going to save just before, but as I'm on 360, wanted to make 1st save just before Solar Array.

Will take a break and go through again, was not too bad getting to the Tormentor.

I have to say that Hardcore REALLY ups the tension, but it also really makes the unskippable cutscenes even more of a pain in the ass, especially when there are QTE / button mashes and it's never totally clear what is cut-scene and what is controlled.

I generally dislike unskippable cutscenes and QTE's anyway, but they really interrupt the flow of Hardcore, and make it more frustrating.

Minamu

Haven't been playing much at all lately :( Been busy with Dead Space: Extraction instead! :D Just got the platinum (it's almost 5am here :S) and my hand hurts so bad from gripping the move controller too tight xD I was really surprised with how good this game actually is. I've had a great time :)

Now, to get back into DS2 then!

Gamer98

Banned
I think people are kinda freaking out too much about the last couple chapters and what it trows at you. When I approached the Marker and saw all the enemies below me I knew from that point on it was peddle to the metal non stop enemies and I accepted that. I really did not feel it was cheap. (I also had a Force gun witch made things easy)

Psi

Gamer98 said:
I think people are kinda freaking out too much about the last couple chapters and what it trows at you. When I approached the Marker and saw all the enemies below me I knew from that point on it was peddle to the metal non stop enemies and I accepted that. I really did not feel it was cheap. (I also had a Force gun witch made things easy)

Yeah I didn't think it was really that big of a deal. It's like everyone forgot that the last chapter of Dead Space 1 threw waves of enemies at you also and you couldn't skip most of them.

Gamer98

Banned
Psi said:
Yeah I didn't think it was really that big of a deal. It's like everyone forgot that the last chapter of Dead Space 1 threw waves of enemies at you also and you couldn't skip most of them.

I just think people are scared from the Necromorph that puts himself back together and stalks you towards the end. People freak out and panic, then start making bad decisions then end up blaming it on the devs. You have to go into the last couple chapters swingin, if you play like a bitch the game will play you like one.

Top Bottom